A Touch of Tropical

May 15, 2014

Yes, it’s true, I’m on a tropical kick lately, and I find myself drawn more and more to accents of bold palm print textiles and carved wood furniture. I’ve always been a coastal inspired girl, the sand and sea palette is present everywhere in my home, but the breezy look of rooms inspired by climates closer to the equator now has me craving touches of the islands indoors.

tropical touches sunroom

tropical touches living room

rachel reider / siegel architects

Tropical interiors take their cue from the islands where you’ll find botanicals in bright hues, ocean blues, and lush greens. Inserting a touch of tropical into your home is a breezy way to break away from coastal inspired looks for a feel that’s more exotic.

palm print textiles

house beautiful

Tropical textiles are one way to capture the look at home. Consider fabrics or rugs for your bedroom or living room that possess a palm frond or island botanical motif.

palm print headboard

linen and tropical textiles

tropical floral rug

palm print pillows

style at home / henderson design group / company c / olga adler interiors

Carved wood furniture is another way to get the West Indies look a home.

2073601_Phoeb0083

carved wood bed

phoebe howard / group 3 designs

Pineapple patterns and accents are trending, yes that humble fruit that is also a symbol of hospitality in the South! Time to put a pineapple (or parrot) on it to bring that island vibe indoors.

pineapple in kitchen rue mag

parrot decor

island touches in kitchen

pineapple pillow

rue mag / house beautiful / remodelaholic / life instyle

Any home, coastal or cottage, can capture the feel with the presence of a few large palm fronds or banana leaves. Stick them in a vase, turn on the ceiling fan, and watch them sway in the breeze . . .

striped chairs palm branches house beautiful

mona ross berman living room

house beautiful 1 / 2

Who’s ready for a touch of tropical in your home?

15 Responses to “A Touch of Tropical”

1. Great collection of inspiration pics. I have always loved touches of tropical in my home. It’s so cheerful and who wouldn’t want to feel like they were on vacation all the time anyway?!!
    -Shelley

2. Kassie says:

Great examples, Kate.:) I would love to see and updated shot of your living room with all of the changes you have made recently! Have you pulled the tropical element into the new space?

3. Centsational Girl says:

Soon Kassie, some of my summer fabrics in my collection have tropical motifs too!

4. Michelle says:

I love the tropical look as well. Love all of these pictures, they are all so pretty!

5. Melissa says:

Great post! When I hear the words “tropical decor” my mind immediately races back to the set of the Golden Girls in the 1980’s! This will really help to get that image out of my head! :)

6. Centsational Girl says:

You’re not alone Melissa! I was chatting with my sister about it too, she said the same thing!!

7. Lily says:

I think just a *touch* is perfect — not too much though, overload scares me!

x Lily

8. Jesse says:

Oh I love these tropical rooms! They look great without being over the top. I’ve noticed a lot of pineapple lately too……

9. Andrea says:

Can I just transport myself into those photos please!

10. Rucha says:

Love these! I grew up in a tropical region, and it’s lovely to see this inspiration

11. Jennifer says:

Since we put in a pool last year I’ve carried the tropical style in my house. I love the way it blends with my cottage style home and furniture. Considering how hot it gets here, it makes sense to bring anything in that makes it feel cooler!

12. Mystica says:

Gorgeous photographs.

13. Mr Warner says:

I would love an extension like on the first photo. I don’t think I would get any work done as I would be sitting in there all day when the kids went school. STOP POSTING NICE THINGS I CANT HAVE! :)

14. Monnaie says:

Such a beautiful interior designing and decoration. I like the Architecture design of the home very much. Thanks for the post!

15. Betty819 says:

Kate, thanks for all this inpsiration. I’ve been looking online for tropical accessories/accents to place into our sunroom which was painted last year and am at a standstill. Need to go shopping locally alone so I can take my time and think.