Navy + Coral Bedroom

September 4, 2012

Greetings all, welcome back from the long holiday!  We had a blast down in So Cal soaking up the sunshine and I spent an afternoon helping my oldest move into a new room in a house she is renting with roommates.  The bedroom is small measuring 10 x 12 feet, but we were able to fill it with a few essentials, mainly a cozy bed, a combination desk plus vanity, and an accent chair for a place to sit.

My stepdaughter is twenty and just moved into her first off campus house so I offered to help her decorate her room when we came down for a family visit to San Diego.  She wanted a youthful sophisticated space filled with navy and coral accents with a Moroccan vibe.  Thankfully the walls were already a nice pale shade of gray so that worked with her color palette.  Here’s a peek at the space we pulled together on Saturday.

The bed is IKEA and the linens are from several sources (see below).  I kept the sheets and duvet white but added those coral and navy accents she loves with a combination of large and small scale pattern.

gray walls trellis linens cg

coral and navy accents cg

The side table I found online and we primed and then painted it a gloss navy blue.  We had a lot of fun out in her backyard painting together, she now knows the power of a can of spray paint, ha!

navy blue pedestal table cg

On the other side of her bed we were able to squeeze in an upholstered sitting chair from Target.  Gray linen like panels hang in front of the window -  if you’re looking for an inexpensive but chic set of gray window panels, I absolutely love these (also from Target, source below) and they come in two lengths, but I recommend doubling them up on each side for fullness.

gray chair coral throw cg

Between the bed and closet I set up a combination desk and vanity for her where she can work on her laptop and also prep for the day.

silver mirror and desk cg

On the wall and desk are some prints I found on Etsy framed in IKEA Ribba frames.

etsy art

This is a fun multitasking lamp made up of pretty ceramic bowls to hold jewelry but will also give her extra light when she studies at night.

jewelry holder lamp on desk

The mirror adds so much sophistication to the space, it’s our favorite accent for sure!

silver quatrefoil mirror cg

I substituted the knobs that came with the desk for some chunky silver ring pulls instead.

new silver ring pulls

I love her acrylic desk chair, it’s modern and fun and visually less bulky since it’s clear material.

acrylic desk chair girls room

Her closet has built in drawers and shelves (whew!) so we didn’t need to find her a dresser.  My daughter picked up the bed and mattress at IKEA last week when she moved in, and I shipped most everything else to her house so we could pull it all together in a day.  She works so hard away at school and makes us so very proud so I was happy to give her the special treatment and invest in a few pieces she will keep for many years.

Room sources:

Bed – Nordli, IKEA

Navy pinstripe pillowcase set – Jersey stripe from Target

Midnight quatrefoil duvet & sham -   Echelon at Bobby Burke home

Coral and navy pillows – Trellis and chevron from Festive Home Decor

Writing Desk – Cami white from Overstock

Desk pulls – Belwith in satin nickel by KnobsnPulls

Swivel Chair -  Rumor acrylic purchased from Overstock but also available here

Silver mirror – Quatrefoil by Shades of Light

Lamp and shade on desk – Just Jewels by PB Teen

Marble storage boxes – DIY project

Blue stripe accent rug – Suite Ribbon by PB Teen

Window panels - Scotland in Gray from Target

Gray side chair + pillow -  Dolce from Target, Privet house pillow no longer avail

Pedestal end table -  Bailey accent spray painted gloss navy

Picture Frame – Coral chevron by Anthropologie

White glass lamp on nightstand purchased at Target last year

Etsy art – Squirrel, Anchor, and San Diego city heart

White duvet and sheets from The Company Store

If you’re a fan of the coral and navy combo, or trellis pattern these bed linens would look fantastic in any bedroom!  Also I love working with Michelle at Festive Home Decor on Etsy, she stitches up the best decorative throw pillows, so be sure to pay her a visit!

Pin It

134 Responses to “Navy + Coral Bedroom”

1. Erin says:

Love this! I have this duvet cover in my room and would love to get the throw pillows. What size pillows did you get?

2. Lauren says:

Hi Kate! Can you find any comparables for the White glass lamp on nightstand and lampshade that you purchased at Target last year? I have looked all over the internet and cant seem to find anything like it. I absoultely LOVE IT! Please help :)

Also any comparables for the coral print pillow? I checked the etsy site you linked and other sites and cant seem to find anything to match.

Thanks for the inspiration Kate!

Lauren

Hi Lauren, PB used to make one like it but they’ve changed the shape, here it is:
    Haven’t been able to find anything like the pillow, coral is surprisingly hard to find!

Hi Erin, I purchased the 20″ x 20″ pillow covers from Festive Home Decor.

5. Amy says:

Do you have any idea what the wall color is? It looks great with the color combination.

6. Jess says:

Hi Kate,

The curtains you linked are discontinued now. Can you provide a similiar option for an replacement? I love the color and fabric of those curtains. Let me know if you know of anything similiar to those. I would appreciate it!!

Thanks,
    Jess

Oh no Jess! It looks like the other colors are still available, they sold out of the gray though, too bad!
    I’ll keep an eye out for something similar..

8. Melissa says:

I just found your website through iowagirleats! I love this room! I think i may have to get this bedspread. Awesome blog!

Thanks Melissa, I love her blog too!

10. Kadie says:

I love everything about this bedroom! I was curious as to where you got the “M” and the coral throw? Thanks!

Hi Kadie, the coral throw is also from Bobby Berke home but you’ll notice it does lean a little more orange than pink. The “M” was hers already, I believe it was purchased at Anthropologie a year ago.

Unfortunately Amy I don’t have the wall color as it was painted before she moved in, so sorry!

13. Tierra says:

Hi Kate!!! I’m totally in love with your blog! Soon much inspiration!! Could you please tell me where you purchased the coral colored throw? I looked in the item listing and didn’t see it mentioned. Thanks! :)

Hi Tierra, thanks so much! I purchased it from Bobby Berke home.

15. Tierra says:

Hey Ladies! For those of you looking for the Scotland curtains from Target; the gray color may be sold out online, but are on clearance in the store! Scored two sets, as recommended, for $9.88!! I felt defeated when I couldn’t find them online because they’re perfect! Imagine the grinch like smile that grew across my face when I saw them with a clearance price tag! DOUBLE SCORE! “Thank You, I’ll take take two, don’t miinnd if I do! Good Luck!

Thanks again Kate! :)

16. Cassie says:

Hi there! Thank you for all of this fabulous information! Im building a house and I want my master bedroom to be just like this! :) do you happen to know the paint color on the walls?

Thank you! Cassie

Hi Cassie, unfortunately I don’t know the wall color!

18. Lindsay says:

LOVE this room! You and your daughter have great taste!

19. Jenna says:

Hi! What a fabulous room and a fabulous blog! I am wondering about the prints on the wall in the first picture. It looks like they are retro pinups maybe? I would love to know where I can purchase prints like these… Thanks!

Hi Jenna, they are retro prints and from original calendars from the 1940s, they were a gift to her from her grandfather’s collection – not sure where you can buy them but I’d do a search for vintage calendar girls, something like that!

21. Caroline says:

This is fantastic. Could you please (please!) tell me what paint you used? I’m having such a hard time finding the perfect gray!

Hi Caroline, I don’t know the name of the paint color but there are a lot of them out there! Revere Pewter by Ben Moore and Comfort Gray by Sherwin Williams are two popular grays!

23. Lauren says:

Hi! I am in love with the duvet cover, but its sold out in full/queen. Are there any similar duvet covers you can reccomend to me in full/queen size?

24. Vanessa says:

Hi
    I’m in the process of redecorating my room and I’m in live with this…. Has given me tons of ideas…. But where did you get the comforter for the bed?

25. Holly says:

CentsationalGirl,

I love the bed from Ikea. Did you find that you had to purchase extra supports? Also, do you have a box springs on their as well?

Thank you for the inspiration!

Hi Holly, no supports and no box spring!

27. Ashley says:

Kate,

I love this room! It so helpful that you have all the links listed for where to buy the stuff in the pictures. Do you have more rooms in your bog somewhere I can also look at with the links?
    Thanks!
    Ashley

28. Melinda says:

Hi! I am in love with the duvet cover, but its sold out in full/queen. Are there any similar duvet covers you reccomend in full/queen size?

I can’t think of any substitutes off the top of my head Melinda, I think if you do an online search for “trellis” or “lattice” or “moraccan” duvet, something might come up.

30. Chelsea Walker says:

Hey! What size are the decorative coral and blue pillows?

I think I ordered 20 x 20″ and a 12 x 16″ but check with Michelle’s shop, she will remember!

32. Parker Hill! says:

I love the entire room i am stealing some of these ideas for my first college apartment! Where did you find the white frames for all of the pictures?

33. Elena Lidia says:

Hi Kate!

Just finished doing my son’s room using the same colors and more masculine accessories. I did find several substitutes for the items that are no available. For the paint, I went with Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray (HC-170); a very neutral gray that makes the navy and coral pop. For the curtains, I found a very similar color at Target: RE Chesapeake Window panels in gray. It looks great; thanks for the inspiration!

34. Jess says:

hi kate,

i used this as inspiration for my guest room! however our other bedroom is already grey…. any other thoughts on wall colors that might work with this bedding color combo?