January 1, 2013
Long walks in the woods do wonders for the mind, body, and soul and bring remarkable clarity. I was up in the mountains last week and had a lot of time to think about what I’d like this year to be about. It’s common to set goals or resolutions for ourselves this time of year and the more I thought about it, the more I analyzed my dreams and the direction I need to take to make them happen, and to make my work even more fulfilling.
I confess I needed a break from blogging which is why I took the week off. All those unplugged hours helped me focus on what I wanted more of here on the blog and today seems the perfect time to share those ideas, hopes, and dreams. I’ll be staying true to most of what I’ve been posting about for years, but here are a few changes I’ll be making in 2013.
1. Less Me, More You. I love home improvement but there’s only a few major projects left around our place before the house is “done” and after that we’ve no plans to move! Yet I absolutely love DIY projects on the home front, remodeling and sprucing will always be a passion, so I plan to tackle a few more of your design dilemmas and include readers in the conversation too. I’ll still have a lot of creative DIY ideas of my own to share too but I don’t expect to do quite as many this year as I have in the past.
2. Random Beauty. I love to explore the world with my camera, heading out into nature, popping into local shops, and taking pictures of cool places and spaces. I’m going to adventure and share more of what I capture with my lens this year.
3. Great Design. My favorite topic is what constitutes good design, from architectural elements to color, fabric, and furniture choices. I’ll be beefing up the Style Files with weekly articles on random topics this year, together with some Contributing Writers.
4. Weekly Encouragement. I love the idea of starting off the week with an encouraging word or quote, so I plan to do a lot of that on Mondays, and offer some free printables to go along with it.
5. Fabric Design. I’ve been hinting at this for a while but I feel it’s finally time to share. After a year of dreaming, I have all the tools in place to pursue something I’m truly passionate about and that is textile design. More samples of my work are arriving every day and I’m excited to be launching a line of colorful prints for home this spring.
We’ve decided to convert the small unit above our garage into a design and sewing studio, and we’ll be starting the transformation later this month. For me, this is the ultimate DIY project, and I’ll be working on a lot of textile designs behind the scenes over the next couple of months until the collection is complete!
In life, there is always uncertainty about what the future holds but I believe in taking a leap of faith and investing in oneself. Finding the right path, my true north, is what this year is really about for me. I believe we all need to focus on what truly makes us happy and not so much what everyone else is doing. Life is too short not to pursue our passions!
I want this blog to continue to be a place of inspiration and community and I’ll stay focused topic wise on inspiring you and me in the process of making our lives and homes more beautiful. I love sharing the inspiring writings and projects of others so both the ‘Best of the Blogosphere’ and ‘Friday Finds’ series will continue this year.
I know there are a lot of lovely blogs to read out there, I subscribe to so many too, and so I am grateful every day for your readership. I welcome any of your thoughts on content or posts, feel free to suggest them in the comments or email them to me at [email protected].
I’ll be kicking off the New Year with an all star cast of tips on organizing tomorrow.
Cheers to a healthy, happy, and productive 2013!