The GSC, Are You a Member?

April 5, 2011

The other day a series of tweets went around on a very serious subject, one that is near and dear to my heart.  There is a dangerous illness sweeping the nation, and it is a grave problem.  I’m warning you, if you ever get bit by this bug, it is unlikely that you will recover.

Here’s a real world example.  It seems my friend Lakeitha was shopping the Goodwill, and she was struck by a sudden case of what shall now be dubbed ‘Goodwill Stashing’.  Allow me to illustrate.  The conversation began like this.

To which I replied,

Quickly more chimed in.

To which Lakeitha replied,

Then I joked,

But this really is no laughing matter.

I’m sure there are many husbands or partners all across this land, scratching their heads, wondering what is going on with these thrifting addicts?  Yes, it is an addiction brought on by the lure of the hunt and the thrill of the score.  It is a severe illness, and it is spreading rapidly.  It is affecting homes, families, storage closets, and mostly garages.  It’s ‘Goodwill Stashing’, and it’s time we bring this issue out of the closet, for lack of a better pun.

In the past, I had a far more serious case than I do today.  There was a time when my husband couldn’t even park in our garage, I had so many thrifted finds stashed in there.  He would say to me week after week, ‘Darling, dearest love, could you please explain to me over this perfect martini I’ve mixed for you what your amazing plans are for all of these dusty treasures?”   Actually, it was more like, “For God’s sake woman, what the bloody hell is all of this doing in my parking spot!”   Perhaps it takes a cold but direct comment to address the true problem.

I had to admit, I did have issues.  To cajole my beloved, I bought some time by fixing up a few of those pieces, and then donated the rest.  Through time, intense therapy, and promises to never do it again, I have *kind of* curbed my problem.  As of today, there are only two thrift store finds in my garage awaiting a makeover.  Now I mostly thrift vicariously, tweeting all the amazing finds I see but (mostly) resisting with all my might the desire to bring them home.

There is this gorgeous mirror which I scored for $15 bucks, and I completely love, but I am on the fence whether to paint it.  I want to hang in in my foyer above the tall highboy dresser, but if I don’t paint it, then it’s just wood, wood, and more wood in that particular spot.  I like the idea of a little contrast and a ‘distressed French gray and white’ treatment, kind of like this:

Then there is this uber tufted velvet chair, which I see in a modern geometric (like this Annie Selke fabric that I just ordered) and silver leaf on the legs.  Less tufting, better fabric, and it will be gorgeous, right?  Perfect for my master bathroom vanity.

Do you see a little something at a thrift store and think, ‘Oooh, the potential, great deal!”  Then do you drag it home and let it sit in your storage space, staring at it, wondering what it could become?  Well my friend, you need to join The Club.

The Goodwill Stash Club.

My situation could be worse, but I have taken action lately.  I’m determined that if I actually convert the stashed item as quickly as possible, I am on my way to a cure.

I found this little magazine stand at a local thrift store for $20 bucks, and had to have it.  How could I pass it up?  It was the perfect size for my reading chair in the family room.  A little spray paint (Rust-Oleum’s ‘Night Tide’ in Gloss) and voila!  A perfect glossy peacock blue stand to stash ’His’ newspapers and ‘Her’ magazines.

Then there is this sweet little rustic folding table I found for $4 dollars and freshened by dry brushing on some sea green paint.  It’s perfect for a mini tabletop for those impromptu picnics at the nearby coast , or as an outdoor perch for seasonal blooms.  It sits indoors today, but I will eventually make its way outside.

What about you, are you afflicted?  Should you be in The Goodwill Stash Club?  Raise your hands in the air if you think you should be a member!   Fantastic.  I knew there were a lot of you.

What thrift store finds are hiding in your dark corners, awaiting a little magic?  Go on, tell your story.  We’re all listening.

176 Responses to “The GSC, Are You a Member?”

1. Dee says:

My 12 step program is the 12 steps to the cash register of any thrift store. Oh, count me in!

2. I love posts like this because I know that I am not alone. My hubby has said very similar things about our garage. So, I really try to limit it to 2 projects at a time. Unless something absolutely perfect that I can’t do without comes along!!

3. Dee says:

My 12 step program is the 12 steps to any thrift store cash register.

4. Busy at Home says:

I totally would be, except one little fact keeps me from joining: our dear little car! If I did buy anything big at the Goodwill, I’d have to leave it and find a way to get it home. Inevitably, my hubby would find out before it came in the door, either because he’d be watching the kids or wondering why I was borrowing our neighbor’s van. So that is that.

5. britta says:

Ever find yourself in Healdsburg, California? There is a HUGE outdoor and indoor {like 5 buildings!} Salvation Army with a GIANT “yard-sale” area for furniture. The only thing that stops me from bringing it home is not having a big enough car. Seriously the best finds ever.

6. Lisa says:

Oh…the shame of it all!! I too am afflicted. Not to mention my poor poor hubby. He now just shakes his head and call me on the way home from the office to see if he can “help me out” by stopping by Home Depot to pick up that paint for one of my MANY projects…what a sweet man..lol.

Bring on the T-Shirt, I’ll wear it while thrifting for more treasures…lol See there’s no hope for me!

7. mamaJo says:

I’m not a GW stasher. (I just never seem to find the items that I see you and other bloggers find.) But I am definitely an ENABLER! I love to see what you all do with these discarded items…turning them into treasures I would pay hundreds of $s for, if I could. Way to go, well done, and keep ‘em coming!

8. Ashley says:

I just came down with bad case of GSC! Just getting started at thrifting and I LOVE it! Almost as much as my boyfriend loves seeing what I just brought home for him to hall in! lol! Bring on the shirts and the 12 step program! :)

9. L.Duncan says:

Girl you are just the coolest!!!! HAHAHAHA! Yes, we do have it bad! I posted today about how I was at my sister’s house and had the nerves to ask for a mirror off of her wall! THe good thing about it is she let me have it!

These peices that you blogged about are so worth stashing:)

THe Goodwill Stash Club, we really shoud get some shirts made;)

Thank you, Kate for the shout out!!!

10. Oy vey! I’ve got 5 antique windows, three antique saws, and one antique desk in my garage. And then in my basement I’ve got two matching brass lamps, one secretary desk, and a vintage end table. So many ideas! Not enough time! I would totally rock one of those T-Shirts!

11. For this disease, I hope there’s never a cure…

12. The Domestic Fox says:

Sign me up!!! But mine isn’t necessarily the Goodwill – but the thought is the same. Thrift stores…Craigslist…yard sales…and now the weather is finally starting to warm up – you know there will be more of us crawling out of the woodwork as the spring gets into full swing. :Dh

13. kate blue says:

thank goodness we don’t have a garage! We have a single family home but we paid the builder extra to trick it out into a den, bedroom and addtl bath. Our driveway can hold 4 cars and we don’t like alotta junk so it works for us not to have that cluttered kinda space!

14. Virginia Mom says:

Um. What did you mean by “there was a time when my husband almost couldn’t park in the garage”? Almost?
    When ever would it be justified to displace the bounty of a fruitful thrifting excursion with such a thing as a …car? One hopes one would soon come to her senses and realize that garages were never intended as car parks! Cars are nice, but a dresser refinished in a distressed cloud gray satin latex with oil-rubbed bronze (-like) hardware … ah, Garage Majal!

15. Allison says:

Great post, Kate! I may be joining that club soon! Love that fabric you’ve ordered. That is going to look fabulous on your chair!

16. Amber says:

I definitely am a goodwill stasher!! I worked there for a while, and bought stuff home everyday! Finally the garage is so overflowed, I have been demanded to stop! LOL
    Glad I found all these crafty blogs showing me how to remake everything.

Love your blog by the way! just found it today :)

Thanks for sharing!

!~Amber

17. I think I am about to become a member of the club. After shopping all the furniture stores for bedroom furniture for my daughter, I decided to buy a dresser on craigslist and paint it. And I can’t tell you how excited I am, the disease has struck! My wonderful husband is going to pick up the dresser tomorrow and, yes, it will go in the garage. But at least I will not be hiding it from him!

18. Kristin says:

As I type this I’m looking at a $30 dresser that I’ve cleaned, but I’m still brainstorming on how to finish. Hopefully there is no membership fee, I need to save up for more in my stash.

19. Jane Little says:

I am in the club! Only I stash picture frames and all sorts of glass canisters.

20. I’d probably be in the club if I ever found anything beyond laminate at my thrift stores!!! I never find these treasures you all speak of!!!! fly down and show me the ropes!

21. Mindy says:

“Not only am I president, I’m also a client.” I’m not so much of a stasher though. I just fantasize. I pretend to buy it and then I fix it up in my head. If I had the room, I could definitely graduate to stasher status. I DID, however, come home with a $12 treasure this weekend that I will be blogging about later in the week. Weather permitted. I need a dry day for my spray painting plan.

22. Dewi says:

I wish i have Goodwill here in India, seems like everybody here bought new furnitures and keep them whole life.

23. Peggy says:

it’s clothes for me.
    I always seem to come home with something, but since I already have so many clothes, it’s hard for my hubby to tell that I have new ones!

I gaze longingly at other things, but know that I’d be disowned and divorced so fast I wouldn’t know what hit me, lol!

24. Virginia Mom, ya have me a rethinkin’ my priorities.

25. Bonnie says:

I guess I am super lucky, after doing this in my garage for a year my husband quit his job and we started a seemingly successful store. Now he hunts more than me and I have to work to keep his habit going. I can’t complain we did an amazing hunt today in a 87,000 sq ft building check it out http://www.thefinde.net .

26. Bonnie says:

I guess I am super lucky, after doing this in my garage for a year my husband quit his job and we started a seemingly successful store. Now he hunts more than me and I have to work to keep his habit going. I can’t complain we did an amazing hunt today in a 87,000 sq ft building check it out.

27. Definitely same here.

The other day I realized I hardly even have the room for all the new things I bought and still I could not resist the temptation.

Not good.

28. I will not be eligible for membership. I do, however, enjoy reading and seeing all about the transformations- perhaps I am enabling?! :) I am not a spontaneous shopper- we’re military and with frequent moves and not knowing what the next housing situation will be like, I am extremely picky about what comes into the house- I have to unpack all those boxes each time! Also, we’re on our second tour in a post-Soviet country; there’s nothing like living up close and personal to those who have a whole lot less and realizing that there is a lot of stuff I simply don’t need. {And a bonus- when we get our stuff back that’s in storage for 2.5 years, we find a whole lot more we can live without- the purge is so wonderful!}

29. meagan says:

Oh I love your magazine rack! I am looking for something just like that – and I am actually writing a post about my fav diy gems, am including your too great magazine rack!
    thanks,
    meagan, row house nest

30. Paige says:

I have a crystal chandelier wrapped in a black refuse bag, behind the Christmas ornaments … Don’t tell my family, ( especially my daughter)… I know she is gonna want it in her room !! It’s mine ! And, for now, it’s hidden, disguised as trash :-)

31. debra hamill says:

Hahahhaha! Thats where I stash my stuff!

32. I’m a part of a slightly different club…the GS&SC. That’s the Goodwill Stash & Sell Club. My stash never sits around for very long!

33. Saby says:

OMG if my husband could read this post he would sign me up for this club in seconds! Although my addiction doesn’t just pertain to Goodwill…there is Salvation Army…a local thrifting website…and of course the various other second hand stores around our town. We had THE TALK about a month ago and I banned myself from all of them (well from buying…not looking). Now I can only get something if I know exactly what I want to do with it, and where it’s going to go! Too funny – glad to know I’m not alone!

34. Heather says:

I also have another issue that sometimes rears its ugly head – Trash Day Collecter. Don’t worry I don’t go digging in people’s trash but I sometimes find treasures – like an old large picture frame that is dying to be refinished – that just happens to be situated next to their trash can on garbage pick up day.

35. nightowl_72 says:

Ha ha ha! My partner has heart palpitations every time he walks into our shed. Not that he uses it for anything anyway… he just hates clutter!

36. I am about to enter the club! After a lot of shopping, I’ve opted to buy a dresser for my daughter on craiglist and paint it. I’m actually giddy – the disease has struck. My husband is going to pick it up today and, yes, put it in our garage. At least he is taking part in it (this time) rather than me having to hide it!

37. Katie says:

Oh my gosh! I’m so bad! I think I have enough willpower to just drive on by, but somehow the steering wheel veers to the left and there I am, sitting in the parking lot of the thrift store. Well, I can’t just sit there, and I’ve already used the gas to pull myself into the parking spot. And I NEVER leave empty handed! My guy would be taken aback by the amount of stuff I have hiding all over the apartment. The problem is, besides my GW and thrift store addiction, is that we live in a small-ish duplex and already have a storage unit because we can’t fit everything as it is. I promise I will find a spot for everything once we get into a house, honest!

38. Laura says:

Sign me up too!! Although I dont have a big stash of things in my garage, I do have alot of unfinished pieces in the house- 2 nightstands, an unfinished headboard to upholster, and painting the kitchen cabinets! I have so many good ideas, but it takes me forever to finish them.
    Just the other day I found a beautiful sideboard for $75.00 at my local Salvation Army. I could just see it finished, with a beautiful stained top and ivory base with beautiful pulls. Since I checked with him before purchasing it he said “No”. My dear husband wants me to finish all the other things before I bring something else home. And he said “you will find another one just like it when you are ready to finish it” I doubt I will, but I just might convince him otherwise.

39. Miss Bee says:

OMG! I laughed so hard at the sweet version vs. the reality of the hubby’s comment! I think that is what I hear on a near daily basis:) I’m so in the club, although I have to say, so far, I’ve done good with not hoarding. Everything I’ve bought is in the process of being redone right now (o.k. I’m lying..it’s lined up but I am working diligently on each one going down the line to sell in my booth. That helps. Sell the stuff and they’re more patient when they see money coming back in!

40. teapotrose says:

Thank goodness! At last I found some of my own kind! :)

41. Dear Kate, I am a member of the Goodwill Stash Club. I thought i was the only one who bought and hid these treasures from her husband. My children now ask, is that from goodwill? Our garage is packed full of mirrors, dressers, and cobalt blue ladder back chairs that I could not pass up.

I know I need help but Goodwill makes my heart skip a beat.

I love goodwill! There, I said it! ;)

Thanks for the laugh this morning….I’ll blog about this club too. We are all in this together!!

Xoxo,
    Carrie

42. Susan says:

Blog Land needs a “like” button like Facebook because there are so many postings here I can relate to and “like”. A large portion of my house is from resale or thrift shops. LOVE them and yes, I do think it’s an addition! It’s the hunt and bargain as well as the final results/look. So sign me up! But don’t you love it when people come to your house and their comment is “I love that. Where did you get it?” Happy thrifting to all! :)

43. I need to join as well. My husband has threatened to throw away any more items I bring home until I finish the chairs/tables/etc that I have already stashed in the basement.

44. Oh my gosh…laughing at all these great comments. Do I have a problem if I’ve already designed our T-shirts in my mind?? ;) Love this post, my friend. You KNOW, I am right there with you!! (and the 123 other people who commented.)

45. MMmmmm – hiding things from husbands i see, I guess i need to call and let some husbands know all the ladies secrets -mmmmm. I love you ladies – all of you.

46. Heather says:

My Goodwill finds don’t even make into the garage…I stash stuff in the back of my VW wagon until I can start working on it. Sometimes I’ll find another “treasure” before I’ve unloaded the last find, and then I’m frantically repacking my car in a parking lot to get the new stuff inside!

47. kathleen says:

Hi Kate, I just saw the previews for tomorrow’s Nate Berkus Show. I’m looking forward to seeing it. That’s where I first caught the name of your blog and I’ve been checking it out almost every day since. Congratulations on your involvement in the ALMA project-it makes a difference.

48. Mikalah says:

Oh my goodness. I had no idea there were other women like me! Haha! I actually use the trunk of my car for a lot of my little GW purchases. In fact, I have a brass magazine rack in there right now… So glad I’m not the only one who has this illness. Now I feel like I can really get help!

49. Liz Leines says:

Oh yeah…I think I would fit it quite nicely to this club! I definitely have those items that have been very carefully sneaked into the house and hidden until I can fix them up. Luckily, as an artist and photographer, many of the items I purchase or find, end up being used in my photo shoots. However, I have plenty that aren’t and need to be dealt with when the weather is drier and warmer. Can’t wait! And….I know I am addicted to thrift shops because I am all too familiar with the stores’ music soundtracks!

50. Ofelia says:

I love the magazine stand… It is lovely. I think I am going to get me that peacock blue color for something… I don’t know yet, but something in my apt. has to be that color! :)

51. Dee you are hilarious!

Saby, we had THE TALK too! I was twitching the entire time.

MamaJo, we accept enablers too.

Britta, you troublemaker. I haven’t been there in awhile, but now it’s on my weekend agenda.

xo

52. candace says:

This is so funny because I always tell people how I find the best stuff at Goodwill. When my husband and I bought our first home (with 2 girls) we didn’t have any furniture for the home. I furnished my girls’ bedrooms and home with second hand and Goodwill furniture. I just finished a console table last week. It came with a hutch, both pieces for 75 bucks—get out!!!!

53. Emily says:

My GW is iffy… the AmVets, however… WOOO! I also stalk CL on a regular basis.
    At least I’m finally making progress on a chair project. Took the loss of our kitty to get me motivated enough to paint them and get them out of the house. I’ll post the B&A… when I can get another dry day for the final paint touches.
    Maybe we need a blog button?

54. Sarah says:

I am a pround member! Although, my fav is finding stuff on the side of the road for free. Luckily, (for my BF) we live in an apartment so that limits storage space. I dream of a workroom once we buy a house where I can stash all my finds. My boyfriend used to give me grief over this(we currently have two chair frames that need refinishing, springs, upholstery, the whole works) until I found a mid century walnut chair on the side of the road. I oiled the wood and stripped the yucky original and rain stained upholstery and redid it in a modern cream and green pattern with hot pink trim. Then, a few weeks later while antiquing in Sepastapol, we found the exact match with original upholstery for $250!!! Now, I get free reign! In fact, I just found a mid century Thonet chair for free on the street (still has its original Park Ave, NY label). I am trying to find a price on this so I can fix up and resell.

55. Angela says:

Pround card carrying member!

56. Megan says:

My name is Megan, and I’m a Goodwill Stasher. I’ve been clean for…OK nevermind! I’ll never be cured! I too love the thrill of the bargain hunt! Loved the post! SO funny! My husband appreciated it too! ;o)

57. Lisa says:

GASP!!!! I recognize myself! I recently bought yet another caned item- a darling French-legged side table. I quickly got it home and hid it in the Christmas decorations! NOW WHAT???? Same thing with a chair in the fall!!! HOW am I going to explain this????? And WHEN can I safely bring them out and use them?????? We need AA for furniture lovers!!!

58. Kate says:

Afflicted for sure. Going to do some painting today in fact!

59. Amanda says:

I realized my addiction this past week while the hubby was out of town . . . he came back to a garage full of fun finds . . . I had the unfortunate, yet wonderful accident of stopping at a garage sale where the home owner used the own an antiques store. A gorgeous mirror, mini barrel, antique tin lamp, vintage linens, and a gorgeous painting later, I knew I had issues.

Can we also add a sub category to the group for “I can’t pass up a good deal” issues?

Love the post! And please, don’t paint the mirror! How about adding some fun wall treatment with color behind the mirror or a painted piece sitting on top of the highboy dresser? What about distressed metal sconces on either side?

Love ya,
    Amanda

60. Me? I stash in the crawl space {a space under the main floor} that way no one knows of my stash but me!

61. Felicia says:

I am SO happy you posted this! I have a shed that is 900 sq. ft. and it is completely packed with furniture from yard sales to thrift stores. Luckily it is not needed by anyone so I don’t have the accountability of my husband, or other family members. When I see a great deal, even if I don’t need it, I have to get it! Recently I found a hutch for only 40.00!! It is on my web site now, and the before and after pictures are amazing! So to this I raise BOTH hands! ;-)

62. Mary says:

i’m in an apartment, so i have to stash in plain view a lot of the time. I have a 100+ year old trunk i got for $50 on craigslist that’s halfway finished.. it’s been hibernating until the weather in south carolina gets predictable enough for me to haul it outside for a few days and finish the interior and polish the metal pieces. but last fall i did strip the nasty old canvas, remove the interior paper, sand and stain the outside wood parts. and it’s looking awesome. i even did my research to restore it in a more traditional way (painting it would have been a huge mistake, so i’m glad i read up on trunks!)
    and on my porch i have a weathered diamond pane window- i spray painted the glass panes and now i just have to touch up and poly the frame. but now i’m thinking about painting the painted glass over with a chalkboard paint and going in another direction. so it’s been sitting on my porch in an undecided phase for 3 months now.

.. so long story short, i totally belong in the GSC!!

63. Mary says:

oh! and just this morning i bought this amazing indonesian style bookshelf (angled rack for leaning books diagonally) for my bf’s law books. i saw it at my fav thrift store yesterday, and they said it would be priced the next day, so of course i got up early this morning (on my day off!), nabbed it first, and snuck it in the apt before my bf woke up and could protest. :X

64. Kathy says:

I am completely a member and told my Husband there was no possible way I could go fishing with him this Saturday at least until I made my Goodwill rounds Saturday because it is 50% 0ff day Saturday!
    Recently I found an amazing yet beat up Highboy dresser and when I saw it I screamed, and people looked at me like I was nuts over such a abused dresser, but to me it was a true treasure!

I am very much apart of the club I buy things and try and find ways to get them in the house without my husband seeing them, or I try and make him believe I have had the items for awhile. LOL

65. Dawn Gabel says:

Unfortunately My Goodwill store doesn’t really have many furniture pieces for sale. It’s mostly clothing. However……I have bought many furniture items at my local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. I have scored BIG there!I purchased my Dining room hutch, my son’s bedroom furniture, replacement pieces for my China set,collectibles, but my biggest score was a hand painted wooden screen which was an antique. The volunteer told me it just came off the truck the day I bought it. The screen was solid wood panels hand oil painted of a mural of the Island of Capri in Italy…the family that donated it stated it was brought here from Italy in the 1920’s and they “didn’t enjoy” antique furniture! Are you kidding me??? It’s absolutely beautiful, I didn’t even have to have it cleaned. Fully open its about 8 feet long and 6 feet high. I gave it to my mother for Christmas last year and she was ecstatic. I can’t believe the luck I had I did pay $185.00 for it but it’s tax deductible!!!!! I love shopping there and at Goodwill, I make a weekly shopping trip to both stores, I have a stock pile of items I am just itching to refinish! You gotta love it!

66. Heather says:

May I have a t-shirt too? Until tonight I was feeling a bit isolated, consoled only by my overstuffed garage-o-goods. I secret away treasures and bring them into the house slowly over time…then when asked I say “oh, don’t you recognize that? It’s been in the garage for ages.” It worked for a while but he’s onto me now. It’s a nice feeling, being part of the GSC club.

67. Laura says:

This is an update to a previous comment. Just today I finished one of my nightstands that Ive been needing to do. And now since I got one of my many projects done, I got the go ahead to buy the sideboard from Salvation Army!! Plus it helped that I reminded him that he is going on a golf trip soon and that I would be spending way less than he is!! HAHA- I guess after 12 years, Ive figured out how to really get what I want anyway. I might end up coming home with more than just a sideboard, because I think I remember seeing the hutch that goes on top of it too!!

68. hahaha! Great post, Kate! I’m at the thrift store 1-2 x a week. It is an addiction. My favorite local store (St. Vincent de Paul) expects my weekly visits. Our Salvation Army and Goodwill are hit or miss but I can walk out of my favorite every time with something. I’m definitely hosting a yard sale once the weather warms up. I need more room! ;)

69. Heather H. says:

Kate-

I LOVE your blog. I’m a resident doc and my husband and I don’t have much money or time to decorate our house. Although we love Williams Sonoma and Ballard furnishings, not only are they expensive, I also hate the cookie cutter look that comes from buying everything at the same stores within the same few years. So far, I’ve bought three items from thrift stores and last week we picked up Rustoleum paint and supplies at Home Depot. I’m so excited to see the results.

THanks!
    Heather

70. Krissy says:

Me, me, me!! I’m a new member. We moved cross country a year ago and had 2 living rooms that needed to be furnished. When looking on craigslist for a coffee table, I found the same one I had just picked out at the local furniture store ($450 there) for $35! I was hooked. I just asked my friend the other day if she thought my house looked like a garage sale bc I have basically replaced every room with used furniture. She enthusiastically told me “No way!” (Gotta love good girlfriends!) I have always loved antiques but thought I couldn’t afford them. I just bought a 100 year old buffet to use as a media center for $150. I couldn’t have bought a particle board plastic veneered version at Target for that price. I am thinking of claiming that we are a “green” family instead of that I am addicted to old, beat up, cheap furniture. People who don’t get it just think you’re cheap. Being “green” seems to be much more chic!

71. Daniela says:

GREAT post! I am a member! I actually just forwarded a link to this post to my fiancée and the subject line was “Please read this so you may better understand me…”! haha

I found two great lamps for $8 each a few months ago and Ive been waiting to spray paint them! I live in Philly and the weather is just starting to warm up. So Ive been waiting so the spray paint wont crack in the cold weather. Needless to say, he’s not very happy that we have two huge lamps sitting around our small apartment that I refuse to use and refuse to repaint just yet!

72. I too have a Goodwill addiction. I buy great finds for the house and also items I can refurbish for our annual yard sale. I have found several antique items that were priced for a dollar or two that I was able to clean, polish and resell for ten or more at the sale. Alas, I do have some Goodwill stash items though. Those little gems, like the wooden table on my back porch that are just waiting for for some sanding and painting.

I dropped by from the link on Hoot and Dollar. I am now following you via GFC and hope you will visit my blog KY Klips Blog. Thanks!!

73. Ineedavacation says:

I didn’t realize there was a name for my problem. AND YOU GOT ME STARTED! I have a monstrous bookshelf in our garage. I plan to trick it out with trim and paint it off white.

74. Tyease says:

Yaaassss! I thought I was the only one! You name it, I’ve picked it up from GW. Just came home with a chair for 7 smackos that I plan to recushion and use as my desk chair.

75. [...] Goodwill has become my refuge. I think I could hang out there for hours, looking through all the books, furniture, clothes…. My basement has become littered with “projects” – I think I need this support group. [...]

76. Bev says:

I know this an old post, but this is the cutest post I have ever read! The funny part is that I have been thrifting for years-I started when I was twenty something and I am over 50 now. The sad part is that I am just now learning about painting furniture. The scary part is that I enjoyed trying it out, despite a tight budget and scarier yet, everything I look at, not only in stores but Everywhere…even in my elderly parents home, I see the potential in pieces I see. Matter of fact, there is a piece in mom and dad’s house…heavy as can be, that they don’t like that I was eyeing today! My brother supports what I am doing and gave me permission to use the garage so I think I might have been bit…hard!

Bev at diygranny.blogspot.com