A Typical Day in My Life

February 28, 2012

Well hello everyone – it’s been asked a few times and then came up again as a suggestion in the anniversary post that I share a typical day in the life with you.  Personally, I see my life as very hum drum, kind of boring if you ask me, but it’s the best kind of boring.  Here’s a peek at my typical weekday as it often goes from sun up until sundown.

7 a.m.   Time to wake up since we need to get both kids to school by 8 a.m. – I can always tell by the light in our bedroom what time it is, my mister has an alarm clock but I don’t.  Each day always begin with strong coffee, one of my absolute morning essentials, Peet’s French Roast with fat free half and half – gotta have it.

kates coffee

The kids get breakfast first, sometimes it’s my mister’s “famous eggs” – he really does make the best scrambled eggs in the world – we love them with sourdough toast. But today it’s a simple bowl of cereal before it’s time to get dressed, brush teeth, and make lunches.  These are my munchkins – my reason for living – my babies who are growing up just too fast for me, they are six and eight now, when did that happen?

kids at breakfast

8:00 a.m.   Dad drops the kids off at school and I head to “the office”.  Here is where I work every morning.  I replaced the old table with some new file cabinets and a top by IKEA but three things are clear 1. the top doesn’t reach all the way across – oops.  2. I need a new fabric or woven shade and 3. I rotate chairs through here like I change my yoga pants because I just haven’t found the perfect one yet.  Someday soon I’ll pull it all together, bring in more color, and find the perfect desk top and chair but for now, I’m fine with the imperfection and whiteness of it all.

kates home office

I have an office mate who’s more concerned with her own grooming than anything else (oh you have one of those too?) but she does keep me company each morning.

kitty cat

8 a.m.   I start by checking the comments on the latest blog post and responding to pending questions, then it’s my time to read other blogs – I spend about 30 minutes catching up on my favorites and use Google Reader to do it.  Next it’s a little social media, Twitter and Pinterest mostly, then it’s emails – ack, I’m terrible at responding to every single email because there are many but I try I try I try…  time flies by and now it’s 11:00 a.m and I’m ready for a break.

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.   I like to leave my house everyday around 11 a.m. – sitting at my desk after three hours makes me a little grumpy so every other day I do 20 minutes on the treadmill in the garage, then I shower and head out to run errands or pick up supplies. For lunch, I often stop in to my local hometown market where they have really good hot food to grab some protein and a small salad, today it’s Chicken Diablo and greens with avocado – I bring it home and sometimes I even put it on a plate.

kates lunch

I eat in front of my kitchen window standing up, weird right?  It’s a habit – I think a lot of us moms get in this habit of eating lunch standing up, like sitting down in the middle of the day is some kind of luxury we’re not allowed – anyway, I stare out the window and listen to my iTunes or talk radio for about 10 minutes while I eat.

1:30 p.m.   Back to work at the computer, gathering and editing images ready for the next day’s post before it’s time to pick up the munchkins from school.

2:30 p.m.   Pick up time – I drive to pick up my children at their public school and on nice days they play outside at the playground with their friends until 3 p.m.

3 p.m.  Back at home, we make a snack and then they start homework.  When it’s done they go play and I head out to the garage to work on a project, today it’s a pedestal table I’m priming for a friend before it gets painted.

priming pedestal table

We have softball and piano lessons during the week so I get them ready for those extracurricular activities but when they’re not involved with that they do what kids do best, they play.  And they make a lot of messes.

kates little boy

There’s that quote that goes “a perfectly kept house is a sign of a misspent life” – true, but I prefer to say it a little differently – an imperfectly kept home is evidence of a life well lived with your loved ones.  Think about it – sure those messes wouldn’t exist if they weren’t there, but then the point is they wouldn’t be there at all.  So I *try* to embrace the messes – you don’t see it very often in pictures around here, but it is our constant state of existence and I’ll take the mess plus the little people over a clean but empty house any day of the week.

imperfectly kept home

4 p.m.  Time to do some morning dishes, then I pop open my laptop on the kitchen island to catch up via social media or respond to emails.  It’s also time to change the clock battery which has been dead for a few days . . .

laptop on kitchen island

5:00 p.m.    Time to make dinner, some nights I cook a full dinner, other nights it’s just a roasted chicken from the grocery store with vegies or some simple pasta.  We eat around 6:30 p.m when Dad gets home from his full time job and we talk about our day.

7 p.m.   Time for the kids’ bath and to straighten the upstairs. I’m good at washing the clothes. I’m good at putting them in the dryer, but I’m terrible just terrible at folding them right away so by Thursday this scene is not uncommon.

kates laundry pile

Go on, Pin it!

I make a dent in it, just enough so we have clean clothes for a few days, then put the rest back in the laundry basket. It’s my eternal struggle – the never ending laundry pile. There might be a small child in there, I’m not sure.

8 p.m.  Kids are tucked into bed with their teeth brushed, and I’m in my office for an hour finishing up a post.  I get lonely in there so I like to move to the couch around 9 p.m. with my laptop to be with my hub – sometimes we’ll make some popcorn and we often catch up on the news or recorded shows together.

laptop and popcorn

I hear you mocking my fuzzy slippers and pastel plaid pajamas.

If I don’t finish up a post by 11 p.m. I just close up shop and finish the next day instead. I’ve learned that the hard way how sleep is essential to my survival the next day.

11 p.m.  A quick and very very hot bath (every night!) then off to bed with a book or magazine.

I do not have a nanny or a regular babysitter or a virtual assistant, but I do have some help with housecleaning a few times a month, and I have an incredible band of supportive moms.  We all help with each other’s kids and their support is what really keeps me sane – I’m grateful for them every day.

So that’s it – my typical day – suburban, repetitive, full of messes but a lot of love, and I wouldn’t change a single thing.

140 Responses to “A Typical Day in My Life”

1. Thank you for making us all feel better. You have an amazing blog, so many followers and great content…how do you do it?! Well, you just explained that you do it the same way we do it…with a schedule, a messy house (sometimes), laundry piles and furry slippers sitting next to your husband. Love it all!!! As I sit next to my husband, typing away, kids in bed haha. Oh the life of a blogger, mom and wife. Congrats on your wonderful life…keep up the amazing work!

2. Gleeful says:

That sounds absolutely lovely. It’s a dream of mine to work from home one day, though I probably wouldn’t have the discipline to get everything done – I’m an eternal procrastinator and am way too easily distracted by books and TV. The picture of the laundry on the bed made me smile – I hate folding laundry and I tend to pile things up too – though usually the clothes don’t even make it out of the basket half the time.

3. Nicole Hoekstra says:

I have never commented before…on any blog :) but feel compelled to thank you for your sharing your honesty, your awesome ideas and your spunky self. Checking your blog is part of the sunshine in my daily routine and I thank you!!

Full-time working mom of three from frigid Minnesota :)

4. Jackie B says:

Ohhhh, you just made me love you all the more. Laundry is MY nemesis too! I can count on one hand (probably minus a few fingers too) how many times in a whole year every single piece of laundry is done! My problem is that I “iron” everything; even the sheets and pillowcases. Go ahead, roll your eyes. I am learning little by little and am starting “not” to iron everything. Baby steps. We are starting with hoodies and sweatshirts. They look better that way anyway. I do have a cleaning lady, but, as you know with kids, the house only stays clean for a minute or so. I compare it to Moses parting the Red Seawater, but it sucks right back up behind you!

5. Jackie B says:

Ohhhh, you just made me love you all the more. Laundry is MY nemesis too! I can count on one hand (probably minus a few fingers too) how many times in a whole year every single piece of laundry is done! My problem is that I “iron” everything; even the sheets and pillowcases. Go ahead, roll your eyes. I am learning little by little and am starting “not” to iron everything. Baby steps. We are starting with hoodies and sweatshirts. They look better that way anyway. I do have a cleaning lady, but, as you know with kids, the house only stays clean for a minute or so. I compare it to Moses parting the Red Sea, but it sucks right back up behind you! Well that was mouthful; I feel better already. Of course, you were already amazing without the pinworthy picture of your bed!

6. Linda F. says:

Your style is delightful! I’m so enamored with your kitchen. I’d love to know more about the counter surface. Is it marble? Can’t tell. What color? Would love to use that in mine. And thanks for the honesty about laundry. I’m with you.

Blessings,
    Linda

7. Amanda Digman says:

You mentioned you read other blogs/ websites. Would you posting a list of those that you read and follow regularly? I’m always looking for new blogs to read!! Thanks for your posts I look forward to them.

8. Virginia Mom says:

How I wish mine were still little. As my youngest, my beautiful daughter, prepares to fly away to college, I’m filled with dread. Thank God I have these blogs to inspire me to keep making my house a better, more fulfilling home. As to laundry, why do we do it to ourselves? Carrying it down two flights of stairs to wash and dry it, back up two flights to fold it (or pile it on the bed, then the floor, back to the bed, until it evaporates and condenses in the hamper again.) Can’t we just have everyone change in the laundry room and store everything down there? With little booths with curtains and benches and hooks, a couple of dressers and an armoire? And how about a National Holiday once a month called “Wear It Again Day” so we can catch up. Maybe I’m on to something here.

9. Rachel says:

So nice to see that your children PLAY. Parents who keep control over screen time are very wise.

10. Peggy says:

Ha! I am so with you on the laundry folding thing – so overrated. Why spend the time hanging up clothes when you can just pile them neatly, making them readily accessible? Right now I have a pile of clothes in the bedroom, a pile of sheets, towels, and rags on my son’s bed (I’ve gotta do something with his room while he’s away at college!), and a pile in the dryer that I’ve been looking at for the last day but don’t have the energy to “dump” somewhere. Maybe I’ll get motivated today . . . maybe.

11. Love this post Kate! You and I have a lot in common. Couple main differences- I’m a morning person and I’m usually up by 6, but I’m also in bed by 10. I used to be a night owl and I think I become more of one in the spring and summer. Once the cold, dark evenings of winter hit, I need a lot more sleep.

12. Laura Bradley says:

I love to read what other like minded people’s days are like. Like a fly on the wall. Your day is a lot like mine…but without the kids. Oh, how I miss my little kids! Like someone else commented, my baby is going off to college soon and my oldest got married this last summer. (One in the middle who is off to college). But it seems like just yesterday I had the hussle and bussle happiness of children playing and making messes. It was my favorite time in my life. It was when I felt most fulfilled. My house looked like it knew where my priorities lay and I am proud of that now that I look back. I dont have to regret not spending time with them or cleaning too much or caring more about other things-as they were my focus. But I do miss that. Try to always keep that focus as it seems you do! Then when your home is quiet and nothing is touched and oddly no one visits for days and you hear the echos of laughter and voices of the past bouncing of the freshly painted walls…you will also not have regret. Pretty is one thing, but like you said, lived in is better! :) I am eager for grandkids soon (cant believe I am actually saying that!) to make my house more nice and lived in again….the circle of life! Thanks again, I really enjoyed seeing what you do in a day!

13. Kay says:

Love it! Sweet and perfect. I really admire your ability to stick to a schedule when working from home; it’s a talent I worry that I’ve lost from being back in an office for the last year!

And I so have that coffee mug from Anthropologie! It was part of a set with my and my husband’s initials on them that I got as a shower gift. =)

14. katherine says:

my favorite post yet!

Hi Linda, the surround cabinets have crema marble with brown veining and the center island is walnut! a little more high maintenance but I still love them years later!

“when your home is quiet and nothing is touched and oddly no one visits for days and you hear the echos of laughter and voices of the past bouncing of the freshly painted walls…” love that sentiment Laura – don’t want that day to come but I know it will!

Hey Amanda – for a list of some of my favorite blogs check the sidebar and click where it reads “Blogs I Heart” !

18. Kim Porter says:

Your honesty is refreshing. Thank you!

“when your home is quiet and nothing is touched and oddly no one visits for days and you hear the echos of laughter and voices of the past bouncing of the freshly painted walls…” This comment brought a tear to my eye. I know it will happen one day…

19. jules says:

Recently made a commitment to do laundry every single day. Takes 5 minutes to fold a day’s worth of laundry for famiy of 5. Changed my life.

20. Andrea Hall says:

I just love your blog, i have been reading it for over a year, and i begin to miss it if i haven’t visited for a few days or more. Thanks for sharing what inspires you.

21. Karen says:

I also eat my lunch standing while looking out my kitchen window. I think it is a few minutes of a mindless escape. Besides if we sat down we may not get back up. Love this post…great to know that so many of us live the same way. Downy Wrinkle Releaser saved this family. Not always crisply pressed but certainly presentable. I hate taking out the ironing board. On with my day…..

22. cathy says:

I am also a fan of yours…Stumbled on your blog way back when, and I daily click on it to see what you are up to! This was by far the most real- day-today-blog yet.. I loved it! I too am an empty-nester..UGH! Hate it! I have 2 wonderful girls, one out of college (and now in the Air Force!) and a sophmore in college.. Boy do I miss picking up after them – sports practices etc… I DO notice I only do laundry for us once a week (and the pile on the bed is now nonexistent) Enjoy the wee-ones…yes it does go by fast- and keep up your blog! I have actually suggested your blog to many of my older daughter’s girlfriends who are quite challenged in the whole “what do i do with this white-walled apartment! ) They too love it! Keep doing what you are doing- thanks again!

23. Karen says:

Kate,
    I remember those days…alas, the time flies and I have adult children and a full time job. Like a college kid reminiscing about the good old days of college, I do the same about my stay-at-home days as a mom and volunteer! Fun!
    Thanks for sharing.

24. Caron says:

Laughing! I remember those days when my kids were little – everything was always a mess, but somehow we all survived and actually thrived in it! Now, they are gone, and there are still many days when the laundry is all over the couch, or on our bed, because I have been too busy writing, or fulfilling orders to fold anything and put it away.

Thank goodness that I have the best boyfriend in the whole world and he’s pretty cool with it all.

Caron

25. A couple of years ago, I remember wondering how long my son was going to leave his balled up pair of socks sitting in his doorway. I stared at them every morning for at least a week while I sat at the top of the stairs putting on my sneakers for my daily walk.
    Then one day…my eyes welled with tears when I realized that all too soon there would not be any socks laying around – or anything else for that matter. Every thing would be in its place, just like I put it and as nice and pretty as that sounds I was sad.
    Suddenly I started to love those socks, and what they represented…a happy, normal, teenage boy who never even noticed them! Eventually the socks did get picked up…he had to wear them one day since they were his last clean pair! Now as my babies are 18 and 15 – I try my best to not sweat the little stuff…like socks, shoes, sweatshirts, school books, etc. laying around the house.
    I am enjoying these last few years with my kids at home…and appreciating the BEST job I’ve ever had!

EXACTLY Laura – the socks represent the presence of the person!!! You are so so right, thank you for sharing this sweet sentiment!

27. Love this post! Definitely a fun sneak peek into your world. And HELLO… why doesn’t laundry put away itself? David and I spent most of 2011 with a guest bed covered with (clean) laundry… we have challenged ourselves to PUT AWAY THE CLOTHES in 2012! : ) It also kind of helps that we have to keep things spotless now that our house in the market… but hey, I’ll chalk it up to us following our goals!

28. Carolyn says:

I’m new to your blog; I feel like I’ve found a treasure. Love seeing some reality mixed in with the pretty. I see so many beautiful rooms on blogs that look like nobody lives there. I’m an empty-nester and have a grandson and a granddaughter on the way. Nothing better than playing with the grandson and not worrying about messes (though we do try to clean up together – easier when they’re little and happy to help!). Question about your gorgeous countertop. You note above that it’s crema marble. Would that be crema marfil marble? Love it. Do you have to re-seal it often? I’d love to upgrade ours, but worry about durability, stains, etc.

Yes Carolyn, oops, should have said that! My kitchen countertops (the surround) are crema marfil marble with brown veining. We’ve had it five years now and have only sealed it once and we spill everything on it, tomato sauce, wine, etc. It’s held up beautifully – but you have to be careful with citrus it can oxidize the counter, which can be removed, just be careful and use cutting boards. Also marble is softer than granite – I have a few chips around my kitchen sink but I’ll look on the bright side and call it “patina” :)

30. Joyce says:

This is a terrific blog, sounds like you have a full and fulfilling life. I’m a morning person, love to see the day in so to speak.

31. Tori says:

I noticed in your coffee photo you have old grounds in a jar? What do you do with them?

32. Well hallelujah im not the only person that Dispises folding clothes!!! I dont mind washing, and i love warm clothes from the dryer….but it stops there. I will happily fold towels, but i cant stand putting up the clothes :-(. Pathetic i know….but i eventually do it.

33. stephanie says:

I love this. Laundry is the worst thing ever. Some weeks I am so proud of myself b/c I do it all on Sunday. Amazingly though, baskets are full by Wednesday and I give up. After a few months I’m determined to get it all done on Sunday and the cycle continues. haha great post and I love your blog.

34. Becca says:

My laundry looks this way, too. It’s currently on the couch, half-sorted, half-piled. It may or may not have been this way for a few days now. ;)

35. So good to read others live the same way we do. I’m an Interior Designer, new to blogging and three very active kids. Plus my dear hubby plays on an adult soccer team. Thanks for posting and keeping it REAL!

36. Belinda says:

Hi there, I have just discovered your blog tonight. I simply love it! I’ll be up all night trying to read it all!

37. katie says:

I love your blog, your life and your style. I feel inspired.

Thanks,

Katie

Thank you Katie!

39. Christine says:

What a great blog! I loathe doing laundry and our bed and guest bed is always piled with clothes needing to be folded. Thought it was just me so I am so relieved to find out you and others are just like me! I don’t like to iron either so I use Downey Wrinkle Releaser and my hair dryer- and waala crease free! We have an extra bedroom across from our master room that is unused and need more closet space so we plan on changing it into a wardrobe room with an island so I can fold clothes and iron iron easily. Will put a daybed with trundle in as well for it to be multipurpose room. Can’t wait, since we have clothes in various closets and dressers in the house. Can’t remember what I have anymore. Love your ideas!

40. Christine says:

I save old coffee grounds for our compost bin!