July 11, 2011

I participated in the Day of Thrifting event last Saturday, hitting up three of my local favorite thrift stores and visiting a brand new one that just opened in my town.  Tucked away in a corner under a big pile of shoes I found a piece with a certain detail I’ve been wanting forever.  Faux bamboo!

Check it out:

faux bamboo chest

Obviously not everyone’s style, but I love its Hollywood Regency like bamboo trim and bonus, check out those awesome campaign pulls.  It’s definitely in need of some TLC but a good price at $25.  For anyone who likes the wood ‘stain’, sorry but it’s faux, and chipping off in places, so I plan to sand it down, prime it, and paint it.

I’ve been gathering inspiration from all across the internet, trying to decide what color to use.  Usually, I just make up my mind when I see something, but I’m a little torn here.  You know me, my first inclination is always to paint it a (safe) glossy white!

design sponge bamboo trim dresser

ws home white bamboo

Williams Sonoma Home

Black is always classic.

first dibs black bamboo dresser

1st dibs

Gray perhaps?

gray bamboo dresser

elle decor gray dresser turned sink

Elle Decor

I’m really tempted to bust out a bold color on this one.  How about a vivid Palm Beach inspired hue, maybe pink?

bamboo trim pink pinterest

fire engine red bamboo stool

Design Manifest

st barts bamboo etagere

Sommerset Bay etagere

Glossy blue, like this chippendale faux bamboo chair?

blue faux bamboo elle decor

Elle Décor

Lime green?

bamboo tower chandy green

Bamboo tower chandy

Sunny yellow?

yellow faux bamboo chest

I suppose what really matters is where it will go, right?   I plan to use it an end table in our guest space, which is mostly white and grayish green, so really, anything goes.

What color do you vote for?

180 Responses to “Bamboozled”

1. Michele says:

I vote for yellow!

2. Laura Chapman says:

3. Sherry says:

I am like you and would tend to default to black or white – but that turquoise looks pretty cool to me. I even think a Tiffany Blue would be cool – depends on where you are using it, like you say. Eager to see the finished project. Good luck!

4. Adriana says:

Yellow! love it in Yellow!

5. Joyce says:

I love the lime green.

6. Elaine says:

It’s beautiful! I think yellow would look great with the palette you describe. Keep us posted! Oh, and do you mind telling us what you paid for it? I’m always hunting around for something like this too. I hope you got a great deal to go along with your amazing score. good work :). Can’t wait to see what you decide to go with!

7. Nanna Nonetta says:

I would go for the gray

8. I freakin’ love the first one, it would go great with mine and hubbys new style we are trying to decorate in! Dang I need to get out to the thrift stores more! Also- I LOVE THE PINK!!! lovely!

9. Rach says:

10. Erin says:

green or yellow!

11. Allison says:

I would have joined you in the Day of Thrifting event, Kate! Sounded fun! Love the sunny yellow, glossy blue and I have to say that hot pink is drawing me in. I look forward to seeing your reveal.

12. Jennifer says:

I gotta go with the black on this one — it will complement the classic lines of the table and serve as a perfect foil for those lovely brass pulls.

13. Heather says:

I think a pop of color sounds great. I LOVE the turquoise!!

14. Jane says:

I love the yellow too! And with the grey and white in your guest bedroom it would look great!

15. Marie Smart says:

BLACK! I love it! Love thrifting! I live in a small town with one great thrift store. It’s by the Catholic Church and we call it the Catholic Mall! It’s great! I am hoping they’ll be open this Wednesday, as they are putting in a new parking lot and have been closed for a few days. DYING!!!

16. PAppel says:

Lime green!!! Second choice: Yellow.

17. Morgan says:

I definitely vote for the yellow. I’m not typically much of a fan of yellow in home furnishings, but for some reason I think that piece just deserves to have its moment in the sunshine…and yellow just says that to me!! Whatever color you choose, I’m sure it will be absolutely fabulous because the piece is fabulous! :)

18. Michelle says:

Either Yellow or Turquoise gets my vote. Definitely a bold colour I think : )

Bok Bok B’Gerk

19. I agree that a pop of color would be awesome since it’s not the focal point. My vote is the pink or turquoise, but, knowing you and your awesome design ideas…if you touch it, it will turn to gold! ;)

20. Annie says:

I have one that I painted white, but I gotta say my fav was the turquoise. Wow!!! Loved it!!!

21. Rai Shanese says:

LOVE what you bought. I just love the hardware!! I also am on the hunt for some faux bamboo… What a steal for $25, so jealous!

Rai xo.

22. Amanda says:

I’m LOVING yellow.

23. Claire says:

Love all the choices but I’ll vote for turquoise followed by red

24. Daisy says:

I’m crazy about the hot pink!!! Then again, I’m crazy about anything hot pink. :)

25. elizabeth says:

I can totally see this little guy in lime green! He’s just asking to be loud and proud (I have a Corolla, so little tables “talk to me” all the time, lol!).

26. Catherine T says:

27. Samantha says:

I love the turquoise one!

28. Michele Owens says:

Love the turquoise!

29. jeannine520 says:

I vote for black.

30. cassie says:

oooh my heart skipped a beat when i saw it! awesome find! i vote a fun glossy color to really make the details and hardware pop! maybe emerald green? or the turquoise?

31. Robin says:

I think the pop of color with your neutral color scheme would be awesome, especially on a night stand. I vote for yellow!

32. Heather says:

Hello PINK of course.

33. I wanted to see everyone else’s reco – wow, everyone seems to be all over the board! I vote for black, to keep the bedroom palete soothing – or white for the same reason (mirrored tabletop comes to mind with the bamboo). Crystal chandelier bedside lamp for glam… I’m getting a little carried away :)

I think I’m having my first anniversary following you – what a great year you have had! XOL

34. Andrea Skeens says:

Depending on the grayish green color’s undertones… I would vote for a bold choice like an orangey red. I hope we see pics! I’m sure we will, though.

35. Sarah says:

I adore the green, black next, then the white. Lovely piece, and I don’t like the wood stain either! Have fun with it, can’t wait to see what you do with it!

36. Tammy says:

I say, yellow! It’s summertime and the sun is shining! :)

37. I like the yellow! Cool piece…I would want to paint it too. :)

38. The black and white are nice, but I’d love to see you go with a non-neutral. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

39. Mary says:

I vote for yellow! It will be a nice pop of color with the grey!

40. Amy says:

Great find! I vote for a pop of orange!

41. Rachel says:

Red would look awesome!!

42. Nan says:

Pop of color! Turquoise, yellow, or how about coral?

43. Great find! Definitely go with a bright color. :)

44. Lise says:

I vote for red!

45. Kerry says:

What a great find and a fabulous price! I’d say go for some colour on this one! Can’t wait to see what you do! :)

46. Effie says:

Awesome find! This piece would look beautiful in black or ivory, with a Carrara marble top (local marble/granite places often have leftover pieces for a steal!). Brush silver tone handles would really compliment the marble! Can’t wait to see the results!

47. MelindaB says:

The yellow is super cute! Also like the grey and black!

48. Amber Lee D. says:

My vote is for a great pop of colour! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

49. Tracy says:

I’ve got to go with the yellow!

50. jenn says:

I love the blue and the yellow one. But I have to say a nice dark grey with a bit of blue looks nice too… that’s what I used on my faux bamboo desk I tried red on it at one point and didn’t like it…. too much of an asian feel.

51. Jenna says:

I vote white! Also, I was wondering, how long do your furniture makeovers generally take you? You seem to get them done SO fast, it’s amazing!! I’m inspired!

For example, how long did, say, your closet makeover take you, from start-to-finish? How long does it take you to repaint a room?

I don’t know if you just work much faster than I do, or if you’re just much more motivated to finish than I am! But I’d love to know how many hours this stuff typically takes, it seems like it takes me FOREVER.

52. Caroline says:

I’m in the happy yellow camp too! Especially for a guest room where you don’t mind something fun and unexpected and perhaps unlike something you have at home. And topped with cherry flowers your guest will have a permasmile! Great Find!!

53. Courtney says:

I liked the yellow, but maybe a punchy green to play with the gray green of the room. Or some punchy color that you currently have in a pillow or rug in the room.

54. maureen says:

it definitely has great bones! what a many possibilities, I’ve been eyeing that Macau chair for a while too!

55. I love the turquoise & sunny yellow. Great find for a great price. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

56. Jennifer says:

Turquoise or lime green! Sounds like your space needs a splash of color!!

57. Becky says:

Blue like the one from Elle Decor!

58. Suzy says:

OOOOHHH! Great find! I love bamboo and would probably paint it aqua or white, but I really think a pop of color would be fun.

59. Kara S. says:

What a great find! I would paint it an aqua or turquoise. No matter what you decide, I’m sure the final product will be beautiful!

60. Kristin says:

My favorite choice is turquoise. White is classic. My guess is you are going to leave the brass alone on the pulls. If you were gong to change the color of the pulls, I would suggest sliver for the piece. I saw a bamboo etagere once that was painted metallic silver and I have wanted one ever since.

61. Becky O says:

Turquoise!! It must be turquoise!

62. Anne McManus says:

With grey and white- YELLOW! Bring in a throw pillow or two with a grey/white/yellow print!

63. Jean says:

I love the classic glossy black one! But, in the room you described I may choose a pop of color like the turquoise or yellow! I can’t wait to see it!

64. Deb Owen says:

I’m thinking a pop of red with your pallet would work! Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Who knew how many painted bamboo pieces were out there for inspiration?! Deb

65. Tabitha says:

The yellow is by far my favorite!!

66. Jessi E says:

It looks small enough to me that I think a nice pop of color would be great on it. I vote either yellow, green or turquoise.

67. Allison says:

Ahh! I love it! I just got a Thomasville Faux bamboo dresser at the Salvation Army for $45. Its a dream come true! Glad to know I am not the only one obsessed.
    In terms of color, I like the grey, but the pink might look better in the room.

68. Sylvie says:

Glossy blue and yellow are my favorites

69. What a find ! I say go bright.

70. Monica says:

I think a rich blue (or even a light blue or teal) would really make the gold hardware pop. I like the idea of yellow or white if it didn’t have the gold accents, though.

71. Wendy says:

What a great find! I vote for the yellow. How could you see it without smiling?

72. Amanda says:

Turquoise! Beautiful!

73. BRIGHT COLOR! Doooooooooooooooo it! :) I vote green or teal. Cuz those are my favs.

74. Dana says:

75. Kelly says:

My vote? Lime green. I think that would go nicely with the other colors you mention in the room and is is so fresh and updated right now, the lime green. My classic vote? Glossy black. I think black would really let the “cool” handle pulls show their stuff!

76. Holly says:

I (think I) have seen something you did that was a soft grey with white trim. It was beautiful. That was my vote until I read the other comments.
    If the piece is small, going next to the bed, then I change my vote to Bright!
    Have a little fun with it and paint it your favorite color in the world!
    You can always paint over it, right?

77. Kim says:

Hi Kate – I’m having a moment right now with bright green. It’s just such a fun, happy color that (almost) reads as a neutral. I just painted a vintage metal magazine rack and a napkin holder (used to hold mail) using Krylon’s Emerald Green spray paint.

I just love how it turned out. Here’s the link to the magazine rack here:

Whatever color you choose, it will be gorgeous!

78. Conni says:

I vote turquoise but like a peacock-turquoise.

79. Andrea says:

I think something between the turquoise and the glossy blue – like a peacock color – something that evokes the deep blue/green of the ocean would look great with the white a grayish green!

80. Turquoise!! I’m dying to try this myself as soon as I find the perfect piece. :) Awesome find!

81. Kyna Leyva says:

I vote turquoise or sunny yellow…cant wait to see the finished product :)

82. Melinda says:

Red! I lovvve the red!

83. Elizabeth says:

84. Amanda says:

I love that pink one!!!!! Aka I need it, but I don’t think it would be realistic to have a pink one…

85. Denise says:

Glossy white gets my vote!

86. Yellow!!! Love it!

87. Robin Whiting says:

Sunny yellow is the best, so bright and cheery.

88. Whitney says:

I vote for grey!

89. Go bright- Robin’s Egg blue =)
    BTW, I got the lavender yesterday; thank you so much!

90. K8 says:

I would say that you should go with either Gray or Turquoise. BUT! I have been trying to find a reason to paint something in the perfect Peacock Blue for a while and with the color scheme you’ve stated I think this would be a great addition.

91. melissaph says:

92. My favorite of the unexpected colors is the bright, cobalt blue!

93. I’m kicking myself for getting rid of a bedroom set from my Great-grandmother that mimics some of these pictures. I just couldn’t see past the ugly at the time.

94. Sarah says:

95. Amanda says:

96. I just posted a makeover of my faux-bamboo dresser yesterday! I decided to go glossy white…and I LOVE it!

97. Kerri says:

Glossy pink and white. It could be a Lily Pulitzer moment.

98. It’s not the color I usually go to first, but this piece looks to me like it should be RED!!

99. Emily V. says:

Pink! Definitely!

100. Shelly says:

Honestly? I don’t like any of the solid colors. Not on it’s own, anyway. When I first saw it, I thought it would look fantastic with a neutral base color (white, as an example), and then paint the top a secondary color (black, as an example), and paint a pretty design on the front perhaps something like the lower left corner on this image). Paint the pulls silver.

That’s what I’d do anyway.

101. sarah says:

something colorful…how about a green to pick out the hues in the room?

102. Black is OLD. White is too safe..Go Red or Grey…
    Either way, you’ll do a GREAT Job!! =)

103. cindi says:

I really like all of them in their own way!

104. Brenda Moore says:

I’ve seen these furniture items done in a rich bluey-turquoise and a terracotta-red that are both, just ecstasy.

How about getting a couple [more like a dozen of each taped to an 8+1/2 x 11 piece of paper] paint chips of your final choices and putting against the wall in the room first? A wrong choice of the other greens and blues can make the shade you say is in the guest room seem, well, muddy. Look forward to seeing it done.
    By the way Kate!!! Congrats on picking up on our Toronto blogger Karen….The Art of Doing Things.
    She’s a blast on the blog as she was when she hosted t.v. shows.
    Cheers, Brenda

105. Carol N. says:

I vote for yellow all the way!

106. Brenda Moore says:

O.K. OOOOPS, the art of doing stuff!

107. Alicia says:

Ohhh, I like the two gray tones… together! That would be beautiful! I’ve played with Krylon’s Watermelon and have been very pleased with it! However, any of them would look great! Anxious to see what you choose!

108. Mindy says:

I’m all over that lime green and the turquoise. Sooooo pretty. But alas, if it were at my house, I’d most likely go with my standby white. I’m not very brave when it comes to colors on furniture. Walls are another story.

109. CC says:

I vote the glossy blue. I love anything in a cobalt!

I’m seriously jealous of your find, by the way!

110. Naomi says:

Black, and glossy blue were my favourites although I think bright red looks great. What about a bold grassy green? That would be best of all. :0)

111. Debbie C says:

I vote for yellow or dark grey.

112. I vote for teal or turquoise!

113. What a great find! I just bought a table painted in that sunny yellow shade you showed in that last photo and have to say it really cheered my room up. I’m loving it. So I’ll vote for yellow. But I think it would be fun in a lot of other colors, too. I like the idea of a bright green–hard to go wrong with that. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! :-)

114. Steph. says:

Do it in white and get a MARBLE top cut for it like in your Williams-Sonoma inspiration pic. I love that look and it will be versatile. I also like it in black. :D

115. Kathy M says:

Yellow, Green, or Turquoise would all look great. Love the one with the marble top. Or maybe cheat and faux marble the top.

116. Jenn says:

This piece screams “BRIGHT COLOURS”! I’d love to see something two-toned (yellow and turquoise perhaps?) or a bright shade with funky, coloured pulls and hardware. Can’t wait to see your pics!

117. Cyan B says:

I love the dark blue.

118. Robin says:

Ohmigosh RED!!! Love that color and the fabric with it! But the turquoise is nice too.

119. Brenda says:

Yellow, Kate! I am hooked on it!

120. Sheila says:

Okay, I know this is gonna sound really different, but how ’bout, are you ready, SILVER or something with a metallic look. Just an idea. This is a great piece so whatever you decide, it will be great!

121. Katie says:

This screamed, “red!” to me. However, I looove that bright blue. I definitely think you should go with a bright color.

122. I vote for turquoise!

123. Patty says:

Go with the red! It complements the Asian look of the bamboo and there are a few designers that say a room isn’t complete without a pop of red.

124. Any color is great, just please make her glossy! : )

125. Ellya Brill says:

In my opinion choose the two colors one like the hot pink armoir with white bamboo trimming. But I am sure you will do a fabulous job on it. Can’t wait to see the end result.

126. Brittany says:

Oh I would definitely go for a green/white(accent) for sure!! The turquoise is very tempting though… I know you’ll pick a winner, regardless though. Can’t wait to see the results!

127. Cindy Berisic says:

Love the blueish gray Elle Decor color. What about doing the faux bamboo parts a slightly lighter or darker color than what you choose for the piece? Either way you’ll make it look fabulous!

128. Erin says:

I vote grey. I am a huge fan of grey. As a person who owns a bright pink dresser I have to say a neutral is easier to use in other rooms later. but then I am also painting a cabinet a deep turquoise soon. -/I love the idea of a satin grey because its neural but not as expected. White has been done too too much.

129. Anna says:

If it were my project, I would definitely go with either turquoise or yellow. Two of my favorite colors right now. :)

130. AndreaP says:

I’m going to go with the glossy blue.

131. Alanna says:

Love the bright pink but what about doing a bright color like the bright blue turquoise/blue that is the wall color behind the pink dresser? Or even a dark deep turquoise would look amazing and be more neutral than a bright color.

132. Brianna says:

I love the turquoise!!! I have a faux bamboo side table I found at goodwill that I am planning to paint that color, can’t wait to get started on it in a few weeks when my life settles down a little

133. Becca says:

Turquoise- its so calming and fresh.

134. I vote for glossy black… It would be so dramatic in a mostly white room. I love black with those gold pulls, too.

135. Lo says:

Yellow 100%!!! I love that creamy buttery yellow shown in your examples. Yellow and grey is so classic and elegant in my eyes.

136. Faith says:

Oh my goodness! I would jump up and down if I found that at a thrift store! The Palm beach pink hue would definitely make this piece stand out :).

137. Roseanna says:

I like the idea of two colors, bold(any, depending of room) for the chest and white for the bamboo trim and handles.

138. Ofelia says:

Grey, light or dark depends other grays on the room

139. laxsupermom says:

Love the idea of a bold color! With your guest room white and greyish green, I’d be tempted to go with a bright yellow or fresh mint green. Can’t wait to see what you choose.

140. Cynthia says:

I also love the idea of using some colour. I would go with the lime green or the yellow!

141. Erin says:

Glossy red all the way! :)

142. Love the glossy blue!

143. Sue says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this…but, I’m loving that pink with the white!

144. divya says:

hi , i read your blog everyday( i bookmarked it) . i never leave a comment ( sorry, i have a limited time to daydream about painted furniture) but i always admired your work. i get inspired from the makeovers on your blog. Anyway, the reason for this comment is I wanted to send you a link to a post which i thought you might like.

thanks for inspiring me to refinish a dresser.

145. divya says:

by the way, i think red would be amazing on the dresser

146. MamaBHive says:

I totally vote for an OPERA HOUSE RED.

147. MamaBHive says:

just read that your room is white and green. I don’t think RED is a good colour for the room, but I do think it is a good colour for the piece.

148. Valerie says:

I think you should do a magenta-y pink. Magenta just pops with blue, and blue is the leading lady in your home!

149. What about black with the bamboo trim in white? So chic and classy! :)

150. Heather N says:

151. Carmel says:

Hmmm- any color would be good but I’m kind of a sucker for black with gold hardware. Great find!

152. Emily says:

I love the turquoise!

153. Holly says:

Maybe its safe, but I think in either a glossy or a heirloom white with pewter-ish handles would look amazing with the colors in your guest space. This dresser is your oyster girl, go wild! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

154. christine says:

155. Tracy says:

I LOVE the black and the white obviously classics. What about coral/orange? Just a suggestion. :-) Good luck! Can’t wait to see the result! Great piece – super find!

156. Beth says:

I think with white and grayish green I would go with the yellow family. Something mellow, maybe a butter yellow.

157. emily says:

158. Well I was going to say a light minty blue-green, because it’s my favorite color right now. But that might not jive so well with a grayish green. I’m also obsessed with bright light blue (like this table: But in the end it really needs to jive with your room. Do you want to add a pop of color or would you rather it blend in? If you can answer that question you’ll at least be able to narrow it down between the bright colors and the neutrals. Good luck!

159. Katie says:

I went with white myself. My bedroom is really soft blues and white, so that dictated my choice. Sounds like white might be a good idea for yours too. I’ve seen that pic of the royal blue chair. Love.

160. Peggy says:

I really like the classic looks – white, black, or red. Glossy orange would look stunning too.

161. Erin [NonShrinking Violets} says:

Turquoise! I’m obsessed with all things faux bamboo and have a hard time limiting myself to one piece of it per room!

162. Michele says:

Tangerine Orange. There are some color combos I’ve pinned on Pinterest that include white, grayish-green or pale blue with splashes of orange and a little bit of black & white in some instances. Looks awesome.

163. Ericka says:

Aqua, gray, green or white. Actually, I love them all! I bet it is going to be ADORABLE!!!

164. Katharine says:

The color would depend on where you are putting the dresser. As far as the colors the pink with white trim is very striking.

165. Marisa says:

lime green! or a bright turquoise! can’t wait to see what you do :)

166. Lisa says:

I go with white! The one you showed with white was stunning! :)

167. Lisa says:

I have to confess….I went with the safe choice of glossy white when I found my cute little bamboo chest. I knew Iwas going to place it in my office, so I felt white was the safest route to go. I’m still toying with the idea of re-painting it grey…hmmmm now you’ve got me thinking again..LOL
    Can’t wait to see yours!

168. Lisa says:

I think neutral colors would work the best. You can always add splash of color with accessories. Also, in the future, moving it to a different location wouldn’t prove to be problematic.

169. Mary says:

170. judy h. says:

Something about the butter yellow and the bamboo is so appealing. I can’t quite put my finger on it and generally I tend not to be a “yellow” person. But when I go over the list of the photos, the butter yellow screams, “me,me, me”, every time. Good Luck!

171. Jenn T. says:

I know you usually do cool, calm colors but I’m really LOVING the red! The high shine and dramatic color would be awesome if you have a place for it.

172. cynthia says:

i love how it turned out with the peacock blue. i would have voted turquosie, only because i am still on a turquoise kick. you can see turquoise furniture of my own here:

173. Becky says:

Lovely! I really like a number of them, but the glossy blue is awesome!