A Typical Day in My Life

February 28, 2012

Well hello everyone – it’s been asked a few times and then came up again as a suggestion in the anniversary post that I share a typical day in the life with you.  Personally, I see my life as very hum drum, kind of boring if you ask me, but it’s the best kind of boring.  Here’s a peek at my typical weekday as it often goes from sun up until sundown.  

7 a.m.   Time to wake up since we need to get both kids to school by 8 a.m. – I can always tell by the light in our bedroom what time it is, my mister has an alarm clock but I don’t.  Each day always begin with strong coffee, one of my absolute morning essentials, Peet’s French Roast with fat free half and half – gotta have it.

kates coffee


The kids get breakfast first, sometimes it’s my mister’s “famous eggs” – he really does make the best scrambled eggs in the world – we love them with sourdough toast. But today it’s a simple bowl of cereal before it’s time to get dressed, brush teeth, and make lunches.  These are my munchkins – my reason for living – my babies who are growing up just too fast for me, they are six and eight now, when did that happen?

kids at breakfast


8:00 a.m.   Dad drops the kids off at school and I head to “the office”.  Here is where I work every morning.  I replaced the old table with some new file cabinets and a top by IKEA but three things are clear 1. the top doesn’t reach all the way across – oops.  2. I need a new fabric or woven shade and 3. I rotate chairs through here like I change my yoga pants because I just haven’t found the perfect one yet.  Someday soon I’ll pull it all together, bring in more color, and find the perfect desk top and chair but for now, I’m fine with the imperfection and whiteness of it all.   

kates home office


I have an office mate who’s more concerned with her own grooming than anything else (oh you have one of those too?) but she does keep me company each morning.

kitty cat


8 a.m.   I start by checking the comments on the latest blog post and responding to pending questions, then it’s my time to read other blogs – I spend about 30 minutes catching up on my favorites and use Google Reader to do it.  Next it’s a little social media, Twitter and Pinterest mostly, then it’s emails – ack, I’m terrible at responding to every single email because there are many but I try I try I try…  time flies by and now it’s 11:00 a.m and I’m ready for a break.

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.   I like to leave my house everyday around 11 a.m. – sitting at my desk after three hours makes me a little grumpy so every other day I do 20 minutes on the treadmill in the garage, then I shower and head out to run errands or pick up supplies. For lunch, I often stop in to my local hometown market where they have really good hot food to grab some protein and a small salad, today it’s Chicken Diablo and greens with avocado – I bring it home and sometimes I even put it on a plate.

kates lunch

I eat in front of my kitchen window standing up, weird right?  It’s a habit – I think a lot of us moms get in this habit of eating lunch standing up, like sitting down in the middle of the day is some kind of luxury we’re not allowed – anyway, I stare out the window and listen to my iTunes or talk radio for about 10 minutes while I eat.

1:30 p.m.   Back to work at the computer, gathering and editing images ready for the next day’s post before it’s time to pick up the munchkins from school.  

2:30 p.m.   Pick up time – I drive to pick up my children at their public school and on nice days they play outside at the playground with their friends until 3 p.m. 

3 p.m.  Back at home, we make a snack and then they start homework.  When it’s done they go play and I head out to the garage to work on a project, today it’s a pedestal table I’m priming for a friend before it gets painted. 

priming pedestal table


We have softball and piano lessons during the week so I get them ready for those extracurricular activities but when they’re not involved with that they do what kids do best, they play.  And they make a lot of messes. 

kates little boy


There’s that quote that goes “a perfectly kept house is a sign of a misspent life” – true, but I prefer to say it a little differently – an imperfectly kept home is evidence of a life well lived with your loved ones.  Think about it – sure those messes wouldn’t exist if they weren’t there, but then the point is they wouldn’t be there at all.  So I *try* to embrace the messes – you don’t see it very often in pictures around here, but it is our constant state of existence and I’ll take the mess plus the little people over a clean but empty house any day of the week. 

imperfectly kept home


4 p.m.  Time to do some morning dishes, then I pop open my laptop on the kitchen island to catch up via social media or respond to emails.  It’s also time to change the clock battery which has been dead for a few days . . . 

laptop on kitchen island


5:00 p.m.    Time to make dinner, some nights I cook a full dinner, other nights it’s just a roasted chicken from the grocery store with vegies or some simple pasta.  We eat around 6:30 p.m when Dad gets home from his full time job and we talk about our day. 

7 p.m.   Time for the kids’ bath and to straighten the upstairs. I’m good at washing the clothes. I’m good at putting them in the dryer, but I’m terrible just terrible at folding them right away so by Thursday this scene is not uncommon. 

kates laundry pile

Go on, Pin it!

I make a dent in it, just enough so we have clean clothes for a few days, then put the rest back in the laundry basket. It’s my eternal struggle – the never ending laundry pile. There might be a small child in there, I’m not sure.

8 p.m.  Kids are tucked into bed with their teeth brushed, and I’m in my office for an hour finishing up a post.  I get lonely in there so I like to move to the couch around 9 p.m. with my laptop to be with my hub – sometimes we’ll make some popcorn and we often catch up on the news or recorded shows together. 

laptop and popcorn

I hear you mocking my fuzzy slippers and pastel plaid pajamas. 

If I don’t finish up a post by 11 p.m. I just close up shop and finish the next day instead. I’ve learned that the hard way how sleep is essential to my survival the next day. 

11 p.m.  A quick and very very hot bath (every night!) then off to bed with a book or magazine. 

I do not have a nanny or a regular babysitter or a virtual assistant, but I do have some help with housecleaning a few times a month, and I have an incredible band of supportive moms.  We all help with each other’s kids and their support is what really keeps me sane – I’m grateful for them every day. 

So that’s it – my typical day – suburban, repetitive, full of messes but a lot of love, and I wouldn’t change a single thing. 




140 Responses to “A Typical Day in My Life”

Leave a Reply