Pattern Files: Geometric Tile Floors

February 25, 2014

Now that the Color Series is over, I thought I’d start a new series on the use of pattern in home design. I notice pattern everywhere I go from the mosaic tile floors of historic buildings to home accessories in botanicals and geometrics motifs, and of course in the abundance of textiles around the world from past and present.

Geometrics are all the rage in interior design and installing a graphic tile pattern on the floor makes a dramatic style statement. There are countless options available in ceramic, mosaic, porcelain, marble, stone, and cement for those who seek a graphic pattern. The bonus of an intricate geometric tile floor is the lack of any necessity for a large area rug since the floor takes the spotlight.

Yesterday I pinned this image, a great example of transitional design including warm wood tones and traditional shapes paired with contemporary chrome finishes, but it was that gorgeous bathroom floor that really caught my eye. The classic black and white checkerboard floor will never go out of style, but this is a fresh spin with a circular motif on a smaller scale.

black and white tile floor in bathroom

new york times

Tile is durable, waterproof, and cooler to the touch than other flooring surfaces, which is especially nice in summer when you live in warm weather climates. Like wood, tile floors harbor less dust compared to carpet and are beneficial to those sensitive to allergens. It can be very cold in winter but enter radiant heat, the best modern invention ever for the tile loving home owner!

If you’ve ever considered a bold statement such as this, here are a few more examples to tempt you.

geometric mosaic tile entry

carden cunietti

aqua walls tile floor housetohome

house to home

geometric tile floor skona hem

skona hem

geometric tile floor in mud room

design*sponge

patterned tile floor in bathroom

etica studio

yellow and gray breakfast nook house beautiful

house beautiful

modern geometric pattern in bathroom

linda bergroth

entry tile floor domino

domino magazine

house beautiful black and white patterned tile floor

house beautiful

jessica helgerson geometric tile floor

jessica helgerson design

tile floors modern meets cottage bathroom

m elle design

bobby flay bathroom geometric cement tiles

elle decor

blue geometric tile floor

via lovely life

moroccan tile floor skona hem

skona hem

There is good news for those who prefer something softer underfoot than ceramic or stone tile, designers and manufacturers are bringing luxury geometric vinyl and linoleum tiles to market!

crogan linoleum floor

crogan geometric floors

crogan inlay floors x 2

vinyl geometric flooring

harvey maria

I can’t wait to incorporate a graphic patterned tile floor into a fixer someday, perhaps  in an entry or bathroom, it’s a favorite look of mine.  You too?

25 Responses to “Pattern Files: Geometric Tile Floors”

1. AnnMarie says:

These area gorgeous! I wish I had a house so that I could do something like this in one. ~sigh~ Alas. Maybe one day when I finally buy my own home.

Also, you might be interested to know that radiant, underfloor heating has actually been around for thousands of years, if not in this hemisphere. I’m most familiar with the Korean application, which is still in use today (although in a modernized way). I lived there for two years and radiant heating is the best thing on the planet, I can’t imagine why we don’t use it more in the US. It’s more efficient by far and you never have cold feet in the winter.

2. So, it just got awkward when I started ooh-ing and ahh-ing at my desk at work. Whoopsie! Seriously, I’m in love with these patterned floors. Amazing!!

Good to know Ann Marie, and here I thought it was only an electrical thing, who knew? You! Thanks !

4. Jennifer S says:

I can’t say that this is ever a home decor look that I ever would have thought I would like, but I absolutely adore every one of these pictures! New obsessions!

5. chelsea says:

I have really admired this stuff but it all looks like cement or encaustic tile which is soooo expensive. Do you have any ideas on a budget friendly alternative? I have come up dry…

6. I must be older than all you… these remind me of the 70s or 80s. I like the rooms but I don’t like the floors at all, sorry.

7. Corinne says:

Fabulous post and amazing inspiration photos. Personally, I am in love with quatrefoil and arabesque tiles in multiple colors. I especially like the first and last photos.

8. Susan says:

Cork can also be done in patterns, similar to the linoleum examples. We once had cork floors and loved them. Softer, warmer & quieter than tile. Also, resistant to mold, insects, and easy to maintain.

9. Danielle says:

Love all of these floors! Thank you for all this wonderful inspiration.

10. Deidre says:

I LOVE the black and white bathroom. Gorgeous! I love, love, love it! I wish I had a large bathroom like that.

What I don’t understand is a few of these bathrooms had huge windows but it looked like they did not have any window coverings. I think it looks beautiful but whenever I see photos like that, I wonder about the practicality of privacy issues.

11. Lois says:

LOVE your blog and have been following for years!! Great job and lots of creative inspiration. Thank you. As for the patterned floors. I was around in the 70s and I have been there- done that. There are people flipping houses who are ripping up patterned floors and replacing them with something more neutral. It’s just not classic and competes with fabrics and other details in the room. A focal point should not be the flooring. Maybe a rug.

12. I’ve always loved geometric tiles. They lend a certain character to a room that sticks in your mind. To this day I remember the first time I saw them in a bathroom at our hotel room in NY City. A true classic that has defied the test of time.

13. Pam says:

I agree with Julie and Lois. These look like linoleum from the seventies! We ripped ours out years ago and installed wood floors.

14. Richelle B says:

I like the softer colors in the picture from M Elle design but most of those are just way too busy for my taste.

15. sandyc says:

Fun to look at but, other than some of the classics in a bathroom, way too much – in fact the 3-dimensional ones make me dizzy looking at them – can’t imagine walking on them. One of the biggest challenges is that patterned equals busy and too much busyness disturbs the eye and doesn’t allow it to focus or forces the focus unnaturally. For me, best is to look, comment to myself, then mentally walk through the room and move on. Again, fun to look.

16. the misfit says:

I have just killed my third stove (well, the first one was dead when we showed up, and the second I tried to raise from the dead. And the manufacturer helped me do the third one in. But anyway, that’s way too many stoves) and I am on the lookout for another and I am now completely in love with the one in the first Skona Hem picture (fourth picture overall). In fact, I love everything in the picture, but I’m (probably) not going to rip out everything in my kitchen and replace it just at the moment. Unfortunately, I don’t recognize the manufacturer (is it weird that I can now recognize Aga and La Cornue from a six-inch sliver in a home decor shot?), and the logo is too small to read, even on the original page. (I think it might say RYE. Or, L.VE.) Do you happen to know what kind of stove that is??? I need one!!

Thank you!

I love the differences of opinion here! True they are busy patterns and require a commitment, and a look you can mimic with the right rug in a temporary way, thanks everyone for your thoughts on the topic!

18. the misfit says:

And so that I’ve contributed something – in response to Chelsea’s comment – I think a lot of it is encaustic tile. While that is unquestionably expensive, for small quantities (a wee powder room floor, or a backsplash inset behind the stove, say), you could get it for not-entirely-crazy prices at http://www.aventetile.com/product_categories/153.cfm. I have been planning for years to hit them up when I have a wee bathroom to redo :).

19. erin says:

I love the Harvey Maria tiles, but they’re just too expensive (from the UK). Any ideas on where to find geometric vinyl tiles in the US that won’t break the bank?

Thank you The Misfit! Great source, thanks.

21. Shelly says:

Oh, swoooooonnnnnn! Such gorgeous patterns. My fave is the one from House to Home {http://www.housetohome.co.uk/house-tour/picture/be-inspired-by-an-eclectic-victorian-flat-in-north-london/7}

22. the misfit says:

…aaaand, to continue my campaign of driving people crazy today: my colleague has an eagle eye and was able to discern the “ILVE” logo at the bottom of the stove. That model (the Nostalgie, I think it’s called) WITHOUT the double oven will run you $3800 in the US. So maybe I’ll be looking at something else :). Just thought I’d share in case someone with a more expansive budget fell in love with it too! Thanks for sharing all these beauties, Kate!

23. sandy boyette says:

I love the tiles – but also the oven – it is gorgeous

24. Jill says:

Not liking any of the the floor tiles depicted here. Way too much pattern = a seriously dizzying affect.

25. Elizabeth says:

I’m dreaming of new tile in our bathrooms and kitchen. Some of these are really neat. Would love a round-up of good sources for patterned tiles!