Crowd Pleasin’ Stroganoff Meatballs

December 21, 2011

Every year I make these stroganoff meatballs for our Christmas party, and I have to make two full trays for my large chaffing dish cause they disappear so darn fast.  My baby brother tells me his eyes roll back in his head with delight every time he savors the sauce (he can be a teensy bit dramatic…) and he begged me to post this recipe this week so he could recreate it at home. You got it bro. Here we go.

stroganoff meatballs recipe centsational girl

Crowd Pleasin’ Stroganoff Meatballs

For meatballs, you’ll need: 1 ½ lbs ground chuck; 1 tsp garlic salt; 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce; 1 cup bread crumbs; 1 egg; 3 tbsp ketchup. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, form 1” round meatballs, and broil in oven on low broil for 12-15 minutes or until brown and cooked all the way through. You could also cook meatballs in a skillet in olive oil as well.  Drain and set aside.

And now for the amazing stroganoff sauce:

1 medium yellow onion, diced

16 oz. white mushrooms. diced

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2/3 cup dry sherry

5 cups chicken broth (or beef broth, but chicken tastes lighter)

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

½ cup of butter

5 tbsp flour

3 tbsp fresh dill

10 oz. sour cream

Dice the onion and soften in olive oil in a large pot for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat.  Add diced mushrooms and soften another 3 minutes in olive oil on medium heat, stirring frequently.

onions and mushrooms

Now to introduce my four key ingredients for amazing stroganoff sauce ~ you need these.

perfect four ingredients for stroganoff

To your onion/mushroom mixture, add dry sherry and bring to a low boil.  Your kitchen will start to smell really good at this point … Allow most of sherry to reduce and be absorbed by mushrooms, about 5 minutes, and stir frequently until most of liquid is gone. Add broth and worcestershire sauce and again bring to a low boil.

Meanwhile, combine softened butter and flour into a beurre manié (fancy French term for flour/butter mixture) and mix well until it forms a paste.

beurre manie

The beurre manié is your thickener, so add it 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking quickly as you do and you’ll see your sauce start to thicken.  Add fresh dill, stir, then add sour cream, and whisk again until sauce is smooth.

fresh dill

If you can’t find fresh dill, go ahead and substitute 2 teaspoons of dry dill, it will still taste great!  Add meatballs to pot and simmer on low for 20 – 30 minutes.  Makes about 40 meatballs.

Garnish with more fresh dill, and serve with toothpicks at a party, or over pasta, or you can drink the sauce with a straw…not that we’d ever do that sort of thing, right?  Winking smile

stroganoff meatballs in bowl cg

Enjoy !

Handy printable recipe here.

36 Responses to “Crowd Pleasin’ Stroganoff Meatballs”

1. erica p. says:

I’m drooling over my keyboard – that looks so yummy! Time for lunch!

2. Teresa says:

Yum these sound delicious! I’m a sucker for anything stroganoff, I’ll have to try this one!

3. I have a little bro that I will be forwarding this too:) ahmmmmm, yum. And. Yum! Can’t wait to try!!

4. Mary says:

That looks so yummy!!

5. britt says:

Hey CG! Your meatballs sound delish! I have a question unrelated to your meatballs tho – are you using photoshop to add the blurred banner (on the first image, for example)? i’ve been trying to find a way to get text to pop on images… without using photoshop since i’m cheap…

6. CG's baby bro says:

Thanks, Sis! I’ll be making these pronto. I look forward to seeing my brain again.

7. Cass says:

I am game for drinking the sauce with a straw because it looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your family/crowd pleasing favorite dish. I can’t wait to try it out.

Hey Britt, no Photoshop, instead Picnik! Import your photo into Picnik, add a white rectangle sticker over the top, stretch it out where you want it, then fade the transparency so it’s just barely visible, and add text on top, easy!

9. Michelle says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve always wanted to try this. Can’t wait to make it!

10. I like how the stoganoff is separate from the pasta.. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it served like that.

dee

11. Rita says:

I’ve printed these out to try soon. I love the “Handy printable recipe here” feature. It makes a nice full page sized copy with picture. I’ve been trying to find something like this. How do I get one?
    It’s much nicer than the print friendly gadget.

12. Mystica says:

Have copied this one to take to Melbourne!

13. Sherry Williams says:

Yum! These look delish. Sounds like a great Christmas Eve dinner!

14. Allison A. says:

My mouth is watering now! These sound delicious, Kate. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

15. Jessica says:

This looks absolutely DELICIOUS. I know what I’m making for dinner next!

Hey Rita, I use the latest version of Microsoft Word, format it there, then save it as a .pdf and upload it to WordPress… took me years to figure that out!

17. Looks and sounds SO GOOD. I looove stroganoff, I’m definitely going to make this sometime!

18. Tiffany says:

Mmm. I love me some meatballs. Will definitely have to try this one once I have a kitchen.

19. I am bookmarking this because I”ve never made this kind of sauce. I love meatballs, all kinds. And I love ideas away from the normal spag and meatballs.

20. Heather says:

This looks delicious! I wish I had some right now!

21. This looks fantastic! Some people think I’m crazy when I tell them I add dill to my stroganoff but to me, it absolutely makes the sauce! I never thought of using meatballs but I’ll be trying this for sure :)

Aimee
    Wonderfully Domestic

22. Rita says:

Kate, you constantly amaze me with the time you take taking photos between each step with not only this recipe, but all your holidays decorations. Love it all. Merry Christmas, Rita

23. Cathy says:

Do you only serve this as a meal or is it good as an appetizer? If so, can you make the whole thing the day before and warm it for serving. I’m thinking of this for my Christmas open house. Sounds so good.

24. Deb says:

Oh golly – those look so yummy. Printed the recipe and will make after the new year!! Thanks for sharing!

Hey Cathy, you sure can prepare them ahead, I always prepare mine about 4 hours before the party and keep them in trays warming in the oven soaking up all the sauce. It’s great as a meal or appetizer. Enjoy!

26. Lisa says:

Kate I just made these for dinner, and I am so glad I doubled the meatball part of the recipe and froze half of them because this is going to be a go-to recipe from here on out — thank you!! My husband and kids loved it, and we are taking the extra meatballs and recipe for the sauce to Palm Springs next week to share with my inlaws as well. Merry Christmas!

27. Darian says:

I got hungry just looking at your photo! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

28. Janet says:

I made this the other night. So delicious! My 9-year old daughter has a new favorite. Thank you for sharing this!

29. Katie says:

I just made these for an appetizer party we’re going to tonight – am keeping them warm in a slow cooker set to “keep warm”! So far so good – and the sauce is delicious!

30. Anne McManus says:

Just in time for Christmas Eve…Doubled the recipe and had them for dinner before going to Christmas Eve Mass. Needed something easy and delicious to feed a small crowd. Big hit…may very well become a tradition! Thanks!
    p.s. Have shared your blog with my best friends!

31. Dianna says:

Made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious! You really do need to share more recipes because everything I’ve tried of yours has come out amazing(-:

32. o-girl says:

The stroganoff meatballs look amazing – the whole plate looks amazing. Would you tell us about the pasta & carrots on the side? The pasta looks yummy!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Happy Holidays :)

33. Jessica says:

I had to come back and find this post, because I tried this recipe last week and it was absolutely delicious!

34. [...] not going to lie.  These meatballs (from a Centsational Girl recipe) were amazing, made from beef chuck I ground myself, our own beef stock, and fresh dill.  They are [...]

35. Suzanne says:

Thanks for the tasty recipe and the wonderful printable of it!

36. Jennifer says:

I can’t wait to try these! Approximately how many people will this recipe serve? I’m planning on making them for around 15. Thanks!