Brass Menagerie

July 8, 2014

Three weeks ago I purchased a showy little peacock for my growing collection of brass animals and today a big fish. These animal figurines add warmth and character to a room and the antiqued brass vintage versions are the perfect little accent for a mantel or bookshelf vignette. Yes they’ve been popular for a few years, but I’m still smitten and I may be in danger of becoming that crazy brass animal lady.

West Elm just added two to their fall collection so I know I am not alone in my affection for these shiny creatures. Soon I’ll have my own zoo, would that be so wrong?

brass animal collection

brass animal bookends

brass horse and elephant

image sources: one kings lane / adore magazine / peppermint bliss

Get your fix with these charming brass creatures …

brass animal figurines

pelican / armadillo / fish / antelope pair / peacock pair / buck pair / elephant / giraffe family / roadrunner

A search on Etsy and eBay turns up countless choices so it’s not to complicated to find your favorite animal in brass form! We can hoard them together. :) .

21 Responses to “Brass Menagerie”

1. Heather Jones says:

I absolutely love this! I think I might have to start my own search and collection! Think I can find brass beagles???

2. Brass gives off such a unique look. I Love your collection!

3. I totally understand your succumbing to the charms of your selections. You’ve chosen ones with appeal and personality and I love the pairings you’ve put together. A brass animal element would look great as a piece of ornamentation in a plant container grouping also.

4. Robin says:

Nope, nothing wrong with a brass zoo. Love those giraffes!

5. Lily says:

Hehe, I love this! much better than glass, if you ask me!

x Lily

6. Samantha says:

I just bought that peacock pair at Goodwill for $10 YESTERDAY! Now I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I love brass figurines… its a problem!

7. LOVE your collection!
    I too have a brass animal addiction, it started with a pair of cranes for $20 at a local flea market, then a duck and 2 horses at an antique market in toronto. Going to Brimfield later this week so hopefully i will find some there too!

8. PAULA says:

Gee, I don’t even LIKE brass and I want to collect ‘em! Really cute but, yes, my dear beware of the danger of being the crazy brass animal collector. :-)

9. Centsational Girl says:

I’d love a beagle too Heather! and an otter! And a terrier… see it’s a problem.

10. Vee says:

Loving your collection! I’ve had this brass duck in my picks for a while. Should I go for it? It’s only $20 but once you’ve got one brass animal figurine, you need them all. https://krrb.com/posts/58295-solid-brass-canadian-goose

11. Vicki says:

Wow! I’ve collected brass figurines for years. Several years ago I stuck them all in a box and stored them away…someplace. I had gotten tired of them. I may have to dig them back out…

12. Centsational Girl says:

Get the GOOSE Vee!

13. Brain twins! I just did a post about this yesterday! (And I even called the post “Brass Menagerie.”) High-five.

14. What I love about these is that they’re vintage-y, chic, quirky and on-trend all in one. Aaaand, my kiddos would love them too. They look great!

15. Centsational Girl says:

Awesome Paige, great minds!

16. Decorating Delirium says:

I am jealous of your collection! I am obsessed with peacocks and would love to have a brass one. I just found found two swans that I adore. Always on the hunt . . .

17. Brianna says:

LOVE! Brass was so on trend at this year’s ICFF! See brass & more in the InsideSeen Design Blog: http://blog.fabricseen.com/top-icff-international-furniture-trends-home-decor/!

18. Kristel says:

I NEED the gazelle one — where is that image from, anyone know?

19. These brass animals look adorable as book ends. I especially love the giraffe!

20. Christa Mae says:

Oh man, I definitely have this addiction. My husband and I went to a flea market in Springfield, MO while visiting his family and I found this brass armadillo that was absolute perfection (scalier than yours) and I begged and begged my husband to let me buy him – he was only $8, after all. BUT he’s a penny-pincher and thought the armadillo was ridiculous, so he said no & I left empty handed. Cut to 10 months later, when visiting again & I’m still heartbroken over that little armadillo so I bribed him to take me back to the same flea market on the off chance it was still there, which it WAS! My Christmas miracle (in April). Lol. Sorry for the anecdote. I just really, really relate. :)

21. Centsational Girl says:

A Christmas Miracle!!!!! Such a great story Christa Mae!