Home Tour (Finally!)

May 23, 2013

This post is way overdue, I’ve been meaning to get to it for like ever but at last the time has come. This blog has been a perpetual home tour for over four years as we’ve improved all the spaces over time. I promised a home tour last year and finally got around to assembling some pictures together in a slideshow.

I never consider my house “finished” more like styled and comfortable and lovely for today, but ready for changes whenever the mood strikes. And y’all know I’m big on decorating during the holidays. So I rounded up a bunch of images, some you’ve seen, others you haven’t.

[slideshow id=3]

I’m a little bit coastal, a hint modern, but a traditional girl at heart. I like clean lines, the contrast of dark wood and white together, neutral paint on the walls with gray undertones, classic furnishings, comfort, sculptural colored glass, elegant mirrors, natural light, pearlescent finishes, and subtle geometric textiles. I decorate with Target pillows on my fancy tufted sofa. I thrift a lot. If something is not the color I want it to be, chances are I’ll paint it white. Or gray. I collect white ceramics. I love branches and botanical motifs. And me and the color blue, we got a thing going on.

I know what I want to see when I walk through my front door. What feels like home. Not everything is DIY, but if I can’t find what I’m looking for, I’ll buy retail and tweak it so it suits me. This is a home we’ve built ourselves from many years of hard work and plenty of elbow grease. A house that echoes our memories and is filled with our personal touches.

I don’t decorate to impress friends or to be featured in magazines. It’s happened to me and I am blessed because of it, but the truth is I decorate with what looks beautiful in my eyes and what is meaningful to me. From the art on the walls to the flower clippings from my yard.

I think we all have that power to make our homes a reflection of who we are. It takes time. Years even. It’s a slow process and it should be. Decorating your home should not be rushed. It’s a process that requires one small step at a time, one room at a time, but when complete, leaves you feeling like the saying goes, “There’s no place like home”.

Enjoy the slideshow!

*For those having trouble seeing the slideshow, you can see all the pictures here.

.Enjoy

150 Responses to “Home Tour (Finally!)”

1. Ann says:

What wall tile was used in the upstairs bathroom? I really like it. Also, what kind of camera do you have that takes those beautiful pictures?

2. WOW, WOW, WOW. You have a gorgeous home. I love the clean lines and the bright colours. Just gorgeous :)

3. Satty says:

I read a lot of blogs, but it is rare that I leave a comment. But I had to say that your house is absolutely gorgeous. Every single room! Wow!

4. Anu says:

Hi,
    beautiful home! where did you buy the dolhouse furniture from ?

5. Beth says:

Just gorgeous. Congratulations on finishing a whole lot of decorating and work; love the cheery color scheme.

6. I really like the natural wood pieces you have sprinkled throughout, particularly the tall wood cabinet in the living room. Have you posted on it before? Would love see a full shot of it.

7. Christine says:

Beautiful, beautiful!

8. Jenny says:

So so beautiful! You have created a gorgeous space. Question: what paint color is the gray half bath with the bellesol type mirror and wainscoting? I have a very similar bathroom and looking to change the color gray it is currently painted to something more like I see in that picture. Love it!

9. lyn moon says:

What a fantastic job you have done. I love, love, love the blues and greens. It looks so clean and fresh.

10. Thanks for the tour! EVERY ROOM looks great. I’m in love w/your master bathroom ….. “Calgon take me away” [remember that commercial? :)]

11. debbie says:

Gorgeous – gorgeous – gorgeous every single square inch – inside and out. You have done a beautiful job and made a wonderful home for your husband and children. I am sure they love everything you do for them.

12. Vera says:

Wow! Your home is absolutely stunning!!! The exterior reminds me of something you would see in Italy and your taste is impeccable!!! Awesome job.

Vera

13. Re says:

Thank you for sharing your home… so, so, pretty. The hardwood floors are beautiful throughout the home. How do you clean/care for them? Anything in particular you use? We just had our hardwood floors refinished and I’m wondering how other people care for their floors.

14. Dawn says:

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

15. Lin says:

One word……Fantastic!

16. Marie says:

Love your house Kate. You’re an inspiration!

Hi Re, to clean our wood I use a basic Swiffer during the week. Every other week I clean with a simple vinegar + water solution, or rotate a hardwood floor cleaner.

Hi Ann, I use a Nikon D90 DSLR, I talk more about the kinds of lenses I use in the About page. The tile on the wall was featured in this post:

19. Alissa says:

Ms. Kate,

Well said and good for you! I enjoyed the pics of your beaYOUtiful home, Thank you for sharing, you inspire me.

20. Lisa says:

Kate, I adore your home! It has inspired me to lighten up our home. Really looking forward to incorporating many of your ideas. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous taste. Many blessings to you and your family!

21. Rachel says:

Love it…would you come do some work on my house?? :)

22. Lea says:

Beautiful home! Could you share where you got your gold table and x benches from in your master? I also love the bench in your daughters room! Beautiful!!

23. Gorgeous! Worth the wait. Hx

24. Ayesha! says:

Hi Kate,

I’ve been following your blog for quite sometime and love it! Thanks for lots of inspirations for my own place! I’m not able to see the slideshow on any browser or machine, any other way to take a peek?

25. Andrea says:

Thank you for opening up your home to us – it’s breathtaking! I enjoy your blog so much and much of that is because we have a very similar aesthetic!! Our home has the same ‘feeling’ as yours, but of course, it is still quite different with my own personal slant. Thank you for inspiring us with your amazing taste and helpful DIY projects!

26. Steph. says:

It’s perfection. Remind us again why you went to Law School? ;) I do have a question, though….I am wondering if you are a bit like Martha Stewart, whom I have read does not need much sleep at all? I honestly don’t know how you manage to get all this accomplished plus the blog and BHG, mother to young children, wife, etc! PS my favorite space is the concrete porch space outside the master bedroom…I would be out there all the time reading! :)

No regrets going to law school Steph, it taught me so much that I still use today, editorial writing and contract negotiation being two big ones! Yes I sleep 8 hours, I get most of my writing done with kids at school until 2:30 and work on project or take photographs in the afternoon when they’re home. A calendar synched to my smart phone helps too, it keeps me sane!

28. Mia says:

Such an amazing style. One, because it is magazine worthy, and two, because it is also so welcoming and cozy. Tough to capture both and you do it perfectly; you are the “baby bear” of décor!
    (where did you get the round, silver mirror in the LR?)

29. Robin says:

Your blog name suits your style perfectly! Truly SENSATIONAL! You have done amazing work.

30. Genny says:

I cannot tell you how much I adore your home! The colors you used in each room are just stunning. My husband and I just bought a house which needs cosmetic work and we are so inspired by your work. I have to ask… What are the names of the color paints you used? I love the white trim you used in the entry way, the tan color of the wall and the grey of the bedroom and family room. Thank you!

31. Jeanne W. says:

Awww I still can’t see the slide show – there’s just a big blank space. Is there any other way to see it?

Jeanne, there’s a link to all the images at the end of the post.

33. erica says:

Kate, it’s absolutely beautiful and serene. I just love your blog! I have a request: a floorplan would be really nice to see, to help orient the space for us readers. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

34. Jennifer says:

Your home is beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration!

35. It’s so nice to see all the photos of your lovely home. You’ve definitely put much work and care into it. I especially enjoyed all the details of your outdoor spaces.

36. Danielle Mc says:

Of course I love the home tour, really why would I not love it! Its AMAZING! I am wondering, how long have you lived in this home? How long does it take to go from home that needs some TLC to this amazing-ness? I tend to get frustrated because it seems so slow to go one room at a time and by the time I get our current house mostly decorated and to its potential it will be time to move again, ugh.

Thanks Mia! Here is the source to the round mirror:

All of the paint colors in our home can be found by clicking on the sidebar graphic Genny. :)

39. Feral Turtle says:

Thanks for an amazing tour. Your home is truly gorgeous!

40. Jessica says:

What is the entry paint color? What is the stair wall color? And what is the wall color above fireplace?
    Love it!

41. Lauren says:

Absolutely gorgeous home, inside and out! I have followed this blog for awhile and love everything you do. I was wondering if you coud tell me where your kitchen island lights are from? So pretty!!

42. ashley says:

your home is absolutely beautiful and i loved reading how it’s all come together. it’s clear you’ve put so much love into creating a space that reflects you and your family. bravo!

43. Wow, every single one of these pictures looks like it comes straight out of a magazine! You are so talented. I especially notice how you have a consistent palette throughout your home that makes every room flow. I love the coastal, relaxed vibe. Congrats!

44. Victoria says:

I have loved your style since I discovered your blog some time ago. We have very similar tastes, although I don’t really have a DIY bone in my body. However, you have inspired me to inspire my DIY husband to help me see the vision of some of those DIY projects! Ha! And I help or try to help! But I’m better off playing my piano and singing or working in the garden and kitchen than working with tools and paint. I’m really impatient in that department and hubby is an expert with a perfectionist tendency instead of slap it together like me. ;) Thank you for sharing your home and wonderful talent with us. I really appreciate the time and effort it takes to share this part of your life on a blog, and I pray your reap even more fun rewards for sharing it all with us.

45. Victoria says:

Beautiful pictures and a beautiful home! I love your duvet cover, where did you get it from? I’ve been searching for a neutral one that isn’t white for forever and adore yours.

46. Kaci says:

Your home is beautiful! These photos seriously make me want to work even faster on making our home our own. Thank you for sharing your talent with us!

47. Lisa says:

What a beautiful home. I love all your colors, they are my favorites as well. I especially love the color of the French doors in the living room. I didn’t see where you discussed that particular color. Do you remember what it is? It is beautiful and really enhances the wall color. Thanks for all the sharing you do.

48. Nalini says:

Oh. My. God. Your home is beautiful!

49. I’m a little slow on the go in reading this post, but I just had to say… your home looks incredible, Kate! Bravo at making it your own and really implementing a beautiful, cohesive, comfortable style. It’s screams “Kate!” : )