Sleigh Bells Ring . . .

November 26, 2012

I found some large colorful jingle bells on sale at Joann’s Fabrics last week and all I could think about was doing something crafty with them.   I thought about making something cheery so I came up with a DIY version of sleigh bells – here they are!

diy sleigh bells craft

To recreate this simple craft, here’s what you need!

sleigh bells supplies

1 ½” D Ring hook from hardware store, leather or vinyl (I used white vinyl); large jingle bells, stapler, ribbon, scissors, embellishment for top, hole punch (optional).

Cut a piece of leather (or vinyl) so that it’s long enough to wrap around the D ring and support your bells.

trim leather or vinyl

Notch your fabric with scissors to make room for it to wrap around the D ring.

notch fabric

Wrap it around the ring and secure with staples.  Yep, it’s not pretty but you’ll cover that with your little embellishments and ribbon.  An alternative is to use hot glue, that avoids the stapling if you want to leave your sleigh bells plain in front

wrap and staple

Make a small hole for each bell’s string and slide it through the front.

small hole for jingle bell

Secure with a knot in the back and trim excess.

tie in knot

Punch two small holes in between your staples and secure embellishments with ribbon.  Easy peasy and you’re done in 15 minutes!

hole for ribbon

These would be really cute in smaller scale as a gift wrap embellishment but I do love how the larger bells make charming Christmas decor for any door inside or out.   I hung this version on my dining room hutch.  Or hang them on your front door so the jingle bells ring when guests arrive!

diy sleigh bells

And speaking of Christmas crafting and decorating … don’t forget the Holiday Home parties start next week!

holiday home link parties

Join us in all the fun !

Pin It

24 Responses to “Sleigh Bells Ring . . .”

1. Ashley says:

I love this for a gift embellishment! Great idea for the extra bells I have in my craft closet!

2. Your sleigh bells turned out so cute! Brilliant idea! Loving the green and white with silver and gold!

3. I always love your crafts. I just finished making 5 Christmas stockings using your tutorial from last year too. Everyone is so impressed! (Thanks) :)

4. OH! So cute! Would be great modified as dog bells too for the back door.

5. nora says:

My grandmother always has jingle bells on her door. She lives alone so it’s a cheap alarm but it also sounds so festive!

6. Wow! When I first saw this one I thought that it was going to be way more complicated. But you made it really easy! I love it!

7. Erin says:

Great idea, with a great tutorial! I’ll have to make sure to link up my holiday decor!

8. Cynthia says:

This is so easy and I thought it was so hard to do. This looks fabulous. I love the color of the bells.

Cynthia

9. Bonnie says:

This turned out so cute and seems to be quit to make! Thanks for sharing.

10. OMG – Love this! And love the colors. So bright and cheery!

11. This is gorgeous…I love it!!

12. Runt says:

What a neat idea! I wish I had a dining room hutch!! =[ We are still in the buying furniture stages of home ownership.

13. Tammy Masson says:

You amaze me! With all the home improvement projects you have going on, you pause to create a Christmas craft! It’s gorgeous!

14. We put some of these up five years ago and our dog starting nudging them with her nose when she wanted to go outside. They remain on our door to this day. ;-)

That’s fantastic Beth, and thanks!

16. Kate you always come through for me. I love this project. I bought jingle bells about 2 weeks ago and I also bought burlap ribbon….thank you, thank you, now I know how I can hang them up. YAY!!! I LOVE how your’s turned out. Gorgeous!!! Pinning it now. :)

17. Great idea for destashing the “junk” in my craft closet! Lovely idea!

18. Jessica says:

Where did you find your green bells? They are so cute! Also, would you get leather at a place like Michaels?

19. karlene says:

such a lovely photo!!! awesome styling.. thank you!!

20. Simple, yet beautiful. Just the way I like it. :) Thanks for sharing.

21. amy says:

Thanks, Kate! These are adorable and just in time to make one as part of a hostess gift.

They might have leather Jessica, but as someone else suggested, burlap would be nice too! I know they do have vinyl in lots of colors.

23. Love the Jingle Bells! They are so cute! I’d love to make some of these for my house!

24. Super cute! We had jingle bells growing up…love this idea!