Simple Sew Kitchen Towels

November 21, 2013

One of the gifts I like to give to a host or hostess when invited to their home is a set of pretty kitchen towels coupled with a few treats. In years past I’ve wrapped them around freshly baked flavored breads or tied them up with a stylish pair of serving utensils. I don’t believe there is any such thing as too many kitchen towels – sewing them is easy and there is a way to get perfect corners on the backside with a simple technique.

diy simple sew kitchen towels

This is yet another idea for a host or hostess gift for the holiday season. Wrap a box in festive wrapping paper (find a box at a craft store or repurpose a shoe box) and fill it with kitchen tea towels and goodies.

wrap box with paper

Include anything from fresh baked bread to culinary treats to homemade jams or your famous cookies. This one leans to the savory side, mixing gourmet oil & vinegar, bread and a sprig of fresh herbs tied up in ribbon. It’s a fun gift to present to your host when he or she opens the door.

pretty hostess gift

Stitching up a kitchen tea towel is a simple sew project, it involves four straight lines and a little technique on the corners to get them just right – here’s how I do it.

Choose a fabric with some absorbency, I think linen/cotton blends work well. (I used two fat quarters of this fabric and this fabric in linen/cotton) in a 18” x 27” size.

1) Fold over the raw edges of your fabric 1/2 to 5/8 inch and sew long seams around the border. 2) Fold over corners and trim the bottom of the triangle (the top of the corner) with scissors. 3) Fold over edges once more aligning the seams so they meet at a diagonal. 4) Sew over existing hem to secure fabric and create a perfect corner.

steps for perfect corners

This technique works well if your sewing linen napkins too. :)

simple sew kitchen tea towels

They’re a simple way to personalize your kitchen or that of your host with fabric!

19 Responses to “Simple Sew Kitchen Towels”

1. Jenny says:

Great!
    Do you take orders?!!
    LOL
    Jenny M

2. Helen Davis says:

Love the idea for towels and such as a hostess gift! My only trouble is that I don’t sew so off to the store. I just love to read your blogs and can’t wait until the next blog. Your ideas are the best.

3. Grey says:

I agree–you can never have too many towels! Great instructions on making these, thanks-

4. What a lovely idea for a personalized gift!

5. I love the simplicity of these. Very inspirational for personalised gifts.

The way you have done those corners makes it look so neat and professional.Right, I’m off fabric shopping now!

6. Sarah says:

Love it! These are a great, simple gift and I can think of a dozen people or more who I could give these to!

7. Oh my gosh, I love this! What a great gift and it’s so simple. Thank you for the corner trick!

8. Connie says:

Your project is ‘sew’ simple…HAHA…get it? I am thankful for your inexpensive ideas.
    Connie

9. Wow! What a perfect hostess gift. I really love this!

10. Tessie says:

Love this technique to get perfect corners! Thank you Kate!

11. Debtgirl says:

I wish I had a sewing machine! So pretty and oh the possibilities!

12. Michelle says:

I absolutely love this idea, both as the gift and to spruce up my own kitchen! Thanks for the idea!

13. What a perfect way to do the corners! Thanks for sharing.

14. Great gift idea and I’m going to try those corners. I think you could use the same technique for some napkins too! Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Linda O. says:

BRILLIANT!
    And love your fabric designs!

16. Alissa says:

Kate,

You said you used a fat quarter of each fabric. Did this make 2 or towels? I just love your corner folding technique and you’ve inspired me to make some gifts!

XO’s from Chicago,
    Alissa

17. Amy says:

Oh my goodness, I’ve always wondered how to do corners like that! I’m so excited-thank you!

18. How thoughtful! Yes, I would enjoy very much having your over.