Lavender + Blue Girl’s Room

March 17, 2013

Hey everybody, I finally finished up my nine year old daughter’s room – a makeover I started back in October of last year. Over the past few months I’ve worked my way around the room, adding different elements here and there. You may recognize some of the projects I’ve posted about in the past.

My daughter just turned nine and is crazy about the combination of purple and blue – predictable for that age but sweet nevertheless, so I used those two colors throughout to make sure she really loved the space and would have fond memories of it when she’s all grown up.

lavender and blue girls room

As you can see we did go ahead with the bunk beds I asked you all about that she wanted for her ninth birthday. I’ll share some thoughts on this particular bed set and how we’ve adjusted to bunks in a follow up post.

girls room bunk beds

The nightstand we’ve had for years, I found it at a garage sale for $3 many years ago, it still fit the space and provided a perch for a lamp to read by at night. Even though the palette is very young and feminine, I do like that most of the accessories and fabrics are sophisticated enough to last for many years as she grows older.

nightstand and lamp

flowers on nightstand

There’s a little bench under the window I found years ago at a thrift store and reupholstered in a lavender geometric. The flower pillow was a DIY project.

window panels and bench

lavender flower pillow

Up on the second story of her bunk beds are a series of framed leopard print fabrics – my animal loving daughter’s favorite critters are cheetahs and leopards and another one of her requests was to use that pattern in her room so this was what I came up with – it’s a pattern I designed several months ago.

framed leopard print

I also used my leopard print to make her some cotton pillowcases in a pale blue and gray – the fabric will be part of my children’s collection available this summer in various colorways. The purple and blue medallion quilts I bought last year, they were the jumping off point when it came to a color palette for the space and I love their reversible pattern from large scale to small scale repeat.

blue and lavender linens

You’ll recognize the dresser and mirror from a that makeover last month.

dresser and bunk beds

pb mirror

I removed her closet doors years ago and I’ve always used curtains instead for a softer look. The panels used to be velvet in her old pink and green room but I replaced them with a lavender geometric print.

curtains on closet

A few rolls of wrapping paper add the cherry blossom pattern to the back of her closet where we hang her dresses and her dollhouse. Matt built that dollhouse for our oldest daughter 16 years ago – too bad there were no DIY blogs around back then, it would have made a great post!

wrapping paper in closet

Next to the closet are those bracket bookshelves I built two years ago and below the little cabinet I found at a thrift store and painted white.

bookshelves and cabinet

Up above is a new chandelier I found at Lowes in bronze but spray painted it so that it would better suit the space, I absolutely love its shape!

blue orb chandelier

On the wall opposite her bunk beds she has a desk that used to be green but I repainted it in an aqua blue color.

girls blue desk

aqua desk girls room

As I was snapping pictures of her room I caught this one of her looking in the mirror. My oh my how time does fly – she’s six months in the framed picture (which was yesterday in my mind) and nine years old in the reflection. She has her own dreams and ideas and it’s amazing to watch her grow and change. *sniffle sigh*

nine years and six months

So glad it’s all finished  – she loves it and I do too, it’s perfect for her at this age.

blue and lavender girls room

Sources: Paint color: ‘Jade Frost’ by Glidden; Bunk Beds: Cinnamon Twin in White from Simply Bunk Beds; Quilts:  Brooklyn by Pottery Barn Kids;  Gray and white shams: Linden by Crane + Canopy; Lavender Fitted Sheets: Percale in Wildflower from Company Kids; Underbed Storage Boxes: Canvas White by One Step Ahead; Lamp: Threshold in Minty Green at Target; Mirror: Blossom by Pottery Barn Kids; Rug: Safavieh in Lavender purchased at Joss & Main but available at Plush Rugs;  Cable Knit Pouf in Lime: purchased on sale at Joss & Main but available at WayfairOrb chandelier from Lowe’s.

To read more details about this room and the projects in it, see this follow up post.

Pin It

146 Responses to “Lavender + Blue Girl’s Room”

1. What’s interesting is that lavender is one of my least favorite colors, but even so, I absolutely love this room! I guess that just goes to show how well designed this space is, with the perfect amount of color and pattern all beautifully arranged. You did such a great job on it! I think my favorite thing is the new light. I love that you spray painted it, and the color is just perfect! Beautifully done, my friend!

2. judy hall says:

Lucky girl! Lovely room!

3. Loooove her room! Can’t wait for your fabric collection to come out!

4. Gorgeous!!! Love the color combo–I’ve never seen it before! You always pull everything together so well.

5. Lynda says:

I absolutely adore every aspect of this room, it is so sweet but sophisticated for a girl growing up. I have three girls of my own so I know the feeling of them getting older. I always enjoy your posts. Your house and taste is just impeccable.

6. Whitney says:

I begged my mom for bunk beds around that age, I got them and it was the best gift ever!! Perfect for sleep overs! I slept in them till I went to college and loved every minute! Then of course in college I also got stuck sleeping in bunk beds and that wasn’t as great….

7. Amanda says:

There are those curtains again…you’re killing me, Kate…I want them so bad!!!! hahaha! I think I’ll be your first customer when you start selling them. Hurry up….LOL! BTW, your daughter’s room is absolutely beautiful. I love all the little details. I’m about to redo my 4-year old’s room and she loves purple but I was going to go the yellow/pink/green route. After seeing this room, I might need to rethink things…

8. Deanna says:

Absolutely love everything in and about this room! I was wondering what the brand and color is of the spray paint you used for the chandelier? Great job!

9. Lucy says:

What a great room! I was hoping to have a better look at the wall opposite the bunk beds. I am curious to see the full effect of the 3 shelves. My daughter’s room is quite small, so any space-saving ideas are greatly appreciated!

10. Amanda says:

Hi again Kate! Are the curtains on the closet also your design? Thanks!

11. Julie says:

What is the detail around the shelves? It looks like tree branches- so pretty! How did you make this?

12. Pamela says:

This is gorgeous!

13. jenn says:

I’d love to know more about the fabrics, I love all the patterns… did you design them yourself?

14. Amanda says:

Just wondering where you got the purple and blue/green storage bins that are next to your daughter’s desk in the pictures?

15. What a beautiful room! I love it so much I think I want a little girl now, lol ;)

16. Patti Z says:

Wow! Such a sophisticated, yet age appropriate room. And I love the bunk beds!

17. Jessica says:

Would love to know where curtain fabric is from and details about the tree on the wall with paper leaves?

18. Absolutely beautiful! Love it =)

19. Jennifer says:

I love this color scheme.
    I saw that rug for a killer deal at Overstock yesterday. I believe it is listed under Cambridge Rug. Anyhow, just adorable! :)

Thanks so much ladies for the link to the less expensive rug!

21. Tess @hsf says:

Just beautiful! I always wanted bunk beds when I was a kid for the exact same reasons! To have friends sleep over and build a tent!

22. Sarah says:

Where are the curtains/drapes from?

23. Diana says:

Curtains…need them like, immediately. Are they yours Kate? If so when can I get my hands on some?

24. Meghan Grace says:

I love the photo of your daughter looking in the mirror. How sweet! The colors look really fabulous together for a young lady and I love the light fixture! Great job! Meghan

25. Jennifer says:

The room turned out beautiful. My daughter turns 9 in a couple weeks and wants to update her room. This is a great inspiration. Where did you get the thick white drapery rods? I’ve been looking everywhere and can’t find them.

26. Oh, her room is darling. So sophisticated and yet perfect for a little girl. And I’m so exciting to see all of your fabric designs!

27. Jen says:

Absolutely beautiful! Can you tell me the brand and colour of the spray paint you used for the chandelier?

28. Elizabeth H says:

Her room is beautiful. Perfect for a growing up girl. Love the picture of her in the mirror with her baby picture right beside. Great pictures as always.

29. Terri says:

I have a nightstand that is very much like that in the original white with gold trim. I would love to paint it. It has formica on the top. Do you have a suggestion for painting the top? I would love to repurpose it.

30. Rose says:

Where can I find the curtains hung over the closet doors

31. Amber says:

What a sweet room. Where are the drapes from?

32. kelli says:

This room is so pleasing to the eye..the colors, the fabric, the layout of it…it is so serene,
    I love it. You did a fabulous job..your daughter is sure to have many happy memories here.
    Love the honeycomb (?) mirror too.

Kelli Girsch

33. Auralee says:

You did such a good job!!!! Where are the curtains from?

34. I too want to know where the curtains are from?

35. What a gorgeous room! Even as an adult, I’m feeling a little envious ;). The chandelier is fantastic and the floor cushion/pouf is stunning too – a really awesome pop of bright colour against the dreamy pale scheme.

36. LOVE this! It looks like a magazine it’s so pretty. I love her desk, especially the color.

37. Yvonne says:

Can you please please share where you bought the curtain rod? Ive been looking for a nice white one forever! Looove the room. She is one lucky girl!

Yvonne, the curtain rods are from Lowes, they have nice white ones.

39. Oh my goodnes….I got a little teary eyed! The room looks beautiful and yes, they need to stop growing so fast! My oldest daughter is 7…..wasn’t she JUST born??? Lol :’-(

40. Antonella says:

Hi!! First I´m going to tell you that I love this room. And that I had read and I had seen it on Pinterest other looks of this room. Where I can find them?

XOXOX

41. Karen F says:

such a beautiful room! it’s sophisticated, but still fit for a child/tween. beautiful!

42. Alexa says:

I love the color of this bedroom, however I went to Home Depot and glidden no longer makes this color. I was wondering if you knew the paint # for jade frost so they can duplicate it for me.

Hi Alexa, the color is still available and the formula is in their computer!

44. Anne says:

I absolutely love how the colors match in her bedroom.

45. Amy says:

This might be a weird question, but where do you find those tulips? The only ones I can ever find look WAY fake!

Tulips are always available at the market in spring around here Amy!