DIY Personalized Candles

December 16, 2009

I started working on this idea a few weeks ago, and finally got around to finishing up this little experiment of mine just the other day.  I wanted to create some original candles with plain glass containers and soy wax for the holidays and to give as gifts.

Here is the first of the four candles I created.  This version has a cranberry tinted soy wax inside a plain glass oval container – it is painted and embellished with a glittery seasonal message.

wish candle

Supplies: plain glass heat safe container, microwavable soy wax, chip board letters (or stickers), pre-waxed wick, frosted glass spray paint, white spray paint, glue stick, painter’s tape, glitter.

stick chipboard to glass

Step One:  Attach chip board letters with just enough glue from a glue stick to keep them in place.  You could also use stickers or Cricut letters here.

Anything goes !

Cover the top of glass with painter’s tape (or simply turn it upside down) and spray with two coats of frosted glass spray paint.  Allow to dry for 30 minutes in between coats.

Note: Most ordinary colored spray paint’s are not designed for glass, but frosted glass spray paint is, therefore it acts as a good primer for any subsequent colored spray paint you choose.

Step Two:  Once your two coats of frosted glass paint are dry, spray paint your color coat of choice (I used what I had from my stockpile: Rustoleum’s Heirloom White).  After you’ve sprayed your glass with your colored spray paint, sprinkle glitter into the paint while the paint is still wet.

heirloom white and glitter

Step Three:  Remove chipboard letters.

Melt your microwavable soy wax in the microwave and add any colored tint you choose.

If you want to have a white wax but colored letters underneath, then use colored paint designed for glass to paint the inside of the glass before you add your white wax.

correct with tool

Remove your letters and scrape away any residue from the glue stick or paint with a small flathead screwdriver or similar tool.

** You’ll notice the wax is already in the candle – I actually chose to paint it white after I filled it with wax, but I recommend doing the wax last, after you paint.

Step Four:  Melt your microwavable soy wax in a microwave safe glass container (like a Pyrex measuring cup) about 2 to 3 cups at a time.  Add tint, then pour into heat safe glass container with a wick.  Use a chopstick or similar tool to support your wick as your candle cools.

use chopstick

Once your wax is cooled and your paint and glitter have dried, your candle will look like this.

glitter wish candle

wish candle sparkle

You can do your own version with “Joy” or “Noel” or “Merry” or “Bah Humbug” or whatever you like.  Imagine making this with someone’s name, wouldn’t that be charming ?   It would look so pretty with pale blue or green tinted wax too, especially next to the glittery surround.

This next candle was another experiment creating a painted monogram and filling a plain glass container with golden tinted wax.

monogram k candle

Supplies: plain circular glass container, microwavable soy wax, stickers, frosted glass spray paint, bronze spray paint.

frosted glass spray paintTo create this candle, attach stickers of choice to a glass candle holder, then spray with two coats of frosted glass spray paint.  Again, the frosted glass paint acts as a primer for your color coat because frosted glass spray paint is designed to adhere to glass, whereas most colored spray paints are not.

Although, I must say, I’ve never tried to use regular Rustoleum spray paint on glass, so I’m not sure how well it sticks to glass without the frosted glass paint underneath.  Anyone know ?

After the frosted glass paint was dry, I painted the candle with another color I had on hand, Rustoleum’s Antique Bronze.  Tip:  When removing your stickers peel away very carefully so that your color coat does not peel off the glass with your stickers.

types of dyes

add scentMelt your soy wax in the microwave.  Add any color you want to tint it beyond its white color.

There are plenty of dyes available.  I used the liquid red for the “wish” candle and the stick version for the monogram candle.

You can also add scent – I used some lavender essential oil I already had to the melted wax before it solidified.

Allow your wax to cool, then tie it with a pretty ribbon and give it to a friend.

Or make one as a gift for yourself, as I did in this case !

brown monogram candle wrapped

“Merry Christmas Kate !”

This next candle was made with an antique tea cup and saucer.  My sister-in-law adores Victorian style tea cups, and she loves candles too.  So I picked up this antique German tea cup (although it is 12 ounces, so it’s more like a coffee cup) at the Antique Fair

She will love this sweet floral design.

antique tea cup and saucer

I pulled this idea right out of the Cambria Cove catalog – their tea cup and saucer candles cost $50 dollars.  Yikes !  This version only cost $5 dollars for the antique cup and saucer, and a few dollars for the soy wax and wick to fill it.

Here’s the snapshot from Cambria Cove – I just love this novel idea, without the price tag.

cambria cove teacup candle Image: Cambria Cove

I wrapped it in cellophane and ribbon for an original Christmas present just for my sister-in-law.  Hope she doesn’t read this before Christmas… oops  !  Isn’t this a charming idea for tea cups and saucers?  What a great gift for bridesmaids or teachers or any other special lady.  And so unbelievably easy to make !

amethyst candle with ribbonI have a girlfriend who loves jewel tones, so I found this amethyst colored glass candle on clearance at a local store – it already had the scented wax in it, so I attached a big letter sticker to the glass, then I spray painted it with frosted glass, and added glitter while the frosted glass paint was still wet.

The frosted glass paint works just as well as a spray adhesive to keep the glitter in place.

So easy !

Then I wrapped it up in cellophane and ribbons, and will be giving it as a hostess gift next week.

Pretty cute and easy peasy.  These would make great gifts for teachers too !

That’s the latest of my experiments with frosted glass spray paints and glitter. . .   I especially love the tea cup and saucer creations – wouldn’t they be so elegant at a tea party, or as place card gifts at a bridal shower ?

What do you think ?

45 Responses to “DIY Personalized Candles”

1. Kate says:

Gorgeous as always! Really like this idea! Thanks x

2. Karena says:

I wish you were here in KC, so we could do these fun projects together! You’re the best! Karena

3. Jen says:

LOVE THIS IDEA!! There are so many possibilities!

4. Kristen says:

I’m working on my Bah Humbug candle as we speak!

Seriously, though, they look great!

5. GREAT IDEAS! Love these. Brilliant as always.

6. Victoria Kageni says:

Absolutely creative and very impressive.Yes,the possibilities ARE infinite.Oh ,and your Mom looks fabulous:-)

7. I have never seen anything like this. Great idea!

8. Sally says:

I love the teacup candle idea. It’s so cute. I’m not a DIY-er, but that is one I definitely plan to try. I’ll be looking for teacups or mugs in thrift stores to be sure!

9. Kerry says:

LOVE this idea!! If I had more time, it’s something I’d do this holiday season… but definitely something I will keep in mind for the future! Thanks for sharing! :)

10. This is a fabulous idea. I may have to squirrel it away for gifts next year. I especially like the one with just the frosted glass paint. So pretty.

11. lori guye says:

I got called into the Principals office at my childrens school the other day. Not for any problems thank goodness. The Principal – Ellen is a huge fan. I was told “you have GOT to check out this blog centsationalgirl” – well I just did,and I love it! Glad I stopped by – lloking forward to seeing what’s in store for the future. All the best, Lori

12. Deb says:

I just love this idea! I’ve been dying to try the frosted glass paint.

BTW, my hubby is a painting contractor (30 years experience) and I just asked him, “Honey, will Rustoleum spray paint stick to glass without a primer?” His answer: “If you don’t want it to, it will stick to anything.” hahaha. But, yeah, he said it should adhere just fine as long as you have a clean surface. :o) We’ll have to give that a try…

13. I love this idea! Great tutorial, I’ll have to tuck that away and try it soon!

14. AnaIsa says:

Great ideia! The final result is awesome:-)
    Hugs from Portugal,
    AnaIsa

15. Leanne says:

So beautiful! These would make great Christmas gifts (for next year). Thanks for sharing this great idea.

16. Leigh Anne says:

You are so creative! This is a great gift idea:) I’m all about the homemade gifts this year.

17. hattie says:

These turned out so pretty! I think anyone would love to receive one as a gift. Thanks for the super idea.

18. Tammy says:

The wish candle is stunning with the contrast of dark red and sparkly white!

19. I love the teacup one! The thrift store is a great place to find plain glass container… Another great idea Kate!

20. Heidi A says:

What a wonderful idea! It went into my list of DIY gifts for next year. :)

One quick question…it looks like the letters are inverted and the rest of the candle is raised…is that simply due to the layers of paint surrounding them?

LOVE!

21. What a great idea! I LOVE the teacup candle! I can think of several people who would love that as a gift!

Fabulous as usual!

Sarah

22. Cha Cha says:

I love the candles, amazing idea. I love how you can made a gift for extremely different people with the supplies. I am going to try this one.

23. Neeza says:

Just lovely. Any of these would make a great personalized gift throughout the year. Thanks for sharing.

24. charity says:

OMG, is there no end to your creative, decorative genius? How do you find the time and where do you get your ideas?

25. Kendall says:

Beautiful!!! I especially love the shape of the container on the WISH candle. The teacup candles are really JUST DARLING!

26. Hey Kate! Lovely candles! I love the one you made for yourself. Thanks for sharing!

27. Great minds think alike! I included a very similar project in my Christmas Cheats ebook that I released last month. I found a great, cheap product that helps it stick to the glass a little better, too!

28. So many great ideas!!! I wish I had read all this before I bought gifts but I will remember this for upcoming birthdays etc! Thank you for all the great tips!

29. great gift idea and beautifully executed–

30. Carol in Indian Springs says:

What a wonderful idea! I try to have some girlfriends over every spring for a get together and I think this would be the perfect gift. I’ll have to do some cup and saucer searching after Christmas to make those pretty teacup candles. And it would be a good little pick-me-up to take to those who have been sick as well. So many things you can do with this one!

31. Beeeeeautimous!!! :) My favorite is the “wish” candle. You never cease to amaze me, girlie! :)

32. Jane says:

I recently tried spray painting glass, I think the frosted glass spray paint as primer was a *very* wise idea! They all look so great!

33. Darling idea!!! thanks.

xo,
    cristin

34. Sue says:

You are so good with this stuff. I’m saving this and I’ll try it when it isn’t a hectic time. I would love to be able to make these.

Sue

35. I LOVE these! What a great idea!!!! I can’t wait to try it after the holidays are over!

36. You are amazing! I wish I was one of your girlfriends…I’d happily gush over one of your handmade gifts for me:) Holly

37. Raru says:

Amazing idea :) Lovely.
    Have a nice day :)

Raru

38. Denise says:

Wow, those are so cute and creative. Think I might try this one! Have a wonderful holiday season, Kate! -Denise

39. sharon says:

What a great idea … I love your Wish candle. I’m going to save your teacup idea for next year. We are having a dinner party for my Mother’s 85th birthday … wouldn’t they look nice all lit up around the centrepiece. THANKS>

40. Susan says:

Wow, you make it look soooo easy! Would love to try this sometime! Thanks for the how-to!
    Susan

41. Rachel says:

Wow, those are so, so lovley! Thanks so much for the how-to, I’ll be linking.

42. Kristin says:

What a gorgeous DIY idea. Love the monogram!

43. [...] vey.  So much information, too little time.  I’ve used the frosted version here and here, the chalkboard version here and here, and the plastic version here and here, all with great [...]

44. Catie says:

I only stumbled upon this today (almost a year later), but I am already so excited to make these for my family and married friends! What a great way to make a Pottery Barn-esque gift on a dime. Thank you!

45. Jen says:

I love this! Browsing through your archives and came across it. I featured you on my blog this morning, feel free to check it out!
    Jen