Bamboozled

July 11, 2011

I participated in the Day of Thrifting event last Saturday, hitting up three of my local favorite thrift stores and visiting a brand new one that just opened in my town.  Tucked away in a corner under a big pile of shoes I found a piece with a certain detail I’ve been wanting forever.  Faux bamboo!

Check it out:

faux bamboo chest

Obviously not everyone’s style, but I love its Hollywood Regency like bamboo trim and bonus, check out those awesome campaign pulls.  It’s definitely in need of some TLC but a good price at $25.  For anyone who likes the wood ‘stain’, sorry but it’s faux, and chipping off in places, so I plan to sand it down, prime it, and paint it.

I’ve been gathering inspiration from all across the internet, trying to decide what color to use.  Usually, I just make up my mind when I see something, but I’m a little torn here.  You know me, my first inclination is always to paint it a (safe) glossy white!

design sponge bamboo trim dresser

Design*Sponge

ws home white bamboo

Williams Sonoma Home

Black is always classic.

first dibs black bamboo dresser

1st dibs

Gray perhaps?

gray bamboo dresser

elle decor gray dresser turned sink

Elle Decor

I’m really tempted to bust out a bold color on this one.  How about a vivid Palm Beach inspired hue, maybe pink?

bamboo trim pink pinterest

Fabulousmess

Red?

fire engine red bamboo stool

Design Manifest

Turquoise?

st barts bamboo etagere

Sommerset Bay etagere

Glossy blue, like this chippendale faux bamboo chair?

blue faux bamboo elle decor

Elle Décor

Lime green?

bamboo tower chandy green

Bamboo tower chandy

Sunny yellow?

yellow faux bamboo chest

via

I suppose what really matters is where it will go, right?   I plan to use it an end table in our guest space, which is mostly white and grayish green, so really, anything goes.

What color do you vote for?

180 Responses to “Bamboozled”

1. Amanda says:

Turquoise

2. I just posted a makeover of my faux-bamboo dresser yesterday! I decided to go glossy white…and I LOVE it!

3. Kerri says:

Glossy pink and white. It could be a Lily Pulitzer moment.

4. It’s not the color I usually go to first, but this piece looks to me like it should be RED!!

5. Emily V. says:

Pink! Definitely!

6. Shelly says:

Honestly? I don’t like any of the solid colors. Not on it’s own, anyway. When I first saw it, I thought it would look fantastic with a neutral base color (white, as an example), and then paint the top a secondary color (black, as an example), and paint a pretty design on the front perhaps something like the lower left corner on this image). Paint the pulls silver.

That’s what I’d do anyway.

7. sarah says:

something colorful…how about a green to pick out the hues in the room?

8. Black is OLD. White is too safe..Go Red or Grey…
    Either way, you’ll do a GREAT Job!! =)

9. cindi says:

I really like all of them in their own way!

10. Brenda Moore says:

I’ve seen these furniture items done in a rich bluey-turquoise and a terracotta-red that are both, just ecstasy.

How about getting a couple [more like a dozen of each taped to an 8+1/2 x 11 piece of paper] paint chips of your final choices and putting against the wall in the room first? A wrong choice of the other greens and blues can make the shade you say is in the guest room seem, well, muddy. Look forward to seeing it done.
    By the way Kate!!! Congrats on picking up on our Toronto blogger Karen….The Art of Doing Things.
    She’s a blast on the blog as she was when she hosted t.v. shows.
    Cheers, Brenda

11. Carol N. says:

I vote for yellow all the way!

12. Brenda Moore says:

O.K. OOOOPS, the art of doing stuff!

13. Alicia says:

Ohhh, I like the two gray tones… together! That would be beautiful! I’ve played with Krylon’s Watermelon and have been very pleased with it! However, any of them would look great! Anxious to see what you choose!

14. Mindy says:

I’m all over that lime green and the turquoise. Sooooo pretty. But alas, if it were at my house, I’d most likely go with my standby white. I’m not very brave when it comes to colors on furniture. Walls are another story.

15. CC says:

I vote the glossy blue. I love anything in a cobalt!

I’m seriously jealous of your find, by the way!

16. Naomi says:

Black, and glossy blue were my favourites although I think bright red looks great. What about a bold grassy green? That would be best of all. :0)

17. Debbie C says:

I vote for yellow or dark grey.

18. I vote for teal or turquoise!

19. What a great find! I just bought a table painted in that sunny yellow shade you showed in that last photo and have to say it really cheered my room up. I’m loving it. So I’ll vote for yellow. But I think it would be fun in a lot of other colors, too. I like the idea of a bright green–hard to go wrong with that. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! :-)

20. Steph. says:

Do it in white and get a MARBLE top cut for it like in your Williams-Sonoma inspiration pic. I love that look and it will be versatile. I also like it in black. :D

21. Kathy M says:

Yellow, Green, or Turquoise would all look great. Love the one with the marble top. Or maybe cheat and faux marble the top.

22. Jenn says:

This piece screams “BRIGHT COLOURS”! I’d love to see something two-toned (yellow and turquoise perhaps?) or a bright shade with funky, coloured pulls and hardware. Can’t wait to see your pics!

23. Cyan B says:

I love the dark blue.

24. Robin says:

Ohmigosh RED!!! Love that color and the fabric with it! But the turquoise is nice too.

25. Brenda says:

Yellow, Kate! I am hooked on it!

26. Sheila says:

Okay, I know this is gonna sound really different, but how ’bout, are you ready, SILVER or something with a metallic look. Just an idea. This is a great piece so whatever you decide, it will be great!

27. Katie says:

This screamed, “red!” to me. However, I looove that bright blue. I definitely think you should go with a bright color.

28. I vote for turquoise!

29. Patty says:

Go with the red! It complements the Asian look of the bamboo and there are a few designers that say a room isn’t complete without a pop of red.

30. Any color is great, just please make her glossy! : )

31. Ellya Brill says:

In my opinion choose the two colors one like the hot pink armoir with white bamboo trimming. But I am sure you will do a fabulous job on it. Can’t wait to see the end result.

32. Brittany says:

Oh I would definitely go for a green/white(accent) for sure!! The turquoise is very tempting though… I know you’ll pick a winner, regardless though. Can’t wait to see the results!

33. Cindy Berisic says:

Love the blueish gray Elle Decor color. What about doing the faux bamboo parts a slightly lighter or darker color than what you choose for the piece? Either way you’ll make it look fabulous!

34. Erin says:

I vote grey. I am a huge fan of grey. As a person who owns a bright pink dresser I have to say a neutral is easier to use in other rooms later. but then I am also painting a cabinet a deep turquoise soon. -/I love the idea of a satin grey because its neural but not as expected. White has been done too too much.

35. Anna says:

If it were my project, I would definitely go with either turquoise or yellow. Two of my favorite colors right now. :)

36. AndreaP says:

I’m going to go with the glossy blue.

37. Alanna says:

Love the bright pink but what about doing a bright color like the bright blue turquoise/blue that is the wall color behind the pink dresser? Or even a dark deep turquoise would look amazing and be more neutral than a bright color.

38. Brianna says:

I love the turquoise!!! I have a faux bamboo side table I found at goodwill that I am planning to paint that color, can’t wait to get started on it in a few weeks when my life settles down a little

39. Becca says:

Turquoise- its so calming and fresh.

40. I vote for glossy black… It would be so dramatic in a mostly white room. I love black with those gold pulls, too.

41. Lo says:

Yellow 100%!!! I love that creamy buttery yellow shown in your examples. Yellow and grey is so classic and elegant in my eyes.

42. Faith says:

Oh my goodness! I would jump up and down if I found that at a thrift store! The Palm beach pink hue would definitely make this piece stand out :).

43. Roseanna says:

I like the idea of two colors, bold(any, depending of room) for the chest and white for the bamboo trim and handles.

44. Ofelia says:

Grey, light or dark depends other grays on the room

45. laxsupermom says:

Love the idea of a bold color! With your guest room white and greyish green, I’d be tempted to go with a bright yellow or fresh mint green. Can’t wait to see what you choose.

46. Cynthia says:

I also love the idea of using some colour. I would go with the lime green or the yellow!

47. Erin says:

Glossy red all the way! :)

48. Love the glossy blue!

49. Sue says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this…but, I’m loving that pink with the white!

50. divya says:

hi , i read your blog everyday( i bookmarked it) . i never leave a comment ( sorry, i have a limited time to daydream about painted furniture) but i always admired your work. i get inspired from the makeovers on your blog. Anyway, the reason for this comment is I wanted to send you a link to a post which i thought you might like.

thanks for inspiring me to refinish a dresser.

51. divya says:

by the way, i think red would be amazing on the dresser

52. MamaBHive says:

I totally vote for an OPERA HOUSE RED.

53. MamaBHive says:

just read that your room is white and green. I don’t think RED is a good colour for the room, but I do think it is a good colour for the piece.

54. Valerie says:

I think you should do a magenta-y pink. Magenta just pops with blue, and blue is the leading lady in your home!

55. What about black with the bamboo trim in white? So chic and classy! :)

56. Heather N says:

Yellow!

57. Carmel says:

Hmmm- any color would be good but I’m kind of a sucker for black with gold hardware. Great find!

58. Emily says:

I love the turquoise!

59. Holly says:

Maybe its safe, but I think in either a glossy or a heirloom white with pewter-ish handles would look amazing with the colors in your guest space. This dresser is your oyster girl, go wild! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

60. christine says:

grey!!!

61. Tracy says:

I LOVE the black and the white obviously classics. What about coral/orange? Just a suggestion. :-) Good luck! Can’t wait to see the result! Great piece – super find!

62. Beth says:

I think with white and grayish green I would go with the yellow family. Something mellow, maybe a butter yellow.

63. emily says:

TUUUUURRRRRQQQUUUOOOIIISSSSEEEE!!!!!

64. Well I was going to say a light minty blue-green, because it’s my favorite color right now. But that might not jive so well with a grayish green. I’m also obsessed with bright light blue (like this table: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasnajanekovic/5493508915/). But in the end it really needs to jive with your room. Do you want to add a pop of color or would you rather it blend in? If you can answer that question you’ll at least be able to narrow it down between the bright colors and the neutrals. Good luck!

65. Katie says:

I went with white myself. My bedroom is really soft blues and white, so that dictated my choice. Sounds like white might be a good idea for yours too. I’ve seen that pic of the royal blue chair. Love.

66. Peggy says:

I really like the classic looks – white, black, or red. Glossy orange would look stunning too.

67. Erin [NonShrinking Violets} says:

Turquoise! I’m obsessed with all things faux bamboo and have a hard time limiting myself to one piece of it per room!

68. Michele says:

Tangerine Orange. There are some color combos I’ve pinned on Pinterest that include white, grayish-green or pale blue with splashes of orange and a little bit of black & white in some instances. Looks awesome.

69. Ericka says:

Aqua, gray, green or white. Actually, I love them all! I bet it is going to be ADORABLE!!!

70. Katharine says:

The color would depend on where you are putting the dresser. As far as the colors the pink with white trim is very striking.

71. Marisa says:

lime green! or a bright turquoise! can’t wait to see what you do :)

72. Lisa says:

I go with white! The one you showed with white was stunning! :)

73. Lisa says:

I have to confess….I went with the safe choice of glossy white when I found my cute little bamboo chest. I knew Iwas going to place it in my office, so I felt white was the safest route to go. I’m still toying with the idea of re-painting it grey…hmmmm now you’ve got me thinking again..LOL
    Can’t wait to see yours!

74. Lisa says:

I think neutral colors would work the best. You can always add splash of color with accessories. Also, in the future, moving it to a different location wouldn’t prove to be problematic.

75. Mary says:

Turquoise!!!

76. judy h. says:

Something about the butter yellow and the bamboo is so appealing. I can’t quite put my finger on it and generally I tend not to be a “yellow” person. But when I go over the list of the photos, the butter yellow screams, “me,me, me”, every time. Good Luck!

77. Jenn T. says:

I know you usually do cool, calm colors but I’m really LOVING the red! The high shine and dramatic color would be awesome if you have a place for it.

78. cynthia says:

i love how it turned out with the peacock blue. i would have voted turquosie, only because i am still on a turquoise kick. you can see turquoise furniture of my own here:http://deepthoughtsbycynthia.blogspot.com/2011/06/paint-your-wagon.html

79. Becky says:

Lovely! I really like a number of them, but the glossy blue is awesome!