Polished Powder Room

January 17, 2012

Hey everyone, I managed to snap a few shots yesterday of the upgrades to the downstairs powder room!  Freshening this space was one of my Home Goals of 2012 and I’m loving the new look.  This downstairs bathroom is just 3’ x 8’ but a few changes added some real drama to this space.  Here’s how it looked two weeks ago:

powder room before

Here’s how it looks today!

kates powder bathroom

I added beadboard wallpaper last week, then painted the upper portion of the walls a deep mushroom gray.  I also replaced the light fixture, the window shade, and the mirror with the one I mentioned with the winter mantel.  This small powder room now feels much more sophisticated, dramatic, and modern!

I have no problem mixing metallic sheens, in fact I think it makes a space more layered and interesting.  Although the glass shelf supports and the faucet are chrome, the mirror’s frame is an antique gold and I really love the medley!

painted walls bellesol mirror

powder room mirror cg

Here’s an image of the other side before the changes.  I reused the same Eiffel Tower and Montmartre prints I bought at a street faire in Paris in 1999, I still love them so much I just repainted the frames white to contrast with the new richer paint color.  The golden tones in the woven shade also complement the natural wood floor.

half bathroom before

rear of powder room cg

So pretty right?  And how about that crazy cool light fixture!  I was looking for something unexpected and this modern petal orb fixture seemed just right (also much better than the icky florescent bug collector thing that was there before).

Here’s the source list:

Mirror: 31” Bellesol from Ballard Designs, on sale last year at $120

Glass Shelf: found at Pottery Barn ten years ago, similar versions here

Candle on shelf: Whole Foods (clearance)

Window shade:Levolor (cut to fit at Lowes) $42

Light fixture: Possini Ceiling Mount White Orb Flower $90, but you can find a similar pendant like this one at IKEA for less

Paint: ‘Seine’ by Valspar

Striped hand towels: Kohl’s (clearance)

Beadboard wallpaper: available here and here

* * * * *

I hope you love the changes as much as I do!

139 Responses to “Polished Powder Room”

1. Debbie W says:

It looks great! Love the beadboard wallpaper!!!

2. LOVE this makeover. Simple yet sophisticated. The light fixture and mirror are swoon-worthy :)

3. The mirror is beast (sorry, that is the term in my house for the week…happens when you have 12 year old twins. btw…beast = completely awesome ;)
    Love it all!
    Trac

4. sue says:

Wow, that is the prettiest 24 square feet I’ve seen, great job!!

5. It looks great, love the color! I’ve been wanting to try that wallpaper…maybe now!
    Debbie

6. laurie says:

Oh la la! It looks great. Love the darker wall color.

7. Mindy says:

I do love it. I especially love the mirror and the new grey!

8. Katy says:

OMG I love this!! That paint color is perfect….I’ve been trying to find a darker color for our guest bathroom and this may be it! Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Lisa says:

I love this bathroom…especially the light fixture. I am noticing the curtains as well, did you make these??

10. Looks great! I love the mix of metals and natural finishes.

11. Glenda says:

Kate, your looking good! I love the rich color. Thanks again for the inspiration. Your amazing!

12. It looks sooooooo great! I am going to try the beadboard paper.

13. Paige says:

That wallpaper makes a huge impact! I had no idea they made beadboard wallpaper.

14. Sue says:

This looks so classy! I am so into gray these days, and am slowly weeding out the browns. I only wish I liked to paint because I would hire it out if it didn’t cost so darn much. I would much rather paper, which is something most people find harder to do.

15. Tiffany says:

I love that paint color, everything was put together so well. Thanks for sharing with us.

16. What a difference – the mirror is fantastic and the breadboard wallpaper too. I have the same light fixture waiting to be hung in my daughters room!
    Kelly

17. Lindsey says:

It looks beautiful! I love the paint color and the mirror, and the beadboard makes such a huge impact! This looks great!

18. Justine says:

Oh my goodness! Your hanging light fixture? I did the EXACT same thing in my dining room! See: http://stopmeifyouveheardthisone.com/2011/12/11/a-little-light-augmentation/

Great minds.. :)

19. Your new powder room looks beautiful!! Loving that light fixture!

20. Tracie@Gurtler+Home says:

That looks really good. I was wondering if you would ever consider selling your old mirror. That would really match the style of my powder room. If not I would love to know where you had gotten it. Thanks.

Tracie

21. It looks fabulous! Subtle, stylish changes. I especially love the mirror and beadboard! Where did you get the towel holder from? I love that it swivels and holds two towels.

22. carmel says:

The mirror looks great in there! I love mixed metallics. I want to use that wallpaper in my powder bath too, but first I need to remove the paper the previous owners put up in there!

23. Jill says:

Gorgeous & inspiring, as always :)

24. sarah says:

love it. we are working on our downstairs bath right now, too. waiting on new flooring to complete the look!

25. Love the paint color! I might try it out in our bathroom makeover: http://wrighthouseaffairs.com/2011/10/27/be-afraid-be-very-afraid/ (of which phase 1 is starting this week!)

Thanks for sharing!

26. Maureen says:

Fantastic updates! So fresh and light!

27. Kate absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Love all the changes! I’m really lovin’ that mushroom gray. You have inspired me to look at some mushroom gray’s for our Great Room now. I’ve been looking for a gray I love. This might just work….but it has to be something lighter, but since I love Valspar’s colors, I’m going to check some of them out. Thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy your newest project!!! :)

28. Kathy C. says:

WOw.. the room looks so elegant and beautiful! Love the light fixture! I tagged you in a post on my blog today. Hope you can get a chance to check it out! http://lovelacefiles.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag-im-it.html

29. Rose says:

Absolutely beautiful. You did a wonderful job!

30. Heather says:

Wow, Kate!!

Great makeover- you are so talented! I absolutely love the mirror! What a spectacular focal point to the bathroom!!

I have been lusting after the mirrors at Ballards and Z gallerie for a while now….Maybe my hubby will get me one for Valentine’s Day??? A girl can hope!!!

I love the colour ‘Seine’ that you chose. Ironically it seems to closely match a colour I am blogging about in my 2012 Paint Colour Trend Series this week, ‘Compass’, in the Safari Escape pallette by Behr, which I am posting tomorrow.

Would love anyone to come by my blog to say hi!!!

Heather at settingforfour.blogspot.com

31. Susie says:

I love the new look of your Powder Room. I recently purchased some bead board wallpaper at Lowe’s. After you put up yours did you paint it or leave it alone? Mine says its paintable … just not sure if it will look ok if it’s not painted? Thanks, Susie

32. you have kicked off the start of the new year RIGHT! awesome light bright crisp space!

33. It looks beautiful! I love the mix of modern and traditional, silver and gold, light woods with dark walls. It came together in a unique, lovely way.

34. Wow! What a dramatic improvement! Love the paint color. Congrats on completing a 2012 goal!

35. So pretty! I’m in the middle of a powder room update also! Love the new wall color you chose!

36. colleen pisaneschi says:

Triple Wow – and I liked it before, too! That wallpaper is on my list now, and so much of the new is gorgeous – great job (as usual)!!!!!

37. Tiffany says:

LOVE! It looks absolutely amazing! I especially love all of the variety in colors and finishes in there. Gives such interest in a small space! We are building our powder room in our house and I have to finalize my vision. Sadly, we have no windows in there to bring in light! Thanks for the inspiration!

38. laura says:

where did you get the mirror? Lovin your new bath redo

39. It looks amazing! Love the warmth the antique gold mirror and bamboo roman shade brought to your powder room. Sometimes small touches could transform a room like what you did. Great job!

40. Wow! You weren’t kidding about that resolution list- way to tackle it head on! I love the beadboard wallpaper- it gives the space so much substance. I think the mirror and new paint add a lot of beautiful drama and sophistication too. Great job, I love it!

41. Emily says:

Great stuff! I wasn’t sure about the window shade at first, but when you explained how it goes with the floor, I went, “Ohhhhh”. The floor doesn’t show too much in your photos, which is why I was so confused at first! But I get it now. Nice job, nice job.

42. Adrienne says:

Love the transformation. I was wondering how you go the bead board wall paper on behind the sink. Did you cut around the sink or did you remove the sink, and put the wallpaper up behind the sink? I was thinking about doing some kind of board and batten or picture molding in our bathroom, but since there are so many obstacles to work around, I’m a bit hesitant.

43. What a transformation! Love it!

44. Peggy says:

Love the dark taupe. I’d be spending a lot of time in that bathroom!

45. Oooooh. SO posh, Kate! The paint color you used is just perfection to make all of the white accents really pop! And that light fixture? Um, yes, please!

I have to admit that the only thing that didn’t sell me was the striped towels, which seemed a tad “kitchen-ish” for such a sophisticate space.

Maybe I’m just not getting their full effect.

But the overall feel is absolutely gorgeous!

Hope your Tuesday is fabulous!

46. i love love love the way the pictures look now with sprayed frames. I wasnt loving the original. now they are way more interesting looking. but i have to say I dont love the light fixture. probably because its too ikea looking to me.

Erin

47. Rebecca Silbaugh says:

Looks wonderful, but I have a question for you if you have a sec… I have been looking to spruce up my sewing room and I’ve been tackling it little by little, but I’m still in search of the perfect light fixture and I LOVE the one you found, but will it give off enough light for a 10x12ish room? I need style and function. Thanks for the pictures, the room looks great! Wouldn’t change a thing!

48. Denise says:

WOW! Love everything, especially the mirror.

Gorgeous makeover Kate!

49. That bathroom is tiny but gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! I love it!

50. It’s amazing how adding and switching around a few things can change the feel so much! Love how the mix of colors and textures makes the space feel so much richer!

51. Nancy says:

Oh it is lovely!! It is warm and sophisticated! You did a great job and it makes me want the contractor to come right now!! Thanks for all the info!
    Nancy

52. Denise V. says:

Absolutely stunning. The darker color definitely adds elegance, and what a dramatic effect the wallpaper adds. Nice job.

53. Kate, it really looks fabulous!!! I love the color contrasts and the textures … to me those are the details that makes a room so interesting to look at! And you got it right!! LOVE! xo

Hi Rebecca, it’s single bulb fixture and moderately bright … note you can only use a 40 watt bulb. I’m not sure if it would sufficiently light a 10 x 12 room to your satisfaction, but you can always add a lamp or two for more!

55. Jennifer says:

Beautiful! I may have missed this, but where did you get the towel holders?

56. Your powder room looks fantastic! I especially love the mirror. And the light fixture – I have the IKEA version in my bedroom. Love it!

57. Danielle says:

How beautifully appropriate that the paint colour you chose is called ‘Seine’?! Love this whole transformation – sooo gorgeous!

58. allie says:

hey girl! i love your work!

allie

59. Girl, you don’t waste any time on your goals! This is fabulous…love the texture with the shade, and the new wall color looks great. The light fixture is so cool. I’ve seen the IKEA one and wondered how it would look in a “real” space–it looks amazing! Adds lots of interest.

60. That mirror is pure perfection!! I love it!

61. jeannie says:

The bathroom looks great! I’m also thinking about a new look for a small bathroom I have. How light and airy!

maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

62. Jackie B says:

Turned out great! I just sent a bunch of those towels to college with my kid!!! I love the beadboard wallpaper. I used “knockdown” paintable wallpaper here in the Chicago area almost fifteen years ago when it first came out. Painters here would scratch their heads when I said that I wanted knockdown (orange peel) on my walls. I would say everywhere in the US has it except us! And others would ask why on earth would you paint wallpaper! I might have to have a go at this new version. Beautiful.

63. I love it!! It is so pretty! I was admiring your wallpaper last week, and now it’s so fun to see the room with all the pretty “finishes”. Love!

64. Kerry says:

Love it – Where did you get that towel holder?

65. Allison A. says:

It’s stunning, Kate. Modern, classy and glamorous!

66. Amy says:

Kate – the powder room looks so pretty with the contrasting colors and the different textures! Did you paint the room by hand or did you utilize your sprayer? I have a Wagner paint sprayer but I have been too scared to use it on the walls/ceiling inside my home. I look forward to your review of your paint sprayer.

67. ohhhhhhh I dont know why the picture dont seem to open :( I even restarted my laptop

68. laxsupermom says:

Gorgeous makeover! I love the richer color, and the beadboard wallpaper sets it off beautifully! Love the new mirror, too! Thanks for sharing.

69. beautiful! This is really nice, I love the color and the beadboard wallpaper, and the mirror especially! Great job!

70. Ann says:

I love the light fixture and the bead board! WOW I want it!! nice job.

71. craftlover says:

Wow, you have some talent girl. Love your stuff…. I’ve been following you on facebook and pinterest for some time and just adore your work 100%.

72. Yes! Yes I do love the changes as much as you do! Love, love, love. :)

73. I love the new room! The color is spot on and the wallpaper is a nice touch! Brava my DIY sister :)

74. Kate says:

what a lovely powder room!! I love the beadboard wallpaper. I have it in my guest bath as well.I love all the details.

Kathy

75. Hyde says:

This totally reminds me of these rooms I saw that Lenny Kravitz (YES THAT LENNY KRAVITZ) designed!

76. Kristen says:

I love it…especially the color, it makes the white pop! I also bought the Eiffel Tower print on a street in Paris in 1999:) funny. Quick question, I have textured walls so do you think the beadboard wallpaper would work on that?

77. Nicole says:

It is beautiful! Quick question, what was the original color (the blue/grey) of the bathroom before? I love it, and want to paint our bathroom something similar.

78. It’s beautiful, Kate! I think the beadboard looks wonderful–classic yet fresh. And I loved the color of your walls before, but the new grey color is so sophisticated! My favorite thing, though? The mirror! Gorgeous!

79. Rita says:

I used the beadboard wallpaper from Lowes and was VERY disappointed. It shows every little nick. (Even your fingernail!!!) The area around the towel bar and the toilet paper holder is all hacked up. VERY disappointing. I ordered a sample from Graham Brown after I had completed my mini-makeover…and I tested it…by dropping a soup can on it…it “bounced” right back into shape.

What brand did you use? Curious on your thoughts!

80. Ruth says:

It is absolutely beautiful! I love it! I’ve had my eye on that Ballard mirror, too!!

81. Becky says:

Kate, love the new color but actually the old color would look great for my project! Do you know the name by chance? Thanks!!!!

82. Shaunna says:

Well, of course, we do! It’s gorgeous. Has me even more excited about painting Ava’s room charcoal. Perfection. Great job, friend!
    :-)
    shaunna

83. kristen kuhns says:

TOTALLY OT but someone HAS to buy this set – only $200~~~ I’d take it in a hot minute but my husband hates this style (and he hates velvet; yes, he’s weird)

Seriously, someone take this, put it in a beautiful room and post pics!!! :)
    (North Bay SF area)

84. TVs Take says:

LOVE it – so much so that I just ordered the mirror from Ballard designs. My powder room is about 3.5 x 8 as well.
    Thanks Kate! Your taste is fantastic

85. HannahJ says:

LOVE IT- so fresh and such a huge improvement- and I lOVE the little glass shelf- i totally will be using that idea in my upcoming tiny powder room redo!!

86. I redid my master bathroom and toilet with beadboard wallpaper back in November…..I feel so ‘with it’ now that you are doing it too!!!! I love the look, and figure the wallpaper can be freshened up in the future with a coat of white paint. Your powder room is lovely, once again you have pulled off a fabulous re-do, thanks for sharing!

87. Doris Davis says:

Oh My…. I love the light fixture as well as everything about the makeover! Thanks for the before and afters!!

88. Lori B. says:

It’s beautiful! The new paint color really changed the overall tone of the room and it looks great with the bright white beadboard wallpaper!

89. Kate, it’s beautiful! Love the mirror and that cute light fixture. I so need to renovate baths in my home. Thanks for the inspiration!

90. Liz says:

This is so loverly. I think the orb flower makes it.

91. This looks so beautiful Kate! I totally have the same light fixture in my dining room. I love that it adds a big dramatic POP to a room! I feel you’ve really made the room look a lot bigger and tres chic!

-Sarah

92. Vel says:

Awesome as ever! Great job Kate! I’m lookin’ forward to fixing up our powder room too this coming Spring! I love the wall color you used! But I think I’ll be doing my first stenciling project on this one! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

93. iris says:

The remodel is *gorgeous*. ‘Especially love that mirror. Such a statement piece!

94. Dalia says:

My word! That is stunning! I was wondering how you were going to make it better than it was, now I know. Gorgeous!

95. Love it! What a huge transformation, it looks alot more spacious than before. Great job Kate!

~Mandy

96. Brittany says:

Looks great! I am really loving the wall color.

97. Sheila says:

The transformation is AMAZING!

98. Trying to decide what is my favorite thing in your transformed powder room is; however, I love it all. It is evident that you thought through every detail and it all came together so graciously. So very idyllic again!!..your “idyllic expressions” shine through over and over again.

99. SheilaG says:

I loved your before and hated the thought of change, but you are right again- it looks so good! I’m glad you mentioned mixed metallics- my bathroom has a mix and I was wondering if that was a big no-no. The gold on your mirror picks up the gold in the shade and it all works together so well!