Mobilized!

February 19, 2012

Well you asked, I delivered.

When I asked for tips on better site navigation last week, several of you emailed me asking for me to make the site compatible for mobile devices.  I confess, I was a little confused and not sure what that looked like – then Dana sent me an example of a mobile friendly blog layout and the light bulb went on, oh that !  Thanks Dana!

It took some research but I figured it out. So for those of you who enjoy your blog reading on a mobile device, whether it’s an iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android, etc. there’s a new service in town when you visit CG – a mobile friendly one.

Here’s what you’ll now see on an iPad:

ipad dropdown menu

Notice how you’ll have immediate access to all the recent articles in chronological order for quick reading, and all the other good stuff is right at your fingertips too for when you’re away from your desktop.  And look, there’s a drop down easily navigable menu – sweet!

The same look on the iPhone too, very finger friendly menus for all of you.

cg on iphone

And if for any reason you prefer to look at the site on your mobile device like it appears on your desktop, no worries, simply turn off the Mobile Theme in the footer:

mobile theme on off

I’ll be adding a social media page next, for whenever you want to connect on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest via your mobile device.  Also I’ve only tested in on the Apple products so let me know if you see anything wonky on the others…

Happy surfing!

kate signature image

25 Responses to “Mobilized!”

1. Laura says:

Yay! Thank you! Wish all sites were mobile, it makes it so much easier to read.

2. Simple Daisy says:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing:)

3. Whitney says:

If you ever want to put together a tutorial on making a site mobile friendly, we’ll not complain! Haven’t the foggiest how to start on a project like that. Excited to check it out on the iPhone. Thanks!

4. Thanks Kate! I always like to take a quickc peek what you’re up to when I’m at work. B-T-W, I like the new header, simple and classy!

5. Julie says:

Thanks Kate! It was a happy surprise when this popped up on my iPad!

6. I like the new format but i have a question…i turned the mobile theme off to compare different features on my ipad but now i cannot figure out how to turn the mobile theme back on. Help!

Hi Anne, I had that same problem, you have to shut the device off to completely refresh as far as I can tell…. let me know if simply doing a new search and then clicking on the site brings it back!

8. Dangle says:

Well written article. People should read this.

9. Was this just a plug in? I was looking for one last week and the one I ended up choosing didn’t look as nifty as yours! :)

10. Ann V. says:

Anne,
    I also turned the mobile theme off and when I scrolled down to the very bottom of the normal page there was a choice to choose mobile again. However it was not highlighted but still worked!

11. Debbie says:

That sounds great!! I’m going to check it out! Thanks for making all these wonderful ideas available to us :-).

12. Danielle says:

How awesome! I’m a big fan and I share your articles and projects with my co-workers and customers all the time. (I work at a craft store!) Now I can actually show them on my phone. It will help give them a visual. Thanks!

13. Carin says:

Awesome! Thank you!

14. Nicole says:

YAY! Excited to use this on my iPad!

15. Cynthia says:

Nice job good for the iPad!!

16. Jessica says:

I really hate this mobile format and can not get it to turn off!

Hey Jessica, there’s a button to click in the footer – that gets you to the main site format and turns off the Mobile Theme.

18. I think it looks great! Nice job.

19. PaulaK says:

I am with Jessica. The button at the bottom does not work for me either. A message pops up saying I have selected the mobile site after I have turned it off.

20. Jacinta says:

I prefer the normal layout on my iPad, but when I click ‘off’ it refreshes to the same page, that is it refreshes but returns to mobile mode :(

Hi Paula and Jessica, so sorry for the frustration …. I’ll check in with the Plugin site to see what the glitch is….

22. Thanks for getting the mobile going! That’s where most people are accessing their web these days, I’ve heard