Master Bedroom Update

August 22, 2011

Hey all, hope you had a great weekend!  We did a lot of lounging around, but I also took the time to snap a few photos of some of the changes I’ve made to our master bedroom over the last few months.  How about a quick tour?

Me and my mister have gone around and around in our master bedroom, him always representing in the left corner Mr. Traditional Lover of Dark Wood Antiques with me in the right corner as Mrs. Classic White Meets Touches of Modern.  The tricky part has always been how do we find a happy compromise ?  The agreement finally came to this:  If he gets to keep the dark wood antique dressers he’s so fond of, I get to pick the paint colors, fabrics and accessories.  Deal!

We both agree on one thing, we prefer soothing colors in our master. It’s a place to withdraw from the world, catch up on our reading, and on much needed zzzzzs.  I like to keep it in the neutral zone, but then play around with patterns. This year, I added a little bit of graphic, a touch of zebra, and a hint of Ikat in the sophisticated blue grays, taupes, and champagne tones I find so appealing.

centsational girl bed linens

Yes, you can see, I did paint over the trellis wall!  Long story short, I wanted something less olive, much lighter and more gray, plus this Devon mirror and the linens were competing, so we said goodbye to the stenciled trellis wall and replaced it with the focal point mirror over the bed!  You like?

Under the window next to the bed, I tucked the little loveseat that I slipcovered last year in linen.  I found the Worlds Away gold leaf end table at One Kings Lane, and earlier this year wrote about the golden thrift store coffee tableIkat pillow from Pottery Barn, lattice accent rug from World Market.

kates bedroom ikat pillow

Across from the bed is the antique Drexel Heritage dresser the mister is so fond of.  That beautiful print in the middle is by Richard Franklin ~ we bought over over a decade ago, it’s called ‘To Go Beyond’.  He proposed in Italy in front of Michaelangelo’s ‘David’ so call us sentimental, but it reminds us of that amazing sculpture in the heart of Florence.  The framed black and white images of the flowers from our yard used to hang in my office a long time ago, but now balance the Franklin print.

cg richard franklin print

cg branches and coral

That’s me in my wedding dress, much much younger!  I still love that classic shot so I keep it on display.

centsational girl wedding photo

This bronze chandy is from Home Depot ~ we found it five years ago, I have no idea if they still carry it.  I’d like to replace it someday with something really modern and completely amazing, but for now, the simplicity and Old World vibe work fine.

master chandelier

Pair of Avington slipper chairs from Tar-jay, chunky knit throw by Pine Cone Hill, blue pillow from Pier One, lacy coral sculpture from Pottery Barn.

centsational girl slipper chair and dresser

On his side of the room is the other dresser he loves and also his closet (to the right).

centsational girl mister side

I found this blanched driftwood bowl and hung it on the wall instead to create some textural and sculptural art ~ it’s a nice contrast with the traditional dresser.  On top is the sweetheart tray I made from sheet music earlier this year.

centsational girl branch sculpture above dresser

His side is the room has his nightstand, complete with reading material and an ampersand I spotted at Restoration Hardware.  Another subtle but significant change is the woven shade blinds ~ they are Levolor cut to fit at Lowes and much less expensive than custom.

his nighstand

centsational girl mirror over bed

On my side is the Draper knockoff dresser I found at a thrift store two years ago.  I’ve repainted it twice, and now it’s my nightstand where I keep all my books, my journal, and a notebook for when creativity strikes.  The pair of gourd lamps are from Marshalls, I spray painted them gloss white last year.

centsational girl nightstand

Tray from West Elm, bowl from Anthropologie.

centsational girl anthropologie bowl

The fabulous gray Kenya accent pillows are from Z Gallerie.  I’ve never bought anything in zebra print in my entire life, but these two called my name very loudly when I spied them in the store.

centsational girl bed linens

Graphic floral bedding is the classic ‘Poetical’ by Barbara Barry, which I scored on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

centsational girl bedroom

I do miss my trellis wall, but I love these new fabrics even more!  Some of you may be wondering, what the heck is that paint color?   I wish I could tell you it’s one specific color, but in fact, it’s two blended together: ½ Ben Moore ‘Camouflage’ and ½ Ben Moore ‘Misted Green’ (which I originally tried on the wall, but it didn’t look quite right). I blended my leftover ‘Camouflage’ with the ‘Misted Green’ for the perfect grayish bluish greenish (depending on the light) wall color and I’ve promised my hub I won’t be painting in here ever again!  I know better than to commit like that. . but this month time I really mean it!

How do you compromise your design style with your spouse?

240 Responses to “Master Bedroom Update”

Hi Emily, mine is from Z Gallerie and it’s a nice champagne color!

2. Victoria says:

Hey! What size are the poetical pillows closest to the headboard?

Hi Victoria, those are three Euro shams!

4. Autumn says:

Hi!
    I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your bed. I’ve been looking for a bed frame for our new master bedroom for over a year and I think I might just have found one that I like. Thanks!

Hi Autumn, the nailhead trim headboard was a DIY project, find it here!

6. becky says:

Hi there I was just wondering what paint you used, i am trying to find a beatuiful grey and I LOVE yours! thanks

7. Katie says:

I am in love with this bedding! Where did you find the white bedspread?

8. Kayla says:

I’ve tried over 7 colors of the gray and can’t get it right….. Do mind telling me what color that color is on the wall cause I think it’s gorgeous!

The white coverlet is from Restoration Hardware!

10. Lori says:

Hi,

I am also looking for the perfect color of gray to paint my master bedroom. What color did you use?

Hi Lori, that color is a blend of two Ben Moore Colors, more of a gray green in daylight. It’s a mix of 1/2 Camouflage and 1/2 Misted Green, the closest color match is ‘Comfort Gray’ by Sherwin Williams.

12. Susan says:

Hi Kate,

I know you have answered the question about your wall color a million times….what I would like to know is, does it give off a green hue or just the beautiful gray we are seeing in your pictures? Somehow or another you seem to have created the right mix and I wondered about a green or blue hue.

I love your room by the way and your wedding picture is stunning!

13. Raquel says:

Hi!! I’m wondering if you have a TV in your master and if so, how/where do you fit that in?

Hi Raquel, no TV in our master, but I think an armoire is a great place to hide one!

15. darci says:

GREAT JOB – your bedroom looks fantastic!! One quick question if you don’t mind (I read most of the previous questions, but didn’t see this one already)…. where did you find your bamboo shades? I’ve had the HARDEST time finding the right color / look!! Thanks in advance!!! :)

The bamboo shades are Levolor from Lowes – cut to fit the windows.

17. Donna says:

I am also looking for bamboo shades for my kitchen. Which color of Levolor bamboo shades are yours? Thanks.

18. Anna says:

I love your room!! It’s stunning. I bought the same duvet cover from BBB and have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind. What color/style bed skirt do you have? And do you know what type of comforter you have inside the Barbara Barry duvet? I’m impressed with how nicely it folds at the end of your bed. When I put mine inside the duvet and fold it at the end of the bed, it is too fluffy. Is the color on the duvet a cream/ivory color and your are your sheets and blanket white? I think it looks great in your pictures. The contrast between the duvet and white sheets looks more stark on my bed. thanks in advance for your answers!

19. Lori says:

Love everything you’ve done here!!!! Gal after my own heart! Been trying to find a comforter/duvet design similar to what I have (thread bare) and yours is amazing! Can you tell me where you found it?

Hi Lori, the duvet is Barbara Barry’s Poetical, available at Bed Bath & Beyond, the underlying white comforter is from Restoration Hardware.

21. Taylor says:

I absolutely love this bedroom! I went to Z gallarrie the other day and the pillows are 50% off!! The only problem was the pillows had this yellowish tint in some spots? NYSE lady who worked there said that they were sopossed to look like that but to me they looked stained. I was just wondering if your pillows had that same thing?

22. Moi says:

Beautiful room! How do I compromise with DH? I don’t. He’s gone 5-6 days a week, so I get to do what I want with the house. LOL Seriously, as long as it isn’t pink or floral, he doesn’t care. This year I’m on a “burnt red/tan/sage” kick.

Nope, no spots on mine Taylor, perhaps check another Z Gallerie?

Hi Anna, our comforter is white and the BB duvet is cream/taupe. I like the contrast though. I used a very light comforter for the decorative BB Poetical duvet so it’s not too fluffy. The bed skirt is a pale gold ruffle.

Hi Susan, it gives off a slight green hue in really bright light. Our bedroom doesn’t get a lot of light, so it reads mostly as gray all day.

26. Tamara says:

What curtains did you use? Are they sheer, cotton textured or silk? I love the room!

Hi Tamara, the curtains are a linen like poly cotton fabric, they are not lined so the light filters through.

28. Tierra says:

Kate, I need heeeelllpppp!!! :( I purchased the new black and white chevron duvet from the Nate Berkus line for Target. I want to add pops of color so that things don’t look so drab, but I don’t know what prints to match w/ the comforter. Any guidance you can give up is greatly appreciated because I’m so lost…Thanks!

29. Christie says:

Hi, Kate
    I came across this post when searching for a picture of the Poetical bedding. We are building a house, and I am beginning to pull all the rooms’ decor together. I picked out this bedding a few weeks ago, our wall color will be close to your gray, our headboard is upholstered with nail-heads, I love lighter colors, and we have a special place in our hearts for Italy after vacationing there a few years ago. All this to say thank you for providing a template for decorating our new master! I can’t wait to read more from you.

30. Kristen says:

Hi Kate,
    I love this bedroom! I’m trying to mimic this look in our new master bedroom. I have the poetical duvet cover but am running into a design dilemma. I feel that there is not enough grey in the duvet and against the grey walls it just looks off. From your pictures is looks as thought the duvet is grey and cream but once I got it, it looks more tan and cream. Does the tan duvet with the grey walls work in terms of design?? Or am I trying to be too matchy matchy with looking for grey bedding and grey walls? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Kristen, don’t worry about being too matchy matchy, layers of neutral color are best! My walls have a greenish bluish gray tine to them and yes the Poetical bedding is a taupe gray not a true gray. Tan, gray, taupe, they all work together as long as the undertones (yellows, pinks) don’t compete!

32. Kristen says:

Kate,

Thanks so much for you advice!! I put the whole room together over the weekend and I LOVE it!! The poetical bedding looks fantastic!! Thanks again for your blog!! You’ve given me some great ideas!!
    Kristen

33. Jess says:

Where did you get that adorable “and” sign. I am engaged and we just bought a house – would love one for the master! Thanks

THat was a Restoration Hardware find from two years ago Jess!

35. Nikki says:

I LOVE the antique heritage dresser! Do you know the exact name of it if I were to go on an antique hunt for it? It’s stunning! Your room looks fantastic by the way :)

I don’t Nikki, so sorry! If I ever do, I’ll update the post, and thank you!

37. Marilee says:

Hi Kate! I read your post about the headboard DIY project and am wondering how far from the floor your headboard is hung? If I wanted to make one for my king bed, how would you go about placing the fabric? Think it would look funky if there was a seam at the bottom? Found this site via Pinterest… Fabulous!!!!

Hi Marilee, mine is hung about 30″ above the bottom of the floor, and if your seam is covered by pillows you should be fine.

39. April says:

Hi Kate,
    Can you tell me what size duvet you got for the end of your king size bed. I am wondering if i can get away with the queen to fold up at the bottom rather than the king.

I used a King April. :)