First Day of Summer Blues

June 21, 2011

Ah summer, I confess I’m getting lost in it.  I love the casual ‘kick your shoes off’ attitude of this season.  Long hours spent by the pool or simply watching the kids hop through a sprinkler.  Late night lingering over BBQ with heirloom tomatoes and berry cobbler.  The welcome evening breezes that arrive just in time to to blow away the heat of the day.  Toes in the sand and sunsets at the sea, that is quintessential summer to me.

Don’t we all love summer style at home too?  It is equally casual, filled with cotton slipcovers and toss pillows in stripes and bold textiles.  What is summer without the natural textures of rattan and driftwood, and the treasures that come from the sea.  All of these ingredients combine to fill the home with breezy effortless style.

Naturally, I couldn’t help but become distracted by the colors of sea and sand, and particularly the classic combination of blue and white.  Today marks the beginning of a week long summer vacation for me, and what a perfect day to be feeling the blues.

west elm collection via bright bazaar

west elm collection via bright bazaar

coastal living outdoor sofa

coastal living

garden view cottage tumblr pillows

garden view cottage

miki duesterhof table setting

miki duisterhof

perfect blue shutters trim

tara donne

coastal living twin beds blue and white room

coastal living

wisteria coastal living room

wisteria

sommerset bay cupboard

sommerset bay

blue window via hoturq

via house of turquoise

blue and white daybed decorpad

source unknown

cafe style house beautiful

house beautiful

cape nedick end table somersetbay

sommerset bay

white porch blue hydrangeas

pinterest

blue white and linen dining

source unknown

Here’s a fun collection of blue and white home accessories I gathered up today, any one of which is sure to inject your home with classic style, and bring a summer coastal vibe into your abode.

blue decor 1

olio pendantcrab pillowblue sand hourglassknotted chairserving trayblue mosaic pillowaqua glass ballgrain sack pillowshappy trellis rugdistressed beach sign

blue decor 2

Delilah blue plateslate highball glassesblue+white cloth napkinsfrom the deep salad platewhales pillow cover; senegalese basketsstriped bolsterdriftwood lamp; floral shamblue scroll shower curtainstripe outdoor rug

Like I mentioned, I’ll be taking a few days of vacation over the next week.  Not to worry, there won’t be silence around here.  Expect a few special guests to appear, plus a patio reveal coming up later this week!  Until then, I hope you are enjoying the longest day of the year (for us northerners), and keeping cool wherever you may be.

xoxo,

cg kate signature

24 Responses to “First Day of Summer Blues”

1. Anna says:

These are gorgeous pictures – thanks for posting! I have to admit though that I don’t have quite the same romance with Summer. I live in North Queensland where it’s summer 9 months a year. I get much more excited about the slight drop in temperature which signals the start of our ‘winter’!

2. I am loving all those blues! Today I painted a chair for my son’s room that looks like the exact color of the table in the Somerset Bay picture! After seeing your photos, I want to add even more blue to my house!

3. Kelly says:

I love your photos with all the colors of blue and white.

I love summer too!

4. Love summer and everything that comes with it! Great eye candy!

Ruthie

5. have a great vacation, kate!!!

6. TinaBird says:

I love the blues!

7. cheryl says:

ooo such a lovely collection of pics.
    thanks for sharing them.
    only found you recently – looking forward to reading more.
    have a great break.
    cheryl xox.

8. kerry rossow says:

My summer goal was to add some color to my white, white and white house! Target has so many similar accents to the beauties you found! Everyone is happy, I added color, I didn’t break the bank, and I am guilt free because they were all on clearance!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

9. Zoe Feast says:

Fabulous selection of photos, blue and white is so timeless isn’t it. I have just redecorated a master bedroom with a blue and white palette and a set of vintage British seaside prints.
    Town house master bedroom.
    What do you think?

10. Janet Lawson says:

I just love blue and the photos are stunning..Thank you for the post..
    Janet

Wow Kerry, sounds beautiful!

You too Zoe, that combo is timeless, I’m sure your seaside prints are gorgeous!

12. Oooh never have I wanted the blues so badly! Enjoy your vacation, Kate!

13. Andi says:

Blue and white is my favourite colour combination. Dots, stripes, plain…anything is good and fresh. xx

14. All I can say is “Aaaaaahhh….”

15. Blair says:

What a beautiful collage! Tell me you use pinterest?

~Blair

16. Crystal says:

Beautiful inspiring photos!

17. Love the inspiration!!! I love the House of Turquoise picture with the white room and the blue window frame. Gorgeous!!! Enjoy your vacation.

Hey Blair, yes I sure do! Find me here:

19. Andrea says:

what a beautiful post! I want to take everything out of my home and replace it with your goodies. i really love the hourglass.

20. Love the eye candy, Kate!! Thanks for the refreshment. :)

21. This is such a great post with all things blue! I love the octopus pillow and dish!

22. Peggy says:

As a lover of all things blue, I am so happy that this color is popular again. It’s so much easier to find beautiful things for the home now.

23. Mrs. W says:

I love all things blue! My favorite are the aqua glass balls. I will hunting down a collection of those in the near future.

24. I really like the photo with the shutters and the bike. Well done.