Holiday Decorating with Lace

December 10, 2012

Hello hello, how are you?  Busy busy with the holiday season right?  It’s flying by!  I was going through some pictures from last year and realized I never shared a few pictures featured in Emily Henderson’s Holiday Guide in 2011.  Emily asked me to come up with something creative for the guide and I was loving the idea of decorating with lace.  I had no idea lace would be so big  in 2012 when I saw all the fall fashion on display in NYC earlier this year!

Lace is appearing everywhere in fashion again and in so many bold colors.  Here’s a peek at the four creative ways to use lace that I shared in the guide last year when decorating during the holidays.

Long strips of larger lace make a great stencil! I secured long pieces to plain wrapping paper with painter’s tape, then dusted it with two light coats of green spray paint to make unique wrapping paper.

lace stenciled gift wrapped package

Attach it to the base of cake stand to dress up a holiday dessert.

Centsatio

Line the back of your bookcases with a modern gift wrap (this is a Marimekko pattern found at Crate + Barrel) and then run delicate lace along the shelves for a snowy effect.

lace lined cabinet

And of course a bold colorful piece of lace makes lovely gift wrap!

teal blue lace present

Have you embraced the comeback of lace this year?

24 Responses to “Holiday Decorating with Lace”

1. Heather C. says:

Looks cool! My MIL gave me some lace bits from her mother…I think you’ve inspired me! I did your sweater pillows last year for a quick Christmas living room makeover. Happy Holidays!

2. Hi Kate,
    I came over to see what you were doing with lace. I used some lace in my Christmas decorating this year. I got a great idea from your post. I’m going to add some lace to a cake stand! Thanks so much!

3. My gosh — your styling and photography is better than any magazine! Seriously! And of course your ideas are beautiful too! #trifecta #triplethreat

4. are those backsplash tiles clear or a taupe color? they are exactly what i have been looking for to redo the fireplace….where did you find them??

thanks so much!!

xoxo, cindy

5. Vel says:

I am a huge fan of adding gift-wrap to the back of shelves – their easy, cheap and oh-so pretty – yours is perfect example. I love lace, but have yet to incorporate them in my home decor this year. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Hi Cindy, they are a pale green color, it’s a Jeffrey Court tile called “Whitewater” – here’s the link!

Aw Cassie, too kind, so sweet, thanks friend!

8. mary says:

You asking about lace reminded me of the song
    ” I was country when country wasn’t cool” except I loved lace when it wasn’t cool! Love the idea of making your own wrapping paper with lace!!!

Ha! So true Mary, march to the beat of your own drum I say and make your own “cool” ! I like country too :)

10. I have buckets of lace…..great idea to wrap with them. Also loved your post on “Behind the scenes with Ballard” What an oportunity of a life time. I would of been drooling!
    Have a great day!

11. Lizette says:

I agree with Cassie. Your pictures are beautiful! I love all of these ideas!

12. Amy Wolff says:

You are so amazing.. I don’t get where you get the energy………. and ideas!!!!

On another note..
    can you show how you store all of your decor- you change it up so much that you must have closets full!!!!!

13. What great ideas! I also LOVE that wrapping paper from Crate and Barrel.

14. Cynthia says:

Beautiful pictures, I love the one in the cabinet, it is just stunning. That cake looks yummy. You are a busy women.

Cynthia

15. No lace here, but it does look great on the gift packages! Your cabinet with the reindeer and the “joy” piece look great with it too!

16. Donna Frasca says:

Lace no but I do have the occasional doily. Beautiful pictures :-)

17. Jen says:

Very pretty!! Where are you finding lace as beautiful (and wide) as the piece wrapped around the present in the last photo?

I’d be interested in a post on how you store your decor as well..

Hey great idea for a post Jen and Amy! I do have one giant closet where I store aaaaallll the bins! It’s under the stairs and we call it the Christmas closet and we have to move our giant dining room hutch to access it! We make a big deal out of “time to open the Christmas closet!” after Thanksgiving. :)

19. jackie jade says:

Fun post! I think lace is making a comeback, especially when used in a modern way. Love the idea of using pieces with wrapping gifts!!

20. Amy Wolff says:

AND where you store you dishes and table setting stuff… you just have so much decor for everything!!!!

All the dishes fit in the kitchen or the dining room Amy, I stuff them in pretty good! I use a lot of everyday whites and rotate some linens and salad plates :)

22. April says:

I love lace! I am totally embracing it. I made a wreath yesterday with linen, fabric and lace and I LOVE it.

23. Oh wow! I just love how those gifts are wrapped. The lace really adds a lot. Thanks for the inspiration. I’m going to try and wrap a few of my gifts like this. Just the extra special ones though because it’s not going to be easy for me!

24. I love it on the edge of the shelves!