Family Portrait 2012

November 28, 2012

Last week our oldest was home from college for Thanksgiving so we set aside an hour to take the annual family picture.  We were so grateful to have perfect weather that day (hello gorgeous fall colors!) and a willing and talented photographer to assist.   Last year I just set up the tripod for our family Christmas photo, but this year we liked the idea of being outdoors together.

kate family photo

family collage 1

kids leaves

kids cute and silly

leaf throwing

We enlisted the help of my talented friend Heidi who takes amazing pictures as a hobby (but really she should go professional!) and she’s always teaching me something new about photography, sharing her tips, and turning me on to fab photography sites.

I asked if she could meet us at our house and snap a few photos.  We looked around the neighborhood for a great backdrop and I saw this tree just up the hill from our house so that’s where we shot these.  The whole shoot took 20 minutes and we were done – I love how they turned out!

A few tips for taking great outdoor family photos:

1)  Lighting.  Most professionals will tell you to snap the images during the “golden hour” or “sweet light” which is one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset when the sun’s rays are not overhead but traveling sideways instead since the sun is low in the sky.

2)  A Good Photographer.  If you don’t know a great photographer, then by all means hire one!  An hour spent on a session plus a CD of the captures to go with it is a great investment.  Pictures really are the best keepsakes!   Kids grow up fast so I say spend the bucks, you’ll never regret a great photography session.

3).  A Great Backdrop.  Think brick walls, pretty nature scenes like the beach or the woods, an old barn, anyplace that has some color and character.

4)   Limit the Palette.  There’s no need to wear matching outfits, but it’s best to at least keep the palette limited. This year we went with gray and navy and that worked and everyone dressed in what they liked.  The exception is if you’re shooting in black and white and in those circumstances it doesn’t really matter if everyone is wearing something in a different color.

5)  Act Naturally.  Hyper posed images can seem phony so it’s nice when you just snuggle up naturally or engage in antics that capture the family’s personality.  Just ask the photographer to keep snapping and you’ll end up with some great ones!

Have you taken any great family pictures outdoors?  If so, share your tips!

49 Responses to “Family Portrait 2012”

1. Oh Gosh! It was beautiful there! Lovely pictures.

I love the one with the littles smooching big sister. So sweet.

2. ReenieLou says:

What a beautiful family. Love the tree and the leaves. Great pics :)

3. Denise says:

Beautiful family, gorgeous leaves and your kiddos are getting so big!

4. Allison says:

Beautiful photos Kate and you are a beautiful family. Your you gets daughter looks a lot like you. Your friend is a fantastic photographer. I know you said she does it as a hobby. I wonder if she’d be available to hire to do our photos…..

5. The photos are lovely, and those are great tips! But as a relatively new follower, the most surprising part was seeing that you have a college-age daughter – you guys look like you’re nearly the same age!

6. Kerstin says:

Which one is the college-age daughter and which one is the Mom?!?

7. Mary Ruth says:

I agree with your advice. And your friend is GOOD! I see so many ‘staged’ photos on Pinterest for weddings and sometimes they look ‘odd’ because they are too staged. NOT real! Like those people will be embarrassed someday for seeing those photos and say ‘what was I thinking’?

Love your happy family photos!

Ha! You’re sweet Kerstin!!! xo

9. Great photos! Beautiful kids! And, I don’t think I’ve ever seen your husband. Loved seeing your whole family.

10. Guerrina says:

Beautiful family and I ditto Kerstin! These are keepers (family and photos lol)!

Hi Allison, send me an email maybe we can convice her! Assuming you’re local!

12. Vicki says:

It’s difficult to tell which one is the mom, you look like sisters, really!

Ha! Jess, I should say my oldest stepdaughter but I’ve raised her since she was 3 so I consider her “mine” ! But yep, I’m plenty old enough to be her Mom, knockin’ on 40 next year!

14. Claudia says:

Very nice pics, love all the different combinations of family members!

15. Lori says:

Kate, your family is gorgeous!! I love the blue you chose!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ lori

16. Kate, Your clothing picks are PERFECT! Love your family pics SO MUCH! XO, Aimee

17. Jenn says:

These are absolutely beautiful pictures!

18. What a beautiful family you have! These pictures are gorgeous! :)

19. unni says:

lovely pictures…

great tips, especially the last ..

mmm, i haven’t taken family pictures outside :D

20. What great shots! And could you look any younger?? I thought the gal on the left in the first shot was the daughter til I got all the way through!

21. You have such a beautiful family! Love the dark blue clothes with the fall colors … what fun memories. Happy Holidays to you all!

22. What a great pic Kate! I find that the hardest part of the pic is getting everyone there and having the weather cooperate. Looks like you had a gorgeous day! Lucky!

23. Kristin says:

I love the apothecary table!

24. Pamela says:

They came out so nice! Beautiful family!

25. Runt says:

The photos came out great! You have a beautiful family! We are taking our family picture this coming Sunday. =]

26. LiveLikeYou says:

Wait you look like sisters!! You are the youngest mom! Pretty family.

27. Andrea says:

What a beautiful family! And I am in love with the color choices!

28. such lovely photos! I love the silver and blue color combo you’re all wearing! really pops with the natural background.

29. MelanieL says:

Lovely family photos Kate!

30. Absolutely lovely, beautiful family and great tips..

decogirlmontreal

31. Laurie D says:

Love these pics – I am so happy I found your blog!! Thank you very much for the inspiration.

32. Perfect fall backdrop!!!

33. Elizabeth H says:

Beautiful family and I love the outdoor pictures. Perfect!

34. Kate, beautiful pictures. Love the one with the younger two kissing “big” sis!!

35. Christine says:

Spectacular shots!!!! And what a great looking family.
    20 minute picture shoots are really all I am ever going to go for.
    Last month a local photographer took pictures of our three young boys – I had won the session at a school benefit. This “childrens’ photographer” had zero patience for my boys (for all 20 minutes of the shoot), and her prices were outrageous – $79 for a 5×7 alone, and she would not sell me the CD. So, as much as the finished shots were amazing of my three non-stop monkeys, I took a pass….
    Instead, we took the boys back to the same farm, wearing the same clothes for the same crazy but quick photo session – but now I was the wanna-be photographer! And wouldn’t you know, the best shot was the first one I took. It is now our Christmas card and I am so proud.

36. Huma Z says:

Gorgeous pictures!!! Love the deep blue against fall backdrop. Your oldest is a Kate Middleton look alike! So cute. :)

37. Awww great pictures Kate! I agree, family portraits are so important :) I love the one where your son is throwing up the leaves totally crazy :) Reminded me of how my son is in the leaves. Good night!

Wow Christine, sorry you had such a bad experience! Good for you for going for it yourself, glad you ended up with a great shot!

39. Sherry says:

The photos of your family is beautiful! Love the backdrop, so gorgeous!

40. Oh my goodness. Seeing those gorgeous photos has made me realise that I have been following you for over a year now! Where on earth did that go?

I just wanted to say that some blogs in my inbox come and go and some I don’t get around to opening (as I’m too frantic with work) but I can never wait to read and devour yours. Thanks for the constant inspiration. I learnt how to relax and write more like I talk by reading Centsationalgirl.com than I did writing for a VERY big magazine here in the UK for 9 years!

Keep up the amazing work. Looking forward to the next years

EmmaMT

41. Such a beautiful family, Kate! You are all adorable!

wow Emma that is so very kind, thank you!!

43. Vel says:

Beautiful family kate – now I know more what keeps you inspired and happy! Thanks for sharing!

44. Melanie says:

Such a beautiful family! At first, I didn’t know which woman was you and which was your college-aged daughter! Are you sure you’re old enough to have a daughter that age?! You look like you’re 21! lol

45. Nancy says:

You are so tiny Kate..No wonder people think you are one of the kids..Great photos again this year..

46. Love your photos, Kate! You and Matt have the most beautiful children. Great color choices for the outfits. I chose gray and dark red for the girls dresses this year, and I think they look nice. Love the shots of the kids throwing leaves. :)

47. Kristy Swain says:

Gorgeous! The photos turned out great! Beautiful family.

48. Love the pictures! And I love your cardigan Kate!! Where did you get it?

49. enne says:

love these pics and i’m totally doing the blue theme for next year. I’m totally usually like the young lady on the right, getting caught with a wrinkly shirt or a bad hair day (her’s is fab) on family pictures day! :o(