Navy + Coral Bedroom

September 4, 2012

Greetings all, welcome back from the long holiday!  We had a blast down in So Cal soaking up the sunshine and I spent an afternoon helping my oldest move into a new room in a house she is renting with roommates.  The bedroom is small measuring 10 x 12 feet, but we were able to fill it with a few essentials, mainly a cozy bed, a combination desk plus vanity, and an accent chair for a place to sit.

My stepdaughter is twenty and just moved into her first off campus house so I offered to help her decorate her room when we came down for a family visit to San Diego.  She wanted a youthful sophisticated space filled with navy and coral accents with a Moroccan vibe.  Thankfully the walls were already a nice pale shade of gray so that worked with her color palette.  Here’s a peek at the space we pulled together on Saturday.

The bed is IKEA and the linens are from several sources (see below).  I kept the sheets and duvet white but added those coral and navy accents she loves with a combination of large and small scale pattern.

gray walls trellis linens cg

coral and navy accents cg

The side table I found online and we primed and then painted it a gloss navy blue.  We had a lot of fun out in her backyard painting together, she now knows the power of a can of spray paint, ha!

navy blue pedestal table cg

On the other side of her bed we were able to squeeze in an upholstered sitting chair from Target.  Gray linen like panels hang in front of the window -  if you’re looking for an inexpensive but chic set of gray window panels, I absolutely love these (also from Target, source below) and they come in two lengths, but I recommend doubling them up on each side for fullness.

gray chair coral throw cg

Between the bed and closet I set up a combination desk and vanity for her where she can work on her laptop and also prep for the day.

silver mirror and desk cg

On the wall and desk are some prints I found on Etsy framed in IKEA Ribba frames.

etsy art

This is a fun multitasking lamp made up of pretty ceramic bowls to hold jewelry but will also give her extra light when she studies at night.

jewelry holder lamp on desk

The mirror adds so much sophistication to the space, it’s our favorite accent for sure!

silver quatrefoil mirror cg

I substituted the knobs that came with the desk for some chunky silver ring pulls instead.

new silver ring pulls

I love her acrylic desk chair, it’s modern and fun and visually less bulky since it’s clear material.

acrylic desk chair girls room

Her closet has built in drawers and shelves (whew!) so we didn’t need to find her a dresser.  My daughter picked up the bed and mattress at IKEA last week when she moved in, and I shipped most everything else to her house so we could pull it all together in a day.  She works so hard away at school and makes us so very proud so I was happy to give her the special treatment and invest in a few pieces she will keep for many years.

Room sources:

Bed – Nordli, IKEA

Navy pinstripe pillowcase set – Jersey stripe from Target

Midnight quatrefoil duvet & sham -   Echelon at Bobby Burke home

Coral and navy pillows – Trellis and chevron from Festive Home Decor

Writing Desk – Cami white from Overstock

Desk pulls – Belwith in satin nickel by KnobsnPulls

Swivel Chair -  Rumor acrylic purchased from Overstock but also available here

Silver mirror – Quatrefoil by Shades of Light

Lamp and shade on desk – Just Jewels by PB Teen

Marble storage boxes – DIY project

Blue stripe accent rug – Suite Ribbon by PB Teen

Window panels - Scotland in Gray from Target

Gray side chair + pillow -  Dolce from Target, Privet house pillow no longer avail

Pedestal end table -  Bailey accent spray painted gloss navy

Picture Frame – Coral chevron by Anthropologie

White glass lamp on nightstand purchased at Target last year

Etsy art – Squirrel, Anchor, and San Diego city heart

White duvet and sheets from The Company Store

If you’re a fan of the coral and navy combo, or trellis pattern these bed linens would look fantastic in any bedroom!  Also I love working with Michelle at Festive Home Decor on Etsy, she stitches up the best decorative throw pillows, so be sure to pay her a visit!

Pin It

134 Responses to “Navy + Coral Bedroom”

1. What a great look! I love how Coral has managed to transcend from a springy color in the coral+mint trend, into this new, more fall-appropriate (without being dreary!) combo with Navy. And the pattern combinations used! I wish I was as confident in my own decorating! Maybe I’ll be adding some more coral in my own place. :)

2. Fabulous space! If I had a room like that at 20, I would have been over the moon. It’s the perfect combo of youth, style, and sophistication. Love the bedding. :)

3. I would take this bedroom at almost-30! It looks fantastic, and I especially am loving the acrylic chair and monogrammed throw pillow. :)

4. Kristen says:

Wow, love it! What a cute room. I can tell you my college bedrooms looked nothing like this, haha!

5. Emily says:

I remember moving into my first apartment at college, so exciting! I love the color combo and all the little details in the room come together perfectly. My favorites are the mirror, the cute anchor art, and the multi-use lamp! Can you do this to my room?! ;) Jk, of course.

6. vel says:

Such a pretty, preppy space!!!! I love that chair too!!! It really “disappears” and perfect for a cool gal like her. I must say, I have a lot of this stuff around my home already, only spread out over differents spaces – quatrefoil bedding (have mine in green) in my bedroom, target sheet in my sons room & quatrefoil mirror in black along my staricase! maybe I should merge them all together just like you did!!! Great job – I’m sure she is thrilled with her space. :-)

7. I love the coral and navy combo! this is a great inspirational space!!

8. Berenice says:

Pretty space, love the chairs! Hope you had a chance to get out and see some sights here in SD this weekend!! Paint cans optional….

9. Erin says:

Absolutely beautiful! I just love the colors & the lamp is fab!

10. Monica says:

I love this room! Amazing job & has given me lots of ideas for my blog room aka guest room too:-)
    Can’t wait to get Target here in Canada. Love that lamp too!

11. So classic with a touch of trendy! I’m such a fan of that color combo, and I really love the mix of patterns and prints – gorgeous!

12. What a gorgeous room Kate! Love that PBTeen Lamp!

13. RachelSD says:

Beautiful room! Wish my first apartment had looked like that! :)

Hope you had a great time here in SD.

14. Veronica says:

Beautiful color palette and that lamp is genius!

15. Megan says:

What a lucky girl! You’re a great mom. :)

16. Lisaroy says:

So pretty! My first place didn’t even come close to being that chic!

17. Jamie says:

Wow! Wish I had that kind of room when I was in college! Great look!

18. Brandy says:

I’d like to see how you made the marble storage boxes! Love those! And the whole room!

19. Wow! Love the sophisticated mix of colors and patterns. I so wish my first apartment had looked so put together. I still cringe over the fake flower garland I had up above my bedroom door – yikes!

20. Oh, Kate. It’s fantastic. What a lucky girl. It really is so pretty. I am in love with that mirror and the cute M on the wall, too. All done so well. Thanks for sharing.

21. I’m in love with that lamp. Best wishes to your daughter!

22. It’s a gorgeous room, and I love the color combo! I’m loving that chair also; where is it from? Fabulous job; I’m sure she is loving it!!

23. Carmel says:

Wow – what a lucky girl she is to have you! I love the whole space but the acrylic chair and that bowl lamp are my absolute favs! Everything in this space could be used for many many years to come too – perfect!

24. Im a terrible commenter, but went thru the steps when I saw this. This is 100% what I want my bedroom to look like – you just made my job so easy!! Xoxo

25. Tete says:

What a beautiful room. I really like the lamp. I’m currently working on my on walk-in closet and that would fit perfectly. I’m really impressed, thanks for sharing!

26. Elizabeth H says:

Love this room. The mirror is gorgeous.

27. Wow, so cool! She must love it. The navy and coral are definitely a favorite of mine when combined. The acrylic chair is so modern and fun. It adds a nice sophisticated young adult touch :)

28. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

29. kristin says:

What a perfect room for a twenty year old, she is lucky to have you! so you got a feel of our HOT san Diego weather while you were here. I’m ready for fall :) have a great week.
    xo
    kristin

30. StagerLinda says:

You did so much in this small space! It is so gorgeous and functional. I love your color palatte. The acrylic chair is p-e-r-f-e-c-t! I also think the lamp is funky and fun. Outstanding room! I know she loves you and your talents.

31. Its beautiful! She will be the envy of all her friends! I’m loving the lamp! Did you make it? Is there a tutorial coming…..I hope!

32. Wow! My rooms in college never looked half as amazing as this! Actually, my bedroom now still doesn’t!

The lamp is not a DIY Jody! Wish it was! It’s from PB Teen – link below.

Thanks so much Kristen!!!

35. Sarah says:

What a GORGEOUS room. I love all the white paired with the navy and coral. What a lucky girl. Not many college students have a room that awesome! Thanks for sharing.

36. susan says:

Love it! My twins are living in San Diego , and we plan on moving there as soon as our house in OR is sold-can’t wait to live by the beach again ( hubby and I grew up near the ocean).

My son just did his rental room in greys/neutrals-and he has the Scotland curtains as well. They look awesome in his space, as they do in your niece’s. Gotta ♥ Tar-jhay :)

My daughter is more glam/Hollywood, and her room is pale, pale pink-I call it grown up pink-with grey velvet curtains and white bed, bookshelf, etc. They are both working on art for their spaces now-and son has an ETSY shop should you ever need inexpensive but original paintings-

37. Arty says:

VEry nicely put together and like the navy coral combo…

38. Leslie says:

Absolutely gorgeous! What a lucky girl! Amazing! My oldest is in college, but he’s a boy and basically wanted a few posters and frig! lol!

39. Bobby Berk says:

Looks great! Love the bedding ;-)

40. Caroline says:

Wow! Everything is pulling double duty! If only my college room looked as sophisticated!

41. Allison says:

It looks fantastic Kate! I bet your daughter’s friends are lining up for you to help them now! You put everything together so beautifully. Sophisticated, colorful and classy. She is a lucky young lady. I’ve bought several pillows from Michelle. She does lovely work and a real sweetheart to work with. That chair is a fun find from Target. Great fabric!

42. Louise M says:

Everything is Gorgeous! Love that tiered lamp..

43. I can’t explain how much I LOVE this room!! Every detail is spot on! Definitely going to be purchasing some of the pieces you used. Thanks for sharing the Festive Home Decor Shop!! GREAT JOB!!

44. I absolutely adore this room! LOVE the mirror, curtains, bedding EVERYTHING!!!

45. Wow that room is gorgeous! I love all the details. And what a cool lamp! I’ve never seen one like that before. Great finds!!

46. Kathy says:

I absolutely love what you have done and so age appropriate, modern and funky as well. She is very lucky to have such wonderful talent to give her such a lovely present….totally love the colour palete.
    Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

47. Jacqueline says:

So pretty Kate! Your stepdaughter is one lucky young women to have such a beautiful room.

Thanks for sharing your resources too. I found a couple new some decor websites today. Much appreciated!

48. Jessica says:

Kate – could you tell us more about the marble storage boxes? I see they were DIY, and I’d love to try to replicate them. They are gorgeous! Thanks so much.

49. Amanda says:

This is an amazing room! Love it!

50. Melissa Cable says:

Are you using the navy and white duvet cover as just a throw or for color, or is it actually stuffed with a duvet. I looked it up because I love it but you are pairing it with another duvet so i was just curious about the “makeup” of this bed. I am clueless as the the basics of a well made/designed bed.

Hi Jessica, I’ll share the ‘how to’ on the boxes later this week!

52. Jillian says:

looks amazing! would have loved this room for my first off campus apartment!
    i apologize if i missed this in the comments… but where is the fabric M from?

Hi Melissa, I bought her two lightweight comforters for inside the duvet covers – the main white is for sleeping, the quatrefoil is for decoration and/or for more chilly nights. If you want a few tips on a well made bed, here’s a helpful article, it’s mostly focused on comfort and layers! http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/08/secrets-of-a-well-dressed-bed/

54. Alicia says:

I love this color combo! Everything is gorgeous!

55. ok, i wish my room had looked like this in college! love the duvet and crisp white/navy combo. this is amazing! great job!

56. The room looks beautiful. My first “grown up” room was not this sophisticated. I would have loved to have had one like this. I am sure she appreciates all the time and creativity you put into it. Plus it gave you an excuse to spend some extra time with her.

57. Allison says:

Kate, May I ask where you found the coral throw you have on the chair? Thanks!

58. Wow! What a beautiful space!! What a lucky girl your step-daughter is to have you design her room!! It is absolutely stunning!! I love the desk/vanity & how clever is that lamp/jewelry holder?! Genius!! I also LOVE that little side table you found & spray painted! It works perfectly as a nightstand!! Beautiful job Kate!

59. Wow! This is unlike any college room I’ve ever seen. So sophisticated and practical, too. I’m kind of obsessed with the desk chair an the linens. And I’m thinking I ought to paint our end tables a fun color now. I’m totally inspired by the space. And I’d love to know how you hide the cords for the lamps. My side tables always look a mess.

60. Melissa Cable says:

Don’t feel like you have to respond again. But after reading the makeup of a bed article and seeing your room, it appears she and you ascribe to using two lighter weight duvets, one more for decoration, or as a blanket. I guess having a duvet as your main blanket, or the item closest to your skin is different than what I am used to. Where do you see a quilt or blanket fitting in, which is what we have always done, a nice quilt or blanket with a duvet (which always seems to end up on the floor and finally put away during the summer). I haven’t quite figured out how to make a bed practical and pretty for year round!

61. WOW! This is one of the prettiest rooms I have ever seen. I just love the color palette. :-) Great job!

62. Jeannette says:

Kate, your rooms are always beautiful! Am particularly impressed with how you thought to change the pulls on the desk. It’s your attention to details like this that make your rooms so special.

63. I love this room! What a great color combo, I absolutely love that bedding!! All of her roomies will be jealous for sure!

64. Stacy says:

LOVE the room! When I click on the Anthropologie frame, the link comes up with a “pink” chevron frame, not coral. I want to order this for my daughter’s bedroom, but want to ask you…does it say pink, but it LOOKS coral, or are they maybe out of the coral one? Could you let me know?!? Thanks!!!

65. Cathy says:

This room is brilliant! Your rooms are so inspirational. Question: How do you BEGIN to decorate a room? You started with a gray box. Do you decide on a color palate and pick out the big pieces first
    ( like bed, desk, chair)? Do you see all of the colors and fabrics in person, or do you find them online ( like the throw pillows and the Target chair) and order them, hoping for the best?
    God Bless you, Girl, you truly are Censational!
    Cathy

66. I adore this room! the coral + navy combo is just amazing.

67. This turned out so cute. I’m amazed that desk chair is only $150.

68. Angela J. says:

Wow….now I don’t like my bedroom at all….thanks Kate! lol……
    I’m now very inspired to give my own bedroom an update.
    Your designs always brighten my day ♥!!

69. What a beautiful room…love that you made a muti-purpose desk/vanity…such a gorgeous room to retreat to….I am sure she is beyond thrilled with the room you so lovingly created for her!…

70. I love that desk setup!!!

71. Gina says:

I see an anchor in a frame. Is she a Delta Gamma?

72. Absolutely stunning! Maybe I would have studied more in college if my room had been a place I wanted to be. ;-)

73. Pamela says:

Perfect! I love the mix of patterns and that desk chair….fabulous!

74. KathleenKauffman says:

I also want to know what Cathy asked… how do you even start!! You are so talented… You should be on HGTV’s Design Star! That would be fun to watch you on there!

75. Alison Burtt says:

I love the new room! It’s so pretty and sophisticated–just what you were going for. I also really appreciate how detailed you are in giving sources. I’m a big fan of navy accents myself so I may pick up a few of these pieces for our living room and bath.

By the way, I used KnobsnPulls for the Parisian cafe-type knobs on our kitchen cabinets, which I painted and changed the hardware on. Their service was really good and the knobs came super fast! I can definitely recommend them wholeheartedly.

Thanks for sharing!

76. What a beautiful room!

Thanks Alison, I agree with you on KnobsNPulls !

Oh wow too kind Kathleen! We sat down a few weeks ago with the room measurements and decided on essentials, investing in a decent bed, nice linens, and a desk/mirror combo she will keep for years to come. We were both happy the room was already painted gray which gave us a neutral palette. For color inspiration, we looked at fabric swatches (usually where I begin) and she kept coming back to navy and coral. I love that combo too so I went on the hunt for accessories in those two colors. She loves the trellis and quatrefoil patterns – she spent a month in Istanbul this past summer studying so she was influenced by all of those Mediterranean inspired patterns. I think that’s the key, choosing colors and patterns that make you happy and then going in search of them. All of the bedding and accessory selections were given a thumbs up by my girl so I ordered them! It was a great “team” effort and so much fun!!

Good eye Gina!!!!

80. Gorgeous!!! I wish that were my room!

Hi Stacy, I thought the same thing about the Anthro frame, it is in between pink and coral if you ask me, but closer to coral and so pretty with the bone detail!

82. Catherine says:

Beautiful room–but I especially LUV the 3-tiered lamp holding the earrings! What a fantastic idea!
    Catherine

83. Hadley says:

Wow, if only you had posted this a month ago I would have stolen the entire room when I got into my new apartment! I love it all but especially the color combo and the duvet pattern!

84. so so pretty, chic, youthful and fresh…she’s a lucky girl! I’m sure it’s the best looking room in the whole house!

85. Christine says:

What an awesome stepmom! I am sure that she is very comfy and very thankful. It is a beautiful room.

86. Denise says:

That is a beautiful room. You are so talented and creative. Love your blog.

87. Jen says:

Simply splendid! Such a sweet and fresh color combination with so many thought about touches. She is a lucky lady, you created her a haven that she can easily take with her and use for many years in any home.

xo,
    Jen

88. Kelsey says:

My wedding colors were navy, coral and peach! It turned out absolutely gorgeous and this bedroom reminds me of it. Beautiful, fun, sophisticated!

89. Jenni says:

Where are the pinup prints from? Exactly what I’ve been looking for!!

90. Kate this room is gorgeous! I love the whole room, but both of those lamps completely caught my eye. I have been thinking about spray painting my silver lamps white and maybe even painting the lamp shade or maybe putting fabric on the shade instead and now I definitely want to paint it white. I have blue/gray walls, so it will look great as well. :) And the other lamp, I can see lots of people making that their next DIY project for sure. That is so cute for jewelry. :)

Do you know if you can spray paint burlap lamp shades? What they look good or turn out weird looking with the paint over the burlap? Thanks Kate!!! :)

Hi Jenni, they are old calendar prints from the 1940s, given to her by her grandfather! Wish I could link to them but they are originals, lucky girl!

92. Catherine says:

This is stunning!

93. Stacie says:

Hi! I just found your blog via pinterest and I am in love!!! I’m especially in love with this room and the color combination. It has inspired me to do my guest room in these same colors. I was wondering if you had any idea on what the wall color in this room is or if you might know of a similar color? I have the hardest time committing to a color to paint my walls. Thank you so much!!!

94. mypatsyann says:

Wow….the best bedroom I have seen in a long time. You are amazing with “big picture” planning but also with all the tiniest details. I’ve gotten so many ideas just from this one post. Again… wow! Thanks for sharing.

95. Karrie says:

GORGEOUS! Love the mix of patterns! Thanks for the inspiration!

96. Jenelle Ricci @ Del Mar Fans & Lighting says:

I just love love love this bedroom! It is such a beautiful and sophisticated color pallet! I literally love all of the products in this room. My favorites however are the sitting chair from Target, the patterned bed duvet and the lamp and shade on the desk. This room totally makes me want to redecorate.

Hi Stacie, it was a light gray and unfortunately I didn’t have any of my fan decks with me or I could have color matched it! My best recommendation is to find a whole bunch of swatchs and then pick a few test samples, that’s the best way to find out if your gray reads as a true gray, or if it leans more green, blue, or lavender.

98. Maddison says:

Hello all!

This is my room and I am so incredibly grateful to have such a gracious and talented woman in my life to do this for me! I am so happy with it and think it is great for my first house, and I know I will use most all of these pieces well into my future! I appreciate all the great comments on my room and am so happy that you all are giving Kate the great recognition she deserves!

Lots of love and thanks,
    Mad

P.s. I am a Delta Gamma, and thats why we went with the Anchor in the frames. :) Always Anchored.

99. Sue says:

Wow what an amazing room! Your step daughter is lucky to have you! Making her college room such a stellar place to study and rest is not what most students expect!

100. Mindy says:

LOVE this and pinning, for myself (an adult!) so sophisticated, clean, yet makes a statement! Thank you so much for the sources