Interview with My Children

April 11, 2012

I like to talk to my kids just before they go to bed, I get the best bits of information when they’re snuggled under the covers.  I saw a great idea for a conversation starter on Pinterest and decided to ask them the same questions the other night before bed.

I love the frankness of children, they don’t hesitate to tell you their heart’s desires.  Here are a few of their answers and all I can say is I think my daughter’s perfect day is spot on.

8 year old daughter

6 year old son

When are you (or have you been) most afraid? When my dog died. I am never afraid.
What was the happiest day of your life? The day I got my kitten Coconut. When I got my Lego Millennium Falcon.
If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be? I want there to be no bad guys and no pit bulls. I wish Legoland was closer.
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I wish I was taller. I wish I was taller and bigger and stronger.
What is the one thing you could not live without? My kitten. My Legos and my family.

girl and kitten

What is your favorite movie? Anything with Bugs Bunny. Star Wars and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
What cartoon character would you most like to be? Tweety Bird Scooby Doo
What is the worst thing about being 8 (or 6) years old? I don’t like to wake up early for school. Nothing.
What is the best thing about being 8 (or 6) years old? A lot of birthday parties with my friends. Doing anything I want at kindergarten
Describe your perfect day. Donuts for breakfast, swimming with my friends at the pool all day, and a yummy dinner with cookies for dessert. Recess all day, then playing with my sister, then sleeping with my Mom.
What job would you like to have when you grow up? I think I will be an artist and a designer. I will build tall buildings.
Who are your best friends and why? Ava and Mikah and Stella because they are nice and they share and they are so much fun. Noah because he builds Legos with me and Jack because he let’s me play his Mario Brothers game. And my sister because she’s funny.

boy with legos

I also pinned this list of questions too, these ones were questions about what kids think of their Moms.  So I asked mine too.  Some of their answers really made me laugh, others gave me great comfort.

8 year old daughter

6 year old son

What does Mom always say to you? I’ll be right there. I love you.
What makes Mom happy? Kisses. Me.
What makes Mom sad? When we opened presents on Christmas morning without her. Mean people.
How does Mom make you laugh? She tickles me. She makes crazy faces.
What was Mom like as a child? She was a smart in school. She drank milk.
How old is Mom? 38 38
How tall is Mom? 5 feet I think. As tall as a shelf and Dad is as tall as a door.
What is Mom’s favorite thing to do? Read magazines with me. Family movie night.
What does Mom do when you’re not around? She cries when I’m gone. She works on her computer.
What is Mom really good at? Painting and sewing things. Being nice.
What is Mom really bad at? She’s not good at drawing, I am better. Building models, Dad is better.
What does Mom do for her job? She works on her computer. She paints things.
What is Mom’s favorite food? Yucky hummus. I think it’s soup.
If Mom was a cartoon character, who would she be? Yosemite Sam. Sandy the Squirrel (from Sponge Bob.)
How are you and Mom the same? We have the same eyes. We have the same teeth.
How are you and Mom different? We have different hair. My eyes are darker brown.
How do you know your Mom loves you? She kisses me and tells me. I just know it.
Where is Mom’s favorite place to go? Home. Home.

kate and kids

It’s an enlightening thing, interviewing your children, they will always remind you of the sweetness of youth and of the things that are most important.  I highly recommend taking a moment to interview a child, there is always something to learn about yourself that only they seem to know.

141 Responses to “Interview with My Children”

1. Ashley@LML says:

Thanks so much for sharing those! I teared up, too :) The last one got me: favorite place to go is home. How precious!

2. I love this! Wish I had done with my children! I also signed up to follow you!

3. Sonia says:

This. is. precious.

4. Linda L says:

Oh my gosh that’s so precious.

Such nice comments today everyone, I really appreciate them all, thank you! I sometimes hesitate with the sentimental posts, but so glad you all enjoyed it today!

6. Tasha says:

Not sure why but this made me sorta weepy, maybe bc it’s so precious. Thanks for sharing!

7. Allison A. says:

What a delightful interview with your kids, Kate. I love the honesty and innocence of children’s answers. So fun and sweet. I love your son’s answer asking how tall you are….Adorable! Favorite place to go = home. I love it! You are a good mom, Kate and your kids really look up to you and admire you, not to mention love you to pieces. That all shines through in the interview. Thanks for sharing that with us!

8. Kathy says:

I enjoyed this post so much. I love all the answers…big buildings, kittens and home. Perfect!

9. Priscilla says:

This really made me smile. Your children sound so very much like mine, except they are now 14 (girl) and 16 (boy). Enjoy this time because the hormones just do SOMETHING! You should keep the questions and ask them again in a few years and see what the answers are, or maybe not :) Just treasure this time. I look forward to reading what you have to say everyday. I am amazed at your talent. Thank you so much.

10. Nan says:

Just precious! Makes me ache wishing I had done that when mine were young! They are now 30 and 33. The time just slipped through my fingers. Keep treasuring these moments – they are fleeting.

11. Nelly says:

Thank you for sharing this post. I will be doing this with my little one (now 2,5) when he is a bit older. Great way to share and connect with the kiddos.

12. Elizabeth H says:

Really loved this post. Amazing children and amazing Mom and Dad too.

13. Kristin says:

I’m glad to see others commented on the pit bull issue as well. It is a child’s honesty coming out, but Kate, I hope you educate her on the truth about pit bulls and not just what the media says. In some of your replies it seems like you were just brushing it off.

14. Tara says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It made me cry like a baby. Their is nothing as sweet as the innocence of children. I love the photo of your daughter holding her kitten like a baby. You have a very beautiful family!

15. Uta says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing. I’ll do it with my 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son tonight. ; )

16. style me pretty says:

awwww your kids are so adorable! I love your little boy answer, “I wished Legoland was closer” ahahaha!

17. Mom’s favorite food isn’t hummus… it’s YUCKY hummus.

Precious– what great memories. :-)

18. heyruthie says:

LOVED the interview. now i need to do it with all 4 of my kids–at least the ones over age two! your daughter’s “pitbull” comment made me LOL! show her this blog post of mine about my two-year old daughter’s best friend: our pitbull. they are inseparable, and he is such a loving, sweet doggy :-) wouldn’t hurt a fly.

19. Maria Killam says:

Totally great, I love the things kids say! Your kids sound so wonderful!
    x
    Maria

20. Lo says:

That is so sweet. One thing is for sure, your children are loved and they know it!!! If I could change one answer, it would be your daughter saying she is afraid of/doesn’t like pit bulls. I wonder why? Hopefully someday she meets a sweet one that will change her perception.

21. Gina says:

this is too funny because they are so honest and pure, but at the same time so precious…i am going to try and ask my daughter :) Thanks for sharing….

22. Jen says:

Awww, this melted my heart. Such sweet responses. I had to giggle at the simple differences between a little girl and boy. I have three boys, so I know all answers would most likely be lego or sports related. :)

xoxo,
    Jen

23. Mother Goose says:

Dear Kate, Thank you SO much for posting this. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while and just hadn’t taken the time to make it happen but your post inspired me to not wait another day! My favorite answer from my 6 y.o. to the question “If Mom was a cartoon character who would she be?” A: “Mommy the Superhero”. Love it!

24. Jillian says:

Glad to see there were a few other ladies who wanted to put out some pro-pit bull comments too! It’s not easy being an owner to dogs associated with such an awful stigma, but would encourage you and your daughter to look into the breed a bit more, because they can be wonderful dogs! It was weighing a little heavy on my heart yesterday. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea though, will have to file this away as my youngsters are too young!

25. Kathy says:

Sweet idea. My kids are in their 20s and 30s now, I wonder how they would answer! I should try this with my grandkids. Thanks!

26. Mgal says:

I am one of ten kids so when I was in high school I started doing family photo albums that included a survey about that year. It’s fun to look back at what we said was our favorite movie or who our best friend was that year. Cheers, MGal

27. Thanks for sharing! Very endearing. :)

28. I love this post, so adorable. I caught myself chuckling at a few parts, your kids are adorable.

29. Awwww, this was SO sweet, really made my day reading their innocent and beautiful responses. I’m keeping this as a conversation starter with more than just kids.

30. DeeKay says:

I was moved to tears while smiling and laughing. On the tough days, you can read this post and know that you can get through anything with these two dolls by your side.

31. Suezi Gurzi says:

this is the best post ever! 6 yr. old boys are the best! thanks for sharing.

32. Julie Jolly says:

I’m just loving your little boy and his honest answers. My baby is 10 and my oldest is 23 (boo hoo) but both are big Lego fans. Enjoy these days momma!

33. ButterYum says:

Adorable! I especially like the answer to how tall you are – lol!!

34. Jane says:

Sweet. I think I will do this with my kids. The other day I asked my 7 year old what he was thankful for and he said “All Pitbulls”. I read your post about your daughter and pitbulls and was reminded of this. We do fostering for dogs on death row and 99% of the dogs we foster are pitbulls. My son has fallen in love over 50+ times and had to say goodbye…all sweet pitbulls. :)

35. Angela says:

What a fun thing to do! I don’t have kids (yet), but will totally want to do this someday. Maybe I’ll try it out with my nephew soon. Some of the responses they came up with are hilarious . I like that your daughter thinks you were smart in school and your son thinks you drank milk. I once asked my mom if she ate spaghetti as a kid (I must have thought she was from the pioneer days haha). Also, I’m glad to see how many followers you have who are pro-pittie :) I’m sure your daughter will get a little older and realize you can’t believe everything just because you saw it on the news. It’s lovely to see how much loves her kitty!

36. Karla says:

I love this post, thank you SO much for sharing it! I smiled all the way through and I can’t wait to ask my daughter these questions :)

37. Kelly says:

I loved this so much, I must have missed it earlier, and am so glad you reposted. Such great kids who have a great mom!

38. Alison says:

OMG…just read this. My eyes are filled with tears and a smile has made its way across my face. Thanks for sharing your precious children with us. I wish I had done this when my 20 something children were younger. May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family!

39. Margaret says:

Another sad pit bull owner here :( Love your blog. Your kids are precious! I am just 22 and have lost both my parents to illness in the past year. I was living with them and my entire life was uprooted as I took care of both my dieing parents, lost them and then had to suddenly navigate this world all on my own. My sweet pit bull saw me through the grief, and loved me through the dark and through to the other side. He kept me going everyday with his CONSTANT and unconditional (truly) love. If he saw me crying, he would lick away my tears and bring me his favorite teddy bears and toys. I don’t think I would have made it through without him. So, if you can’t tell, my bond with him is very special.. I hope your daughter meets a sweet pit bull someday. They have too much to offer to be thrown away by the world. My dog is soo special and it truly breaks my heart. XOXO

40. CM says:

Oh Margaret Im so sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through. My dad died 8 months ago and my grandma who was like my mother died 5 months prior to my dad. I never had a real mom, so I feel like Ive lost both parents too. But Im in my 30′s. My heart goes out to you and its not fair that you had to lose your parents so young in life. Hold on to what your parents taught you, they live on inside you. God bless and thank the lord for your lovely dog, he was meant to be in your life to help you through this hard time.

41. Christine says:

Kate this is wonderful. I am just reading this post now and will have to share it with my sisters and friends. What a great idea… interviewing our kids!!! My oldest two will get an interview this summer for sure. Thank you for sharing..