Polished Powder Room

January 17, 2012

Hey everyone, I managed to snap a few shots yesterday of the upgrades to the downstairs powder room!  Freshening this space was one of my Home Goals of 2012 and I’m loving the new look.  This downstairs bathroom is just 3’ x 8’ but a few changes added some real drama to this space.  Here’s how it looked two weeks ago:

powder room before

Here’s how it looks today!

kates powder bathroom

I added beadboard wallpaper last week, then painted the upper portion of the walls a deep mushroom gray.  I also replaced the light fixture, the window shade, and the mirror with the one I mentioned with the winter mantel.  This small powder room now feels much more sophisticated, dramatic, and modern!

I have no problem mixing metallic sheens, in fact I think it makes a space more layered and interesting.  Although the glass shelf supports and the faucet are chrome, the mirror’s frame is an antique gold and I really love the medley!

painted walls bellesol mirror

powder room mirror cg

Here’s an image of the other side before the changes.  I reused the same Eiffel Tower and Montmartre prints I bought at a street faire in Paris in 1999, I still love them so much I just repainted the frames white to contrast with the new richer paint color.  The golden tones in the woven shade also complement the natural wood floor.

half bathroom before

rear of powder room cg

So pretty right?  And how about that crazy cool light fixture!  I was looking for something unexpected and this modern petal orb fixture seemed just right (also much better than the icky florescent bug collector thing that was there before).

Here’s the source list:

Mirror: 31” Bellesol from Ballard Designs, on sale last year at $120

Glass Shelf: found at Pottery Barn ten years ago, similar versions here

Candle on shelf: Whole Foods (clearance)

Window shade:Levolor (cut to fit at Lowes) $42

Light fixture: Possini Ceiling Mount White Orb Flower $90, but you can find a similar pendant like this one at IKEA for less

Paint: ‘Seine’ by Valspar

Striped hand towels: Kohl’s (clearance)

Beadboard wallpaper: available here and here

* * * * *

I hope you love the changes as much as I do!

139 Responses to “Polished Powder Room”

1. jennie says:

You have such vision! Wonderful and I love that mushroom grey colour with the mirror. ;-)
    jennie. x

2. Love, love, love it! The wainscotting and paint look fabulous, as does the mirror.

3. I love the new color. It’s amazing how going darker made the room look bigger. The beadboard paper probably did the trick. The light is absolutely beautiful. I love your glam powder room.

4. lisa says:

Hi Kate,

Love the new bathroom. It’s beautiful. Which size of the Ballard mirror is that you used?
    Thanks!

5. Erica says:

I love the change! I just painted our bathroom a similar color, Granite by Benjamin Moore and going with turquoise shower curtain from Kohls and black and white photos of our kids, our cupboards are black. I have the same window treatment with a black curtain around it. I can’t believe the difference painting your frames! Love the light fixture!

6. What a fab transformation. I too love the mix of metal finishes and that mirror is just stunning. Great job.

7. Andrea says:

So inspired right now! Going to make a DIY to do list for our bathroom right now.

8. great job, awesome gal. LURVE. ;}

9. shannon says:

Yes the room looks great, but what I wonder about is how do you find the time to do it? I mean, you are just a human, right? And you just finished the holidays like most of the rest of us. And you have kids. Are they all in school? Is that when you get all this work done? I mean it would have taken us two months to do that bathroom. It makes me know I’m not doing something right. I do have two kids homeschooling this year and two in school but it doesn’t feel like a good enough excuse comparing all you do. Do you hang out with your husband in the evenings? Or is that painting time for you? Sigh. I want to get more done… Do I have to drink coffee? :)

Hey Becky, the old color was ‘Silver Sage’ by Restoration Hardware… it’s beautiful!

11. It looks stunning! Guess what! My bathroom is gray, my mirror looks exactly like your old one and we have the exact same towels hanging in our gray bathroom. Great minds think alike! :)

12. Really great job. Love the surprise of the fun ceiling light!

13. Michelle says:

Beautiful! Love it!

14. Laurie says:

Absolutely beautiful! Love the color and the accessoriers you chose. I’m a big fan of beadboard wallpaper!

15. Nancy says:

That is such a great look for such a tiny room..The ceiling light is awesome..love it Kate!

16. Lori says:

So glad you shared this great bath…I have one just like it except that it is under the stairs, so no window…Still trying to figure out what I am going to do with it (as soon as I get there that is). Love your blog, Lori

17. Jen says:

Wow, seriously such a dramatic before and after with such simple upgrades. Divine as always. Love the wall color, mirror and pendant. Bringing in the white frames and wallpaper wainscoting really brightens it and adds fantastic drama.

Now I want to add “update bathroom” to our 2012 project list, lol!

xoxo!
    Jen

18. Tina B says:

Ok….I have been wanting to install the beadboard wallpaper in our guest bath…but…I hesitate…because I don’t know what to do with the pedestal sink? Did you remove the sink to install the paper? Or did you install the paper and caulk around the sink? Please oh please…give us detailed instructions on how to re-create this wonderful look. :)

Thanks, Tina
    tinab158 at hotmail dot com

19. andrea says:

I’m with Tina B. Can you give us some hints on how to work around the pedestal sink?

Hi Tina and Andrea, it was trickier, I had to go really slow to work around the pedestal and the plumbing, I just used my finger to “carve” the edge into the paper as I worked my way around it, then carefully and slowly cut it with the scissors. Hope this helps!

Hi Shannon, please don’t feel bad! We’re all different in the way we use our time, I guess I’m a big multitasker! I painted the bathroom while watching the football game in the background with my hub, we make it a priority to spend time together in the evening, and I’m always present for my kids between 3 and 6 from the time they get home from school till dinner time. And yes, coffee helps!

Hi Rita, I did use the Lowe’s brand (Allen + Roth I think) but I’ve read good things about the Graham & Brown version… thanks for letting us all know!

Hi Kristen, if you have lightly textured walls like me, you can get away with it. Someone suggested in an earlier comment a liner for textured walls, or you can retexture the surface yourself. Heavily textured walls like knockdown will likely show through the wallpaper.

24. OMG! This is SO gorgeous!!! I love everything about it! Well done :-)

25. Nora says:

I love how the paint color is Seine with the pictures from Paris!

26. Kimberly says:

I love the light fixture.

27. Heidi says:

I am drooling over that mirror and light fixture. Just beautiful!

28. Jessica says:

Thanks for mixing those finishes up. I’ve had the opportunity to decorate my own living room for the first time ever and have had a lot of fun mixing golds, tarnished silver and pewter. I was sort of self-concious about it but I’m glad this look gets your thumbs up. :)

29. Nancy says:

Wow! I loooove it!!! But I’m loving the before mirror, where is it from or would you be willing to sell it?!? what a wonderful makeover makes me want to go to the bathroom lol

Nancy, you can find that Before mirror at Lowes’s for about $60!

31. Nancy says:

Omg thank you!!!!

32. It looks great! Love that color– I’ve been seriously crushing on charcoalish brown lately.

33. Kayleigh says:

Wow this bathroom is stunning! I was looking at that Bellesol mirror at Ballard and now after seeing this post I am getting it!!! So fab! You did such a wonderful job!

Kayleigh
    @ The Gotta Have It Girl

34. Tania says:

What a great update! Love the bead board wallpaper and considered it for my powder room re-do but decided to go with two-tone paint instead. Love your mirror too! I just finished my powder room too and ended up painting the vanity and installing a new marble top. Thanks so much for your inspiration, as always!

35. Meaghan Smith says:

This looks so great! I would like to do the same thing in my powder room but I have rounded corners. Do you think it would still work?

I don’t see why not Meaghan!

37. Maura says:

Hi Kate! Help!
    Looking for some guidance. I have the same color paint on my dining room walls and a similar color floor as the one in your bathroom. I plan on getting the slip coverered chairs you have in your dining room in off white. Can you tell im a fan?! Im wondering what kind of area rug you would choose? I like the newer designs like they have on dash and albert but cant seem to figure out what would look best. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

38. Cadie says:

I’m completely in love with this look! Never in a million years would I think that wainscoting could be done with wallpaper. It looks so clean and polished. I have a guest bathroom that I’m going to try this with. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a miter saw to do the chair rail. What to do, what to do? :)

The paint color looks awesome too! Great job!

Hi Cadie, see if your local home improvement store will make the cuts for you!