The Kelly Campaign

February 7, 2012

For the longest time I’ve been wanting to paint a piece of furniture bright Kelly green.  It started when I found this Reed & Barton color glazed silver bowl from the 1960’s in a thrift shop for a dollar.  A dollar for this beauty!

kelly green bowl

So I wanted to bring this fun color into our home and once I found the perfect piece, this small campaign desk, off to the paint store I went to color match it!  Here’s the  desk I found at (of course) a thrift store for $40 – the hardware alone is worth that to me, but the added benefit was this desk with faux bamboo legs that would tuck nicely into the kids study/art/craft playroom.

Before:

campaign dresser before

After:

kelly green campaign desk

The desk was not real burled wood, but had a speckled and scratched surface, so painting it was an easy call.  I followed the same steps I’ve mentioned before, 1. Remove the hardware, 2.  Clean and scuff up the piece with a medium grit sanding wedge and 3. Prime with product designed for glossy surfaces (Zinsser is my fave).

steps for makeover

Next, two coats of this fabulous paint!  I’ve wanted to try the Advance formula by Ben Moore and this desk was perfect candidate.  This enamel formula gives a harder finish like oil based paints but cleans up with water, I’ll definitely use it again – it comes in satin, semi-gloss and high gloss formulas.  No Floetrol needed, this paint is that good.

advance high gloss ben moore

The color is a custom formula to match the bowl, but if you want two close matches, try ‘Grasshopper’ by Sherwin Williams or ‘Bunker Hill Green’ by Benjamin Moore.

Finally I scrubbed and polished the brass hardware and reattached it.

polish brass reattach hardware

Now this fun Kelly green campaign desk sits in the kids’ playroom for art or homework.

kelly green campaign desk

I’m not alone in my love for this shade on campaign furniture, it’s been done before, so be sure to check out Emily’s campaign dresser and do you recall this set of green campaign dressers from Lonny magazine?  A gorgeous classic color!

Painted anything a bright fun color in your home lately?

Pin It

145 Responses to “The Kelly Campaign”

1. That is so pretty! I love the green…it’s the perfect shade – not too bright or imposing on the eye. Thanks for the tip on the paint :-)

2. I love it! What a great find. The legs on the right are really a nice detail.

The Lonny dressers inspired me too! I painted a pair of campaign nightstands the same shade of green. I used Barnyard Grass by Behr.

3. One of my faves, Kate! By the way, where is all the campaign furniture hiding in Dallas?!?

4. Ashley Edge says:

AAAAHHH! I’M SO FREAKING JEALOUS! Great job, it looks amazing :)

5. Donna says:

I guess that is what you call “getting bowled over”. Lovely color; lovely creation! Bold and beautiful.

6. Andrea says:

this is so awesome! i love the before and afters. and what a fun cheery space to give your kids. LOVE!

7. Whoops, attached the wrong link. Here’s the final green nightstands:

8. Lone says:

LOVE IT….the color is awesome. I want one…. Good job

9. Mindy says:

omg! I totally had that desk (in white) as a child!!! And my parents still do now, 30 years later, bc they don’t throw anything away. It has a hutch/shelves to go on top and a matching dresser. You’ve made it look fab!

10. Love it!!!!! The color is beautiful. Do you find a paintbrush easier to use than a spray gun? I’ve recently invested in an electrical spray gun and I love it. Let me know what you think.

11. Amy says:

That is GORGE! As in gorgeous! :)

12. Megan says:

Are you kidding me??!! First of all, what a find for just $40! And second of all, you made it even more fabulous with that great color! You never disappoint :)

13. Debbie W says:

LOVE IT!!!! That’s all I have to say :-)

14. Jenny says:

Turned out great! Good job!

15. Kathleen says:

i’m so excited, i literally just found the same exact desk via craigslist, and it’s my weekend project to re-do it :) so glad that yours turned out so beautifully, gives me confidence in my own abilities!

16. Absolutely stunning..thx for the tip on the new BM Advance Paint. can’t wait to try it. Heather

17. Lesley says:

Looks fabulous! I need to do a project like that but where would I put it…hmm. What color is the wal color behind the desk. great combo.

PS I have made your white bean and bacon soup 4 times now and we love it every time :) Definitely a new favorite.

18. Kristi says:

I am OBSESSED with this desk! I love campaign furniture, but I have had no luck at the thrift store locating any :( The color is fab AND it has faux bamboo legs!! All reasons that this is probably one of my fave pieces that you have done. Lovely!

19. Laura says:

I love the desk! But, i also love the color on the wall. Do you know the name of the paint color??

20. nellie dean says:

Love that colour green! What a beautiful pop of colour.

21. I love Kelly green – it’s such a happy color, and it looks fab on your dresser. And the Ben Moore Advance paint – I’m smitten with it. My paint guy called it “revolutionary” and he was right!!

22. Judy says:

I just love that color green. I have to try that new Ben paint on the next piece of furniture I paint.

23. elaine says:

I LOVE THIS! It looks fantastic. What a score – both the desk AND the bowl. Love it.

And yes, in reply to your question at the end of the post, I have recently painted something bright in my house – and I just blogged about it too :)

24. Very fresh and fun feeling, love it! And I’ve always loved the two other examples you shared as well. I must be a kelly green desk gal too.

25. OMG This is so funny. It’s one of those times when I think to myself, is it just me or is kelly green super fantastic? And then I realize I’m not alone!! I’m ALL about kelly green these days ever since I found a desk lamp in that color. I am currently re-doing my office/craft room and kelly green is making a huge presence! Love the desk!!

26. AHHH!! It’s SO gorgeous. I love the color with the gold accents. Can I come do my homework at it?

27. Julie says:

This is stunning. I’m always on the hunt for a nice campaign piece, preferably in the $40-$100 range…and I have not been so lucky, yet. I am determined!

28. OMG it turned out amazing! the color is TDF!!! great job and thanks for sharing and inspiring!

29. Debbie C says:

Gorgeous! Love it, esp with the hardware!

30. Danielle says:

Love it! What a GREAT decision!

31. Maya Eberhard says:

I so wished I had your vision! This is lovely!! We soon have to repaint our home, and I am thinking of using a neutral pallet to be able to introduce some of the many color you have added to my life instead of my vivid walls and plain furniture! You are SUCH an inspiration!!

32. Gina says:

Love it! Boy did you ever fond the deals…a Reed & Barton bowl for $1 and that desk for $40! Love those bamboo legs!!

33. Gina says:

Oooops….”find the deals”

34. And now I want some kelly green in my house!!! : )

35. Gorgeous! The brass hardware looks awesome with the green!

36. I like it..no I love it…it is like Jade green my favorite shade of green and those pulls are to die for…amazing like usual Kate :)

37. sarah says:

oh my—this post is made for me. first of all, i have found my perfect shade of green paint. secondly, i am looking for a CAMPAIGN piece to paint. thirdly, we just used BM Advance on cabinets in the bathroom (http://carrotcakeandcreamcheeseicing.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-bathroom-updates.html) and i LOVE the paint. used the zinsser and then the paint….awesomeness.
    can’t wait to do my own green campaign piece.

38. I love the colour and I can’t believe your thrift store luck! I haven’t discovered any great pieces for awhile, but you’ve motivated to go looking again :)

39. Thanks for the link, Kate! Such a great desk. Bamboo + campaign = my weakness :)

40. Trude says:

This turned out absolutely beautiful! Love that color so much (no wonder, its a part of my logo)! :)

41. cassie says:

oh i so love it! i just wish it was nice and green outside, too!

42. Funkytime says:

wow! what a transformation!

43. Brittany says:

Gorgeous!!! Love the shade of green and the cleaned up hardware is amazing!! Kelly green is definitely one of my favourite shades :)

44. Brittany says:

45. viv says:

Oh I love it! It looks amazing!!!

46. Joani says:

So cute. Love the color. Thanks for sharing.

47. I’ve never really considered kelly green but your new piece is fab! I haven’t painted anything lately but I did find a dresser that was already painted a gorgeous yellow:

kind of makes me wish I’d found it unpainted so I could be the one to create the masterpiece :)

48. KATHYSUE says:

Love love it!! The Desk turned out great, what a fun pop of color! At the beginning of the year I did a post claiming I wanted to add some of this color in my home also. I bought a fun vintage pedestal that is already painted that color from a friend of mine. I had admired it for a long time and she was selling it so I snagged it up I think it will go in my black and white bathroom as a place to stack some fluffy white towels. I love this color and with black and white it is amazing. You really got an amazing deal on your sweet dish!! Kathysue

49. Shaunna says:

well, you know i LOVE it!!! Kelly green is one of my fav colors of all time & it looks beautiful in your home!!
    :-)
    shaunna

50. This is so fantastic! I love this style of dresser so much. As for the color? Green is my favorite; in face, my family calls it “Jennifer Green.” :)

51. Oh this is a great color and it looks great with the kids pictures :)

52. Nicole says:

I am loving that green! And that bowl for a $1!! Awesome!!!!!

53. Lynne says:

Amazing and stunning!

54. Amanda @ Heart Tree Home says:

Looks great! I found the exact same desk in the thrift store and was tempted to paint it Kelly green or navy, but ended up going safe with white. You are making me second guess myself!

55. LOve the Kelly green! Kind of a step out of your signature color scheme but I bet it blends nicely!

56. Beth says:

I have that desk! And a mirror and a dresser that goes with it all. I’ve had it since … 1983?? maybe?? My 14 yr old daughter has the desk and mirror now. Mine is white but it will be getting painted in the future. I’m kinda liking the green.

57. Sherry says:

OH!!! I pinned this quickly today because green is my fave color but didn’t even notice it was from you!!! Yay! I have an entire pinboard devoted to my love of the color green. But, this desk finish is phenomenal. I mean the color is the best but you just really did it justice and I want it. It’s so bold and fresh. Much better than that old scratched wood. (And I don’t have anything against a nice wooden piece.)

58. Kristin says:

What a fun color! The kids must love it :) beautiful makeover!
    XO
    Kristin

59. Ok, I’m moving to your neighborhood! You find the best stuff. It turned out gorgeous. I love that color and the desk style is perfect.

60. Stunning color! I will definitely keep that version of Ben Moore in mind the next time I paint furniture. Your kids are lucky to have such a special piece in their space.

Hi Laura, I mixed that color myself years ago, it’s close to Ben Moore’s Fern Green but with more white in it!

62. erin says:

Love Kelly Green!! It’s my favorite color!!! it looks great on the desk!

63. Rona says:

I don’t normally for for green…but this? I love it! Gorgeous!

64. Oh my word! I saw the pic on Pinterest earlier (of course), but didn’t realize it was yours. I love kelly green. I have a peacoat in kelly green–it’s my fave. :)

65. OMG the transformation is amazing! Always love a campaign desk/dresser like this. I scored one last year for our foyer (http://michellelalala.blogspot.com/2011/12/end-is-beginning.html) but the campaign hardware doesn’t look as nice.

66. Dallas Landrum says:

This may be my favorite of your projects. I love the color, love the hardware, love the lines, and I’m more than a little jealous of the price steal (and the fact that the kiddies get to enjoy it)! GREAT job.

67. Jen says:

I am beyond words in love. That green is ooh la la amazing! Ahh, I have had a dresser sitting here for eons begging me to be painted and you are just what I need right now to get my rear in gear.

xoxo!
    Jen

68. Allison A. says:

It is fabulous, Kate!

69. Jennifer says:

Wow! I love it! What an awesome transformation!

70. Oh my goodness, how beautiful. AND bold! Like you!

Warmly, Michelle

71. First of all . . the post title is too cute. Are you kidding me with $40! That is fantastic. Beautiful color. Looks great.

72. Courtney says:

Love the color! I bought a sweater and a pea coat in that color this year!

73. Ok, yes the green is fabo…but boy the detail in the wood prior (I know, you said it was not real burl) was also kinda fabulous….all good and beautiful job on keeping the hardware. Congrats

74. Kimberly says:

The desk looks amazing! It looks like it should have been that color all along.

75. Stephanie Cademartori says:

Hi Kate,
    Wow! Great job!
    Question bout the paint…
    Was the finish good enough to not have to use some kind of protective coat on it??
    Are u able to use the desk top? If so then I’m super excited :)
    Let me know, love your blog!!!!!

76. kellie says:

What a wonderful job you did! Love the bowl you used for inspiration.. the desk came out FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing :)

77. Amanda says:

I love it! I actually just turned an old Ikea table into two nightstands for my guest room and painted them kelly green! They aren’t staying because I don’t like how they work in the room, but I LOVE the color! (http://loveandrenovations.com/2012/02/guest-room-indecision/)

78. This is wonderful. The color is fabulous and the brass hinges are a spectacular pop. Thanks for sharing!

Warmest Regards, Whitley Adkins Hamlin

79. Wow Kate! You did such a great job. I love how the now shiny hardware pops against the green. Fantastic work!

80. Kirsten says:

This desk looks fabulous! GREAT choice of color.

81. EmmaMT says:

Never in a million years would I have thought to paint that style of desk green, but it looks fantastic. I love the details. It really makes it look super classy. another great job!

EmmaMT

82. Maria says:

Woah, at first I was like ummmm, that color is not for me. And then I saw the desk. I need this in my life! Amazing vision!

83. WOW!! LOVE!! The hardware looks AMAZING against the green!!

84. Heidi says:

Looks amazing! I have a daybed that I need to paint and I want to go all out and paint it in a super bright color. Just haven’t picked a color yet.

85. Kasey M. says:

I saw a desk just like this over the weekend and knew I wanted it but had no clue what to do with it. Looks like I’m headed back now!

Thanks for the inspiration!

86. SheilaG says:

It’s a beautiful color- the desk turned out so perfect! I’ve been doing white or black on my furniture projects, but trying to decide how to change it up with my coffee table.

87. I bet the energy in your home is just wonderful right now, with new vibrantly painted pieces. The Robin’s egg blue and Kelly green are both beautiful, and compliment each other nicely.

88. Love the colour! We have a really great desk chair and are waiting to move into our new condo before painting it. We were thinking orange, purple – but this green really steals my heart!

89. MaviDeniz says:

wow!! you completely transformer that piece! It looks so beautiful. I have a few thrift stores around my house, I definitely should start checking them out more :)

Xo

90. You did a wonderful job here. Love the color and the style. You really were lucky to pick up the bowl for a dollar.
    Teresa
    xoxo

91. WOW!! That is such a beautiful piece!! What a difference the kelly green makes! And the brass, as you said, is perfect!!

92. Great color — punchy but not overwhelming! I’ll have to check out the new paint line.

93. Ashley says:

I love ..love…both the bow & desk, not to mention the color is amazing! You’re inspiration to try out paint furniture. Now I need to find a project! Thank you!

94. Love the color!! The desk is such a great statement piece.

95. Molly says:

Love that color green!!! So pretty-great transformation!

96. Layla says:

That is one of my absolute FAVORITE colors, and Shaunna and I are painting something a fun color here at our place this week! Can’t wait!
    :-D

97. GinaE says:

I admit, I held my breath for a minute between seeing the bowl color and the desk finished. I should have known anything you do is always going to be great! The desk is no exception. Bravo!

98. Denise says:

Gorgeous…both the desk and the bowl!

The thrift stores near me never have nice furniture like this.