Study Complete!

October 9, 2012

Well I’m excited to announce I finally finished up the study space makeover we started way back in May.  I had every intention of finishing up this space before school started for the kids in August but life and other more important spaces kept me occupied.

Anyhoo.  Last weekend, I finally was able to tackle the final projects that remained – stitching up a cushion cover for the window seat and installing a window treatment above.  I decided to have a lot of fun with color in this space especially since it’s for the kids.  I stuck with a blue and green palette (predictable much Kate?) and mixed in a lot of pattern to keep it fun.

blue and green study with window seat

With a width of 9 ½ feet, the room is not gigantic, but but it’s just big enough for its intended purpose, as a creative zone for art and games, for reading or watching movies, and a place for the youngsters to hang out with each other and their buddies.

kids doing art

Yeah that window seat we built from IKEA refrigerator cabinets over the summer sure looks great topped with a cushion and some fun pillows!  I’ve always wanted a true window seat similar to the built in nook I had when I was a kid.

I sewed a cushion cover with a foam insert for the window seat, but let me tell you, it was the ultra lazy ‘sew the bare minimum’ method. I had lofty ambitions of a piped cushion cover with a perfect zipper enclosure but instead settled on a knife edge cushion, stitched up with some green canvas outdoor fabric I found on sale at Joann’s Fabrics.

window seat from ikea cabinets centsational girl

Hello beautiful modern oversized drum fixture!  I searched high and low for the right pendant, and even considered a DIY version, but when I saw the Finley fixture at Crate + Barrel, I decided it was the one.  Large in scale, clean lined and modern, and perfect for the space.

new fixture in study

To the right of the window is the blue sofette I bought earlier this year and the new wall map and art gallery wall above.

wall gallery and blue sofette

pillows on sofette

marking pens and books

The campaign desk I painted Kelly green earlier this year is still hanging out on the wall opposite the window.  Inside I store most of their art supplies with the bottom drawer dedicated to their multiple completed masterpieces.

kelly green campaign desk in study

To the left of the window and across the sofette is the set of Vittsjo shelving we modified earlier this summer by painting it white and replacing the shelves with stained wood instead.

white painted vittsjo shelving

The shelving units are narrow and perfect for storing books, games, and a small TV.  More kid art is on display up above.

vittsjo shelving centsational girl

It’s a small but stylish space perfect for kid activities and one that will grow with them over the years.

blue and green study with window seat

Sources:  Paint: ‘Oyster Bay’ by Glidden; Rug: Green and blue medallion from Overstock;  Sofette: Bayonet in Caribbean Blue (purchased on sale at Joss & Main); Drum shade pendant: Finley from Crate + Barrel; Pillows: Joss & Main, World Market, and DIY;  Shelving: Vittsjo by IKEA, modified by us; Table: DIY, how to here; Window treatments from Lowes: Levolor bamboo blinds and Calendale panels; Desk: thrift store makeoverGreen chairs from Target.

Let me know if I forgot any details, I’ll answer them in the comments!

80 Responses to “Study Complete!”

1. Elizabeth H says:

Perfect as always. Love the colors and everything.

2. Carmel says:

It’s amazing Kate! I love the colors and patterns! You really made the most of this space! I’m so inspired!

3. Rachel says:

Kate! Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors. The room looks very bright and cheery. Perfect for your children. You really are amazing at what you do! Can’t get enough!

4. Rachel says:

Kate, Absolutely beautiful! Love the colors you picked. The room looks so bright and cheery – perfect for your kids! You really do produce amazing work. Can’t get enough!

5. Amanda Eck says:

Its look great!! What a fun space to get creative in!

6. Susan says:

Love it! I would spend all day in that room if it were mine!

Can you tell us where you got the shelves the little car and kid art are from? the ones over the desk? Are they IKEA, too?

7. Lucky Kids! I love this space. It is so organized, purposeful, and oh so gorgeous. I love the layers of color and pattern. Nice work!

8. Donna Slater says:

Another great job! I had a window seat built in our master bedroom and I, too, had great plans for a fab cushion. Some details on your cushion, please? Did you use foam you found at the fabric store? Did you have to glue/piece the foam to the dimensions you needed? Any info you might offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9. Em says:

Love it! Where is this space is your house though? You should do the layout on floorplanner.com so we can visualize – like BowerPower and Young House Love do!

10. kendra says:

wow! i love everything! thanks so much for the inspiration – these colors are great together: )

11. Jeanette says:

Love it! Would love to have a room like that. Love the colors.

12. Kim in Iowa says:

So neat! Is the Glidden color, Oyster Bay, a gray tone?

13. Carrie says:

Love it all! You always make everything looked so polished!

14. MelanieL says:

This is a great space Kate and as always you pulled it together so nicely! I wish we had a dedicated study room for our kids but their study “wall” works out well too.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your opinion on the Target chairs thus far? Are they holding up well?

15. how2home says:

This room looks awesome! I love the bright green and blue for the study room. Such a lively space, i wouldn’t mind doing my studying there :)

16. So well put together. Can I be your kid?

17. Esther says:

I love it! So inspirational that it makes me want to design my own kid friendly space. We have 4 children and they love nothing better than to sit at the kitchen table and make ‘art’. To have a space dedicated to that would be so amazing. Great work!

18. samaa says:

What a beautiful space Kate! You pulled it all together amazingly, I love how it turned out :) It’s so sweet that your kids have a space like this to hang out in.

Hey Kim, the Oyster Bay is a pale gray with a hint of green to it.

Hey Melanie, I’ve had the Target chairs for almost two years and so far so good!

Hey great idea to post about a floor plan of the house Em!

22. I LOVE all of the patterns in here!!! Gorgeous room!

23. hena tayeb says:

Wow you did a brilliant job. I love that you created the space by a window letting all the gorgeous natural sunlight flooding in. I love the details, the markers in the shoes, the hard covered books..

24. Karen says:

The room looks so inviting! Where do your curtains/curtain fabric come from? I always on the hunt for fabric sources…. please share yours! Thanks.

25. The study turned out sooooo good! I love it all! Lucky kids, that’s all I gotta say ;)

26. Elizabeth says:

I totally just had to go buy those books at Barnes & Noble! Love them…I added Peter Pan and The Wind in the Willows as well…all the basis for Disney films/attractions! HA!

27. Allison says:

Beautifully done Kate. Such a fresh looking room! I’m a huge fan of kids artwork…so fun to see in a space. Your kids are adorable.

28. Kate this room turned out great. LOVE all the colors and pattern and texture. The couch is gorgeous!!! Love the color and the texture of it. Looks like a great room for the kids, heck I would be happy in the corner of that window seat reading a book. ;)

29. Bella says:

I love what you did with your study. I especially love the way you incorporated the kiddos artwork. That makes it all the more special. Thank you for the great ideas!

30. Sarah says:

What a BEAUTIFUL room!! I, too, have been lusting after that rug since I first saw it. I sure hope they decide to carry it for a long time yet.

31. Pat says:

I love the Levolor bamboo blinds that you got from Lowe’s – did you find those in the store or did you have to custom order them?

32. Meagan says:

Love love love this room and the color combos! I actually went to my local Lowes to purchase these exact curtains and could not find them. :( How long ago did you purchase them?

33. Susan says:

I love the room! The colors the are wonderful I so want to paint some the kelly green like your desk. I think I may have to hunt down those curtians this weekend. Everything looks just so great, well done!

34. What a great room! I especially love the campaign dresser!

35. Gorgeous as always! The colors are great and I love the curtains!
    Leslie

36. Louise M says:

Lovely! Beautiful colours throughout!

37. It looks great!! I love the colour scheme, so fresh.

38. Lexi says:

The room is lovely and so full of happy colors!

Quick question, I see a peek of a wall mounted, swing arm type lamp. Where did you find that? I’m looking for something similar for our uber small guest room.

Thanks!

39. Anne says:

What a lovely room! THANK YOU for sharing it – I have a room of almost the exact dimensions and layout that I was contemplating setting up like this as a (current) writing room for me and (future) study room for children and it’s so great to get a visual. I even have the same CB light!

That being said, I would be grateful if you could share the approximate dimensions of your pieces – especially the table in the center of the room. Pretty please?

I’ve been debating between a rectangular table and a round table for a long time and this might help me finally make a decision and move forward!

Beautiful job!

Hi Lexi, did I not link to it at the bottom? Oops! It’s the swing arm sconce from Pottery Barn.

Hi Meagan, I purchased the panels a month ago, but I saw them again there last week, they come in taupe, blue, and green and they’re reversible.

Hi Karen, the window panels are from Lowes, the Cavendale, no online source but they should be in stores. Lowes! Who woulda thought?

43. Taylor says:

I am also curious about the window seat cushion :)

Hi Pat, the blinds are in the store, they will cut them there for you if necessary.

45. Olivia says:

The room looks great! How did you make the cushion cover? I’d like to make one for our window seat but I don’t want to spend too much time on it.

Hi Anne, thanks so much! The X base table we built is 55″ x 21″, hope this helps!

47. Beautiful as usual! Thank you for featuring my pillows in this great space:)

48. It looks amazing! What a fantastic job!! :) Hope you have projects that are as well done!

49. Fabulous space! You did a great job of mixing patterns. I love the window treatments and that cute rug. :) The window seat looks wonderful. :)

Hey Taylor, I’ll write up a quick ‘lazy girl’s guide to knife edge cushion’ post next week!

51. Julie says:

Love it!! Gorgeous, sun-filled fun and bright space!

52. Kate, it turned out great! Love how cheerful and bright this space is and I really love the window seat. Beautiful!

53. Dawn Lynn says:

absolutely stunning! I love it!

54. It looks amazing!!! Love the fabric selections and the new light fixture. Well done!

Laurel

55. Lynne Marie says:

IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):)

56. debbie says:

Kate,
    Long time reader…love your blog. Would love to know about the curtain rod and rings. Where did you purchase them and is it wood or metal and also the rings…are they sewn to the curtains or clipped on? Love the beefyness of the rod and rings! Thanks!
    Debbie

Thanks Debbie! The white pole and rings are also from Lowes and I did sew each ring to the curtains with a needle and thread, it doesn’t take too long. I didn’t want to see clips so I just stitched the rings directly to the cloth.
    Hope this helps!

58. Darcy says:

Love, love what you’ve done, Kate!! Quick question…how did you make the curtains work with the pillows on the bench. I have a bench and would like curtain panels on the window, though the pillows would ‘squish’ the curtains. How did you make it work…or do they squish a bit?

Thanks for all of your inspiration!!!

Hi Darcy, there is a bit of “squishing” at the bottom if the pillows are flattened against the curtains, but that window shade helps to keep them full and straight because the panels are flat against them. Make sense? Anticipate a little flattening at the bottom though with pillows next to the panels.

60. Gilit says:

LOVE it! Stylish and functional. You couldn’t ask for anything better, especially for a kids space (and the color makes me so happy)

61. Rudelle Jade says:

Oh how exciting! I love it, what a light, refreshing space to be creative in! I like your style.

62. I love all of these colors together. It has really come together nicely.

63. This looks gorgeous! I love the green and the blue, they are the exact colors I want to use in our kitchen! I’ll have to use this for inspiration!

64. What a great idea, love the banquette for an office space that multiple people and kiddos share!

65. Nena Lira says:

Love it! specially the rug, the cushions and the desk. It’s all beautiful!! May I post some of these pictures in my blog? I’d love to share with my brazilian friends. xoxo

cheers from Brazil!!

Nena Lira

66. This looks fantastic Kate and I love the blue sofa from Wayfair. One of my favorite online spots :) The colors coordinate beautifully. Your kids must love it in there :) Fun, cheery and bright!

67. Claudia says:

That rug!!! Love love love it – the room looks fabulous!

68. Julie says:

Such a great space! Makes me want to paint my dining room and library! I have a window seat and bookshelves..I think I’ll add a little table and two chairs now after seeing yours! So fun!

69. Anja says:

The carpet is really pretty as it displays all the colors of the room. Where did you get it?

70. aussiemaven says:

Hi Kate,

Can you tell me where the coloured frames above the Ikea Vittsjo are from?

Many thanks!

71. Karen says:

Looks amazing. Love the colors.

72. Serretta Barlow says:

GORGEOUS! So light and airy! Perfect kid’s room! I was just looking at that rug on overstock! Looks perfect in there!

Hi Aussie Maven, good eye! They are from Aaron Brothers, I found them on clearance earlier this summer but maybe they still have them? I think I paid around $10 each.

74. MB says:

Love the colors!
    Did you purchase the curtains recently? I couldn’t find them online.

Where did you get the pillows?

Hello MB, the pillows are from a combination of places, World Market, Joss & Main, and from Festive Home Decor on Etsy.

76. erica says:

Kate, this is perfection. The colors, textures, and space planning – all brilliant. Bravo! I’d love to see a tutorial on how you created the banquette out of the cabinets and the cushion too.

77. Krystin says:

This study space looks wonderful! It would make anyone actually want to study!

78. I love this room for the kids. It looks like a great spot for them to relax, do homework, and make art. I love the idea of a study for kids.

79. Krista W says:

I believe the name of the curtain panels are Wave Thaddeus from Lowes. They are reversible. I actually just bought them!