Interview with My Children

April 11, 2012

I like to talk to my kids just before they go to bed, I get the best bits of information when they’re snuggled under the covers.  I saw a great idea for a conversation starter on Pinterest and decided to ask them the same questions the other night before bed.

I love the frankness of children, they don’t hesitate to tell you their heart’s desires.  Here are a few of their answers and all I can say is I think my daughter’s perfect day is spot on.

8 year old daughter

6 year old son

When are you (or have you been) most afraid? When my dog died. I am never afraid.
What was the happiest day of your life? The day I got my kitten Coconut. When I got my Lego Millennium Falcon.
If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be? I want there to be no bad guys and no pit bulls. I wish Legoland was closer.
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I wish I was taller. I wish I was taller and bigger and stronger.
What is the one thing you could not live without? My kitten. My Legos and my family.

girl and kitten

What is your favorite movie? Anything with Bugs Bunny. Star Wars and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
What cartoon character would you most like to be? Tweety Bird Scooby Doo
What is the worst thing about being 8 (or 6) years old? I don’t like to wake up early for school. Nothing.
What is the best thing about being 8 (or 6) years old? A lot of birthday parties with my friends. Doing anything I want at kindergarten
Describe your perfect day. Donuts for breakfast, swimming with my friends at the pool all day, and a yummy dinner with cookies for dessert. Recess all day, then playing with my sister, then sleeping with my Mom.
What job would you like to have when you grow up? I think I will be an artist and a designer. I will build tall buildings.
Who are your best friends and why? Ava and Mikah and Stella because they are nice and they share and they are so much fun. Noah because he builds Legos with me and Jack because he let’s me play his Mario Brothers game. And my sister because she’s funny.

boy with legos

I also pinned this list of questions too, these ones were questions about what kids think of their Moms.  So I asked mine too.  Some of their answers really made me laugh, others gave me great comfort.

8 year old daughter

6 year old son

What does Mom always say to you? I’ll be right there. I love you.
What makes Mom happy? Kisses. Me.
What makes Mom sad? When we opened presents on Christmas morning without her. Mean people.
How does Mom make you laugh? She tickles me. She makes crazy faces.
What was Mom like as a child? She was a smart in school. She drank milk.
How old is Mom? 38 38
How tall is Mom? 5 feet I think. As tall as a shelf and Dad is as tall as a door.
What is Mom’s favorite thing to do? Read magazines with me. Family movie night.
What does Mom do when you’re not around? She cries when I’m gone. She works on her computer.
What is Mom really good at? Painting and sewing things. Being nice.
What is Mom really bad at? She’s not good at drawing, I am better. Building models, Dad is better.
What does Mom do for her job? She works on her computer. She paints things.
What is Mom’s favorite food? Yucky hummus. I think it’s soup.
If Mom was a cartoon character, who would she be? Yosemite Sam. Sandy the Squirrel (from Sponge Bob.)
How are you and Mom the same? We have the same eyes. We have the same teeth.
How are you and Mom different? We have different hair. My eyes are darker brown.
How do you know your Mom loves you? She kisses me and tells me. I just know it.
Where is Mom’s favorite place to go? Home. Home.

kate and kids

It’s an enlightening thing, interviewing your children, they will always remind you of the sweetness of youth and of the things that are most important.  I highly recommend taking a moment to interview a child, there is always something to learn about yourself that only they seem to know.

141 Responses to “Interview with My Children”

1. My career requires I interview people for a living. Your interview is better than any I’ve ever done!

2. Awww this is the cutest thing ever! I can’t wait until my daughter gets older and I can interview her hehehe.

3. Kate says:

That last answer from them both gave me goosebumps. You sound like a wonderful mom.

4. Jessica says:

What is the worst thing about being 6 years old? Nothing! Love that answer! This is a cute thing to do.

5. Kristin says:

precious!! my favorite are how tall is mom? and how do you know she loves you! sounds like a home full of love…what sweet memories you are making for your children : ) thanks for sharing!

6. Paige says:

This was adorable! We don’t have any kids yet, but I’m filing this away for the future.

7. Mary says:

I was really impressed that your son included his sister in his favorite things! What a great idea, loved some of their answers, lol.

8. Sandy says:

I so enjoyed reading that, thank you so much for sharing it with us! It would be great to interview them several times a year to see if/how their answers change.

9. Tiffany says:

Why does your daughter want a world without pit bulls?

10. This is so sweet.

I am filing this away for if I ever have kids.

11. This is such a sweet survey! I love all of their answers (I was laughing and “aww”-ing as I read it).

12. That is too sweet. I think I may have to do the same thing. My kids are 22, 20, 17 and 10. It would be interesting to see how the perspectives change from 10 to 17… a scary thought ;)

Have a great day Kate!

13. Carmel says:

I’m totally doing this! The lego loving boy’s answers are hilarious! I wish Legoland was closer too – love that place! I feel so blessed to have one of each – girl and boy. It’s amazing how different their minds work and my boy makes me understand my hub in a whole new way. Love that pic of you with them – it needs a frame! SO very sweet!

14. Kara says:

i’ve been doing a series of guest posts where each guest interviews their child or children. it’s been so much fun to see the different answers from kids of all ages. i am going to have do a part 2 with my littles with the questions about mom. so fun. your interviews are so sweet. i love that your son thinks there’s nothing bad about being 6.

15. karen s says:

That was so cute! your children are beautiful I will do this with my grandaughter thank you for all of your aming gifts.

16. amy wilsch says:

awww cute; I hope you will tell your daughter that it’s not the pit bulls’ fault but the bad owners who abuse, breed and don’t control them /off my soapbox now :)

17. Your best post ever! SO much fun.

18. Amy Rosa says:

Thanks for the Wednesday morning smile, Kate. Sooo precious!

19. Amanda Eck says:

oh this is priceless!! thank you for sharing this! Such precious answers- and I love how there is actually a similarity between Yosemite Sam & Sandy -they are both go getters and make things happen!

20. This was so lovely, Kate. What a beautiful post, and beautiful idea! I can’t wait to do this with my little girl!

21. Andrea says:

what a great thing to do! My daughters preschool did something similar and the answers were hilarious! I will have to try to this version with my 2 girls, 4.5 and 8 )

22. Jen Migonis says:

That was sooo sweet. I loved all of their answers… They are hysterical, Kate. :)

23. this is freaking incredible!!!!! you sound soooo wonderful. i’ve learned more about you from this one post than i ever did reading your blog over the years. this is very touching!!

i would like to do the same thing with my kids, but i’d be afraid of their answers!!!

thanks for this post

angie

24. michele says:

I am DYING to know – Why Yosemite Sam???

25. Rose says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. It’s amazing to remember what kids think. I want to steal some of those thoughts for myself.

26. Janie says:

That is sooo sweet!

27. Candace says:

Sweet post, I need to take the time to do this with my kids. I had to laugh at how differently boys and girls think. My boys would totally think of Legos and Spongebob as some of their most important things.

28. Sarah says:

This is so fun! I don’t have kids, but it seems like a wonderful thing to do with them & get into their heads a little bit. So cute!

29. Christina says:

I am so doing this tonight!! I love it!! Can’t wait to hear what they have to say :) Good stuff!!

30. Kathy C. says:

That was seriously the cutest thing I’ve ever read! You have some amazing kids!

31. Crystal says:

I am so doing this :) So sweet!

32. This was so fun, I will be asking my little one a few quetions tonight.

33. Diane says:

I hope you save this forever. What sweet answers — I can tell your kids have a wonderful life and feel very loved.

34. Angela says:

How adorable!! Thanks for the idea! My almost 2 year old may be too young but I’m looking forward to the interesting answers my 10 year will have!

35. cassie says:

this is so sweet! i love the second set- adorable! and i think our sons would get along… i did an interview with my kids for another blogger in feb and here is a question with sawyer’s answer:
    what would you do with $100?
    S: i would send it for like the lego man. he puts it in his cash.

basically he wants to just donate to lego. :) and most of his other answers were star wars related. and i think he shares the same happiest moment! :)

36. Jeannie says:

Beautiful…just beautiful

37. Wow, this is so incredibly sweet! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

38. This is an amazing idea! Such a beautiful thing for you and for them to look back on in the future! Your children are too sweet. Love the difference in answers between the boy and the girl.

39. Tracy K says:

I loved reading this! I will definitely try it on my own kids, but they’re a little older so we’ll see! ;)
    My favorite parts were that your son thinks his sister is funny! That is rare considering how much my boys fight & argue!
    I also like the fact that your daughter pictures you home crying all day while she’s gone. :)
    Thanks for sharing!

40. julie says:

My perfect day too!! Your kids are precious and you are a great mom!!!

41. Kathy says:

The kitty wrapped in a blanket totally reminded me of being a kid. I know I did the same thing many times. Love it.

42. *love* this, Kate! Especially the last answer: home.

43. Darcell East says:

My children are my world too!

44. Ashley says:

This is so sweet! you have a beautiful family :)

I was really sad to see that your daughter wishes there were no pit bulls in the world :( I have no children myself so my dog is my baby and she’s a pit. I call her my suggle-bull because she’s the most loving dog I’ve ever had. It breaks my heart when I hear that people think she shouldn’t exisit just because of her breed. I’ve been very proactive to teach people that its not the breed thats dangerous its irresponsible and neglectful owners that are dangerous and any breed of dog can do harm if they are not loved.

I wish we weren’t on opposite ends of the country I would love to have you and your daughter over for a tea-party, my pup loves to dress up and eat buscuits like a proper little girl (my god-daughters doing).

I hope I don’t sound negative! I love your blog and respect all you do and I know your daughter just wants everyone to live in a happy and safe world which is very selfless of her btw :)

If you have the time you should check out this blog about a couple of silly pitties: http://pittiesincity.blogspot.com/2012/04/bridging-gaps-one-pit-bull-at-time.html

45. K says:

Great post! Truly adorable. However, I’m sorry to hear your daughter imagines a world without pit bulls. :( My ‘daughter’, our 5 year old pit bull, is a therapy dog to disabled children…

46. This was the sweetest interview. I think your sound is on the right track playing with Legos if he wants to build tall buildings for a living.

47. Ann V. says:

Kate, This is SO sweet!!! Your son reminds me so much of mine at the age of six! And my favorite answer…when asked how he knows if you love him, he says, “I just know”!!! Well done, Mom! Oh, and love that they know your favorite place is home…mine too :)

48. I LOVE this! I think my favorite are the questions about you – I love that you drank milk as a kid, or that you’re as tall as the shelf!

I’m so repinnning these questions!

49. Oh my gosh, I just loved this. Some are so moving! It’s clear that your children know how much you love them, and that’s the most important thing. My favorite was “you’re as tall as a shelf, and dad’s as tall as a door”. You should save these to show them when they’re older!

50. Kolein says:

I love this! It is so simple and sweet!

Thank you for doing this post!

xo
    ~K

Hi K, yes she overheard one of the “bad” stories about pit bulls and somehow has it in her head that they’re bad for some reason. I know of many that are not, but that’s her honesty coming through!

52. Sarah says:

I agree with Ashley.

I have a pit-bull puppy and he is world’s cutest and sweetest. I couldn’t imagine life without him. I have several nieces and nephews (ranging from 3-10) and they adore and love Bailey; as does he them.

I feel sorry for your daughter.

53. Kristen says:

Love it! I chuckle every time I read something about your son… he is EXACTLY like my 5 yr old son- it’s all about Legos and Star Wars:)

Hi Michelle, whenever Looney Tunes cartoons are on, I’ll always sit down for the Yosemite Sam v. Bugs Bunny ones. They crack me up so I guess she associates my affection for Yosemite Sam with me? LOL. :)

55. maude says:

Wonderful! I had a teacher turn the tables on the parents when my daughter was in 7th grade. She asked us to write a one page description of our child. I spent a couple of hours working on the assignment and ended up with a document that is very precious to me. It was a snapshot, through my eyes, of the beautiful and wondrous girl at age 11… Just before the teenage years slam dunked the remaining naivete.

Hi Tiffany, like I said before, she overheard a bad story in the news so that was her answer that day. We’ve educated her that there are well trained pit bulls, in fact a friend of ours has a breed which is the sweetest dog in the world.

57. Jenny says:

That was so sweet! Thanks for sharing. I love that your daughter is under the impression that you cry when she isn’t around, hilarious. I also really love that what you always say is “I’ll be right there”. Oh that is classic. I think I will have to try this out and see how it goes!

Jenny

58. Jane says:

So precious…thanks for sharing!

59. Shea says:

I absolutely love this! Thanks for caring Kate. My favoriite part is how much oyur children seem to know you love them. It is awesome! :) Have a wonderful day.

60. So sweet…thanks for sharing. I rember those precious moments tucking my boys in to bed every night and talking about their day…and life in general. It was my favorite part of my day. Now they stay up later than me…and usually come in to tuck me in – Ha! – the tables are turning already!

61. Nancy says:

This is so insightful Kate..That first set really shows how girls and boys think differently..It is so sweet that your son loves being with his sister so much..And their answers to questions about you..I think they know you pretty well Kate and they realize just how much they are loved..The last answer is truly the best because every kid should be made to feel that..There’s No Place Like Home!!! Hugs

62. This is very sweet, and definitely a keepsake. Totally doing this!

I like it when you share these snapshots of family life between DIY projects.
    You are doing a wonderful job mothering and enjoying your children, it shows in your kiddos responses!

Enjoy,
    Jay

63. Veronica says:

That is super sweet. I will have to try this with my lil guys. It is humbling to see yourself through your kids eyes. The things that are “not that important” are ginormous to them. I love that you are as tall as a shelf and your hubby is as tall as a door. :) Have a great week!

64. Emily says:

This is so sweet! It sounds like you and your husband are amazing parents.

65. OH MY GOSH, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

66. Hi Kate- :) you will cherish this post forever – So sweet. Love the photo of your daughter with her kitten and her response to what Mom always says to you. That made me laugh out loud as my girls would have responded with the same answer.

Adorable post XO

My best- Diane

67. Sara says:

This is adorable! Love it!

68. This is so sweet! When my son is older I would love to ask him these questions. It’s so cute to see that your son loves to play with his big sis. I’m expecting #2 later this year and hope my kids will enjoy each other’s company (when they’re not arguing, of course!).

69. Ashley says:

Kate, I apologize, I wasn’t my intention to start anything about pit bulls. Unfortunately we live in a society where its more interesting to hear about pit bull attacks on the news, because let face it, stories about slobbery dog kisses doesn’t generate viewers or ratings. I hope just hope that not only your daughter but other kids don’t grow up to be afraid of the breed as a direct result of the media. Of course, all dogs should be approached with caution and respect but above all love. I’m so happy to hear you are educating her about the breed and exposing her to them.

btw, I cannot wait to interview my god-daughter! :)

70. Ah! This is so dang cute! I can’t wait to have kids. I keep looking at my watch, then at my boyfriend and say to him “I’m getting old here!” Kids are the best. Great pic by the way!

71. Carrie says:

I love the height: shelf and door. Great questions about their ideas of Mom.

72. sarah says:

so sweet. thanks for sharing. my little guy already answers lots of questions, and today he started saying things he would share with the baby that is coming. he decided the baby would knock on the door, and off he went to answer it. i had to tell him that it would be a while before the baby came (nov) and he would be a big boy then. too fun.

73. I absolutely love this post. So sweet and so true! I got the biggest laugh from your sons response to how tall is Mom? So clever and amazing that a young child learns to associate things like that! Thanks for sharing. :)

74. Dawn says:

What a sweet post. My favorite is mom’s favorite place, Home. I love that. They both answered the same, I know your home is beautiful to look at and must be full of heart too.

75. Thank you so much for sharing – I loved reading this post :)

76. chrissi says:

I Love this post. Love that your children just know you love them and that they know you love home.
    That pretty much says it all.

77. Melody says:

This is so great! My oldest two are 9 and 7–I’m going to ask them these questions too. It is refreshing to view life through the eyes of a child!

78. Karen says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am going to use a version of this on a long trip I have planned with my boys, who are 11 and 13. Somehow I don’t think all the answers will be as warm and fuzzy as your children’s! But, that aside, it should launch some interesting discussions!

79. Rachel says:

Those are precious! Your son has a lot of confidence…awesome.
    Thanks for sharing!

80. rach says:

I almost cried reading this and I don’t even have children! This is so cute! What a fantastic idea to interview your kids!

81. This is really sweet and great idea to have an open bond communication with kids. Will pin this to save it untill we have kids

82. What a sweet idea! I can’t wait till E is of an age where we can do this. It would be fun to do this every birthday and see how the answers change.

Thanks for sharing!

83. I absolutely love this…and am inspired to try the same with my 8yr old son! Thanks for sharing such special moments with your children with us!

84. Laura says:

You are obviously doing a great job as a mom- love this post!

85. Debbie says:

How adorable are they both! Love this post!!

86. These are great questions, and I love the spirit of your kids’ answers. They’re great answers!!! It’s always so interesting as adults the spin we put on what we think their answers will be… my now husband was going through divorce and asked his teenage son if there was anything stressing him out – thinking that naturally the answer would be all about the divorce. The actual answer, ‘yah, math.’

Thanks for sharing!

87. Michele Owens says:

I’m officically in tears! This was so dear & so sweet! I’m praying to have the title of “Mom” one day soon. We’re going thru our first cycle of IVF. Thanks for sharing Kate!

88. Lizzie says:

Utterly adorable. I don’t even have kids and that made me feel a little…emotional. LOL.

89. pat smith says:

Love this! I just asked my 4 year-old son a few questions – he was smiling as he was telling me how we are the same! I am going to print these out so my husband and I can both ask a few more questions.

90. Lynne says:

This is excellent . . . I have a 17 and 18 year old graduating this year. I am doing memory books and visual, kind of like power point, of their lives. I am going to adapt this somewhat and interview them this weekend when we are together for a delayed Easter family time and birthday celebration .
    Great idea . . . thanks!

91. Kathy :) says:

OMG I love this post Kate, makes me long for feetiieeee PJ’s and my kids to be little again, seems like yesterday mine were 8 and 5 :)

All the best,
    Kathy :)

92. Michelle says:

Thank you for posting this. it’s one of those things we can put in their baby books that will bring years of enjoyment and smiles when read.

93. So sweet and touching! My little guy is six and really into Legos right now, I’m pretty sure his answers would be very similar. I love seeing the differences in the answers between your boy and girl. Great post!!!

94. Very cute and inspiring questions also! I loved your sons answers about the Lego’s, my son is the same age and his answers would probably be similar. I’ll have to rattle off a few of those questions tonight (we chat before sleepy time also). Great post!

95. Rachel says:

This was so cute! Your sons answers were so great. He’s very confident! I was so impressed with how he compared you to a shelf and his father to a door. Clever!

Like others, I was bummed out when I saw your daughter’s answer regarding pit bulls. However, her love for her past dog and kitten really came through. She’s obviously an animal lover (just like myself) and will one day see that pit bulls aren’t all bad.
    We shouldn’t blame the child, but rather, the news for making pit bulls a subject of such evilness. Like you said, you’re informing her that all pit bulls aren’t bad, which is true. Education is key for this issue – for both sides of the stories – and for all ages.

Either way, I really enjoyed this interview. Quite cute.

96. amanda says:

Beautiful. I have young children myself and still I cracked up at your kids answers. Thank you for sharing. This is great.

97. So sweet! And I think my favorite thing is how smitten by his sister your son is!!! Big brothers/sister have no idea the adoration they have!!

98. Katie says:

Haha. This was a sweet read and it cracked me up. I definitely would have been able to tell from their answers that your 8 year-old is a girl and your 6 year-old is a boy even if you hadn’t said so. Haha. So fun. And I definitely agree that there are some things about ourselves that only children seem to know and be able to tell us. :)

99. Tamsyn says:

I love this so much Kate!! I teared up at some of your kids answers, they really are so sweet :)