Weekend Reading

March 21, 2014

Hello all, I’m back from our Spring Break trip! It’s amazing what a few days spent in the sunshine napping in lounge chairs can do for the soul, how nice it was to check out for a week!

While at my parents’ house I spent some time with my dad, I’m helping him write his memoirs, he will be 70 next year so he’s documenting all the funny things he’s experienced and what he’s learned in his lifetime. He’s written over 100 autobiographical short stories and anecdotes so we’re compiling them by chapters. What a treasure to pour over his experiences from his youth through adulthood and fatherhood. I must have thrown my head back in laughter two dozen times, tears streaming down my face as he recounted his experiences. I know most of the stories but how wonderful to hear them retold again in his voice.

And speaking of stories, I do so love a great renovation tale, especially one where the homeowners design a space to suit their tastes and lifestyle. I’m smitten with this renovation by Lauren of Pure Style Home, be sure to read about the process here.

Liess Home

And some favorite links I stumbled across while I browsed the internet on my week off:

Affordable versus cheap

12 design apps for remodelers

Dated kitchens refreshed without remodeling

The neuroscience of color

A helpful guide to wood look ceramic tile

The power of the Kreg Jig – 15 fab DIY projects

Big congrats to John & Sherry for their product line now available at Target!

A 300 foot slipe ‘n slide in the middle of a city street – crazy fun

I so love the Curtain Lady

Finally, I’m proud to be mentoring Tracy of Right Up My Alley in the Creating with the Stars challenge - she has several impressive DIY projects lined up, I’ll share them as they happen.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

11 Responses to “Weekend Reading”

1. tiara says:

I’m in love with that kitchen. I’m currently planning a remodel and could imagine cooking in that kitchen! Have a great weekend.

2. Can’t wait to read these links throughout the weekend and congrats to John and Sherry for their product line! Also, what an amazing task you are helping your dad with. So special!

3. HollyB says:

So happy to hear about the project with your Dad! You ARE video taping him tell these stories, too? Great post today ;-)

4. Doreen Grace says:

Thanks for sharing the article on the neuroscience of color. That is fascinating stuff!

5. Lindsay H says:

I’d love to convince my dad to do an autobiography! He was the first of his siblings born in Canadaand his parents (my grandparents) had a really rough time during the war. His stories keep trickling out, but it would be so interesting to sit him down and coax them all out at once.

6. Michele says:

Love to hear about your dad writing his life story this way and your supporting him! I teach workshops on writing life stories and writing in the way you described as short stories and antidotes is my fav! You are a precious daughter!

7. This is really wonderful to be able to learn your father side of your family and his story , i appreciate so much people who know how to write , i wish i had writing skills and the ability to tell a story.
    Love that picture wall in this kitchen

8. paul says:

Thanks for the shoutout Kate..
    Glad you enjoyed the Kreg article!

9. Loom Decor says:

Love, love, love your list of apps. Thanks for the great tips!

10. JithinC says:

Say all the best to your father. Make sure he publishes it and give all an opportunity to read…

11. Karen says:

My fave, or one of them is Linden Monaco Blue. I just love it. But then I love so much of what of what they have. This is just what I need to finish off the guest room. This would really come in handy, and is much needed. Thank you for offering this!
    Always the best CG