Friday Finds

October 19, 2012

Oh yes, it’s back for week number two!  It’s my random collection of Friday Finds that include all the things I spy online and feel the need to share, enjoy.

Did you know that Spoonflower now offers wallpaper from their gallery of artists and fabric designers?  You can also design your own!  The wallpaper is removable too, which is perfect for apartments, dorms, or rentals.  Wow, it’s a whole new world!

spoonflower wallpapers

design by Holli Zollinger for Spoonflower

To set my everyday dinner table I use the PB caterer’s plates and I have for many years, but I spied this helpful article on ten other budget basics for white dinnerware.

budget basics simple white dinnerware apt therapy

Ten designers vent about these decorating mistakes, do you agree?

decorating mistakes

I did some virtual window shopping over at Zara Home this week and fell in love with these two metallic accents: a gold pitcher and a silver rope stool

zara home metallics

If you’re looking for a bookshelf beyond the ordinary, consider these 33 creative bookshelf designs.

tree bookshelf

My latest fall fashion finds:  The leopard trench coat I bought, the tall boots I have not.  Yet.  But I’m about to splurge because I’m oh so smitten with them.

fall fashion finds

Oooh!  It’s a peek at the spring hair trends for 2013.

spring hair trends

Feeling tired, anxious, or stressed?  Apparently there are several snacks that help you with those negative feelings.

snacks for negative feelings

I do believe this is just about the cutest family Christmas card I’ve ever seen.

sullivan annual report card

Other articles I enjoyed this week:

When It’s Time to Pivot (written about small business, but applicable to life)

Creative breakthroughs that came during sleep (it happens to me, you too?)

Roger Sterling is my fave image among these 62 celebrity character portraits

What happens to dads with kids who watch ‘The Little Mermaid’ a hundred times.

And now you can thank me for having “Part of Your World” in your head right now…  What are you up to this weekend?  I’m hoping to finish up several of the DIY projects I have in the works and feature a few next week, see you then!

kate signature image

20 Responses to “Friday Finds”

1. Shannon says:

I love the Friday Finds! I’m in trouble with those spring hair trends. I have thick, very curly hair!

2. Brandyn says:

I’m so excited about the Spoonflower wallpaper!

3. Janille Sloan says:

I just watched the life of dads post. Hilarious and awesome!

4. Cindy says:

re: decorating mistakes…a true story: the team at work consists of one male and five females. Male brings in a photo of his new couch against a wall with a framed photo above it…and proceeds to go cubicle to cubicle – asking for our opinion (he liked the sofa – wife does not). Not one of us girls on the team comment on the sofa, but each of us (separately!) on the framed art on the wall – we said, “Mike, the painting is hung too high”. Agreed with his wife about the sofa…

5. Veronica says:

Thanks for the link to the decorating mistakes. I agreed with most of them. I like the look of karate chopped pillows in other people’s pictures but have found myself thinking the same thing: how long does that really last? Most pillows don’t stay that way. I’m guilty of the candles side by side though. I like to pair candle sticks of different heights…oops!

6. Sherry says:

Such a great idea to be able to design your own wallpaper!

7. Thanks for sharing. enjoyed article about decorating mistakes. I have my little pet peeve lately is open concept. Not every house should do open concept. I live in a colonial home myself and open concept would not work very well. I really hate walking into someone’s home who decided to go open concept and now I can see their dirty dishes from their living room. If you are going to open concept your house needs to be super clean and uncluttered in addition to knowing how to define each space. Otherwise it just looks really bad. Love the boots and the trench.I think the boots are a def. must have.

Michelle

8. Peggy says:

Lots to read in this post. The article on basic white dinnerware is so timely. We entertain large groups a few times a year and, as a livelong environmentalist, I am tired of using paper plates and plastic utensils. It’s wasteful and tacky. I decided to stock up on silverware at thrift stores (6 for $1 – can’t beat that) and now am looking for white plates for a dinner for 35 we are having in 2 weeks. Thanks Kate.

9. Ha! The other day my husband walked into our garage, which happens to be overrun with furniture that needs refinishing, and started belting out, “Look at this stuff! Isn’t it neat? Wouldn’t you think my collection’s complete? Wouldn’t you think I’m a GIIIIIRRRRRRLLLLL…”

P.S.: Our kids are too young to have ever seen Little Mermaid so he can’t even blame it on them.

Ha Kelly, that’s too funny!

11. Ashley says:

I must agree with you about that Christmas card – super cute! Thanks for sharing!

12. Elizabeth H says:

I love Friday finds and love the trench coat. Boots are awesome and kinda feel they may make it to your closet.

13. Barbara says:

I haven’t gotten far beyond “biggest decorating mistakes” (Embrace your tv. You wouldn’t put your stove in an armoir, so why the tv?), but I do love the Christmas card!

14. Chrsty says:

Nice finds! We have the white Ikea dishes and I love them. For the price, you just cannot go wrong. I looked for almost a year for an affordable set and of all the sets I came across, the Ikea set didn’t have that “cheap” look that some others did. I will say that the plates are a little smaller than average. The smaller plates are not a negative for me because I like the portion control they provide ; ). I also like that it is open stock and I can replace if I need too.

15. Susan says:

Great post…thanks!

16. Oh my, I am loving this Friday series. Seriously Kate, your posts are so informative I don’t know if I really need to read any other blogs!

17. Angie says:

Great Friday finds! (Going to check out the wallpaper next). I have to disagree with the “prominantly placed family portraits”. The decorator said “unless you are royalty or papal”; well, my family is just as important as the royals! I love seeing other family’s portraits too. Now, I do go into some homes and they have every photo of their child that was ever taken ALL up on the wall, must edit!!!

18. Uta says:

Love your posts. I mostly love that you can disclose to us that one of your favorite finds is a coat from TARGET!! Love that despite the fame and notoriety of your blog, you’re still one of us every day people!!! ; )

19. Genna Corwin says:

Great finds! Love that coat and I was expecting it to be super expensive – so cool!!

20. Sarah says:

Loved the Decorating Mistakes article. I have to say one decorating mistake that just makes me cringe is when pictures are hung too high! I just think to myself, “how can you not see how weird this looks???”. Also loving the Christmas card!