Weekend Reading

May 17, 2013

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the sweet compliments on yesterday’s dresser makeover post!  What are you up to this weekend?  We’re celebrating an aunt’s 90th birthday and more than anything I want to catch up on some books I’ve been meaning to finish. I have a few sitting on the nightstand, but what would you recommend for a good summer read?

book letters

And a few other links I enjoyed this week:

50 designer tips for choosing a sofa

Oooh I want one: a mason jar coffee brewer

Have you seen GeoGuessr?  You have five attempts to guess where you are in the world based on Google map images and get points based on how close you get. My high score was 8,561 after three tries and a lucky guess. Turning the image helps.

This lip sync battle on Jimmy Fallon is hilarious (via Iowa Girl Eats)

Which summer movie are you looking forward to? For me it’s a toss up between Star Trek and The Lone Ranger.

I had no idea there were this many Sherlock Holmes.

Here’s a gorgeous (and educational) print on pairing food & wine.

I’m taking notes for the future on this stunning Sonoma vineyard wedding.

A reflection on surviving divorce and the rainbow after the storm.

A not to miss photo dress up series for girls.

Hexagons are so hot in design right now. Here’s a fascinating look at the Honeycomb Conjecture and why bees create this efficient and elegant shape in their hives.

Have a fab weekend!

top image + book letters via Design Milk

28 Responses to “Weekend Reading”

1. meg says:

That bookcase is awesome!
    So unique!

2. Chris says:

You had me at Jimmy Fallon. HI-larious! Have a great weekend, friend!

3. I got 9835 in that game!! I must be a natural!

4. Lynne says:

My summer read recommendations would be Gone Girl, The Language of Flowers and Let’s Pretend This Never Happened.

The dresser from yesterdays post is fantastic!

5. Mary Gross says:

The Little Way of Ruthie Leming by Rod Dreher. Best book I’ve read in 20 years!

6. Ms. Lizzy says:

Wish You Well by David Baldacci. Sweet book. Brought me to tears, and didn’t want it to end. ;)

7. Katrina says:

If you have never read The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, it’s a must! For some non-fiction reads, these are my favorites, that I reread periodically: The Lady and the Panda by Vicki Croke and Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay. You would really like the latter. Have a great weekend!

8. GAH! That wedding is so beautiful! I may have mentioned my bro works at Jacuzzi, and his girlfriend’s mom is the GM. Sadly, even with a fam discount, we couldn’t afford the venue. Pricing begins at $15K, BEFORE food and wine!

Ack Brittany! Crazy expensive! Ah well, a gal can dream *sigh*

10. Cathy says:

Try any of the Kate Morton books. Great author, great reads. I think my favorite is “The Forgotten Garden”. Not a small book but very good.
    I have also read “Gone Girl” but I was able to figure it out right away; “The Language of Flowers” is good but I will have to stick by Kate Morton.
    Cathy

11. It has been a super stressful week (end of the semester at the uni where I teach), and I’ve been so scattered I’ve started a different book each night. Now to pick which one to finish for now. I usually go to an Agatha Christie or similar mystery when I’m this stressed. Off to read! Have a great weekend.

12. Melanie says:

Right now I’m re-reading The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory. She can be hard to like (Gregory) because her heroines can be very bad people — not standard Hollywood bad, but…bad. They just do distasteful things at times. But I have to tell you…from a historical perspective, and from the perspective of really knowing a character’s personality, you can NOT beat Gregory.

I definitely recommend this read, it really shows the main character’s motives and reasoning and displays a fascinating point in history.

13. Jackie says:

Love the article on Honeycomb Conjecture!

Just saw Star Trek tonight with my hubby…it was great!!

14. Tracey says:

I love books- I love my kindle- and I love to share titles!! I’ve already downloaded several from previous comments. Thank you! My suggestions include; The Storyteller by Jodi Piccoult, Lost Wife, Wife 22, Defending Jacob, Still Alice, Left Neglected, and blood bones and butter. This is a mix of historical fiction, realistic fiction and memoirs. Enjoy!! And thank you for the recommendations from your other readers.

15. Elena says:

I am a beekeeper so to go with your article about honeycomb shapes, I am reading Telling the Bees.

16. Nicholle C. says:

I had no idea there were so many Sherlocks, but your list of Sherlock is missing the most charismatic of ALL Sherlocks – Benedict Cumberbatch!! *LOL*

17. Love the GeoGuesser – haven’t seen that before – so fun!

18. Melanie says:

Kate, your post was so helpful to me in an unexpected way this weekend! I’m a pre-algebra teacher and am preparing this next week to teach about “tessellations” – tiling of geometric shapes with no gaps. We study which shapes work and which don’t – how great to have that beehive example!!! I’m having them design their own, and making a little art project out of it. Let me know if you want to see some :) Thanks for sharing all kinds of stuff with us!!

19. Kathryn says:

“Ordinary Grace”, by William Kent Kruger. Powerful, powerful, powerful book. Wonderful use of the English language.

Hi Nicholle, scroll down, you’ll see two modern Sherlocks in the article but you’re right he’s not in the slide show!

Fantastic Melanie, and that is unexpected!
    I would love to see pics of the projects, yes if you have time, please send some to me!

22. Alex says:

How awesome is that “Book” case!!!

23. Susan says:

We just saw Star Trek last night and loved it!

24. Jenny says:

I loved that dress-up post! So creative.

25. Susan says:

To me summer reading is light reading: Katie Fforde (you’ll love her…British chick lit and most of them involved remodeling or decorating), Mary Kay Andrews (again, decorating and thrifting), Donna Andrews (start with Murder with Peacocks…southern and family is a hoot).

26. Olivia says:

I just finished Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker and LOVED it. I suggest it for a great summer read!

27. Carmel says:

We saw Star Trek this weekend but I have a feeling the Lone Ranger may top it – it’s hard to beat Johnny Depp. Thanks for the mention!