Color of the Year?

December 1, 2013

The buzz at the beginning of December in the design world is what will the Pantone Color of the Year be? Last year the announcement was Emerald and we all went crazy for it, it was wonderful to have such a rich jewel tone step into the spotlight.

pantone color of the year emerald 2013

In late 2011, we saw Tangerine Tango named Color of the Year for 2012 and subsequently it popped up in so many textiles and home accessories.

tangerine tango color of the year

Here is the history of colors that came before them, ranging from vivid reds and oranges to softer shades of blue and even a neutral.

pantone color of the year history

Some designers have taken a guess at what they think/hope the Color of the Year for 2014 will be, you can read that here.

What about you? Is it time for a shade of purple? Will it be another red? A lighter version of green? A subdued neutral like we saw in 2006? There were a lot of opinions shared on Facebook yesterday. I’d love to see a paler pink shade like apricot or blush be named, and I’m always a fan of any shade of blue. What about you? What color do you think or hope it will be?

Follow the Pantone Color of the Year 2014 hashtag on Facebook and #coloroftheyear on Twitter to find out the announcement coming this week!

image sources: pantone / plenty of colour

19 Responses to “Color of the Year?”

1. cassie says:

i would love to see indigo as the color of the year (i have it all over my house and love it! :) ). BUT i also think a charcoal or black could be a great contender.

2. Tiffany says:

I found them on Instagram too; I’m excited to hear what the new color will be!

3. julia says:

Gold!

4. Laurel says:

I had heard much brouhaha about cobalt this year and I like me some cobalt :) fingers crossed…

5. I am voting for purple! It’s about time she shines!

6. Trish says:

While I love purple, I am loving Sherwin Williams color, chrysanthemum. It’s kind of like if apricot and sunset orange got together and had a baby.

7. Kristine says:

I’m not really a colour trend kinda gal, though I’m sensing the Pantone colour for 2014 will be some form of purple, plum maybe.

8. I don’t know what it will be , but after the bright emerald i think i would love to see some brown coming up.

9. May sound kinda strange but I projected a couple months ago that I think it’s gonna be Lilac! I’ve seen it in tons of interiors, shelter mags, etc., so that’s my guess!

10. I’m game for a rich purple or deep blue…or even a pale pink!

You may be right Shavonda, that would be a very fresh color !

12. My bet is on a colour that would be “mint meet seafoam”!

13. Leslie says:

I’d love to see periwinkle.

14. Rita says:

I’d love to see coral.

15. Christa Mae says:

I’m putting my money on a dusty shade of navy/indigo or maybe even lavender or blush. Whatever it is, I have a feeling it will be something desaturated and quite a dramatic change from the last few years. I’ve been seeing these delicate, muted colors popping up already, and I can only imagine the geniuses at Pantone have seen it too.
    Can’t wait to see what’s named!!

16. I’d love to see purple, preferably a medium or light shade. Give me something I can use that doesn’t look like a little girl’s room! :)

17. I live in Norway, and it was announced that blue-greens would be the colour of 2014 :)

18. Erika says:

moss green?

19. Ginny says:

I’m thinking it’ll be darker shade of blue, but a bright dark!