Lavender Drawer + Closet Sachets

February 27, 2013

I was out in the yard clipping back some overgrown hedges last weekend and some of the shrubs that required trimming were my lavender varieties. Then I remembered that I forgot to share this sweet and simple sewing project that I made last year for Souvenir Magazine.

Lavender is my favorite botanical scent, and I’m lucky to have a few dozen plants that thrive and produce dried lavender every year, but you can also find dried lavender buds online –  check Etsy! I gave a few of these to my sister in law, and I use them in my dresser drawers. The scent of lavender is therapeutic and these are easy enough to make as a gift for moms, sisters, friends, and teachers too.

lavender closet sachet

Supplies you’ll need to make them: 5-6 oz. dried lavender, 3 cups rice; simple cotton or linen cloth (4 layers cut into 6″ x 6″ squares for each); pale purple and green embroidery thread, embroidery needle, small embroidery hoop, sewing machine.

Mix the dried lavender with a few cups of rice. You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil to intensify the scent.

lavender in bowl mix in rice

Hand embroider one square of cotton with the shape of blooming lavender stems. I did it freehand but if you’re nervous to do so, use a disappearing ink pen from a fabric store to sketch it first, then stitch on top.

embroider lavender

Turn the embroidered cloth upside down and layer a plain fabric square on top for softness between the lavender/rice mixture and the surface. Repeat with two more layers of 6 x 6” cotton to create the bottom. Sew them together (inside out) with a sewing machine on 3½ sides, leaving one small section open to fill with mixture.

open pouch

Hand stitch your sachets to close them up once they’re filled.

embroidered lavender sachet

Use them in drawers for fresh scented linens or in closets as an all natural moth repellant – attaching small pieces of ribbon or twine will help to hang them on a closet rod.

embroidered lavender sachets

If you make versions in a rectangular shape, they make great eye pillows too for soothing headaches or drifting off to sleep at night.  :)

Pin It

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Lavender Drawer + Closet Sachets”

1. Wow! This came just at the right time. Now that things are getting “Spring-y” around here, I’ve been thinking about how to add some beautiful scents to the house. I love the simplicity of the embroidery on the sachets; lovely.

2. Karen says:

Hi Kate. Love it. Can you tell us when you flipped it back. Also what stitch you used on the stem. Thanks

3. Lucia says:

Where do I buy the lavender at?

4. Linda Cates says:

Thanks! This is a great tutorial. I don’t know where to buy the lavender. I live in a small town. Can you recommend an online store where it can be purchased ? Thank you.

5. Such pretty little sachets and I bet the scent is wonderful.
    xo,
    Shannon

6. Maria says:

Aww these are so pretty! I love the embroidery, simple but so sweet! I just made some scented sachets too, must be that time of year when we all want to freshen things up a little bit!

7. Joan says:

Please don’t use flax seed. It contains eggs of the tobacco beetle (I believe that’s the correct beetle.) I had once made eye pillows using flax seed much like your sachets, and about a year later the eggs hatched and I had a mess of tiny beetles all over my bed. So far, knock on wood, I’ve not had a similar problem using rice.

8. Cynthia says:

These are so pretty, I love them and I am a HUGE lavender fan. I have bunches throughtout our home. I have many plants in our yard too.

Cynthia

9. Aimee says:

Lovely! These would make a great housewarming gift. I’m so jealous you were in your garden last week! I keep pushing back the snow to see if my bulbs are peeking through yet, as if that’s going to make spring come any sooner :).

10. Luisa says:

These are so sweet. I’m hoping to plant some lavender this year as I love the scent also!

11. Katie says:

These are so awesome! Do you take orders? :)

12. Becca says:

I love this idea! I’m curious though what does the rice/flax seed do?

The rice or seed adds weight and stretches the lavender Becca!

Ew gross Joan! Good to know, I’ll update the post! Ick!

You can find it at many sellers on Etsy Lucia.

16. Regina says:

Love this! I would have never thought about adding rice to the scent! The rice also absorbs humidity in case your closets tend to get a little moist (just like when you add it to salt).
    So pretty !

17. kathy says:

These are so pretty! I’ve seen some of your other lavender-themed posts as well. Can you tell us when (when they first bloom or later?) and how you cut (do you take the whole stem off and just keep the buds?), and how you dry lavender (hanging upside down?)? I have several plants, but really don’t know how to use them. Thanks!

18. Elizabeth H says:

So elegant and easy. I know the smell is great. Love lavender.

19. Mary says:

Love! Wondering why you don’t have a pin button….or is that an iPad problem? The iPad is new to me!

20. Abbey says:

I’ve been trying to decide what to focus on to start my first real garden since my husband and two toddler boys bought our house late last summer. Lavender for sure now! These little packets are so sweet and such a perfect little thank-you gift!

21. I absolutely LOVE the hand embroidery! I’m allergic to lavendar, but I’m now trying to figure out how I can incorporate your embroidery onto something else. Love, love, love it!

22. These are so pretty. I might try to make these as gifts for Mother’s Day. Love them!

Hi Kathy, I always trim the stems at the base and hang them in bundles upside down for a few weeks, then once the buds are dry I run my hands over them and they all fall into a big bowl. But I have to take allergy medicine when I do it, sometimes all that dried lavender in the air and on my hands can make me sneeze … :)

24. Pippa says:

These are so lovely!

25. I love the little embroidery detail. I made a few with extra fabric a couple years ago and add a few drops of lavender every so often to more scent. They’re also great for under/beside your pillow to help you sleep. :)

26. Susan Giunta says:

Beautiful! These would make a fab hostess gift. Love the scent of lavender!
    Susan
    simplymodernhome.com

27. Dawn says:

Great idea and so pretty! I think I’m going to make these today to give to my niece for her birthday, thank you!

28. Carolyn says:

I’m all about embroidery all of a sudden! The gift becomes so personal when you add embroidery to it. Great post for spring!