Stamped Tea Towels

January 9, 2012

Howdy y’all!  I hope you had a fine weekend.  Ours was spent organizing and planning, planning and organizing, but mostly tinkering around the house, cleaning up the remnants of Christmas and tucking it away in bins for next year.  Lots of neat things happened in the peace and quiet, we made plans to take a vacation this year and to make more changes to the house, it was both productive and relaxing.

Another project I worked in the midst of all that was these stamped tea towels. I’m a huge fan of block print fabric so I decided to mimic the look by using some old stamps in my collection and applying the pattern to tea towels to brighten up the kitchen.

diy stamped tea towels

To make your own, you’ll need the following:  tea towels, non porous flat surface, paint for fabric, fabric medium, sponge roller, rubber stamps, iron.

I used the Martha Stewart paints since they’re inexpensive, readily available (found mine at Michaels), designed for use on fabric, and they come in such nice colors. Be sure to buy the fabric medium, that’s what keeps your paint thin, soft, and washable.

fabric medium and paint

1.  If you want to make your own color, first mix it together, then 2. add the fabric medium after the color is mixed. I used about one part medium to one part paint.

mix paint and medium steps

Next, roll your paint on a nonporous flat surface (I wrapped a piece of plywood in aluminum foil).  4. Use the sponge roller to apply it to the stamp.  I found the color came out more even this way instead of placing the stamp directly into the fabric paint.

roll paint on stamp

Next, apply your stamp in your pattern of choice.  Sponge roll a light coat of paint before every single stamp for even color distribution.

begin stamping

Change colors and sizes to add interest!

continue with little stamp

I also made a second version with another old speckled stamp I had in my stash.

speckled stamp

The paints are water based, so cleanup is crazy easy, just a little water.

wash off stamp 2

Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours, then heat seal your paint with an iron. I placed a plain cotton sheet between the tea towel and the iron to prevent direct contact.

heat seal paint

Once you’re done, you have your own custom tea towels that are unique and completely washable.  I recommend a delicates setting on your washer, just to preserve all your hard work.

diy stamped tea towels cg

stamped tea towels

So pretty and so easy, and they make great gifts.  You can apply the same technique to simple cotton to make pillows or window panels too, have fun creating your own!

xo,

kate signature image

Pin It

132 Responses to “Stamped Tea Towels”

1. [...] found this fun, easy DIY project at Centsational Girl. I have to try this one [...]

2. [...] DIY Stamped Tea Towels by Centsational Girl [...]

3. jennie says:

Such a lovely stamp design too… in teal – one of my favourite colours.
    Lovely tutorial, i cant wait to get started, Jennie. x

4. These are the prettiest towels ever and love the colors. Love your blog!

5. Dawn says:

Looks great! I can’t wait to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial!

6. [...] 4 … fancy printing your own tea towels? If so, here’s a tutorial with pretty images at Centsational Girl. She makes it look so easy. [...]

7. So great….I will defintley do this :) I was searching for cute tea blue or yellow tea towels for ever :)
    xoxo
    Rasha

8. Becky says:

These look great. I love your color choice, so fun and bright!

9. Melissa says:

This is just amazing! I was wondering where you got your white tea towels from, though? I cannot seem to find them. My friend bought me a gorgeous set of stamps a few years ago, and I think making a set of these towels would be perfect!

10. What beautiful work you do. I just love towles.

11. Holly says:

Where did you find your stamps?

Hi Holly, I’ve had them for years, one I found in a boutique in San Francisco – the large medallion is by Paper Source and the speckled version by All Night Media. Hope this helps!

13. Kara says:

This is such a great idea!! I am making these for the bathroom at my wedding reception!

14. Kara says:

Hi Kate! Where did you find the tea towels? I have looked all over and cannot find smooth towels that are not looped on both sides. Help!! Thanks!!

15. Emily says:

Just for those wanting those stamps– they are still available at paper source! I went there looking to find something similar to try these out myself.

16. I’m a little behind on jumping on this bandwagon, but I can’t wait to try it! I’ll have to sew myself up some new muslin tea towels, and it’s perfect excuse to use on the hubby.

17. Rosalyn Seipel says:

Love the look of the towels. But I cannot find them in this area. Any ideas where I can find them?

Hi Rosalyn, I would check your local housewares or kitchen stores, or even a restaurant supply company!

19. Emily says:

Just bought a 5-pack of flour sack towels for 5 dollars at my local Walmart. Can’t wait to try this out!

20. laura says:

has anyone found the speckled stamp yet? I found the other 2 which Iam going to order now but can’t find the other one?

21. katie says:

This is beyond gorgeous! What a wonderful idea!!!

22. Frances says:

Uh oh! I didn’t know about the fabric medium… Will my painted tee shirt be ok in the wash??

Not sure Frances, I can’t guarantee it will, wash it by hand or on a gentle cycle when you’re ready and let us know how it held up!

24. I’m in love with this idea and the possibilities are endless. Will be a great project to do with my girls on a rainy day! These will make wonderful Christmas gifts too! Thanks for sharing, pinned!

25. Krissy says:

Instead of heat setting with the iron, do you think it would be possible to do it in the dryer? I don’t have an iron and no space for the board lol

I doubt it Krissy, sorry! I think the iron’s heat is the key for heat set paint but I’m not 100% on that.

27. Beckie says:

These are SO perfect for my kitchen!!! Gorgeous!

28. Elnora says:

I’m wondering about what exactly the printed tea towels can be used for? I’m excited to try this project for some Christmas gifts for friends and family but can they be used as napkins, or dish drying towels? Not sure how “tea towels” are specifically used. Thanks!! :)

Hi Elnora, they can be use for anything in the kitchen, for drying dishes or for decorative use.

30. Carissa says:

I found your project on this site: http://www.surprisediy.com/diy-338.html which appears to be scraping your content. :-( Anyway, I just wanted to let you know in case you are interested in pursuing it.

31. Traci says:

Thanks for the awesome idea! These would be great to personalize with relevant colors and give as gifts.

32. Karina says:

I love your towels. This is how I design my own stamp.