The Quest for the Perfect Robin’s Egg Blue

January 23, 2012

I spent this weekend prepping and priming a dresser for a good friend in anticipation of painting it for her daughter’s room.  We’re sprucing up the space and repurposing some furniture and since the walls and daybed are white, I thought it would be absolute perfection if we painted the dresser robin’s egg blue. So off I went in search of the absolute perfect shade.

I adore this color so much I even use a version of it as a background on the ol’ blog. It’s that blueish with a bit of green and gray shade that in my opinion just makes the world a better place. It’s not turquoise or aqua, but not pastel or too green either.  Kind of airy and watery but not as bright as Tiffany blue, and always so so pretty when done right. I’m a total sucker for anything painted robin’s egg blue.

Like this console.

morgan harrison home buffet

via Morgan Harrison Home

Or these floors.

armelle blog robins nest

via Armelle blog

Or this ceiling.

house beautiful robins egg blue walls

via House Beautiful

I have a bunch of fan decks that I keep on hand and I do believe it may be a real sickness because not only do I prize my collection of fan decks but I also collect paint swatches everywhere I go, especially in shades of blue and green, being my favorites and all. I can’t help it. So I picked up a few more samples from brands I didn’t have around town on Saturday and then started to narrow it down.

robins egg blue paint samples

Moooo haw haaawww, my collection of paint swatches !!!!!!!

See, I told you. Sickness.

I obsess over choosing the right paint color and I can always use a second opinion so Coco got in on the action.  “This one… no this one… “

crazy coco picking paint samples

Here I thought she’d be helpful but she really is so fickle. I’m not sure she’ll make a great decorator, despite being born with perfect stripes. *sigh*

Over coffee on Sunday I started to whittle down my favorites and yes it’s true, I wholeheartedly admit comparing paint swatches is my idea of a really good time.

robins egg blue paint colors

These were all gorgeous, but a little too saturated and closer to Tiffany Blue.

tiffany blue paint colors

Then I regrouped and started narrowing down some favorites, eliminating ones that were too green…

closer to robins egg blue

And then finally narrowed it down to these five favorites:

top five robins egg blue paint colors

Because this is the ultimate color we’re going for…

robins egg blue dresser somerset bay cotton candy

via

Gorgeous right?

What about you? Have you discovered the perfect shade of robin’s egg blue?  Do you obsess over paint colors as much as I do?  Do share in a comment, I value your color suggestions, and more importantly, validation.

xo,

kate signature image

Tags: , ,

195 Responses to “The Quest for the Perfect Robin’s Egg Blue”

1. Crystal says:

My kitchen is BM Bird’s Egg. I LOVE it!! I agree, nothing like a little Robin’s Egg Blue.

2. Andrea says:

I love watery blues too! I used Bird’s Egg on my daughter’s ceiling and I love the way it turned out.

I share your sickness of hoarding paint swatches. But it’s so fun!

3. Laurie says:

Here’s a link from Tracey’s old website that has her recipe for Robin’s egg blue. I haven’t personally tried it but I have loved the look of the furniture she has painted: http://acottageindustry.typepad.com/a_cottage_industry/2007/10/another-little-.html

Laurie

4. K8 says:

I have to say that I really like “Watery” by SW and whatever the one at the very bottom of the first swatch picture on the paper. The smallest one at the bottom… Cant read the words but i think its purdy. I love the dresser in the last photo. I think it has the perfect saturation not too to soft as I get board with pastels…

5. Liz says:

I like this one: “Huls”, “Castaway Blue No. 7242T”

6. Allison A. says:

I need to join the club on obsessing over paint colors and collecting paint chips! A girl can never have too many! Robins egg blue is one of my favorites….actually I think it is my favorite. I won’t recommend any colors. It looks like you and Coco have it covered. Quite a cute helper you have!

7. Kelley says:

We painted our master bedroom in BM’s Beach Glass, with BM’s Healing Aloe (which is blue, not green!) on the ceiling. I was trying to coordinate with Pottery Barn Porcelain Blue bedding, and I just LOVE the results!

Nice choices you have there. If that dresser was in my house, I’d never be able to leave her side. ;)

8. Joyce says:

I am in love with these shades of color as well! Nice post!

9. I love those colors. You picked good ones – not to “bright/neon-y” if that makes any sense.

10. I totally obsess over colors! It’s far, far easier to select color for my clients than for myself. That must have been a tough selection, those colors are all so beautiful and at one point, although you look for nuance, you (at least I) have to say, either one will work if I’ve put such quality time into it. I’m convinced, too, that color choices are also somewhat arbitrary depending on one’s mood at the moment!

11. maura miller says:

beautiful! ‘watery’ seems to be the closest match. can’t wait to see the results!

12. Amanda says:

I’d like a job coming up with the names! Gotta just love “meandering”:-)

13. Cheri says:

This is my favorite color, my bathroom is painted Sea Sprite, I have accents of aqua in my office and dining room. I love greens and blues!! I have two boxes full of paint swatches, I just went thru them to throw away all the colors I would never use in my own home (reds, yellows and oranges). I love your website!!

14. Heather says:

I am so relieved to hear I’m not the only person with a secret paint swatch obsession!

15. Brenda Watts says:

So not brave enough to stray from neutrals but the last chest you showed is so lovely..maybe someday..sigh.

16. kelly arent says:

I love them all…but partial to Meander. I agree…I wouldn’t be able to part with her! Kinda like running a pet shelter….I would take them all home with me!! Would that make us “paint hoarders?” Hee Thanks for the great post…love following you.

17. Lana Waller says:

Love the color of the dresser in the last photo. Robin egg blue is beautiful, I do no have any walls painted that color, but would love a piece of furniture or the back of a bookcase or cabinet that color.
    Let us know which one you choose.

18. Being that you are asking, I vote for “Bird’s Egg” by Benjamin Moore. I find myself obsessing over colors too.. but then I just take the leap, or now I use “just jump” (got this phrase from a great blog story, Thistlewood Farm)..I find that the more opinions I get, the more confused I become..so “just jump” and go with your heart!

19. Annie W. says:

This post is so timely! I’m dying to paint my office Robin’s Egg blue and have been struggling to find the perfect color. I’m definitely going to try your suggestions.

20. Karen says:

Birds Egg looks wonderful. LOL! We all have our little obsessions, don’t we? Paint is so challenging. Last fall, when we refurbished our guest bathroom I wanted a gray…like blue, there are more shades of gray than I could have imagined. I went with London Fog, Benjamin Moore, but I always feel its a roll of the dice. That is, until I started paining an 18″ x 18″ drywall board with the color I thought I loved…it really helped to visualize an actual sized sample.
    Can’t wait to see your friend’s console.
    Karen

21. Angela says:

#4- Meander Blue from the photo looks very close to the color you’re looking for. #2- Watery would be my second choice. Each of the colors you chose actually are in the final piece of furniture pictured. Of course photography can be tricky too, changing the color value by making it look darker or lighter.

I am very obsessive about color. I have a tea cabinet that I’m not done painting, but just slapped a black coat on it to hold me over till I have time to paint it as I want. My nightstands I’m obsessing over right now. I don’t know which way to go as far as the color is concerned. When I get like this I just step back for a while and leave it alone until that ‘epiphany’ comes when I wake up in the middle of the night from a dead sleep and say “YES! OMG why didn’t I think of that color before?” LOL :)

22. SheilaG says:

I love Watery from your swatches the best, but all of them look beautiful and if you’re going to glaze over it, maybe one of the lighter ones would be better.?.

I have drawers full of color swatches and fan decks! All in my quest to find the perfect blue-gray (more blue than gray) for my bathroom. I gave up for awhile and painted a neutral (boring) tan, but I still long for that blue. Everything I’ve tried is either too bright (baby blue) or becomes too dark when I try to gray it down. The ceilings are slanted, so to keep it simple, I want to paint the walls and ceiling all the same color. That causes the problem with the color becoming too dark- any suggestions? :)

23. Thalie F says:

I’m presently obsessing over the perfect Ink Blue for an accent wall. Or maybe I’ll go for a deep gray… Decisions, decisons!
    As for your ultimate colour, I think a patina was applied over the base colour. Do you agree? It would make your search even more difficult… Good luck!

24. What fun! I had a heck of a time when I was choosing a blue for our armoire over a year ago (this post http://akadesign.ca/?p=1944 shows the change – the room has TOTALLY grown up since then btw. New floors, shelves, etc). I finally chose Beauti-Tone’s Quayside (Home Hardware). It doesn’t have much green in it, but it looks really pretty!
    Good luck choosing, Kate.
    xo,
    Shannon

25. Dawn Fritz says:

Wythe Blue from Sherwin Williams historical colors collection!

26. Lisa says:

WATERY

No doubt.

27. I love Sherwin Williams – Watery. I used it on the backs of my white bookselves in the Living Room.
    BTW – If you would like larger samples…you can go online to sherwinwilliams.com and order 8×10 swatches – and they will send them to you for free! Its a fantastic way to get a better feel for the color when making your pick.
    Good Luck – I can’t wait to see the results!

28. Sophisticated Stationery says:

Love this room! The color is beautiful!

29. Paula Pierce says:

I think any of those colors would work well for the desired effect. I just always have to remember to pay attention to paint performance of particular brands. The other thing I always seem to struggle with is the difference made by the color of the light in the room, and the color of the wall and other things that will be around the piece. (It seems that every time I change a lightbulb in my kitchen, my cabinets change color like a mood ring!)

30. Bobbi Gumino says:

I have used both Sherwin Williams Watery and Meander Blue! So funny!! One was in a big room with lots of windows, and the other in a small bathroom, and I cannot remember which one I did where. But both turned out great… In the past, on a few occastions, I have really botched the color selection process for my walls, so now I spend days/nights, weeks, sometimes even seasons choosing just the right color for my walls or wood. I will have swatched taped to my walls for a long time before I choose. I also have a love of a Sherwin Williams color Tidewater. It turns out lovely everytime!

31. Lots of suggestions on this one! I love the shades you’ve chosen…I adore the soft blues as well (even in my blog background!) A few I’ve used SW Waterscape in sloan’s room http://hisugarplum.blogspot.com/2011/06/babygirls-room-source-list.html

And my bedroom is SW Halcyon Green, with joining bath Quietude. Not sure why these are in the greens of the deck, but most certainly blue. Check that whole strip, there are some good blues.

32. Love the colors you have narrowed it down to. I have used BM’s Bird’s Egg in small doses and it’s lovely. I think you won’t go wrong with any of them. Can’t wait to see the transformed piece!

33. Nancy says:

Beautiful blues. Seems like I always am attracted to light blue. I call it sky blue. If I can’t find the blue color I want, I have them tweak the paint color til I am satisfied. I have a stash of paint chips. I was planning to paint one wall so I narrow down the choices and set up the color chip so I can see it for days or weeks in different light (sunshine, cloudy, incadescent, shade, etc.) I choose pastels because they make things look lighter, softer. I am sure the kitty helps to set the tone and ambience. Such a cute kitty ! Right now, I’m working on an art project. First choice was light blue background with vivid white letters. Beautiful.
    I so enjoy your website.

34. Rain says:

I love Robin’s egg blue. I used it on my ceiling in my old 1950’s modern kitchen. I had 1950’s white flat front cabinets with stainless appliances.
    Have you checked out Silver sage ~ Restoration hardware?? One of my new faves

Cant wait to see the final project

35. Megan Cornwell says:

i have been on the same quest for a few years now… this is my favorite decorating color :) i’d have to say we just moved into our home this summer and painted our living room and dining room martha’s enamelware. perfect robin egg blue… for me, anyway. good luck! :)

36. Rita says:

I think Wyeth Blue is Benjamin Moore but I could be wrong. It’s so nice to hear that someone else has the same addictions that I do. I am constantly collecting paint chips and writing down paint names and numbers. My daytimer is full of yellow sticky notes. You might consider Rainwashed by SW. It is light but really nice.

37. Nanci says:

I went and picked up a ton of these swatches today and if you are going to antique it, Meander Blue might be better than Watery. I love Watery but think it may look to muddy…don’t think there is enough saturation. Either that or the BM Egg blue. Can’t wait to hear what you choose. Now I’m trying to pick my perfect blue for our master bath..hmmm either Watery or Celtic Gray (Behr)

38. Nanci says:

OOps I meant BM Bird’s Egg (not Egg Blue) in my previous post.

39. Becky says:

Ooh- these are lovely, too! I’ve been staring at the paint chips for the robins egg blues you suggested to me a week ago, and keep changing my mind. :) I think I’ll have to head out and gather these paint chips too. They are lovely, and that last dresser is dreamy!!!!

40. Mary Anne says:

You simply MUST watch this video clip from and old Cary Grant/Myrna Loy movie, “Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House.” Myrna Loy is describing the paint colors she wants in her house. Love the ending! I thought of it as I read you quest for the perfect robin egg blue.

41. Mary Anne says:

Oops! Forgot to include the link!

hope the link works

42. Laura says:

Great post! I TOTALLY obsess over paint colors as much as you do and have been on a year long quest for the perfect grey for my guest room and only settled on a winner the other day (BM’s Coventry Grey) I LOVE Robin’s Egg Blue and think you can’t go wrong with BM’s Bird’s Egg. can’t wait to see the final product!

I LOOOOOVE that clip and that movie, thanks so very much for the link, fabulous!!!

44. Lisa says:

We used Watery by SW and Sea Salt by SW in our living room and just Watery in the bathroom. I love it!!!

But, I love these colors. So pretty!

45. Christie says:

I painted my old pine hutch “Almond” by Divine. I love it.

46. Sharon says:

The console looks like Annie Sloan’s Duck Egg.
    All the blue shades are pretty. I am also
    a paint chip collector. Glad to know there are
    several of us!!!

47. Kristen says:

I’m addicted to paint much to my poor husbands dismay. I never go into a paint shop or home improvement store w/o checking out the “oops” cans and usually come home with 1 or 2. As to your paint choices above I love them all but especially like number 4.

48. Susan W says:

I have to admit when I read the title of your post today I got very excited! I get compliments all the time on the wall color in my kitchen (white cabinets) which is BM’s Glacier Lake. It does not look like much on the swatch but is magic on the walls…loved it so much it is also in my dressing and bathroom too.
    I have been known to carry my color swatches when shopping to match shades for future use. Another good idea is to order a free color sample of painted furnishings from catalogs…
    P.S. I actually found a real robin’s egg shell in my garden and matched it to BM’s st. lucia teal 683.

49. laurie eller says:

kate, do you have a Porter Paint there? i too have looked high and low for a beautiful robin’s egg blue. after visiting a friend and admiring the paint color in her home, i begged for the name. it’s called Autumn Aqua by Porter Paint. i think they can match it anywhere since there’s a color code thingy online. :) i now have it in my sun room, work room and my bedroom. if i had my way, i’d paint my entire house in this color. it’s soo soothing. :) good luck on finding the perfect blue for you. :) laurie

50. Loribeth says:

I think the BM Bird’s Egg is the right one. It stood out to me in picture below the picture of Coco helping. Of course, you know the best way to decide is to buy a quart and try it first. That dresser in your final picture doesn’t look like it’s a solid blue. It looks as though there is a lighter wax over it.

I love picking out a ton of paint chips to pick a color. For our kitchen, I brought home dozens of chips, and kept ruling out different ones until I got down to four. When I got it down to four, I taped the chips on the wall and then let Jim pick the color he liked best when looking at them on the wall. He didn’t pick the one I was leaning towards, but it turned out to be the best color. It was more clean than the color I thought I wanted, and I know I’m a lot happier with it than I would have been with the other.

51. judy h. says:

Looks to me like the Benjamin Moore Bird’s Egg is right on for the color you’re wishing to achieve. I like your process of elimination. I have been trying for the last 6-8 months to find the right shade of a “grayed out lavender”. Just when I think I’m getting close and finally try a jar of sample paint, I’m astounded by how “far off” the shade is from the way I had thought it would. I’m about to give up! I think I’ve obsessed over it for so long now that I wouldn’t know it if I saw it! Good Luck!

52. Coline says:

Colour confident Coline from Canada here . . .

Centsational Kate ! Well done. Your work ( blog) is first rate.

Admitting you ( we ) have a “problem” is the first step to . . . nirvana. Colour matters.

So.

We move to our retirement condo this Fall. Our budget allows us ONE chance to get it right. Fortunately, I found an “old fashioned” painter who understands my quirky requirements and agreed to follow my colour dream.

Ceiling ? Pale pink, high gloss. Then ? Iridescent glitter, sprayed on while the paint is wet. Very popular in the 60’s . . . my era. The pink is said to reflect well on skin and be very flattering.

Floors ? Grass green plush wall to wall carpet. Why ? Copying nature, I guess.

Walls : butter pearl.

Trim : Robin’s egg blue.

The views ? Toronto’s harbourfront & islands, as well as the city skyline. One window looks at another condo. Solution ? ” Tiffany” window film.

Very exciting !

Shalom,
    Coline

53. Maria Meyers says:

Just LOVE your blog! You just solved one of my painting dilemnas. I’ve been on the search for the perfect robin’s egg color too. I have a long dresser like the one you show last and now I know what color to paint it. Now to find the time!

54. Hi,

Thank you so much for the intensive research, I find this blue is the hardest to define, sometimes a little too gray, other times a little too green. I have to admit I am a Benjamin Moore girl, so I usually go for the Bird’s egg blue.

All the best to you,

decogirlmontreal.com

55. thanks for featuring my studio floors!!

they are very close to benjamin moores robyns nest. i also painted my daughter norah’s room that color, you can see it on my blog too!

take care!

caroline

56. laura says:

Hi Kate,
    My sister and I embarked on the same search when painting her master bedroom a while back. We painted her room and the en suite bath with the Robin’s Egg from Benjamin Moore and were really happy with the result. However, it is hard to tell if it is going to give you the closest match to the chest in the photo. It may be a little too blue – Meander Blue may be a better fit for furniture.

57. Rebecca says:

Home Depot brand…forgot what it is!, carries a swatch that is called Robins Egg Blue, it’s a bit bright, so I have them mix it at 25% strength and it’s GORGEOUS!

Can’t wait to see your finished color!

58. Trina says:

I tend to copy nature whenever I can. My favorite time of the year is autumn. I can’t tell you the 1000’s of photos I have of autumn colors (greens, golds, reds, browns). I am in the process of redecorating & organizing my “new” office space. It was my son’s room but then he took over the basement family room where my office was located.

Right now the colors are purple & blue (good lord what was I thinking when I painted his room)! I can’t stand it anymore! So I’m looking for a sagey green & a chocolate brown. I found the brown, that was easy. Finding a green that’s not too yellowish or blueish is going to drive me virtually insane.

So I resorted to looking at 1000’s of photos searching for the brown I had picked & looking for Nature’s matching green. I think I found it…maybe.

59. Joanna May says:

Thank you for posting this! I painted my front door what I thought was a robin’s egg blue a few months ago – but it’s much too green. Your recommends give me better options for the repaint!

60. Marcy says:

I have a desk I refinished, very close to the dresser picture you posted last… we used Martha Stewart Egg Shell, in River Mist. I put a slightly black glaze finish on it and love how it turned out. I also used that color in my living and we have gotten so many compliments on it! Best of luck to you!

61. pammyg says:

I’m new to Pinterest and would love to pin your photo of your top five Robin’s Egg blues but can’t get it to work. Do you somehow have it blocked from pinning? If not, does anyone have any idea how to?

62. pammyg says:

Neglected to say… Thanks!

It’s right here Pam: http://pinterest.com/pin/120682464984511596/
    Thanks!

64. Marcie says:

I recommend that you abandon the search for the PERFECT Blue, and SURRENDER to the ENDLESS sea of blues for the rest of your life! I search only for the NEXT RIGHT BLUE (knowing full well that the range of sublime shades will tantalize me once again as soon as the project at hand is completed).

I’ve got the same array of blue swatches on my table right now, and a sprinkling of painted blue things around, and am still pining for more blue. For one thing, the LIGHT hitting a particular object changes the color and the experience, so the same “bird egg” blue in different locations has different results.

Despite owning multiple teapots, yesterday I bought ($6) a perfect oval teapot in the most seductive celadon blue glaze. I tried to resist but was overcome. And I accept it!

65. Michelle says:

I think I love Thunderbird by Benjamin Moore the best! I am trying to get the courage to paint a Pottery Barn dresser (it is black). It is scary to paint an expensive piece! I need to read through your tutorials again of painting furniture :)

66. Meredith says:

I did the same search this summer and agree with a lot of people, Benjamin Moore’s Bird’s Egg is a great color. I’m waiting for the weather to warm up so I can paint the interior of our back door this color.

67. Erika says:

Would love this color for a bathroom with some glass tiles. You just feel clean looking at it. I have to agree with the other readers, bird’s egg is my favorite. Good luck.

68. Lisa says:

I took a robin shell I found on the ground last spring to my local paint store in search of the perfect robin’s egg blue. I found that Benjamin Moore “hazy blue” is the perfect match–in eggshell–of course. I have a few other very pretty pheasant eggs that I have purchased for craft purposes and intend to find the perfect match for them as well. I think bird eggs provide some of the prettiest colors in nature…

69. Amanda says:

My living room and kitchen are painted in Sherwin Williams Quietude and I think it is the perfect color. In the mornings it looks more blue and in the evenings it looks more green but it always has that grayish undertone that just feels peaceful. I have gotten lots and lots of comments and know of at least 4 other families who have painted the same color all over their house. Just love it!

70. jenn says:

I am on the hunt for a great shade of grey for my living room, i love the grey color on wall of your top pic above in the dinning room. Can you tell me what color that is , and what brand?? Thanks so much..

71. I have two favorite colors you have to check out. I use this for ceilings. Palladium Blue by Benjamin Moore.
    And then a darker shade that I have in my kitchen is their historic color, Homestead Green. That is a bad title for the best blue ever. It will surprise you. It’s not green at all. I’m like you, obsessed with colors that remind me of the ocean and a collector of paint colors and fan decks. I love how the dresser ended up.

72. I forgot to say that the Palladium Blue and Homestead are Benjamin Moore colors. I always get Home Depot to mix them in their paint that has primer in it (unless its for ceilings).

73. Pamela says:

I did a lot of painting – entire basement, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and entire hallway up and down – to sell my house in the Northeast and a lot of painting the minute we moved in here in the Coastal South. The same color can read very differently in different parts of the country. Behr Celtic Grey and Dockside Haze looked wonderful up north. I had the colors mixed in Martha paint for better coverage. When I sampled those same colors on my walls here in the South they looked pastel and syrupy. Completely- wrong. I also wanted to use a higher grade of paint here since it was for me this time – not to sell.

For my new house I went with a combination of Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue in the great room to lighten it up – just the most perfect soft aqua grey color. Wythe blue was the color of the year last year for BM. It really is a sophisticated blue-green-grey. I used it for my entry hall, stairwell and upstairs sitting room. Finally I used BM Grenada Villa on a gallery hallway that bisects the house. This is a deep color in the teal green grey range and will look dramatic with paintings hung and lit. I am very happy with how it all turned out. My painter will only use Benjamin Moore for a whole host of reasons, not the least is which saving on labor.

74. What’s the direct link to that last picture of the dresser? That color is STUNNING and I have a dining room sideboard I would like to paint it in. If anyone knows, please let me know! :)

Serena
    From House to Home

HI Serena, yes, that dresser is so gorgeous, look for the direct link right under the picture!

76. Deb says:

Yes, I do obsess over paint colors. It is so easy to pick paint colors for clients but for myself it is so painful!!!

77. Kathryn says:

Love your blog! I painted the walls in most of my home River rock by Behr. It has the perfect amount of grey in it so it doesn’t look like baby blue. I’ve had several people ask me what color it is so that they can use it too.

78. Vicki V says:

I have used BM’s Palladian Blue in my dining room and on some furniture and LOVE it, as do most people who see it!

79. Lisa says:

My all time favorite paint colors are Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum colors (www.ellenkennon.com) and the best blue color is called “h2ahh”!!! My open plan living/ dining/sunroom are painted in that color and it is YUMMY!!!

80. Bekki says:

Thanks for sharing this. Just used this post to help my Mother in Law choose the perfect Robin’s Egg Blue to paint with! Great selection process, which I’m sure was helped by that lovely grey cat.

81. Lauren says:

I too am interested in the direct link for that last picture of the dresser! I can’t get that link to work, all it reads is “via”, with no link or connection. I LOVE it!!!

Sorry about that everyone, it’s from Sommerset Bay!

83. Kevin Graves says:

For me. the perfect Robin’s egg blue is to find an vintage Wedgwood Drabware coffee or tea cub with the drabware brown on the outside and the great robin’s egg blue inside. I think your best bet is the top color of the last five. Painted one room Martha Stewart Mourning dove and the ceiling is MS Mineral Green. (old paint)

84. Amy says:

Okay, so I found a Robin’s Egg in the front yard and in my quest, decided to bring a piece in to match to my swatch book. I ended up with Sherwin Williams Raindrop (6485) which is one tone darker than your Meander Blue selection. I think we have the right strip…just need to decide the value for our project. Mine, to paint my daughter’s dresser.

85. Katie says:

Check out sherwin Williams halcyon green. It is the closest I have ever found. Keep in mind that the new cfl bulbs will make a huge difference in how these appear. No one color will be perfect for every lighting situation.

86. blueeyes says:

Can anyone tell me what the comment meant from the person who had it mixed 25%. I am not seeing what I want in a lighter color of Robin’s Egg Blue and am wondering if she just lightened it by 75%? I still want serene and quiet for my bathroom, but there are no windows and so I don’t want too intense or too dark. Suggestions? Thanks!

87. Theresa Rizzo says:

I do obsess over colors, and my latest is robins egg blue. I thought I was close enough when I painted the chair rail in my kitchen Covington blue by Benjamin Moore. However, my walls are a neutral tan color and the chair rail looks way to light and pastelly for my taste. Now I want to find a way to mix in another shade to achieve robins egg blue. Oh my goodness, I thought my kitchen was finally finished!

88. Sandee says:

I just love Robin Egg Blue as well…just a “feel good” color! Very refreshing!

89. Janie says:

I was sitting with paint color samples on my lap while looking for the perfect shade of Robin’s Egg Blue, when I stumbled onto your site. I had to laugh as you described what you go through before narrowing down your choices, because you were describing me. I have colors taped all over a wall; I want to put wainscoting paneling from ceiling to floor in my bedroom, painting them Robin’s Egg. I’m so nervous about actually doing it. Has anyone else done this? Thank you for any comments.

90. mary coursen says:

Let me just say this is the best paint color site I’ve found. I’ve looked everywhere for the perfect greygreenblue/turquoish paint color for a guest bedroom….I obcess over color to the point where I dream about paint color cards coming at me at different angles….There are either too light too dark too bright or not that color at all on my wall. I have spent days and days of tireless searching going from one store to another…..ahhhhhhhh…..Please help. I have Krypton in my bath which is very small and this color gives it the perfect look. However, I don’t want to use it again in my guest bedroom. If you want a color for your bath…try Krypton SW, I have had so many people ask me what color it is! Now back to the subject at hand…..can anyone suggest some colors I should try. I have an Eastern exposure in that room. Thanks

91. Emily says:

This is the best. I’m now 23 weeks pregnant with our first child and we just bought our first home a few weeks ago. Green, yellow, and blue are my favorite colors and I thought for the longest time we’d go with yellow for the baby’s room because I like the happiness of sunshine and want to share that with our baby. But then one day several weeks ago (before we found out the gender) it occurred to me that I really wanted to use blue. I had no idea why until one day while listening to The Beatles, I realized why blue is best. “Because the sky is blue…” What could be better??

So I have since been resolved to use blue. Just a couple weeks ago, we learned she is a girl and I remain more resolved than ever to transform that unappealing shade of pinkish purple left by the previous homeowner into a beautiful, beautiful blue. Just went to Benjamin Moore yesterday to get the paint for our bedroom (Branch Brook Green) and couldn’t help but spend a minute eyeing the blues for baby. I was thinking maybe Fairy Tale Blue or Serenity until I ran across your blog this morning and couldn’t be happier to learn about Bird’s Egg. I think it might be absolutely PERFECT! Love your writing, your kitten, your color affinities, and thank you.

92. Roseann K. says:

I’ll be painting our bedroom Benjamin Moore’s Bird’s Egg. I can’t wait for the outcome!

93. Jen says:

I am painting my baby girl’s room and want the perfect blue to go with white furniture and hot pink accents; can you suggest which of these gorgeous blues you would recommend. The room is small so I want to make sure it’s a color that makes it look as big as possible. Thank you!

Hi Jen, I think any of them would work, they’re all lovely blues!

95. Grace says:

I love robin’s egg blue so much, I keep trying to fit it into my office. Or perhaps the kitchen? Oh yes, I love it for the bathroom but it won’t go with the towels I bought (thinking they were the perfect shade) that I’m stuck with. Question: My bedroom is in shades of mauve and purple (Benjamin Moore Violetta and Amorous) and I’m thinking of doing my office/craft room aqua. Is that crazy?