Hardwood v. Lookalike Tile

July 9, 2013

Question friends, what do you think of all the wood lookalike tile that’s available to homeowners now? As much as I adore and I mean adore true hardwood, I’m drawn to the idea of a lookalike tile products that are now available from several sources.

Lookalike wood tile caught my eye last year in a restaurant in Canada and I thought it was so cool I got down on my knees to caress that floor, no joke. I’ve seen it installed in restaurants in the Bay Area too which makes sense since it looks like reclaimed or hand scraped wood but has the benefit of repelling moisture while maintaining a great look, even with tons of traffic.

wood look porcelain tile

via

Like wood, you can install it in side by side plank formation or get creative with a herringbone pattern.

wood lookalike tile daltile

south cypress wood look tile

sources 1 / 2

dana frieling tile floors

via Make Them Wonder

And have you seen some of the barnwood and shapely options for floors and walls?

wood lookalike tile

source  12

If you’ve ever wanted the warmth of wood in a bathroom but the practicality of tile, this product seems to be just the thing to get the best of both worlds.

ariana floor tile

via

Tile is cold and hard underfoot which is fine by me in summer but in winter not so much, so radiant heat is definitely a consideration (and additional expense). I love the fact that up close it looks pretty amazing, and when grout lines are tight or close to non-existent, the tile looks so much like the real thing.

hardwood lookalike tile floor

The idea of a surface that will take the wear and tear of foot traffic, pets, and kids has a lot of appeal. But there’s always that lingering question of how it will affect resale value and whether the product will stand the test of time.

I’m curious what you think. Is wood lookalike tile fakey faux or modern and fab? Have you installed a wood lookalike porcelain tile in your home? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

151 Responses to “Hardwood v. Lookalike Tile”

1. Elizabeth H says:

I really like it. In places like Arizona where the whole house in tiled, this would work wonderful. May be faux wood look but I think it is modern and fab!

2. Brittany says:

My husband and I have gone back and forth on this. I have seen it in a few houses and while it looks VERY nice, it still has the cold / very hard feeling of tile.

Also, living in Florida we are already on a concrete slab, so in the winter (the days it does get cold), it gets really cold in the house, and with the tile it makes it worse.

I think were going to stick with either a nice laminate or hardwood.

3. Laura M says:

I just put on an addition, I priced both options out. I was surprised how expensive the nice (like in your photos) wood grain tile is. And my installer balked at really tight grout lines, you have to have a perfectly level floor or install a perfectly level subfloor (more$$) I love the tile look, but ultimately decide on hardwood. I live in the Midwest so hardwood floors are practical, not too expensive and desirable for resale

4. Maria says:

I’ve had it in my bathroom for 10 years because I wanted the wood look without the worry of moisture, etc. and it is the best thing ever! It looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Grout and all. I picked a grout that matched the color of the wood tile so it would stand out. I am now planning on doing my entire 1st floor including kitchen, living room, etc. because I don’t want to worry about cleaning it and scratches. I can bleach and not worry. Even debating about radiant floor heating but might not do it due to cost and will do an area rug instead that has built in heating.

5. We are doing “faux-wood” in our bathroom remodel right now and it is pretty much what we based the whole bathroom around! I love it :)

6. KATHYSUE says:

I remember the first time I saw it in person, I thought it was wood and had to bend down and tap on it to realize it was tile. I think it is a great look and very practical. It might be a great expense up front, but it would not have to be replaced or refinished, no scratches either. I like it!

7. Christy says:

Initially I was very drawn to the wood look tile. They are surprisingly authentic looking and come in some wonderful shades of weathered wood, which I love. But the thought that keeps nagging at me is that it’s NOT authentic. It bothers me that it is tile that is made to look like something else. I’m weird that way, I want things to be authentic, REAL, in their original form…etc. Anything else just feels like a cheap copy to me, even if it looks good and isn’t cheap. I too am curious if it will stand the test of time or if it will be “out” in a couple of years.

8. Tracy says:

We have real hardwood on our first floor but just installed faux wood upstairs in our master bath. I really love it. It looks beautiful and is really practical in this application. In general, I’m a fan of real wood where practical, but the faux is a great option. You can see the tile here: http://creativehomebody.com/final-master-bathroom-pics/

9. Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, Kate! I can’t believe you posted about this. This is EXACTLY what my husband and I have been talking about doing throughout most of our downstairs (kitchen, entry, bath). I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not, as we are preparing to sell within a couple of years. I truly admire your taste, so this just confirms our decision!! Yay! ;)

10. Ellen says:

After putting wood flooring in our house about 5 years ago we have come to find out it was a mistake. We have pets and kids and they have destroyed the wood. We were told when we purchased it that it could be refinished….only to find recently that it can not. We have pretty much decided that we are going to rip up the wood and use the wood look tile. It will last with kids and pets and we won’t have to baby it. Although the wood is (well was) beautiful its just to practical long term for our active family.

11. Sheila says:

I can see the practicality for places like bathrooms, kitchens or basements where someone wants a wood look but moisture or other durability issues are a problem.
    But personally, I wouldn’t want it. I don’t mind tile that looks like stone but this is a little too faux for me.

12. It does look gorgeous! My hubby works in the custom kitchen business and they are opening a new showroom. They put the wood look tile throughout and it looks stunning!! It will be so much easier to maintain with lots of traffic coming through.
    I wanted to do it in my bathrooms & kitchen but wasn’t sure how to do it. We want to put real hardwood in the living room and halls but could you do both? How should it meet up?? We just aren’t sure what to do.

13. Melanie says:

My sister installed faux wood tile in their entryway, dining room, kitchen and down the halls. It looks amazing. They have 2 boys and 2 bulldogs so its great for them. I don’t think it looks weird at all. I love it!

14. Susan says:

I like this product, a lot. I’ve seen in it several applications and colorways and it always looks good. I think if you go with traditional planks, the product will have more staying power–the ‘shapely’ tiles, not so much.
    Lately, it seems a conversation is going on everywhere I ‘go’ [read]… “this is timeless, classic and will never look dated”–or, “is this a trend, how soon will this be dated?” Really, everything looks ‘dated’ eventually. Hardwoods are classic but color preferences change. Classic furniture gets freshen with on-trend upholstery. Classic tiles get produced, combined in ‘new’ colors…I think you choose what you love and know that in a few years, you’ll freshen up or replace. That’s what gives life to decorating! Can you image that for the next 25 years, people living in white and marble kitchens will feel no need to reno because their design is “classic”… doubtful :)

15. Carol D says:

I just finished a powder room remodel in a beach theme and used the white-washed look tiles. I LOVE IT! We have a large family, 20+, and it is perfect for the high traffic that room gets.

16. My husband & I are contemplating flooring options right now as well. I think for me, it comes down to where you live & what type of house you have. We live in the Midwest, so we have very cold winters. Also, our house is a 1905 Foursquare. These two things make me strongly lean away from tile / vinyl / laminate look-alikes, and we will most likely go with a hardwood or engineered hardwood flooring. It just seems like the house will benefit from a more authentic look. Overall, I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a wood look for flooring, so do what you think will best suit your climate & house style!

17. msconduct10 says:

Love hearing all the opinions on this. A house we were interested in two house hunts ago had faux bamboo porcelain tile and hardwood and we just loved it. The bamboo-look tiles come in a variety of grey tones, so they look like a stained wood but you can tell it’s a little too perfect to be wood. It’s a very interesting look and what we plan to go with when we remodel our kitchen and replace the floors in our entryway. Sleek and modern without feeling cold. Google “porcelain bamboo tile” to see it.

18. Kathy DeBlasi says:

Although I think ‘Ceramic Hardwood’ tile has it’s place, I think it will go the way of laminate hardwood products – out the door! Anything made to look like something else always goes out of trend the fastest. What about using slate flooring in your mud room or high traffic hallway? A natural durable stone, that is always a classic choice. (The dark charcoal gray color slate, not multi-colored slate of the 70′s.)

19. Brittany says:

I am loving the wood-look tiles. My brother and sister-in-law are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and are using these. I can’t wait to see them in action! We have a powder room I’d like to make over soon and I’ve been eyeing those tiles. They are a bit pricey, but I would be willing to splurge there :)

20. I love the look and it would be perfect in kitchens and bathrooms where water can be a worry!

21. CT says:

I work as a commercial interior designer and it seems like every rep that comes in is adding more and more wood ceramic tile looks to their line to keep up with the growing demand. I find that the ceramic tile is too stiff and cold — it is very visually appealing but doesn’t feel like wood underfoot. I would recommend considering a vinyl wood look plank. This is not your mother’s Pergo, it’s a 1/8″ vinyl good. Armstrong even makes a peel and stick (to each other) floating product that we have used in on-campus apartments for work.

22. I think the inspiration images you provided are great examples of the look done right. I think that if done well, it could be really fabulous!

23. Raquel B. says:

I am so glad you addressed this topic as I too have questions! The wood floors in my kitchen/entry/hall have not worn well at all. The faux wood tile would seem to give me the look I want without the upkeep. I am over the whole traditionalist mentality and “faux” doesn’t really bother me and I am not planning to sell my house so I am the one who has to live with it. Will I walk into my kitchen and wonder why I followed a passing fad that was expensive and I can’t change like wall color? Looking forward to hearing what others think.

24. Marie G says:

We installed it in our basement and now I’m wondering why we didn’t do it in our kitchen/dining area, as well. We were able to get a tile wood look a like the same tone as our wood floor, so it’s seemless. My MIL didn’t believe me when I told her it was tile. :)

We use small spacers. I wished we had either gotten smaller spacers or find a way to use no spacers (not sure how that works with tile). Also, we thought the grout was a perfect match when looking at the color on the box. However we discovered grout dries lighter. So if you want to minimize the grout lines, go darker than you think.

But I love it, and am thinking of doing a herringbone pattern in our master batch. :)

25. Kim says:

My parents just installed it (they live in So. Cal.) and they love it. Two things were important for them in their decision making: they have big dogs, so it has to be durable and they have to be able to maintain the floor easily. The idea of being able to use a steam mop to keep it clean is the most appealing thing to me. I can’t wait to see how it looks!

26. EllieH says:

We’ve used the faux ceramic tile (that’s made of the same stuff as the wood grain) in a laundry room, just to see (and because we wanted to do it ourselves and it seemed fairly easy compared to laying regular tile). That product has worked very well and I don’t think you’d know it wasn’t tile. But, it’s my laundry room so I’m not that sensitive about it. We did do grout lines.

I’ve seen the faux wood in restaurants and it does look fabulous. My contractor turned his nose up a little when I mentioned it – but my money is on it sticking around (so to speak!). I have an all tile house now (real tile) and I have to say I miss the softness of the hardwood for my feet. Not sure you’d get that softness with the new stuff. Maybe try it somewhere smaller like a laundry room before you go “whole hog”?

27. I’ve gotta say, I’ve been pretty impressed with how these tiles have evolved over time – many options look pretty darn close to real wood! Although I prefer real wood in our general living space (living rooms, bedrooms) I do intend to use this tile when we refinish our basement and laundry area, since those areas are more prone to getting moist.

28. Sara says:

I installed ceramic wood tile in a previous home. Kitchen and family room. This was an addition and remodel and it was laid on concrete slab. This was about 8 years ago and at that time price-wise the engineered laminate still looked cheap and actual hardwoods in the kitchen were not in vogue yet. Plus we entertain and I cook a lot. The wipe up of water in the kitchen every ten seconds were not appealing. I live in Texas and found the floor cooler in the summer and had no winter problems at all. We just got used to slippers and still did not find it too cold in bare feet. Plus we had new windows and insulation so even with a couple of serious winter events of snow and ice I never felt like the floor was keeping the house cool. We sold that house in two weeks and I was in it again two years ago and those floors are still there and look great and that house is a rental now.

29. Myra says:

We used wood look tile in the master bedroom, great room/dining area following water damage. I was looking for an excuse to get rid of the carpet and did not want to take care of hardwood. I was not happy with the contractor recommended by our insurance company. The installation could have been better. That said, I love the look and it is so easy to care for. Here is a link for a blog post I did regarding the wood look tile. http://myrabluker.blogspot.com/search/label/Home

30. Kristie says:

I am not a current practicing designer but have my bachelors in design and stopped working to raise 4 kids and I was taught and developed quite an option about things that are trying to be something that they are not. I believe that you can come up with a great design using materials that are true to themselves that being said I LOVE this product. I would however embrace that fact that it is tile and let it we so I love that you know that it is tile but has such warmth with the color and textures this is right up there with stamped concrete. I think that it is modern and fab!

31. Aimee says:

I look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts about this as my husband and I are currently weighing these two options for our home right now.

It seems a no brainer to me- most people wouldn’t ever realize it wasn’t real wood unless they touched it, it has much higher durability and less maintenance, and in some cases it is half the price of wood floors!

I’ve been scouting out local hardware stores and there are some really beautiful options for wood tile, some that even have hand scraped texture!

32. Sebrah says:

I had faux wood porcelain tile installed in my bathroom in January. I love it so much, it’s dreamy to look at and not cold to the touch the way ceramic is. Wouldn’t hesitate to put it elsewhere in my home – especially my kitchen that’s next on the list.
    But for now, back to preparing my hallway parquet for it’s re-sanding/varnishing.. Any tips Kate??!! :)

33. Patty says:

We just installed the wood-look tile in our kitchen, entryway and eat-in area of the kitchen about 500 sq feet and it looks amazing! We replaced 12×12 ceramic tile with 6×24 planks set in a random wood floor style with the 1/16″ grout lines and it looks incredible. I highly recommend it! This past weekend my husband was replacing the dishwasher inlet valve, when he turned the water back on it popped off and flooded the kitchen floor. All I can say is I’m so glad I didn’t put down new hardwood!!! We just cleaned it up with our wet vac and all is well!

34. Elizabeth says:

I work in a hospital and they have started laying the hardwood tile in rooms. I like it in the hospital because it’s warmer (aesthetically) than cold, white tile but I don’t think I would want to see it in my home. I’m sure some of the reason is because I see it for 12 hours and equate it with sickness and death.

35. I like it. I really do. We are moving to one of those tile-only areas and I think it would look amazing… But then I think about faux wood laminate countertops, faux wood car paneling, and wood paneled basements. Yeah, it might look amazing now, but I doubt it will stand the test of time. That said, I love the look of the herringbone pattern you showed above.

36. meg says:

I love hardwood floor, even if it is a look-a-like. ;)

37. Carol says:

Such beautiful option to hardwood. My Dad bought a house with this type of floor. I could never convince him it was tile and not wood. Guess it fooled him! Love your blog!

Oh no Elizabeth, not a good association!

That is exactly why I’m drawn to it too Patty, we have real hardwood in our kitchen and while it looks great, that is the reality – water damage. We once had our dishwasher do the same thing and I went through a dozen bath towels to mop up as quickly as possible but if it had sat any longer, would have ruined the wood.

I agree Kim, it seems so ideal with pets, there’s a relaxation with the product, with wood there’s the worry of scratches over time.
    Thanks for sharing!

Well said Valerie!

Wow Tracy, your bathroom floors are GORGEOUS! Pinning!
    (and thanks for sharing the great contractor contact for Charlotte!)

43. That Moroccan pattern is to die for! I’m also in-love with that herringbone pattern right now, it’s so chic. I think I could go for the faux wood in a kitchen or bathroom where water damage would be a concern, the rest of the house I’m on the fence about. Maybe it’s just the thought of having fake wood that’s hanging me up, I’m not sure. But I would be willing to consider it if the quality felt similar to that of hard wood.

44. Jennifer says:

I have it throughout my entire downstairs and I absolutely love it! The dirtier the grout gets, the better it looks since the darker grout just makes it blend more with the dark wood tile. Wood isn’t an option for us with a new puppy, three boys and a pool. I also like that my open floorplan doesn’t look choppy with more than one flooring. I live in a hot climate so I love the coolness of tile. I would go with radiant heat if I lived someone cooler though. I can’t think of any drawbacks. I suppose if I lived in a historic home it would not feel authentic, but in a new home I don’t see the problem.

45. I guess I’m on the “it’s nice, but it’s not the real thing” team.
    The pros would be durability certainly, but I think I would miss the “patina” that comes with hardwood.
    I also associate tiles with coldness and hardness -great for kitchens and bathrooms but not other rooms.
    I would recommend it for commercial applications however.

46. I am a HUGE fan of this product although I have never used it in my house. I think it is a great alternative, especially for laundry rooms and bathrooms! Oh and to have it throughout the house with radiant heat is just a dream come true!

47. Jen in NM says:

I’m from New England, so I put hardwood in my newly built house in the Southwest. Big mistake! Here in the Southwest, tile is the way to go, but I just don’t like the look of it in a formal living area. This is the perfect compromise. I imagine it’d e good for any house, though, that has kids and pets! Thanks for the sources.

48. Katrina says:

We hard the all original hardwoods in our entire house, but recently while rebuilding our home and adding on an indoor laundry room we decided to go with wood look tile for the space. Our new laundry room also doubles as our entry point to and from the garage and is a little mudroom area and also entry point into our home and exit to our backyard.

We moved back in our home a few weeks ago and I’m so happy we went with tile for that area! So happy, you can see images on my blog of the space.

As for an entire house in wood look tile……I think it would depend on the climate & lots of foot traffic etc.

49. Stephanie says:

We bought a house with this type of tile in the entry and kitchen. I love it in those places, but probably would not use it in others (possible exception: a family room and bathroom) because though it is pretty great-looking, it still lacks some of the warmth of real wood. I also would lay it in a more interesting way; ours is laid in a typical tile pattern and so you are more aware that it is tile. I love the herringbone example in your post, for example, and the minimal grout lines. Bottom line? For places where you want extra durability, it’s a good option, I think.

50. Amanda says:

I plan on installing the wood-look tile in the next house we buy (other than the bedrooms – my husband insists on carpet for bedrooms). Our current house is mostly tile floors and I’ve gotten used to it and like how practical it is. I really do love actual hardwoods, but we have two crazy dogs and are about to have a little one, so I feel like tile is really the way to go! In regards to how cold tile can be – just wear some warm socks!

51. Kat says:

CT above recommended Armstrong’s vinyl wood planks. We’ve had mixed results with this. Because the overlaps are sticky, you can reposition if you make a mistake (although the adhesive is very strong), but it is a bit tricky to keep from getting gaps. It’s a floating floor, so if you want to get rid of the whole thing in the future, it’s easy to pull up. It’s good to use over surfaces that are not level, which we have in our funky old house. It scratches more easily than I thought it would, but I do have a lot of rough boys. You can’t do anything about damage since it can’t be refinished. Theoretically you are supposed to be able to take up damaged planks and replace them, but did I mention the adhesive is very strong? The darker colors especially show up scratches since the underlying material is white. It looks great for months (no one could tell it wasn’t real wood at first, even a building contractor), but then dulls quickly. It was an affordable option for us at the time, but we eventually plan to replace it with real hardwood. We wouldn’t do tile because it would be too cold in our mountain climate. Our slate bathrooms are bad enough.

52. nancy says:

My in-laws did the ceramic tile wood tiles in a pickled look some years ago. They had the 2 boys, several dogs running around, firewood dropped in front of 2 fireplaces and they love it. It is grouted very close together. I know they would have enjoyed the warm radiant floors in the bedrooms and bathrooms but I never heard it until later. I did Armstrong Laminate 12mm, I think it was exotic walnut. This floor did not hold up well and at this was just me (middle-aged woman) and one small dog and one cat. I had to keep several wood shades of brown crayons for chip repairs. Very annoying.

53. Lisa E says:

I fell in love with this product several years ago when I first laid my eyes upon it. When we bought our current home 2.5 years ago, it was in the back of my mind to use it eventually. I have a question, however. My husband isn’t a fan of painted furniture or cabinetry, unfortunately. Therefore there will be no painted cabinetry in my kitchen’s future. Would this product be too much “wood” with stained cabinetry?

54. Wendy B says:

I love the look of it for a room that needs the practicality of it, like a bathroom or a mudroom. I don’t think I would love it as much in the main area of my home, but the radiant heat would probably make a big difference in swaying my opinion AND if there were no grout lines to try and keep clean.

55. Jenna says:

I currently have 38 boxes of “wood” tile in my basement, waiting to be installed! Hardwood floors aren’t very practical in a basement, so wood tile seemed to be just the ticket. I can’t wait to see how they turn out – I think it’s going to look amazing!

56. kristin says:

I see the benefits in certain rooms and if alot of pets. Yet, I still think going from the Faux Hardwood tile to real wood would be odd. I did see tile wood once in person. I thought it was wood, then realized it was tile and thought “interesting but odd”. So I can’t quite get with the whole idea. I think it would look somewhat “faddish” and also cause some concern for resale. We lived in a home with hardwood in every room but the master bath. The wood floors in my girls bathrooms were never an issue. The house was 12 years old at purchase and the baths had not one issue. Now the kitchen/LR floors were bad–that was due to windows around the perimeter, poly pealing up–hmm? (The cherry cabinets were a mess on the side that faced the sun also.) I have to say WOOD floors are TIMELESS and never a question afterward if you made the right choice!

57. Stacey says:

My husband just installed the wood look alike tile in our hall bathroom, and I love it! It’s gorgeous. We plan to install it in our master bathroom as well…and thinking about putting it in the kitchen too.

58. Austin says:

MODERN AND FAB!! I used a similar tile in my hall bathroom and honestly…I wish I had it throughout the house. Its substantial, sturdy and so pretty. I get so many compliments. I love my real hardwood floors, don’t get me wrong, but once you add in the scratches from my two dogs and the CONSTANT upkeep to keep them shiny and pretty, my tile outshines them by a mile. Plus, I used a weathered gray look (nothing like my chocolately-mahogony wood floors), so the looks are different and they compliment (rather than compete with) each other. It can be so tastefully done and I fully expect it to be a “selling point” rather than a “deterrent” when we go to sell our house. Just my opinion, of course! :)

59. I think real wood is the way to go if you have the means, but when questions like kids, pets, pricing, and others come up faux tiles can make a home look nice and can be very practical.

60. Chaney says:

Wow, these look fabulous!! I’m so impressed at how much they look like wood. My only issue would be the “feel” of it (as some others have noted) since it is tile. In commercial spaces, bathrooms and even kitchens, I’m sure it’s great, because you expect tile/ceramic feel in those places, but throughout a house? I’m not sure I’d be happy walking barefoot on it all the time!

61. Mary says:

I like hardwood tile. It seems like a very practical solution for some spaces. But it looks bad next to real wood floors. Wood floors butted up next to it seems to bring out the “faux” aspect of it.

Good point Mary!

Great to know Austin, thanks!!

64. jennifer says:

I’ve been struggling with this very question as I want to replace carpeting in my living room. I’m leaning towards hardwood, but faux hardwood tile might be beautiful in our sun room. I’ve appreciated this post and all the comments. Thanks!

65. Lynn says:

We purchased a home in South Florida that was an “as is” home. We are planning on gutting the kitchen, & both baths. Plus it has beautiful (insert sarcasm) white ceramic tile dated from the 80′s. We have already decided to go with this look. Living in Florida with a pool, dogs, and remodeling foot traffic all equal perfect arguments for this look! We will be here for a long time and I don’t see a problem at all with the longevity of this product! Now if we could just get the project started!

66. Mallory S says:

I love the authenticity, warmth and resale value of real hardwoods. There just is something you can’t fake. But after having dealt with both a broken valve in the kitchen and a very leaky washer, I think the look-a-like tile is definitely something to be considered in any areas where water and/or moisture may be a factor. You never know when you’re going to come home to an inch of water in your kitchen. For any other areas of the house, I’d go with the real wood.

67. jana says:

I re-did my powder room floor in “wood” tiles. It looks beautiful. I’m not usually into faux anything but I convinced myself that I wasn’t trying to fool anyone, just install a tile floor that was an homage to hardwood. Haha, whatever, I have to say the tile is much nicer, richer looking than a laminate.
    I’ve had guests, in astonishment, get down on their knees to give it a good feel too.

68. Cindy says:

We just installed 1100 square feet of this “tile” wood for the entire downstairs of our house. We ABSOLTELY love it! It has a woodgrain texture to it. We went with the dark grout that matches the wood. When we tell people it is tile, they literally bend down and touch it! We live 1 hr. East of San Franscisco and it is great for the summers and the traffic of having a pool. It is super easy to clean. We just went through our first winter with it and it didn’t make the house any colder in my opinion. I always wear socks in the winter anyway. It also made the rainy days a breeze with the mud and water being tracked in. Our friends got hardwood installed the same time my husband was installing our tile and they are constantly worried something is going to scratch the floor. They don’t allow high heels past the front door. Personally I don’t want a house where I can’t enjoy company stopping by without policing what kind of shoes they are wearing. I can send you pictures of ours if you would like. We paid $2.56/sq foot for the tile plus the morter and grout at Home Depot. We used a 10% off Lowe’s coupon (Home depot accepts them) and our total was around $3500 for 1200 sq ft (we bought extra). My husband installed it himself over the course of 3 months. We had 1/16 grout lines and it is beautiful.

69. Liz says:

I like it! Doesn’t work for us in Iowa (where what tile we DO have, even with a cork underlay I was guaranteed would keep the tile room temp…is FREEZING). But especially with very little grout, the end effect is awesome! I can’t use it on floors, but I love the idea of it as a backsplash!

70. Cindy says:

One more thing….about the grout. We cound never find a grout that dried as dark as we wanted, so before we sealed it, I got some wood stain and put it in a syringe and went down each and every grout line to stain the grout. It turned out perfect! There was something about our water that wasn’t allowing the grout to dry the true color. It wasn’t a hard job in staining the grout, just long because we had so much (1100 sq. ft.). I would do it again in a hot second!

71. I have seen it in person and it’s really stunning, I think that just like any other new product you have to think carefully about whether it fits with your goals and use it judiciously. I LOVE the idea of putting it in hospitals in place of industrial looking linoleum or plain tiles, but then of course it will be come associated with “hospital floor” and be less appealing in the home.

I feel like it runs the risk of being fakey-fake and potentially cheesy if you did a whole house or whole floor of a house, but for a kitchen or bathroom it’s genius. In my last home we replaced low quality carpet with high quality stone-look ceramic tile. It was a single story condo and we had already put dark wood laminate in the bedrooms so we did the entire public space in cream travertine-style tile but picked a coordinating warmer brown for the kitchen and bathroom. If the wood-look had been available at the time I’m sure we would have strongly considered it!

A friend recently re-did his bathroom with the wood-look tile in the shower enclosure and it makes it look like a Scandinavian sauna room. I love the comment about using the white-washed look for a beachy feel in a bathroom too.

72. JW says:

We had ceramic tile in our entry way and hall while our kids were small and it was wonderful. Easy to clean and no worries about mud or dampness or scratches. However, when the kids were grown and we decided we wanted hardwood, tearing up the tile was a nightmare. The hammers and chisels needed to crack and pull up the tile made a mess of walls and baseboards, and took days of non-stop pounding and dust. So, go for tile, but only if you’re going to keep it for the long haul.

73. Vel says:

Hi KAte! I am floor-hunting too for my new kitchen, and the only reason I passed up the ceramic look-alikes were the fact that it was colder on the feet! Plus of course the danger of it breaking if you drop of something heavy on it, other than that, it looks great, pretty affordable and great for high traffic! Good luck!

74. Living in an apartment style condominium as we do, our flooring options are limited. Hardwood floors tend to transmit noise more than tile and are, as a result, hard to get approval for. Additionally, we are not thrilled with the existing baseboard heaters as they must be installed under windows, making for inefficient heating in our long living/dining/kitchen space. These tiles – together with radiant heat – seem to offer a good solution to all of these challenges.

75. Cindy says:

Awesome, awesome comments, everyone. Thanks to all who have it and are weighing in. I have two active boys and a large dog, and we live in Texas, and I love the look of hardwood. Maybe this is the answer to all my problems in life?!

Cindy that was an ingenious solution for your grout!
    I’m so SO grateful to all of you for your insight, this is so valuable in making the decision since there is an adjacent living room too.

77. Jenny says:

I love the herringbone pattern!! Such an interesting question about wood vs. wood tile. I love the look of the wood tile, and I think if wood wasn’t an option, I would consider the tile. However, I love it for bathrooms and laundry rooms – or maybe even a basement. I think my only sticking point is the sound of tile when you walk on it, and the fact that it’s cold vs. wood. But, this stuff definitely puts up a good argument, and I do love the look.

78. I’ve seen some of this recently that was surprisingly nice! I’d be curious to see a cost comparison of the “wood” tile (+radiant heat because that’s a requirement for me) vs. real wood vs. other wood products or even cork.

79. I actually really like the ideal of the look-alike tile. Sometimes I wonder if hardwood floors will ever go out of style (I feel like they did when carpets were big at one point).
    I think hardwoods (especially original) add value to a home, but eventually that may not always be the case. I may try it out with a small room like a bathroom or in the basement and see how we like it!

80. I like the look of look alike tile, but I’d miss the ‘warmth’ of real wood. (And side note: next time you’re in Canada, you need to stop by ;) ) I think its a great product to use in entryways, mudrooms, wet areas… rooms where you would typically use tile. But using it en masse, say over a whole floor instead of hardwood, doesn’t feel like it would be as comfortable as hardwood or even laminate. I have tile in the kitchen and its not comfortable to stand on over long periods of time. I think this tile – or any tile – is best used for transition spaces or rooms where you won’t be standing a significant amount of time. Just my 2 cents!

81. Joyce says:

My husband installed Armstrong Alterna vinyl tile in our living room entrance, kitchen, laundry which is in our kitchen, and the entrance of our family April this year. We love it! It looks like tile, it is warm on the feet, comfortable to stand on, our dishes don’t break when dropped, easy to clean. We reviewed online comments from users and Consumer Reports sold us on this quality flooring product if anyone is interested. Just another option to check out.

82. Noni says:

Well if you ever do tile in SLC hire my husband, he is the best! He will get your floors and glass tile super flat!! If you want proof/pictures, let me know!

83. I’m not usually a fan of products that are made the look like the real thing, but I can see the practicality of tiles for bathrooms, entries or other areas where you don’t necessarily want real wood. My preference is to lay it in a herring bone pattern, rather than trying to copy hardwood in the plank pattern.

84. Rachel says:

I LOVE it!!! If you have a highly recommended professional install it, then I think it’s perfect!!

85. Danielle says:

We installed barn wood ceramic tiles in our home about three years ago. I chose these because of many of the reasons you suggested. Easy maintenance, great with kids and pets, great for our farm life with moisture and whatever else they drag in. Everyone who sees it thinks it is hardwood and they ALWAYS get down and feel it before they believe me. We matched the grout to the vintage wood and the seams disappear. I love everything about them. They are timeless and classic and I have to say I think they will improve resale value in any home. I would say to go with a lighter wood or a variegated pattern. Otherwise, you will constantly see dust in them and be annoyed. My final vote….DO IT! You won’t regret it.

86. Megan says:

I love the idea of faux wood tile but you might regret it later. It’s faux after all. I recently got laminate floors which are beautiful and cheap but I wish I’d splurged for the real thing.

Since you showed a like for herringbone, you might consider a gray herringbone tile instead. I saw this number on Pinterest today http://masontileandmarble.com.net-at-hand.com/bathroom-floor-2 Gorgeous!!

87. Sherry says:

We had this tile in our beach house and loved it! Ten years after building the home the tile still looked like new. Also, so easy to care for. We sold that home and bought a home in Va that had hardwood floors and I hated all the work to keep them looking nice. We had scratches and gouges in the hardwood that you don’t have to worry about with tile. The cost up front is more but they will never need refinishing and will last forever.

88. Jay says:

We just finished remodelling our main floor — kitchen, living room, bath, office with a Dura plank product and we LOVE this! Hardwood was not practical with kids and a dog, plus I am not a fan of laminate flooring. Not to mention that our dishwasher just had a leaky hose and I am so glad our new flooring is water tight! Laminate would have been destroyed. I live in Canada also and according to all the flooring companies, this is being used a lot now.
    Good luck!

89. Jeanne says:

We tiled our hallway in a dark ceramic scraped wood lookalike and it’s beautiful. Everyone thinks it’s real wood and it’s extremely durable just like a tile is. I can’t speak to resale value, but I’m in an area where that wouldn’t make or break a sale. We plan on tiling other rooms with it, and I’m looking to use other styles. The best part, it’s SO easy to keep clean. Highly recommended.

90. Lisa says:

Actually the first question one should ask is…………….is it green? when I remove it from my floors in five / ten years time how is it disposed of, can it be recycled or is landfill? is it far better to go faux and save a few tree’s my children’s children will appreciate? I know everyone does not like to address this and it is a bit of a kill joy but these question have to be asked now if we want a future for our children.

91. AP says:

We tiled our kitchen and laundry room with ashy brown faux wood last year and it has held up great. We have real honey-colored hard wood throughout the rest of the house, but the kitchen is separated by a white tiled entry way so the two “woods” don’t run into each other. http://nailpolishandpaint.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/kitchen-renovation-finished/

92. Maggie Budiono says:

thanks so much Kate !! I love the practicality of tile, and the prices of wood floor here is unbelievable. Hope i can install that in my new house :)
    with love from Indonesia

93. Jolien says:

We have an older house and most floors came with hard-wood which I love. Still, when rebuilding I for sure wanted a tile floor in the kitchen for cleaning reasons. Tiles are easy to clean, yes. In summer, with 30-40C outside, I like the cold feel. We did immediately install radiant heating which is a must in my opinion. I doubt it is such and extra cost, because we did not put up any radiators on the walls. Now I can walk around the house barefoot summer & winter.

As for the fake-wood tiles, due to having the “real thing”, I decided against it. I’ve seen those tiles, considered them, but in the end I think the tiles should stay what they are. The feel of real hardwood is different and you can never get that with tiles I think. Plus, there are SO many pretty options in “regular” tiling, we eventually decided on a light, 60*60cm tile (Ragno Jazz) and I still love the look of it. (:

I also wonder how much of a hype this wood-tile trend is, is it something that in 20 years will be something only grannies have?

94. Jessica says:

I think it would look great if it’s done well and especially with the thin grout lines, like you said. We’ve considered putting it in our front entry, but I wonder how it would look next to real hardwood in the rest of your home? If you need to replace all of the floors in the home you are buying, would you put hardwood in the rooms next to the ones with the ‘hardwood’ tiles? Just in a very different ‘finish’ so they wouldn’t compete? How would that work? I’d love some suggestions Kate. :)

95. Griffin says:

While I don’t like the idea of laminate that looks like wood, I DO like the idea of tile that looks like wood, particularly in bathrooms and kitchens, it offers more texture and feels a bit more authentic than laminate. It would definitely wear better in wet environments than real wood, but I am not sure I could embrace it in other living spaces, like you said it can be a bit cold and hard underfoot.

96. Flamingo says:

I’ve never like the laminate flooring.. the one with the natural wood, it makes the place look more classy and elegant. I think the laminate flooring has and easier maintenance.. bu still :)

97. Christine S says:

What a great post!! A few months ago at a decorator’s show house I first saw the faux wood tile in a breakfast room, in a dark brown/charcoal gray plank. This was right up against real hard wood in a dark walnut stain and although the look was a bit different, it all blended and was gorgeous.

We are in the early stages of an addition and will be replacing the flooring (old, messy looking slate) in the front hall and installing new floors in the enlarged kitchen and new breakfast room.

My dilemma is which color of faux wood tile to choose… the rest of our house has hardwood throughout, in a honey-pine stain, and that is not going to change (I would prefer the darker walnut). The wood-look tile will be smack up against the real wood in several areas so I really need to get this one right. Any pointers? if anyone wants to email me directly I’d appreciate some pointers
    [email protected]

98. Wendy says:

I live in a century home (wonky floors) and run a private home daycare (lots of traffic, oozing children and toys toys toys). My entire house is done in the faux wood and I love it. As far as resale value, well there’s nothing like the real thing but, I do believe people are starting to embrace the idea AND they now make it look soooo good.

99. Liz says:

Don’t forget about vinyl planks! We had them installed a few months ago and absolutely love it! No grout lines, waterproof, stands up to kids, pets, and notoriously shifty foundations in our area. We chose one that had distressing so you can feel the roughness and it doesn’t get cold like tile. Another great option for people on a budget!