My Tufted Sofa Fairy Tale

February 28, 2012

A long time ago I fell in love with a tufted sofa.  Not just any tufted sofa, a petite rounded back ‘works so perfectly in my house’ kind of tufted sofa. I even wrote about my tufted sofa dream almost two years ago.  {Cue the ‘a dream is a wish your heart makes’ melody…}

So I have this wall in between two sets of French doors in the living room where a lot of traffic passes by so the only thing that really works there is a buffet, which I had there for a year, but what I really always wanted for that spot was a beautiful tufted sofa.

I’m have a big fat crush on them, especially when they’re paired with modern fabrics.  Here’s a few images from my inspiration files – so sophisticated and dreamy.

tufted sofa bella mancini design

Bella Mancini Designs

tufted sofa massuco warner miller

Massucco Warner Miller

tufted sofa coastal living

Coastal Living

tufted sofa style at home

Style at Home

image

Graham and Green

elle espagna tufted sofa

Elle España

turner davis interiors tufted sofa

Melanie Turner Interiors

Do you recall this Azure sofa from Crate + Barrel?  This was the one I was drooling over, for like ever.  But it was discontinued and I was so so soooo disappointed. It was not meant to be and I was left desperately alone to wander through the wilderness.

c and b azure sofa

But then, a light at the end of a tunnel!  Or rather, a track light shining on this sofa at my local Macy’s furniture store a few weeks ago.

macys sofa

It was perfect.  It was on sale!  I sat on in, examined it from every angle, and fell desperately in love.  I had found my mate.

This one is made in America by Sherrill Furniture in North Carolina to be exact, and I loved the idea of supporting a manufacturer from the States. So I ordered it. I paid cash for it!  With money I’ve been saving in my ‘if I ever find that perfect petite tufted sofa again’ fund.  I’m feeling really good because this one was $300 less than the C + B version I fell for years ago.  (The one that cheated me and left me alone.)

Here is my new love in my home, and those are the new Ikat pillows from West Elm I mentioned yesterday, which I’m also completely smitten with.

centsational girl tufted sofa

tufted sofa and ikat pillow cg

And so my tufted sofa and I lived happily ever after.

the end swirl

Tags: , ,

107 Responses to “My Tufted Sofa Fairy Tale”

1. Becky says:

Ooo, that is beautiful! Leave it to you to find a beautiful sofa that makes me, the picky-sofa-girl envious :)

2. Arod says:

how cute enjoy your sofa

3. Tracie says:

We bought 2 love seats at Macy’s about 10 years ago. They are thee most wonderful pieces of furniture we own. Love them still!!! Enjoy your beauty — she sure is a beaute Clark;)

4. Dear Lillie says:

Oh my! I LOVE your new sofa! I dream of one day having a space for one. They are so gorgeous!

5. brandi says:

Oh my, I love your sofa! It’s gorgeous!

6. Crystal says:

I love tufted sofas! In college, my husband had a leather chesterfield handed down from his parents. He said he left it in the fraternity house when he graduated! argh!!!

7. So gorgeous!! And it looks like a near perfect match to the C+B sofa, except better. I love the fabric on the one you found. What a great score!

~Angela~

8. Kristina says:

Soo pretty! I saw this at Macy’s the other day too. My hubby didn’t like it…of course. How does one get her way in the furniture department? I’m going to show him this post and hope he changes his mind!

9. I love a good fairy tale with a happy ending. That sofa is gorgeous…she has nice legs too. Love it with the Ikat pillows. :)

10. The new pillows look great with your new couch!

11. Barbara says:

I l.o.v.e. your blog! And I love your fairy tale sofa! I have been smitten with grey lately, and hopefully my next sofa (need one soon) will be grey. I think it’s a beautiful and fresh neutral.

12. sheri says:

it looks beautiful! I love all the pics you included and now you have me wishing I could decorate my living room the way I want! (hubby says he can’t live without his recliner) .. lovely post :)

13. Michelle says:

A true fairytale :)

14. I love the sofa! And the brand too. I used to sell Sherrill Furniture and even took a business trip to N.C. to buy from them at furniture market. I’m in love with the pillows too.

15. Brenda says:

Oh it is perfect !!

16. Looks lovely. I have a thing for button-tufted anything!

17. Oh my goodness, it’s PERFECT!! That fabric is really gorgeous, and I love that single, puffy seat cushion. Congrats on your dream sofa find!!

18. Monica says:

Delicious. And she looks so happy in your home.

Good for you.

19. Amanda Eck says:

hubba hubba! that is one sexy sofa! and the pillows are the perfect creme de la creme.

20. Hahaha what a cute story and what a cute couch! Love it with the ikat pillows also! I’m so glad you found your prince couch!

21. Jessie says:

It’s gorgeous, Kate!!! Love the fabric, shape, and the pillows are beautiful. Congrats on your find!

22. Erin says:

it’ll still be my dream for a while, but yours is lovely!

23. Claudia says:

I wish you and Prince Sofa many happy years together :D I’d love one for my “someday” craft/relax room!

24. Desha Perez says:

Sigh. I just wanna TUFT MY WHOLE HOUSE. That, and add nailhead trim to just about everything… hey! Maybe I could start with a little tufted/ nailhead trimmed necklace pendant! Dream big, start small:) Love your sofa, totally jealous!!!

25. rach says:

oooh! how about a diy tutorial on those really cool giant knitted ottoman things in the style at home photo? those are so neat!!! if anyone could figure that out, I’m sure you could!

rach
    modestemusings.blogspot.com

26. Tufting. Love it. I used to have a great big chair in my living room that had tufting. I sold it, dirt cheap because I was so over the country plaid fabric. That was before I had my senses and if I had to do it over again, I would have had it recovered. Yes, tufting is what every girl should dream of!

27. Such a cute little tufted sofa!! Love the colors & the throw pillows too! :)

28. I lurrrvve your new sofa! It’s so funny that you just got it because just yesterday I wrote about how much I’d love to have a tufted loveseat. This gives me hope that home decorating dreams really do come true :)

29. It’s gorgeous! I was also a huge fan of the C&B version. We just purchased the Chloe sofa from Macy’s over the weekend. It can’t arrive soon enough! The bonus was that it was made in the USA as well.

30. Thrilled for you, it’s absolutely perfect!! :)

31. Laura says:

Love love love your new sofa!!! So pretty and perfect.

32. Holly Gagne says:

A casual tufted sofa. I just love it!

33. Meredith says:

Love it! It’s adorable, and being a NC girl, like that you supported some local business.

34. Kristy Swain says:

I love that sofa! Great find. Love the fabric. I think it’s better than the other one.

35. Tara says:

I have owned three sofas in my entire adult life, and all were free from a coworker at some point. ha! I love your finished room photos with your gorgeous tufted sofa. Way to go!

36. Arika says:

This looks like it was meant to be in that spot all along- so cute! :) Congrats on the find!!

37. Trina says:

Looks fantastic! I guess the saying Good things come to those who wait is true! :)

38. Jen Rizzo says:

Love that sofa! I might have to look at that for my moms house. My tufted sofa was my grandmothers that I had recovered. I love it.

39. Brianna says:

I love it! I adore tufted couches and dream of having one someday too

40. so prettyyy…I too love tufted sofas and our love story is so recent I used to hate them and just like modern minimalist sofas !!

41. She’s gorgeous Kate! I might even see little birdies and hearts flying around her at the moment…;) Perfect match made in heaven!

Heather

42. Too crazy, I just did a ‘tuft love’ blog yesterday about my love and desire for a tufted sofa…check it out at http://www.urbanhoot.blogspot.com. I too loved the one from C&B, but think yours is pretty amazing! I may just have to go to Macy’s!

43. Carmel says:

I love happy endings!! Fairy tales really do come true! This gives me hope that I’ll find the perfect corner cabinet to house my television. I’ve been searching for the right piece for almost 2 years now!

44. Dana says:

Well worth the wait, friend!

45. Jemima says:

Don’t you love it when the one you bring home turns out to be even better looking and to have more character than the reprobate who broke your heart?
    Let’s write a book called, “That Sofa’s Just Not That Into You”?

Love your blog. You have such a great eye, great ideas, initiative and generosity. It’s always a pleasure to see your latest post. Thank you.from area code 734!

46. Beverly says:

I have personally known 3 generations of the Sherrill family and know for a fact that they want to hear from you if you aren’t happy. There’s nothing better than American pride of workmanship.

47. Karena says:

Kate the sofa is gorgeous absolutely perfect and so are the pillows. I love a fairy tale like this!!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

48. Sherry says:

Oh My. It’s stunning and especially with those pillows. They are adorable. I am just loving the single seat cushion design. Might have to look for that when I’m shopping for a new sofa…oh, say, maybe in a decade! So happy for you!!

49. SDRachel says:

That’s awesome. So great to find something you love that’s ALSO in the right price range. Enjoy just gazing lovingly at it!!

50. Carmen says:

Oh, so cute!
    Carmen

51. Jen Migonis says:

Adore it. It looks stunning!

52. Alicia says:

LOVE it! And how perfect are the cushions!!??

53. Such a beautiful sofa. So happy that you found what you were looking for, and your pillows work perfectly with the sofa.
    Teresa
    xoxo

54. brooke says:

Glad you had your fairytale ending!

55. Paige says:

I love it! When I first started reading this I was about to recommend Macy’s for tufted sofas (because that’s where ours is from), but you already know. :-)

56. laurie says:

And they lived happily ever after…….love those curved arms that it will hug you with…..ah love

57. April says:

Thank you for highlighting an American company!!!! I am getting ready to relocate and know it is time to replace and upgrade. I love the idea of keeping the carbon footprint as small as possible. Sharing resources is so wonderful!!!!

58. Carol says:

I too love a tufted sofa . . . love, love, love!

59. SheilaG says:

It’s just perfect! I love a fairy tale with a happy ending. :)

60. Tiffany says:

I do love a good tufted sofa and yours looks great. Congratulations!

61. Linda says:

Beautiful! So stylish and elegant looking. Congrats on the great bargain!

62. Charlie says:

Pretty! And I’ve been wondering if it’s okay to have a crush on a piece of furniture…thanks for helping me feel “normal”. Here’s hoping my dreamed-of guest bed and I live happily ever after. ;)

Aloha,
    Charlie

63. “It was not meant to be and I was left desperately alone to wander through the wilderness.” Hilarious!

Your tufted sofa is AWESOME! So happy your dream came true! I love the pillows too!

64. It is beautiful. I love how petite it looks. Way to go on saving up for your purchase. I am sure it feels completely worth it. Congratulations.

65. Leanne says:

Yay for you! :) It’s perfect!

66. Cynthia says:

I love tufted furniture. I is so beautiful. Great pictures.

67. It looks perfect with the pillows, wall gallery and your size table, Love it! I should have a saving fund for my dream sofa too…thanks for the idea.

68. LT says:

Great choice! I used to work for Sherrill, purchasing fabrics as a matter of fact, and they make great quality products!

69. I love it!! I looked it up and it is only 22 inches deep. Just sent a link to my hubby. We have a very tight space and need a couch or loveseeat that isn’t very deep.

70. Kara says:

so happy you found a mate. it looks beautiful there.

71. Karen Davis says:

It was FATE! Looks…perfect.

72. OOOHHHH…I love…love..love…I had an feeling that the ikat pillows were what you bought at your West Elm trip! I love them!

73. JUURI says:

Wow, I totally had a sofa like that but I sold it on Craigslist… now I am starting to regret. No wonder the buyer was so thrilled! p(´⌒`。q)

Oh Jemima you crack me up! Yes, let’s write that book!
    xo

75. Ann V. says:

Mmmmm….LOVE, and the pillows too!

76. Danielle says:

Love your new couch and the pillow complement it so well! Quick question for you regarding the pillow inserts – do you have a favorite place to order those? And do you do as most places suggest and order a larger size than your pillow covers?

77. She’s purty!!! Congrats!

78. Love, LOVE the sofa and the pillows! Can you clean (Spot clean?) that fabric at all?

79. … that is until the kids spill grape juice on it. Or is the sofa (and it’s very lovely West Elm pillows) off limits? Is it mommy’s special only mommy sits here sofa?

Linda

80. I love these couches. They are so much prettier than my monster of a microsuede sectional, but I love comfort more.

81. Alicia says:

Good for you! The sofa is gorgeous and knowing that you’ve been drooling over that style for two years and saving cash for it makes it even better I bet!

82. Felicia says:

Haha, you crack me up! I love the sofa, I have always loved tufted sofas. Last year my good friend traded me her antique tufted sofa, in exchange for one nights baby sitting! I am reupholstering it in a grey jean like material. LOVE IT!

83. Jeni says:

You have been such a huge inspiriation to me. Never thought I could decorate my house the way I wanted and in a buget friendly way. Thanks a billion!!! I too love the tuffted sofa. Just eyed one on CL. Debating??

84. Lesley says:

It’s beautiful! Out of all the pics you showed I think I like yours the best…oh and the Graham and Green one. But I really love how your cushions complement it too. Lovely… I only wish I had a room big enough to put one

85. Diana says:

I love stories with a happy ending!
    My husband bought me a dark teal tufted loveseat for our bedroom for Valentine’s Day. If that isn’t proof that he really knows me, I don’t know what would be!
    More power to the tuft! (we are dying for a chesterfield in the living room)

Hey Linda, nothing is off limits in our house and my kids are pretty great about behaving themselves, but accidents do happen so I bought the damage plan – any spills tears or rips anytime – no matter what – they will come out and repair it or replace it!

Hi Anne, yes I can spot clean, but not worried about the fabric, it’s a poly blend, thicker than linen and I have the “damage/spill/rip/tear/anything bad happens we will replace it plan” – peace of mind!

Hi Danielle, I have about half a dozen 18″ down pillow inserts, I’ve picked up a few here and there but two years ago I found some really good ones at… West Elm! I do like to use a slightly bigger one to give them pouf!

89. We had a tufted sofa in our house growing up. Although it was an ugly gold velour I still always loved it. It was so comfy and beautiful and pointed to a life much fancier than ours. : ) I love your new addition.

90. Laura says:

Best. Fairytale. Ever. Who needs a handsome prince when you’ve got a perfect petite tufted sofa? I mean really.

91. Yby5 says:

Don’t you love when your wants become reality…great find and so happy it’s American Made!

92. Judy says:

That is one gorgeous sofa. Love the throw pillows as well. I just love a happy ending.

93. what a happy ending!! :) cute post and gorgeous sofa!

94. Oh, for the love of a sofa! I had wanted a tufted sofa forever, and finally bought one several years back when they were decidedly VERY off trend, which is part of what I liked! Now this classic baby is everywhere. I’m just about to recover mine. I’ll have it a long, long time. Hope you do too!!

Totally Laura. :)

96. Janie says:

OOOOOhhh it’s sooo pretty!!!! jealous!!! And I love your pedestal table with overlays next to it! LOVE YOU!

97. Melissa says:

Oh my! That is really beautiful. That is the PERFECT spot for a little sofa.

98. lorraine says:

Soooo Pretty! Two minutes ago I had never had a second thought about a tufted sofa and now I am totally obsessed.

99. Linda says:

Love that sofa! I love tufts but not so much in the seat part, and that one seems perfect! Great find!

100. Maria says:

Wow! Beautiful! What a fun Spring you are having!