I’ll Have a Blue Christmas… Porch

December 2, 2012

I was in the mood for modern, simple, and unexpected this year.  I’m back to my old favorites using blue and green on the front porch instead of traditional red like last year’s poinsettia porch.  Here is our porch all decked out for the season in navy and white with some emerald green thrown in for fun.

blue and white christmas porch

I moved the outdoor rug and pillows from the rear balcony to the covered front porch where we could enjoy them for a few months more in a different spot.  Two white trees in urns and a preserved boxwood wreath on the door complete the scene.

boxwood wreath white tree with ornaments

My daughter and I decorated it together this weekend – she enjoys decorating during the holidays as much as I do.  After I cleared off all the debris leftover from autumn (and my sad very dead chrysanthemums) out came the white trees and the return of my old spray painted urns.   I just love her colorful mod dress!  She picked it out all by herself on a shopping trip with her Grandma a few weeks ago – the girl’s got style!

little decorator

The seasonal wreath is a preserved boxwood version found at Lowes and tied up with a navy satin ribbon.

preserved boxwood front door wreath

white trees on porch

I swear by the “pile up a bunch of ornaments in a vessel” decorating philosophy, and use it everywhere around my house including this rusty old oval tin bucket and basket.

pile of ornaments cg

blue ornaments in basket

Our kitty cat Coco’s job is to sit on the porch every afternoon and survey the neighborhood, cautiously studying the dogs that pass giving them her best stink eye and taking inventory on the bird population.  She takes her job very seriously.

kitty on porch

guardian coco

I was able to shoo her away to snap a few images of our blue Christmas porch, now ready to welcome guests for our annual Christmas party coming up in a few short weeks.

kates blue christmas porch

More holiday related scenes coming up this week for the Holiday Home link parties!

Pin It

Tags: , ,

42 Responses to “I’ll Have a Blue Christmas… Porch”

1. Screendoorgirl 3 says:

What a beautiful front porch! If I came to your party, I’d savor over it and be excited to get in and see the rest! Also, I love your daughter’s dress, it’s perfect with the colors and theme. Great job!

2. Cathy says:

Love your blue/white palette – your porch looks fresh, sparkly and festive….what great memories you are making with your daughter……….I can’t help but smile when I look at your pictures – so fun!

Cathleen in Kentucky

3. Charlene says:

Beautiful porch, Kate! You always keep it fresh and fabulous!

4. Charlene says:

And your daughter is a beauty! :-)

5. Maria says:

Wonderful!!! So pretty, you have an excellent taste!

6. Sachi says:

Wow! What a stunning and creative color scheme! I absolutely love it! The idea of bringing the rug to the front porch just completes the look! I love it! Great job!

7. sharon says:

What a beautiful welcoming entry…..and the kitty is the cherry on top. I want that dress for me! She looks adorable! Kate, did u learn to juggle yet? Haha, i will never forget that post!

8. karlene says:

you girls did a beautiful job, i just love it!!! I have never really been a fan of the bright colored trees (if you can call white bright, i think?)….but this year, they are growing on me and you have just made me a fan!! nice. thank you!!

9. Wendie says:

Love the blue & green, your front porch is beautiful!

10. Karen says:

THAT is the best faux boxwood wreath I’ve ever seen. And those are some exceptional photos you have there Missy! Love the blue and white. The rug makes it. Good job! ~ karen

11. Genna Corwin says:

Gorgeous! And I am totally stealing that ornaments in a basket idea. Love!

12. Lataya says:

I love love love this porch blue is my favorite color. I have already decorated my porch for 2012 christmas but next year you can bet it will be blue and green. I love your site and look forward to seeing the new projects that you share it has me crafting like crazy and I have a ton of ideas from you that I can’t wait to try….keep up the good work and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

13. I love that the cat wanted in on the bloggy action. ; )

14. Kate! This looks so amazing and winter wonderlandy! Great job my friend!

love your guts
    mandi

15. Claudia says:

dude, don’t shoo the kitty away, she is part and parcel of the tableau :D she looks just like our Willie-Boo except he has one eye. LOVE that dress on your girl, and love the blue and green porch. I wish I had a porch, period, argh! have a great week! CB

16. Love your blue, green, and white front porch and I love how your daughter’s dress matches the decor.

17. Christina M says:

What type of hook are you using to hang the wreath? I need a reliable hook to hang on glass. Thanks!

18. MaviDeniz says:

I love your design aesthetic. The color of your door is gorgeous. What color is it if I may ask?

Xo

19. I LOVE that rug. Someday I am going to have to bite the bullet and find something similar! I can just imagine how it would brighten up a room!

20. Jenny Meier says:

I never would have thought to put a rug of that size outside. It really makes the space elegant.

21. Natalie says:

There are so many things I love about this porch decoration that I don’t know where to begin. The colors, the rug, the trees in urns, sheesh…I’m overwhelmed! lol! Well done!

22. This is just a gorgeous porch, so fresh and sprited. Love the colors, love the abundance, great job. Jo @ Let’s Face the Music

23. Your porch is gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE the use of blue, it’s so classy!

24. Normally, I’m not very fond of white trees but yours look really good paired with all the other white and blue. It is a very elegant looking porch and will make a perfect entrance for your party!

25. Christine says:

I love it it is so neat with white, navy and emerald . You must has fun doing it.
    Thanks or sharing

26. I love the blue and white theme. Your rug looks perfect with it!

27. Donna says:

Love the porch and the dress! Also, see that Coco has his blue on, too. He blends right in!

28. I agree with Jessica… the rug is perfection with your new color scheme!

29. Patti Z says:

Love your blue Christmas porch! Love your daughter’s blue mod dress! And Coco with her blue collar-snazzy!

Hi Mavi, thanks so much! The door color is ‘Cape May Cobblestone’ by Ben Moore – I wrote about painting it here!

Hi Christina, that’s a Command hook I’ve had for years, it really does a great job supporting a wreath! The key is to let the adhesive “cure” for about an hour before you hang anything on it, or even a day, but it’s lasted on our front door’s glass window for years!

Ha! Claudia you’re funny, it’s true, every time I went to snap a pic the cat was sitting right there… she loves that spot!

33. Sarah says:

Wow, absolutely stunning – so gorgeous! Happy Christmas – ;-))

34. Sherry says:

This is just so gorgeous ! I think blue is my new favorite color…and you do such a great job pulling it together with the white for Christmas. Stunning! I have got to get myself a boxwood wreath, they just look so lovely.

35. I just love how you use what you have, just moving it around the house!

36. Tardevil says:

Love the blues! The pillows are awesome, too, as is your daughter’s dress! The cat does look very serious…looks like a security cat. ;o) Merry Christmas!

37. I love the blue and white- and the green keeps it interesting and not too typical! Beautiful rug too! Great job.

I have a giveaway happening on my blog this week for a $200 gift card to Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, and West Elm. I’d love if you entered- I’m sure you could do something fabulous with it!!

38. Jill says:

Beautiful! I love the blue!

39. Lovely! Just Pinned this one. :) The shots of the kitty are so cute. Our dog Emma always plops herself in front of the shot, but I got some nice Christmas tree pics with her last night. ;) I really like the way those white trees pop with the ornaments!

40. Tiffany says:

Kate, I’ve had eye on that rug in black and bone for my interior entry. We live in a mountain town and get a lot of snow so I need something to absorb damp shoes. I’m afraid a wool rug would get ruined so I thought an indoor/outdoor might work but I don’t want anything too “outdoorsy”. Would this rug look okay inside and does it clean well?

41. Andrea H. says:

Is that one of those Command hooks holding up your wreath? If so, have you found that it works well? I’ve had some in my home that I’ve been less than impressed with. I haven’t used any outside, though.