Ten Things to Hang Above The Bed
August 1, 2012
My friend is redoing her master bedroom and can’t decide what to hang above her bed. I told her there are a medley of options available, from mirrors to artwork to nothing at all. Her dilemma got me thinking … so I came up with ten different ideas for what to hang or display above a bed in a master or guest bedroom.
1. Mirrors, Large and Small. A mirror is a natural choice since large or small, they create an instant focal point above the bed. You can always balance out a large scale piece with smaller artwork off to the side above the nightstands.
2. Black and White Photographs. A series of black and white photographs framed above a bed is always a sophisticated classic – the bigger the better!
3. Artwork. An inspiring work of art is a perfect choice for placing focus above the bed and a great place to look for cues when choosing a color palette for a room.
4. Salvage. A rustic or antique piece of wood or iron provides amazing contrast against the softness of bed linens. Salvaged doors are repurposed as a headboard to give character to Maria’s relaxing bedroom below.
Better Homes & Gardens
5. Canopy or Cornice. Elegant and tailored, a fabric canopy is a sure way to soften the bedroom and give an enclosed and enveloping feel to the bed.
Alexa Hampton via Habitually Chic
6. Trays or Plates. With so many decorative platters, trays, and plates available, both new and vintage, why not use them vertically instead? Create an artistic arrangement for a unique statement.
7. Whimsy. Butterfly sculptures or feather juju hats? Sure! It’s your bedroom, be playful and add a dose of personality with something quirky cool and unexpected.
8. Wallpaper or Stencil. A repeating pattern in wallpaper stands on its own and rarely needs further embellishment, although a mirror on top looks great too! Pair coordinated bedding to complete the look.
9. Curtains. There’s no rule that requires beds be against a wall, in fact some rooms make that impossible. While technically not hung above, but off to the side, curtains are the finishing touch to a bed that sits under a window, just be sure to have light blocking shades behind them for catching extra ZZZs.
Better Homes & Gardens
10. Nothing. Who says something above your bed is a must? Not true, especially with a statement like a four poster or bold upholstered headboard. Art, mirrors, windows, or lamps on each side are often enough. The emptiness above the bed gives the eye a place to rest and adds to the serenity.
What’s hanging above your bed? Something mentioned on the list? Nothing? Still on the hunt? Do tell.