Swanky Swell Settee

July 28, 2010

Oh the fabulousness just keeps on coming!   I received pictures of this settee revamp from a reader, and I am loving it.  Nina is a textile designer in San Francisco with a company called Swanky Swell, don’t you just love that name ?

Nina writes:

“I love your blog! I’d like to share with you the before and after of an antique settee I recently restored.  When I found this old settee, the fabric was outdated and the webbing was a complete shot. However, I was drawn to the shape of the frame and its Victorian style.  It had great bones to work with and I really saw potential in it, so I decided to give it another life.

I am a textile designer from the San Francisco Bay Area and I decided to restore this settee using one of my organic prints for the front and a matching solid in eggplant color for the back. The fabric is an upholstery weight certified organic cotton.  The frame was lacquered in high gloss black and new webbing and foam were installed. Double welt in the solid eggplant finishes the look.”

Before:

settee before

After:

settee after 2

settee after 1

Nina’s original textile designs are available for you online at Swanky Swell.  Here’s a few of her stylish prints I’d love to bring into my home!

swanky swell fabrics

Aren’t they lovely ?  You can also purchase Nina’s fabrics in her Etsy shop

45 Responses to “Swanky Swell Settee”

1. All I can say is wow! That is so incredible!

2. Hot Dog! That’s what I thought to myself when I saw that settee! I’m planning to feature that too, it’s amazing! And I’m also trying to get up the nerve to try the trellis thing in my little girls room (do you think it would work in a baby room? In … yellow? I don’t know, am I way off?) I really love how it looks though, yours is FAB! I hope I can keep my ADD at bay long enough to see it through, maybe I’ll just find a REALLY BIG stencil and only have to paint it once or twice! ;) ha ha!

3. Oh my!! Wow is right! That settee is amazing! Simply Gorgeous!!! Wow, what a great transformation!

4. Christine Aldinger says:

i’ll make that a wow and i said that outloud

5. Tira J says:

Gorgeous! Makes me want to buy it and use it for a portrait session.

6. Beautiful settee! I love the fabric she used. I loved the fabric over at her etsy shop too. Such wonderful colors and prints!

7. Megan says:

Wow is what comes to mind here also! Absolutely gorgeous.

8. Debra says:

What a makeover. It’s so stylish now!

9. Struggler says:

Oh my gosh, it’s stunning. I am joining the stampede in the direction of her Etsy shop!

10. Looks gorgeous! I love that the new fabric is organic too. :)

11. Victoria says:

Love, love, love!!!

12. That’s gorgeous. I was stunned. Just goes to show a little imagination goes a long way

13. Angie Pitre says:

Beautiful! Love the name too!

14. freck says:

Absolutely stunning! I’d so love to do something like this to pieces of furniture, what an awesome talent! It looks gorgeous!

15. Wow, that is fabulous! Love the new look of the settee. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany

16. Oh, wow!!!! It looks amazing. I love the fabric in the bottom right corner in the collage you made. Trés cute. :)

17. Olive Cooper says:

That is amazing! Love it. olive♥

18. Miranda says:

Wow, that looks simply amazing! I love the fabric. I’m going to have to check out her site. Pretty!

19. Jeannine520 says:

Much, much better, it actually looks cute now!

20. jeannine says:

That is down right sexy!! :)

21. Jeralee says:

I love this. I want this… What a great choice in both paint and fabric..

22. Sarah says:

Oh my word!!! That transformation is AMAZING!! I wish I knew how to recover furniture. The fabric choices are so pretty.

23. Kacey says:

Oh, my. Simply stunning!

24. Design Love says:

So incredible! I am actually on a hunt for a settee for my kids t.v room/loft area! I thought, how funky if you could do it in bright bold fabric and a down cushion for cozy!

Great post!

Cindy

25. Tonia says:

Such a fabulous transformation. However, I would have kept the channel-back.

26. Annessa says:

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

27. Nina Jizhar says:

Thank you for all the wonderful comments!

Nina

28. love love LOVE that settee! Wow. makes me want to do some serious reupholstering…now if only i knew how!

29. This piece of work is definitely something to be proud. Kudos for sharing!

30. Irene says:

That’s an amazing piece of furniture. It’s huge, classic, almost regal. She did a great job refinishing it.

31. Michelle says:

The only word for this: oh so FABULOUS !!

32. Wowza!! I have seen these old settees on Craigslist before, but didn’t think they would look good reupholstered and painted. I have been proven wrong! I love it!

33. Victoria says:

Whoa!…I saw a chair like that at a thrift store & I let visions of hard work restoring it ,overwhelm me.Beautiful piece sette this is.Very Nice!!

34. Holly says:

Amazing transformation. Just beautiful!

35. Michelle says:

Beautiful job!! It looks fantastic! : )

36. melinda says:

Lovely transformation! Inspiration like this makes me want to rescue every antique piece I see from craigslist!

37. That’s fantastic! I love it.

XO
    Lenore

38. Courtney says:

It’s beautiful. Wow. I am in love.

39. Tania says:

very stylish! Thanks for sharing

40. Julie says:

Oh hold on, I have to wipe up my drool. It’s beautiful!

41. Shelly1 says:

I have an old Duncan Phyfe Sofa someone gave me that is in really good condiction except for
    cat scratch on fabric. The wood is in such good condition I would not want to paint it. What do
    you suggest for fabric to recover to update?

42. I am so glad to see this antique piece upholstered in a modern fabric. My mom has some furniture that has been in our family for a long time, and though the pieces themselves aren’t my style, I can imagine recovering them in a really snazzy modern fabric someday. The setee is gorgeous! Wish I lived in SF!

43. Nicki says:

WOW! I have been stalking the digital cutting machines for some time now…. the time just comes when you need (yes, need… not want) to be able to add professional shapes and trickier… words to your designs. I’ve been working on embellishing vintage suitcases but have been stymied by inability to paint the lettering on them…. The Silhouette is going to work out great.

44. Abby says:

This is awesome! I keep looking on craigslist and ebay for a setee to redo like this. I’ve acutally been looking for over a year. I’d like to use it in my kitchen.

Anyways, how much does a reupholstery job like this cost? I’m trying to save up so when I find one, I can handle it! :)

45. BEAUUUUUTIFUL! I WENT THRU EVERY ONE OF YOUR BEFORE AND AFTER PICS LAST NIGHT! There is nothing better to me than finding a beautiful piece at a thrift store and making it into a gem! Thanks for all the beautiful pics to look at and all the inspiration!