Sisal Rope Bowl

July 18, 2011

I once fell in love with a rope bowl, it was by David Stark for West Elm.  Sadly that awesome rope bowl is no longer available, bring it back, bring it back I say!   My latest crafty project was inspired by that bowl and I believe has something to do with my fixation on neutrals with layers of texture.  In fact, I think I need an entire Pinterest category devoted to it.

I’ve had that rope bowl on my mind for many months, so I snagged a cheapo metal bowl from a craft store on clearance a few weeks ago, plus a couple of rolls of sisal rope from my local hardware store, and then got crafty with my glue gun.

sisal rope bowl by kate

How to Make a Sisal Rope Bowl:

Grab yerself a vessel, whatever you like.  Aluminum handled bowls like this speckled one (reowr) work great.  Also grab a dozen glue sticks, your trusty hot glue gun, and 50 to 75 feet of sisal rope (mine was ¼ inch thick).

rope bowl supplies

Then follow these simple steps:

steps for rope bowl

1) Start with the handles, gluing the first part of rope in place.  2)  Finish each handle wrapping the rope as shown, hot gluing every second wrap around.  3) Begin the outside of your bowl by securing an end of rope under the handle, then keep gluing the rope all the way around.  4) Finish your bowl off by wrapping the rope around the inside.  You determine how far you want to go, all the way around the inside or half way, it’s up to you.  Or whenever you run out of rope . . .

And there you have it, in less than an hour, a sisal rope bowl to call your own.

kates sisal rope bowl

Both textural and versatile, rope bowls are a catchall for anything from fresh fruit, to bills, to your collection of quirky matchbooks.

Set me loose with some sisal rope and a glue gun on a galvanized bucket or a cake stand and we’re talking about even more rope fabulousness.

rope bowl by kate

Sisal rope is your crafty friend.

You can quote me on that.

Got a recent rope project you’ve finished?  Go on and share it!

111 Responses to “Sisal Rope Bowl”

1. Impressive and so cute!! I like that this did not take forever to make..I want to try this!

2. Catie says:

Hi Kate, Love it!! I’m going to have to make one. I have the perfect “vessel”. : ) I did pretty much did the same thing with a roll of jute and a $5 lamp shade. Check it out here if you like – http://catiescorner2.blogspot.com/2011/07/outdoor-livin_123.html I love how it turned out and when the light is on it looks even better. Thanks for sharing! I’ll be making a trip to the Depot tomorrow. : )
    ~ Catie

3. Catie says:

~ Catie

4. Cindy Berisic says:

That looks great…personally, I think it looks better than the David Stark one!

5. Such a cute bowl with great texture and a neutral color that can go anywhere.

6. Launa says:

I just love this! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

7. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..some people are uber talented (you) and some people wish they were! (me). This is amazing. I’ll be honest and say I’ll probably never make one. Sure I’ll buy the rope and the metal container and I have a glue gun. But hoarding the materials and saying I’m going to make something is usually where it ends. Thank goodness for blogs like yours so I can at least look at something awesome!

8. Tamsyn says:

Every time I think that you can’t possibly get anymore amazing, you go and do something like this. I love it!!

9. Jenn says:

Totally love this! I’ve seen a few of the rope bowls before but I really like the handles on yours. It looks amazing!
    Jenn :)

10. Amy says:

Thank you so much for ending my craft rut! I just haven’t seen anything out there that’s really gotten me excited in a while. I totally love this! Now I have a project to look forward to! Thanks so much for sharing!

11. Barbara F. says:

Great job Kate! Yours is much better than David Stark’s. I love the rope wound handles, really makes the project. Thanks so much for sharing this!

12. Love this! I have a weakness for anything covered in sisal or jute. I just love that natural texture! And I agree that yours is much better than the David Stark version.

13. Oh crafty friend, I need you around a mirror. For some reason I’ve had sisal on the brain too! Thanks for pushing me a little closer to the glue gun!

14. Irene says:

I love this. So simple and unique. I’m bookmarking this page.

15. Kathy says:

You never cease to amaze me! I wish I can borrow your creativity for a day.

16. Simple Daisy says:

Love it!!! What a simple and cute idea:)

17. Jen says:

That looks fantastic! I love the green apples in it :)

18. Beth M. says:

I like your bowl so much better than your inspiration bowl! I’ve been thinking of wrapping a brass lamp in some sisal rope, and now I think I will! Thanks!

19. Wow, looks great! Neat idea!

ps-I posted our master bath makeover today. Would love for you to see! It’s going to be featured in Cottages and Bungalows magazine!

20. Shaunna says:

LOVE this! I’m a texture fanatic, too, as most of our house’s backdrop is neutral….will definitely give this a whirl.

:-)
    xoxo
    shaunna

21. Johnnie says:

Lovely rope bowl. Thanks so much for sharing. I can’t wait to give it a go. New follower from Tip junkiie.
    Blessings…
    Saved By Love Creations

22. Jill says:

You made this look so easy… Anything with sisal rope would look great in our dining room where I have a minimal beachy theme going. I might have to try this sometime…I’m also thinking it would look cute wrapped around a picture frame.

23. I love that nice contrast of textures between the apples and the rope. Nice project. Love the picture step-by-steps. :)

24. Love it!!! And like so many others have said, yours looks so much better. Love the handles!!! Thanks for the step by step Kate. :-)

25. Janelle says:

This is just another reason why I NEED to buy a glue gun. i’ve been doing without one for too long. Thanks for the inspiring rope bowl tutorial. I’m already thinking of all the things I could wrap! Haha. I think a planter would look cute for my balcony.

26. meghan says:

LOVELOVELOVE. I’m off to the craft store for some rope!

megmacdesigns.blogpot.com

27. Arlena says:

What a great idea! I am sure I have all of those items on hand here at home, I am going to try that one! Thanks!

28. Oh my gosh, I love this…I may just have to go out and make one!

29. Carrie says:

This is such a fantastic project, I can’t wait to give it a try….love the look. Take Care, Carrie {the vintage wren}

30. Wow! Wow! Wow! Does that say it all? =) You’re an inspiration.

31. Blair says:

What a great crafty idea!

~Blair

32. Chris V says:

Your bowl is WAYYYY cooler than David Stark’s!!! :o)
    I have the bucket and glue gun. Now jute is on my shopping list!

33. jamie says:

drooooooooool… so so so so beautiful! you rock :o)

34. R. Hunter says:

I guess you haven’t had trouble with any oil-stink? The only sisal rope I’ve been able to find in the hardware was treated with oil (apparently it lets them eke out a few more feet from the raw material), and stank to high heaven even after washing it several times. Did you actually find an untreated sisal rope, and if so, what brand was it?

35. L.Duncan says:

YES!!!! Love it kate! I did the same thing to my son’s Ikea light fixture. Sisal rope is your crafty friend!

36. Love it! I want to try this soon!

37. sarah says:

wow. love the idea. will use it.

38. I love it! What a great idea. I may have to try this with my kids. I think it would be nice for them to have a basket like this in each of their rooms for books.

39. Jenn says:

Very cute!! I’ve pinned it to my DIY board :)

40. nicole says:

OMG i am in LOVE with this basket. soooo simple and adorable. i am making. and will share on my blog ;) thanks for the tutorial.

41. Love, love, love it. I need to make me one of those!

42. Amazing! House Beautiful recently featured a rope mirror by Pottery Barn Teen that would also make a great DIY, probably easier than your bowl. http://www.pbteen.com/products/know-your-ropes-wall-mirror/?pkey=cphoto-frames-mirrors

43. Gosh I wish I would’ve seen this project on Friday. It would have been perfect for my nautical/beachy party over the weekend. I had the rope and all.

44. Gina says:

Love this – I am totally doing it!

45. i have one like this that i made sitting on the counter! i also made placemats and coasters. so much fun and so simple!

46. anh says:

what a great idea! ive done this to a couple of vases. this looks great. loveit!

47. Zoe Feast says:

Your bowl is just wonderful, I love the texture of rope. Funnily enough I have just finished a rope vase project . I think your bowl and my vases would look great together…what do you think?

48. Tammy says:

What an awesome idea!!! it looks so good in your kitchen I might have to make one for my new kitchen!!!

49. Wow – I am so impressed! What a great job you did!

50. elaine says:

Fun! Great project!

51. Super cute! I did something similar with jute string around my old pillar candles. I like your thick rope better!

52. Allison says:

Looks wonderful, Kate! I love the texture of sisal rope. I used sisal rope on candles last year and gave as Christmas gifts to the neighbors.

53. Lila Ferraro says:

You never fail to amaze me. It looks beautiful!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

54. Emily says:

Awesome idea! I even added it to my DIY board on pinterest!!

55. I think I have a flower pot around here that could use some roping….

56. Brandi says:

Great project! I can’t wait to try this…thanks for the post! :)

Blessings!
    Brandi

57. Sara says:

I love this! Perfect hack!

58. Serretta Barlow says:

You come up with the best ideas! It looks perfect! I really like it!

59. Jackie says:

Love this! I am not a traditional basket kind of girl, but I could totally use a rope bowl. I am adding this to my project list for the weekend. I am thinking about making one and then spraypainting it a bold color. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

60. Cassandra says:

I just came across your blog and I love it. I wish I had seen this post a few days ago because I just bought a new fruit bowl and while I like it, I like this one a lot more!

61. genius! totally in love with this idea! must try for myself! ;) thanks!

62. Jen says:

Ah! Such a good and easy idea. Thanks for posting about this. :)

63. Love it! If only I could use a glue gun w/o roasting the tips of my fingers.

64. Rachel Henry says:

like it so much! definitely putting this on my pinterest board. :)

65. Jen says:

Love how fantastically easy you make this! Such a sweet and pretty DIY project, can’t wait to give it a try!

xoxo,
    Jen

66. sevensisters says:

this is sooo amazing…beware any plain, boring buckets in my house!
    i did make some hanging planters with sisal rope leftover from my daughter’s cowgirl birthday…come take a peek!

thanks for sharing!
    ♥jaime…sevensisters

67. meghan says:

Love this! You are one crafty bi-atch! So awesome you are.

68. Taylor says:

Great idea to use a bowl! I recently made a jute vase, and it was easy peasy. I posted about it here:

69. Colleen says:

i jsut wanted to let people thow that there are alumnium buckets at Target for sale for %90 off in the seasonal department. This project would make them great!! Each bucket ended up costing me 20 cents.

70. GORGEOUS! LOVE it!!!!!!!!

71. Kim says:

I love it! I’ve had that same West Elm bowl on my inspiration board for a while now. One of these days I will get around to making my own!

72. Ludmi says:

Wow!!! Such a great idea for mothers day!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

73. ashley says:

This is perfect for my kitchen. I found it on Pinterest and had to trace it back. Thanks for the tutorial, I will definitely be trying this one myself :)

74. Jenni says:

just got here bia knock-off decor….your rope container is heads over tails waaaaaaaaay cooler than the west elm bowl. if those two were sitting side by side….i’d choose yours over theirs in a minute. honest to peanuts….this is amazing. and i’ll bet you’ll find far more use with it than the other bowl…which looks a bit….well, tippy/tipsy. stuff would fall all over and out of that thing. your stuff is going to stay snug and secure and look adorable in your bowl/bucket. great work!

75. Sarah C. says:

I sisalled (is that a word?) my Ikea pendant lamp. check it out!

76. Rope Bowl…

Rope has some really interesting qualities. There are times that it looks just plain tacky and times it makes something extrodinarily beautiful. This project is definitely an example of the latter. Cover the inside, outside (and handles) of a bowl with…

77. Karen says:

Love this!!! Too cute. I really want to do one now. :)

78. Jo-Anna says:

I really, really like this! Now I can’t stop thinking what I can ‘sisall’!
    Jo-Anna

79. Tawnya says:

This is a MUST MAKE! Love it! Thank you for sharing! Would be such a great summer hostess gift!!
    Tootles, TJ

80. maggie says:

I love, love, love this! i recently updated a pair of yard sale lamps with jute string wrapped around the bottom and top of both shades. it added just the touch of texture that i was looking for. i so need to make this bowl now!

81. Eileen @ CBH says:

Kate Your bowl came out wonderful. I love working with sisal and other natural ropes, like twine.
    I make kitchen utensil jars with sisal rope and sharks teeth. It adds such a great natural texture to the kitchen. I also make sisal decor balls. I just love the nautical touch a little sisal rope can bring to any object! and it doesn’t mind getting wet!

82. Jamie says:

I use jute twine all of the time but I love the idea of rope!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

83. Susan says:

This is a wonderful, versatile idea. I am thinking Christmas gifts!

84. jenny says:

tooo cute!! and what a great idea for Christmas! Tks for the creative idea!

85. Vally says:

Pretty nice bowl! Thanks for the tutorial! :-)

86. I used this rope to make a scratching post for my cats. I just wound it around a 4 by 1 (about 20 inches long). It’s much more durable than the cardboard ones that you spend a small fortune on. It came out great, and the cats LOOOOVE using it. It’s over a year old, and still looks new.

87. lori says:

i found this on pinterest… and i LOVE it! i am craving some craftiness this weekend and i think it is the perfect replacement for my current fruit bowl. i will definitely give you credit if and when i make it and post it to my blog… thanks for a great tutorial!

88. bimla says:

love it!!amazing! i made this type of vase with recycled material

89. Tracey says:

Love, LOVE, love this!!! Thanks for posting!!
    :D

90. Gracia says:

Great project! I’mgoing to be keeping my eyes open for a metal bowl on the cheap so I can do my own!

91. wendie says:

I bought sisal from Lowe’s and it had an unpleasant smell, similar to gasoline. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? or where to buy sisal that doesn’t smell?

Oh no Wendie, that’s terrible. I bought mine at ACE Hardware as I recall…. The untreated versions are better. :)

93. Deebi27 says:

Looking at this pot reminded me of a big terra cotta pot I covered with rope in the same fashion and added a big fluffy paper flower in a matching color. I have used it for a flower pot cover, made arrangements for it and loaned it to my co-worker for fall table decoration last year. And I’ll be darn if I know where it is!!!! I do you I coiled the rope 2 or 3 rope on the bottom to protect furniture and the floor! Thanks for the reminder, you bet I will be looking for that pot!!!

94. Kathy says:

Im going to make this tomorrow using the box from my daughter’s diapers and wipes. Thanks for the inspiration!

95. Donna says:

What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial! This project is definitely on my list to do this winter.

96. Katie says:

I’m hosting a craft night project link party – I would love it if you would link up this project!

Thanks!

97. Pamela says:

You have turned me into a DIYer!

98. Theresa says:

Love, love, love this! Love the nautral and this outside of the box idea. Love your blog too and I am your newest follower!

99. Kara says:

Hi, I’m your 11000th follower! Someday I hope to read something even remotely close to that in my comment section! I actually have been following you for awhile and only just realized that I never actually signed up in the followers section…so it sounds ridiculous, but congratulations on your 11
    000th follower. Keep doing the voodoo that you do so well! Karajeanne