Painted Trellis Wall

July 26, 2010

Hiya folks, hope you had a lovely weekend !  Today I’ll show you my step by step for the hand painted trellis pattern on our wall in our bedroom.

I wanted something elegant behind our headboard but also dramatic with a hint of shimmer.  My original idea was to use wallpaper with a subtle metallic pattern, but when I saw Kristen’s wall featured on YHL a few weeks ago, I decided to this was a much easier (and cheaper) way to add the large scale design I wanted without the expense of wallpaper.

cg lattice painted wall

This 13’ x 9’ feature wall was not difficult, but it did take a lot of patience.  I created my own stencil, sketched the pattern on the wall, and then filled in the lines with acrylic craft paint, all in about six hours.

Supplies: poster board; utility knife or sharp blade; silver colored pencil; level; painter’s tape; craft paint; artist’s Filbert paintbrush.

How To:

To create the stencil, I found the pattern to inspire me from the lattice pattern rug in my living room.   I traced half of the basic pattern onto a piece of poster board, then cut it with a utility knife.  I folded the poster board in half (vertically) to trace the other half of the pattern and to make sure the left side and ride side of the pattern were symmetrical, then I cut the other half of the pattern.

cut posterboard

You can see the fold in the middle of the poster board in the picture below.   I avoided cutting a small portion of the pattern to keep the inside border connected to the outside border.

I started in the upper right corner of the wall, secured the stencil with painter’s tape, then traced the first link of the pattern.  I worked my way down the wall, using a level each time to keep the stencil straight.

use level

I used a silver colored pencil to lightly trace the pattern on the wall ~ the metallic pencil blended better with the acrylic paint than a standard lead pencil.

draw pattern

I also marked the edge of the stencil as I worked my way down to keep it vertically straight.

mark edges

Tracing the entire pattern took about 2 hours ~ once you get going you’d be surprised how quickly you can trace a repeating pattern like this.

I chose to use acrylic craft paint in ‘Metallic Taupe’ (available at Michaels) because it was a pretty champagne color, and cheaper than gloss paint!  Although you could use the gloss version of your base paint for a subtle effect, or a pearlescent paint like this one.  One bottle of $2 dollar craft paint covered the entire wall  ~ my other tool was a high quality Filbert paintbrush.

metallic taupe craft paint

Once the pattern was traced on the wall, I simply filled in the lines with paint.  If you have an ‘oops’ moment ~ and I had plenty ~ just keep a damp rag close by to correct your little imperfections . . .

paint in lines

Total time to paint the entire pattern with two coats of the craft paint was about 3.5 to 4 hours.

Before:

wall before

After:

cg trellis wall 2

cg headboard

Need more pattern inspiration ?

Here’s just a few more repeating graphics that could be reproduced with a little paint and a lot of patience!!

graham and brown darcy wallpaper

jilian wallpaper thibaut

massucco warner miller bedroom

ballard trellis wallpaper

york lattice wallpaper

Images: Graham & Brown; Thibaut; Massucco Warner Miller; Ballard Designs; York Wallcoverings

What’s the next project you’re planning with paint ?

Tags: , ,

141 Responses to “Painted Trellis Wall”

1. AC says:

CG – I love your creativity. You did an amazing job. I was wondering if you could show me the whole stencil pattern or even emailing it to me. I would love to do this project in my room too. Thanks a lot!

2. erica says:

LOVE THIS. I live in an apartment and my small wall would look great with this. Would you mind sharing the stencil?

3. Marisol Bonilla says:

It was fabulous also like the other reader can you email a way to see the whole stencil pattern… awesome work

4. Julie says:

Oh! Love the easy peasy stencil making. I’ve been drooling over the one at the Benjamin Moore site.

{Complicated but-totally-worth-it instructions: Click on Inspiration, Envision 2010, Slip (the pink) then View Rooms}

I picked up some sample paint over the weekend and am just about ready to break it to the DH that he needs to move furniture.

5. [...] {Love} Kate’s Bedroom Makeover: Centsational Girl. [...]

6. This wall turned out so beautiful. And you made it sound so easy. I am totally inspired to try this in my bedroom. I love that pattern.

7. Tina says:

You are amazing.

8. kim says:

I Love it!!! Please share the stencil with me also. I would love to do this somewhere in my salon.

9. Nathania says:

What a beautiful master bedroom! I love the wall and would be thrilled if you would be able to share the stencil pattern you used!

10. I keep looking back at this thinking how fabulous it is. I’d love to do thick vertical stripes with this metallic finish, but that would be a lot of craft paint!

11. Mohsin says:

This is lovely. Would you mind if I asked you to share the pattern with me? I really like it, and would love to try it out.

12. Liz says:

Wow! That looks amazing!

I too love the stencil and have been looking for a design like this.

Will you be sharing it??

Thanks so much!

13. Sylvia says:

Hello,
    I LOVE what you’ve done! I had bought a stencil a while back which I like but I love this. Have you been sharing your stencil? If so, I’d love to try it out too!
    Sylvia up in Canada :)

14. Abby says:

This is so beautiful! I am so inspired and would LOVE to try it out myself – would you share your stencil with me? I’d be thrilled! Thanks!

15. Alyssa says:

I don’t know if you would be willing to share the stencil, but I would LOVE it! I plan to do this in my bedroom too! Thanks so much!

P.S. I’ll send you a pic when completed!

HI Alyssa and others ~ I have yet to recreate the stencil because I need to scan it, and it’s too large to scan at home. Take a peek at this company’s ‘Moorish’ and ‘Ribbon’ stencils which are very similar.

17. LOVE, LOVE this! :) I want to paint my walls now. :)

18. Michelle says:

I love your pattern!!!! I have been wanting to do a semi-gloss vs flat pattern in a room and it might just have something to do with this post…and it might just be in the bathroom we are currently remodeling…and my husband just might KILL me for changing the paint AGAIN for the 4th time now LOL

oh dear, but it will be SO worth it in the end right? ;)

19. [...] vertically challenged, so I’m always scurrying up my step ladder to paint walls or hang wallpaper, caulk trim, or decorate in high places.  Also, I use it as a tripod for my [...]

20. Lisa says:

I am loving this! After living in my house for almost 6 years the only room that has yet to be painted is my master bedroom. It’s huge, we have dark wood, and the blankets and curtains are red and gold… Thanks for the inspiration to do this! I hope to get this done this year for sure! It’s officially on my 2011 list of things to do! :)

21. Andy says:

I have been checking out your site and this is one of my favorite posts of all. It has totally inspired me to use patterns on my own walls – I can’t decide between paint and wallpaper – you’ve given me a lot to think about!

22. Mandy says:

I love your website! My 17 y/o daughter has been trying to make a decision on the color of her room. I showed her this pic of the stenciled wall and she said, “I want to do that!”. Could you please share the paint colors (including the stencil paint) on the walls? Thank you sooo much!

23. I’ve wanted to do this for awhile in our master, but I don’t think I have the patience (or the skill!). I saw a post by A Little Lovely where she used a stencil you can roll with, and have been contemplating that….(http://blueribbonstudio.blogspot.com/2011/01/where-do-you-find-time.html)

24. Maha says:

Hey,
    Your room looks amazing. I was wondering if you could tell me what base color you used for the walls. Is the opulence pearl similar to what you used for the trellis details?
    Thanks a lot!

25. Ellen says:

I, too, would love to know the base color. Thanks so much for such an inspiration idea!

26. megan says:

Oh my heck….I am in love with your site. I love love love your room. Can you let me know what color the base coat is???? Such an awesome idea. Also, if you don’t mind can I get a copy of the stencil too….you are amazing. I wish I could be so creative.

Thanks.

27. Niki says:

Beautiful and amazing. I love your blog and am now a follower. I also wanted to let you know that I featured you and your work on this post in a post of mine a few days ago. Thanks for all of the inspiration!

28. Ellen says:

I had inquired about the paint color, but I just found it here: The color is Nantucket Gray by Benjamin Moore.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

29. Daniella says:

if you’re using a large wall stencil, do you think I could use the folk art paint and a foam roller??

30. betsy says:

hello, i am ordering the stencil but what color/brand paint did you use. my foyer is made up of greys and i wanted to use a soft metalic. thanks! cant wait

31. [...] I’m also toying with the idea of doing some sort of painted wallpaper on this back wall like Censtational Girl did in her bedroom or even putting a wall vinyl chandelier above the [...]

32. ulpv says:

33. [...] is great, just be careful not to blend too many. Subtle is key. I think the image below from Centsational Girl is the perfect amount of [...]

34. Cheryl Allen says:

Can I get a copy of the stencil ? I would like to try it!

Hi Cheryl, I made that one myself, but you can find very similar ones here:

36. Marilyn Shoults says:

I have been searching for a pattern I could see in my minds eye for many months. My bathroom is waiting to be completed as soon as I find what I wanted. I had seen the a trellis pattern on an episode of Candice Olsons on HGTV (yes I am addicted) it was on the wall in her office. Which I had been unable to find as as a stencil anywhere or even the wallpaper.

Your blog has it, it is the york pattern, BUT after all the hours spent hunting for it or something close to it, I really like the pattern you drew better ! My bathroom is cottage style with bead board and your pattern has a fishnet appearance with the overlapping lines. And I see I am not the only one who loves it.I But, saw no answer as to how get it. Are you sharing (or selling) the pattern? I have not 1 bit of drawing ability. My talents are in another arena. I would be so grateful and will send you a picture of my finished bathroom.

Hi Maryilyn, thanks so much! I simply copied it from a rug in my home and don’t have the pattern available for sale or in a large PDF format, I’m so sorry! One of my sponsors has very similar stencils, check out Cutting Edge Stencils line of geometric and lattice patterns here:

38. E ioy says:

Hi Kate!

Can you please share with me the name and brand of your base coat!? I have tried to look at your post with all of the names of paint in your house, however i can’t seem to find this particular one.

Thanks for all of your inspirations!!!

Emily

Hi Emily, do you mean that olive gray paint? It’s Ben Moore’s Nantucket Gray.

40. Meaghan S. says:

I am in awe of the wall! The scale is so perfect. What is the size of the stencil you made? I am going to make it tomorrow. Any additional tips that you would suggest? Thank you for sharing your beautiful design.

41. Christy says:

I can’t even tell you how much I love this (just discovered your site today and I’m kind of obsessed – you’re SO talented). I see that you have referred people to stencil sites since you created your own – the thing is: yours is perfect. I really recommend you PDF it and sell it.

Thank you for sharing your amazing talents with all of us.