A Typical Day in My Life

February 28, 2012

Well hello everyone – it’s been asked a few times and then came up again as a suggestion in the anniversary post that I share a typical day in the life with you.  Personally, I see my life as very hum drum, kind of boring if you ask me, but it’s the best kind of boring.  Here’s a peek at my typical weekday as it often goes from sun up until sundown.

7 a.m.   Time to wake up since we need to get both kids to school by 8 a.m. – I can always tell by the light in our bedroom what time it is, my mister has an alarm clock but I don’t.  Each day always begin with strong coffee, one of my absolute morning essentials, Peet’s French Roast with fat free half and half – gotta have it.

kates coffee

The kids get breakfast first, sometimes it’s my mister’s “famous eggs” – he really does make the best scrambled eggs in the world – we love them with sourdough toast. But today it’s a simple bowl of cereal before it’s time to get dressed, brush teeth, and make lunches.  These are my munchkins – my reason for living – my babies who are growing up just too fast for me, they are six and eight now, when did that happen?

kids at breakfast

8:00 a.m.   Dad drops the kids off at school and I head to “the office”.  Here is where I work every morning.  I replaced the old table with some new file cabinets and a top by IKEA but three things are clear 1. the top doesn’t reach all the way across – oops.  2. I need a new fabric or woven shade and 3. I rotate chairs through here like I change my yoga pants because I just haven’t found the perfect one yet.  Someday soon I’ll pull it all together, bring in more color, and find the perfect desk top and chair but for now, I’m fine with the imperfection and whiteness of it all.

kates home office

I have an office mate who’s more concerned with her own grooming than anything else (oh you have one of those too?) but she does keep me company each morning.

kitty cat

8 a.m.   I start by checking the comments on the latest blog post and responding to pending questions, then it’s my time to read other blogs – I spend about 30 minutes catching up on my favorites and use Google Reader to do it.  Next it’s a little social media, Twitter and Pinterest mostly, then it’s emails – ack, I’m terrible at responding to every single email because there are many but I try I try I try…  time flies by and now it’s 11:00 a.m and I’m ready for a break.

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.   I like to leave my house everyday around 11 a.m. – sitting at my desk after three hours makes me a little grumpy so every other day I do 20 minutes on the treadmill in the garage, then I shower and head out to run errands or pick up supplies. For lunch, I often stop in to my local hometown market where they have really good hot food to grab some protein and a small salad, today it’s Chicken Diablo and greens with avocado – I bring it home and sometimes I even put it on a plate.

kates lunch

I eat in front of my kitchen window standing up, weird right?  It’s a habit – I think a lot of us moms get in this habit of eating lunch standing up, like sitting down in the middle of the day is some kind of luxury we’re not allowed – anyway, I stare out the window and listen to my iTunes or talk radio for about 10 minutes while I eat.

1:30 p.m.   Back to work at the computer, gathering and editing images ready for the next day’s post before it’s time to pick up the munchkins from school.

2:30 p.m.   Pick up time – I drive to pick up my children at their public school and on nice days they play outside at the playground with their friends until 3 p.m.

3 p.m.  Back at home, we make a snack and then they start homework.  When it’s done they go play and I head out to the garage to work on a project, today it’s a pedestal table I’m priming for a friend before it gets painted.

priming pedestal table

We have softball and piano lessons during the week so I get them ready for those extracurricular activities but when they’re not involved with that they do what kids do best, they play.  And they make a lot of messes.

kates little boy

There’s that quote that goes “a perfectly kept house is a sign of a misspent life” – true, but I prefer to say it a little differently – an imperfectly kept home is evidence of a life well lived with your loved ones.  Think about it – sure those messes wouldn’t exist if they weren’t there, but then the point is they wouldn’t be there at all.  So I *try* to embrace the messes – you don’t see it very often in pictures around here, but it is our constant state of existence and I’ll take the mess plus the little people over a clean but empty house any day of the week.

imperfectly kept home

4 p.m.  Time to do some morning dishes, then I pop open my laptop on the kitchen island to catch up via social media or respond to emails.  It’s also time to change the clock battery which has been dead for a few days . . .

laptop on kitchen island

5:00 p.m.    Time to make dinner, some nights I cook a full dinner, other nights it’s just a roasted chicken from the grocery store with vegies or some simple pasta.  We eat around 6:30 p.m when Dad gets home from his full time job and we talk about our day.

7 p.m.   Time for the kids’ bath and to straighten the upstairs. I’m good at washing the clothes. I’m good at putting them in the dryer, but I’m terrible just terrible at folding them right away so by Thursday this scene is not uncommon.

kates laundry pile

Go on, Pin it!

I make a dent in it, just enough so we have clean clothes for a few days, then put the rest back in the laundry basket. It’s my eternal struggle – the never ending laundry pile. There might be a small child in there, I’m not sure.

8 p.m.  Kids are tucked into bed with their teeth brushed, and I’m in my office for an hour finishing up a post.  I get lonely in there so I like to move to the couch around 9 p.m. with my laptop to be with my hub – sometimes we’ll make some popcorn and we often catch up on the news or recorded shows together.

laptop and popcorn

I hear you mocking my fuzzy slippers and pastel plaid pajamas.

If I don’t finish up a post by 11 p.m. I just close up shop and finish the next day instead. I’ve learned that the hard way how sleep is essential to my survival the next day.

11 p.m.  A quick and very very hot bath (every night!) then off to bed with a book or magazine.

I do not have a nanny or a regular babysitter or a virtual assistant, but I do have some help with housecleaning a few times a month, and I have an incredible band of supportive moms.  We all help with each other’s kids and their support is what really keeps me sane – I’m grateful for them every day.

So that’s it – my typical day – suburban, repetitive, full of messes but a lot of love, and I wouldn’t change a single thing.

140 Responses to “A Typical Day in My Life”

1. What a great post — love it! Your kiddos are so cute.

2. sonny says:

oh my, I remember when I had that much energy:)
    thanks for sharing a typical day with us.. Its good to know someone else also has a hard time folding laundry.

3. Sue says:

Sounds like a great day to me! I have the identical pile of unfolded laundry in my house at any given moment. It’s usually on the family room chair but it has been known to move to my bed if company is coming ;) And I know exactly what you mean by the ‘best kind of boring’, I love that kind of boring.

p.s. love the tray for the coffee

~ Sue

4. Lorena says:

Good to know I’m not the only one who has issues with folding laundry!

5. Hey, I am just as bad at keeping up with the laundry, so you’re definitely not alone in that department.

I love the slippers! What kind are they?

Thanks for a glimpse into your day :-)

6. Love, love, LOVE this post, Kate! Thank you so much for sharing your day with us!! xoxo

7. Ok, so you’re just like the rest of us…only with a schedule…a schedule~that’s what I’m missing! Love this post!
    Debbie

8. lisaW says:

I do the same thing with laundry! I don’t have a problem washing it, but putting it all away just kills me. I think I would almost rather clean the bathroom…almost :)

9. OMG! That is exactly how my bed looks most days. My husbands like to do the bed dump and I do what you do… put SOME away and the rest BACK in the basket. :)

10. Love it!!! And our house is ALWAYS behind with laundry. Except when we had a tv crew here. That was nice. :) Lol. I TRY to be okay with mess too. I love my munchkins and would much rather have them around!
    xo – Shannon

11. Brooke says:

You work hard for us readers! Thank you :)

12. Lindsey says:

Okay, thank goodness my bed isn’t the only one that looks like this on too frequent an occasion!

13. Janette says:

Ugh – folding and putting away laundry is the WORST! I’ve been that way my whole life. I would clean a bathroom before putting away clothes. It’s some sort of mental block. And I don’t have kids! My husband does his own laundry! What’s my problem? love the colors in your house. very relaxing…

14. Cindy says:

Very sweet!!

15. Fun glimpse into your life, Kate! I love the quote you shared and I have a similar one framed in my kitchen that reads “At the worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived”. On the crazy days when toys are all over, that quote keeps me sane and accepting of the messes. Our little ones grow so fast and it’s important to enjoy every moment.

And FYI, I don’t mind laundry either, but I really dislike the folding, ha!

Enjoy the rest of your day.
    xo Jenna

16. I love this real life everyday post! Good idea putting the coffee maker on a tray. I am glad I am not the only one terrible at putting the laundry away. I despise laundry :( Cute kiddos!

17. I love your bed of laundry! My house is taken over by laundry, it’s a never ending vicious cycle. Same thing, I get them clean, but they just don’t make it much further than that:). Thanks for sharing your day!

18. Oh my — I have the same coffee maker :) and the exact same pile of laundry on my bed — last nigth anyway. Hate it when I forget it and I’m ready for bed — oh well. My daughter doesn’t look as happy as your little ones in the morning before school :) Great post. Thanks for making me feel normal :) Joanne

19. kate blue says:

are you sure you didn’t copy off of me with the whole laundry thing??? LOL…OMG I do the exact same thing and it drives my husband MAD!

20. Noelle says:

It’s always an inspiration to see how other Mom’s hold it all together!! I love that coffee maker on the tray, it looks so chic!!

21. Christina says:

Thank goodness you showed how normal you are!! I love that you wash and dry clothes like me…and do not fold them like me!! Only when it’s necessary!! Love the day in your life post :) Happy Tuesday!

22. Heidi says:

Kate, I love your honesty and authenticity. Real life is so good to see. Often I look at blogs and feel like a failure because I cannot seem to have it all together like it appears other people do – perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfect house, perfectly accessorized (the house and the blogger). It’s good to see that the image I have in my head is false…that other bloggers are just as regular as I am, with laundry and plaid pj’s :-) When I read posts like this is helps me live a little more free with a little less pressure to be perfect. Thank you.

23. Nicole says:

I’m kinda of new and did search your site – but what is the color on your office wall – I love it! Is it the same as the bedroom shown? I have to finalize my paint colors tomorrow and it looks like just what I want for the masterbath, but am having a hard time finding one that looks right when I paint the tester board – thanks! P.S. We live in Nor cal too! Thanks for the beautiful site!

24. Nancy says:

Thank you for the glimpse of reality…
    My little ones are grown and gone, but it does bring back memories and its nice to knowthings haven’t changed much….
    I do love the coffee maker on the tray…so elegant!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

25. Courtney says:

Thanks for the insight!! So many people think stay at home moms with kids in school do nothing all day! In reality it is super busy…and keeping up with a blog takes the commitment of a full time job but with longer hours!

26. Kristen says:

Loved hearing about a typical day- great post! I’ve been reading your blog for about a month now and you have been such an inspiration. Just finished painting my kitchen (cabinets and walls) and now moving on to family room… I’m going to try that Ben Moore Tranquiltiy and just basically freshening up the space. Thx for all your great ideas… I look forward to reading them each day:)

27. Crystal says:

Ummm….you are like a real life SUPERWOMAN–WOW! I hope you feel all of our virtual pats on your back and that they remind you of how much your dedication is appreciated!
    Wishing you all the best :o)

Lots of Love

28. K Newbold says:

Love the file cabinets you used for your desk! Where did you find them?

29. sometimes, as a corporate-outside of the home – working mother, I think I just shouldn’t read posts like this…It makes me so jealous to see how calm and relaxed your life looks while I am typically crying by 8:00 am after I have been up for 3 hours. Don’t call this boring — this sounds like an amazing typical day!!!! I’d love to trade places!

30. Jen Lewis says:

Kate–
    I LOVE this post! I have the exact struggle with laundry. Seriously…it is my “never-ending-try-and-keep-up” kinda thing that I just cannot get a hold of. I wash. I put in dryer. But my bed (or sofa) looks exactly like the pile on your bed most weeks. I know it gets bad when my 10 year old says, “finally, we have clothes in our drawers…it’s been like 3 weeks”.
    My mom suggested having the boys pick out their clothes on Sunday night for the week. That way, we won’t be scrambling…searching for clothes before school.
    Might give it a try…
    now…if I only could get all the laundry done so the boys have clothes to actually pick from! Lol.

Love your blog…thanks for the post!
    Have a lovely day!
    Jen xo

31. Yby5 says:

That was a great post…love how you keep it real and share the reality of juggling a family, home and career. Love it!

Oh…the laundry I think is every mothers nightmare!

32. France's says:

Thank you for this post! My bed looks like that everyday! And I eat standing up all the time, don’t know why. Keep posting like this, it gives me a smile and giggles!

33. JUURI says:

Your house looks simply divine amidst all the wonderful madness! Your life sounds perfect. It’s what everyone dreams of! ;)

34. Jimmy says:

Cool post. And cute kids. I’ve got a 16 month old and another on the way in July. The thought of them being in school for a few hours a day sounds amazing to me – oh how productive I could be, right? But that is so, so long from now. Or it’s practically tomorrow – sometimes I feel like my son is growing up in the blink of an eye.

And we have the same coffee maker. I live and die by that thing.

35. Marthajane says:

I enjoy and appreciate your blog very much. I admire your mindset; you genuinely strive to care for your husband and children and you understand that family life is a wonderful, imperfect, highly messy and highly rewarding experience (if you can possibly recognize the amazing moments as they flash by).

My favorite memories are of nightly family dinners… somewhere around ages 2 and 6. Our daughter typically stood on her chair during dinner (we fought about it in the beginning, but what the heck…!) Our son typically typically brought Power Rangers or Spiderman to the table, and my husband and I just tried to make sure more of the meal ended up in them than on the floor.

Enjoy your your children’s lives, and build as much honest communication with them as you possibly possibly can. You won’t BELIEVE the game changer that teenage years can be. I won’t say too much about that… because I don’t want to scare you. Thank you again for your blog!

36. Kristy Swain says:

So fun to read about your day!! Thanks for sharing. I love how you section your day – I’d do somehting similar.

37. Elesa says:

You make regular life seem so peaceful and sweet. I’m sure it isn’t always that way, but it is nice to seem normal as ideal. Thanks!

38. sharon rittler says:

Your my hero! Really you are! I want to be just like you when I grow up ;} I read your blog every day that I can and you really do inspire me. So much so that I found a gorgeous 1920′s desk and two antique school desks that I want to refinish and will be reading your blog on how to do it! I might even do a blog post about them too, which is completely out of character for me. Don’t be surprised if you get some questions in your inbox from me first though. Your kids are adorable and I love that sweet little kitten. I have eight cats right now and they are simply the best! Wouldn’t trade them for anything, but there just isn’t enough room on my lap for them all, though they do try. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your day. I have the same pile of laundry too so no worries.

39. Sherie Rowe says:

I love how you just fling everything out there for us!!! Your day seems a bit like mine, totally full! Hope you have a great one!

40. Great post! I need to come up with some kind of schedule ;-) I am exactly the same with the laundry! I hate putting it away!

41. Steph says:

I love your laundry pile! It is my eternal struggle as well. Your day is a lot like mine. A lot. Only replace the “office time” with entertaining a two-year-old. Maybe he is the reason I can’t seem to complete many of the projects I would like? I like your messy house quote though. Good reminder.

42. Annie says:

I am so going to pin the bed with laundry on it!!! That is AWESOME!!!!! LOVE your house and blog. Thanks so much for sharing the imperfections that make a wonderful family. :)

43. Thanks for sharing!!! I wish my day was at home doing the things you do. I would rather do those then be in my 9-5 job everyday doing things I don’t love that much. :( Hopefully one day, I will be able to have a routine like yours. :) And I hate folding the laundry too. Thank god my hubby doesn’t mind all that much and he helps me do it. ;)

44. Karin says:

Great post! I teach full time with kids 4 and 1 and I can so relate to the battle of the laundry. I made a deal with myself when it got out of control- Thursday nights I deal with it all (laundry, vacuuming etc) so when I get home from work on Friday, the bulk of the work is done and I can spend time with my family on the weekend. It really works! Thanks for sharing!

45. Deby says:

Great post….glad you are normal….I love the slippers and the pj’s…and the mountain of laundry…..love it

46. Katy says:

Love your quote! I am going to print it and frame it! Thanks!

47. Sarah says:

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day. I love being at home (although I’m not a mom-yet), but I found that it makes time fly quickly! The whole time reading your post I was so happy to learn one or both of your kids take piano lessons! I played softball and took piano all throughout my life, it’s a great combination of activities! I’m now a piano teacher so if you ever have any questions feel free to send an email.

I have an unusually large laundry room and recently moved an unused table in the room to pile the clean clothes on rather than the bed. I shut the door and get to it when I can…I hate folding clothes. And I don’t even have kids yet.

You have a great blog, and I look forward to reading it as I sit down with my coffee each day and prepare for the adventures that lie ahead!

48. Can I have your typical day? It’s delightful

49. Taysha Riggs says:

Of all the wonderful things in this post I, of course, focus on the jar in the background next to the half and half. Is that how you store your coffee? Genuis! I am new to making coffee at home (what a $-saver) Do you just stick it in the fridge?

50. Jen Migonis says:

Kate, i love love love this day in the life post. Thank you for showing a glimpse of a not completely perfect house. My bed has a pile of clean laundry on it now and we often have toys everywhere…
    On a different note, I just made a sisal rope bucket inspired by you: http://www.migonishome.com. Thanks for the inspiration!

51. Well, we are not all that different, except my day would probably include a stop at Target and probably a bit TOO much time on Pinterest. ;) I am the same way with laundry. :s I try to do it while I catch up with my DVR—makes it less tedious. The same when I iron my clothes. Those pile up too. :)

52. I have a ton of laundry sitting on my papazon chair right now begging me to fold it…sigh…looks like I know what I’m doing today in between crafting, cooking, blog posting, and caring for my little one!

53. Ann V. says:

Ah, those adorable KIDS!!! My three are all adults now…sorta use that term loosely for the baby, she’s 19 and still lives at home! But I sure miss them being little! Beware posting all your personal life info…it might make us love you even more than we already do!! If I lived in Petaluma, pretty sure you and I would be bffs and I would be helping watch your kids when you make your treks to NY to do the Nate Show, HA!

54. Courtney says:

THANK YOU for that laundry picture because that is. my. life! Most days I feel bad about and grumble that we need to fold laundry (AND put it away!) but more times than not, our bed looks exactly like that.

It’s always refreshing to see the glimpses of normalcy in someone you admire. :)

55. He, he, he… I am so thankful that I am not the only one!

My husband has a pool table in our family room that rarely sees a game of pool. It is LOADED with clean, unfolded laundry.

Thanks for sharing that bit of imperfection, Kate. Makes me feel better!

56. Mandy says:

First, your kiddos are adorable! Second, I want the inside of your house! Love the grays – unfortunately, my hubs does not like gray. Third, don’t sweat the laundry – most of the time our clean clothes get taken out of the dryer and thrown into the corner of the laundry room until we wear it next! :)

57. I had the pile of laundry like you did Kate, until I started a new habit…the second I wake, I immediately “wrinkle release” the current load in the dryer, and put it away.

Otherwise, my pile was 3X the size of yours. I also, am only washing clothes when they are truly dirty. Just like I did in college…lol…

Thanks for the insight into your life.

58. Thanks for that sneak peek into your everyday life!

Hello K Newbold, those are from Martha’s line at Home Decorators:

Hi Nicole, that paint looks a little faded in the light but it is Valspar’s Seafoam Storm – a very gray teal color, I love it!

61. Robin says:

The clothes on the bed made me laugh! That is so me! Although your bed is actually made underneath the pile! And mine also end up all over my bedroom floor once they actually get folded. And then it takes like four days to actually get them all put away. And then it’s time to do laundry again.

62. Elyse says:

I don’t know how you do it all! I have a wee-tiny blog and it takes up so much of my time! Just another reason why I’m obsessed with you, I mean admire you.

63. My bed has a pile of clothes on it right now! Thank you for sharing about your day. It is evident you spend a lot if time on your blog and your hard work is paying off. I would live to spend more time on mine but with a 3 month old a little difficult. Maybe some day I can spend more time on it but for now I will enjoy it as it is.

64. Debora says:

My fav pic of all ur posts is that of your bedroom with the laundry. Really!!! I love it cuz it’s real and that you are honest. Thanks a million.Time for me to go fold lol

65. Jen H says:

Ahhh.. The laundry pile. My husband can’t figure out why there always is one. Well we have 3 kids under the age of 4.. So laundry multiplies in seconds it seems. Your house is beautiful! We are renting and I can hardly wait for our own place. I also love a hot, hot bath when the kids are in bed! The only peace and quiet I get…

66. Jen H says:

Ahhh.. The laundry pile. My husband can’t figure out why there always is one. Well we have 3 kids under the age of 4.. So laundry multiplies in seconds it seems. Your house is beautiful!. I also love a hot, hot bath when the kids are in bed! The only peace and quiet I get…

67. I actually crave the routine of every day being pretty much the same! Right now, with a two year old, every day is a little bit different. I can completely relate to the never-ending laundry pile (and so happy to see that it seems every other commenter faces the same challenge!). Thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful home and children, “messes” and all.

68. Christen says:

I think this is my favorite post of yours so far. I loved “following you around” for your day. And I’m pretty sure most moms do that with their laundry =)

69. sarah says:

kate,
    thanks for sharing your life. i always wonder how other moms blog and keep their house and cook dinner, and now i see that there are “behind” the scenes pictures that show you struggle just like the rest of us. i do more cooking and laundry, thereby less blogging….but i’m not blogging as my job either. i love my happy little life and the messes with little guy in the picture…. :)
    thanks for being real.

70. Hi Kate! Thank you for sharing “a day in the life…” Its so nice to see you with slippers on and laundry on the bed :) And like another commenter said – a schedule! That is what I need! I’m stuck at work 8-5 where the most I can do is sneak off to read blogs every once in a while, but I know I’d be more organized if I had a schedule for after work :)

Just curious – how much time do you spend blogging on the weekends?

71. antiquechase says:

a coffee maker on a silver tray? BRILLIANT :)

72. Melissa says:

So happy I found you through Pinterest! Your post just made me laugh. I am also an expert at sorting, washing and drying…it’s the finale I cannot ever get too! Ugh! Your home improvements are gorgeous! Thank you for being honest and for the inspiration!

73. I love hearing about other people’s days! I’m not sure why it is so exciting… but I think they are some of my favorite blog posts. It’s also really nice to see that other people have never-ending piles of laundry!!

74. Denise says:

Thanks for the peek into your life Kate. It’s good to know that you have help with the housework and that nobody is superwoman and can go everything! I also like the fact that you pick up a yummy and healthy lunch. Even though I work outside the home, I’m prone to pick up something because it’s cheap and it’s usually not necessarily healthy or tasty. We all need to be kind to ourselves, and it’s up to us to do it.

You continue to inspire!

75. My husband and I have a system. I put the clothes in the bag for washing. He takes the trips to the basement dungeon and washes and dries it. And, then I’ve asked him to dump it on the bed when it’s done. I (usually) fold it while he’s getting ready for bed. It’s a system that works for us :)

76. I love the pic with the laundry all over the bed. It’s a common sight here!

77. Amber Benike says:

Holy Crap I LOVED everything about this post! Those are amazing pictures! And they’re of everyday stuff! I do not have the guts to put my regular life out there yet, but I enjoyed yours! :) Thanks!

78. Valerie says:

I am SO glad to know that I’m not the only one bitten by the laundry bug! I do the exact same thing and often ask myself why it is so hard to just fold everything and put it away. Who knows. I’ll just keep trying! Thanks for a great post!

79. Angie says:

Loved this post…I always imagined you did all your painting while the kids were at school, but you probably don’t have to concentrate as hard as I do when I am trying to paint something – lol!
    I can only imagine the amount of time you have to spend on the computer to do what you do. The day goes by so fast (my 2 kids are the exact same age)! You do a wonderful job of replying to people. Thanks for being such an inspiration. One thing I’ve learned from you though is, you make spray painting look a lot easier than it is! It definitely takes practice. I’m still trying to figure out how to not get it all over my garage. And how to turn things when they are wet!
    I keep thinking I’m going to bump into you at a thrift store one of these days. :)

80. I love this!!! I once read about a woman who did one load of clothes a day and her system worked well. She never over did it, she never tried to to two. She just threw them in the wash when she woke up, changed them to the dryer in the afternoon, and folded and put up before bed. I would so do this but I don’t have a dryer! All line dry for me – but maybe it will help you! <3

Hey I hope so Angie, that would be fun! And yes the spray painting thing is a bit of a technique…. I have to lay down tarps everywhere and last weekend I didn’t do it enough so guess what residue is all over my driveway…oops. :)

I soooo need to do that Cat, thanks!

Hi Katie, great question! My weekends are always different but I take Friday nights to be totally with my family – we have “family movie night” and fold out the family room sofa with popcorn and a new flick, my kids are really into westerns these days, so funny! Saturday morning I spend a little time at the computer but I’m usually working on a project, or we have softball/T-ball, or a birthday party, typical family stuff. Sundays is church and then more work on the computer in the afternoon getting ready for the next day, but now and then we take the day to go to San Fran or get a babysitter to go wine tasting in the summer months – but our favorite is to take the family to a picnic to Sonoma just over the hill and just sit in the Plaza for a few hours with friends. Bliss. So to answer your question (sorry, rambling) I spend about 5 to 7 hours working on the computer on the weekend when I can squeeze it in – and I usually take a break from social media too, especially Twitter and FB… I like to check out on the weekends from those. :)

84. Angela says:

I am loving that headboard. I remember that you made it…could I talk you into making one for me?

85. Sarah says:

I don’t comment always but your blog is part of my daily reads, and has been for a while. I really enjoyed this post, and it added that touch of real-ness that’s needed on blogs. I think I’m a bit of a voyer because I love see how other people spend their day. Great post!

86. Megan says:

I too have an eternal struggle with laundry. I actually gave up on it and assigned it the husband and then we fought about it this weekend. Laundry is my nemesis. I too have a boring, suburban life fullof messes and lots of love. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Blogging with a 9 month old and a three y.o. is a bit tricky. It is weird to think some day they will go off to school and I will be blog in peace and quiet! They do grow up so fast, don’t they?

87. Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I love seeing the real side of people I know online, it’s a nice connection to otherwise imaginary friends :-)

88. Nancy says:

Thanks for sharing Kate..I love your little office buddy..I have one that looks a lot like her..She likes to lay on the windowsill beside my desk and soak up some rays..lol

89. Melinda says:

Beautiful home, beautiful family. i enjoyed a walk through your day thanks to Nap time Decorators facebook post!
    My solution for laundry is when removing from dryer shake out each piece, lay the socks, pants etc in basket, lay the shirts over the door of the dryer. At lease you have less wrinkled clothes, they are more ready to hang or fold…or flipped through.

90. K Newbold says:

Thank you for the info about the file cabinets! :-)

91. Megan says:

Looks like a darn good life! You’ve got a lot to be thankful for, as I’m sure you already know :) You have a beautiful family, and a fabulous kitchen!

92. Kim says:

Love the laundry piled on the bed – just like in our house! I often have to tell my daughter that her yoga pants are “on the red chair” – sigh. Laundry.

93. teresa says:

“…I have an incredible band of supportive moms. We all help with each other’s kids and their support is what really keeps me sane – I’m grateful for them every day.”
    oh how i envy you for that statement. i wish i had that and i think i would be more sane if that were the case.

94. janna says:

So can relate to that pile of laundry on the bed! My trick? If it gets too wrinkled it goes for a second round in the dryer-I never iron! Thanks for sharing and being real!

95. Holly says:

Love this post. And I love that you we have the same coffee maker. I LOVE my Cuisinart and it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. AND I love your Anthropolgie coffee mug, another item I had my eye on! And bless your heart for showing the pile of laundry in the middle of the bed. I’m glad to see my bed isn’t the only one that succumbs to that pile.

96. missys says:

oh i just love this esp the bedroom photo!! my bed looks just like that without those AWESOME pillows!! i am still coveting those zebra ones from z gallery but can’t jusifty the cost YET!! lol thanks for this post!!

97. Your house is gorgeous, messes and all.

98. statia says:

The laundry was the bane of my existence. I actually had a near mental breakdown over that exact same scene. I finally had my mother come and help in the beginning of the year, and now I’ve been able to keep up by doing a load every day. It takes ALL.DAY, but, I get up, put the last night’s load away, put the laundry basket out for my five-year-old, and he puts the laundry in the basket as part of his chores. I put a nice wicker hamper in the hall, and made it a habit for my kids to put their clothes in there. He feels like he’s accomplishing something (the allowance doesn’t hurt, either), and I get a little respite. I put it in first thing, and then throw it in the dryer at some point. I fold it before bed. It’s always a pretty small load. I take a break on Saturday. I feel much better. It was a suffocating feeling.

Thanks for the playroom picture. Messes are my kryptonite. It’s nice to see that no one lives perfectly.

99. Kate, this is probably one of my favorite posts. You’re a real person! Just kidding. Seriously, there’s lot’s involved in your day and it starts with discipline I’m sure. and oh B-T-W, the fix to large amounts of laundry is hang everything wrinkled! Works for me.

100. Sarah says:

I really enjoyed this post! You’ll love looking back on this one when your kids are older. Your house is still beautiful with the toys and laundry! Thanks for sharing!