Silver Leaf Vanity Chair

April 13, 2011

I finally finished up a chair makeover I’ve been meaning to get to for awhile.  I found this one at a thrift store last year and I bought it specifically for the vanity in my bathroom.  I loved the curve of the legs and the size was perfect, but the fabric?  No thank you.  It was dingy and stinky so the entire chair definitely needed to be reupholstered.  For this piece, I had some fun adding a glamorous feel with a silver leaf finish on the legs, plus I replaced the foam and fabric with a modern geometric.

Here’s what it looked like last week.

goodwill velvet chair before

And now.

kates silver leaf chair after

I went back and forth deciding whether to add some tufting with fabric covered buttons, but decided with the glitzy silver leaf and the swirling detail on this Annie Selke Pearls Slate fabric, to skip the tufting this time.

I find the best way to understand how to reupholster a chair is to analyze the original upholstery job.  This particular chair was a hint more complicated because of the necessity of tacking strips along the back of the chair.

tacking strips

For those who don’t know what they are, tacking strips are a tool used by professionals to create a clean edge with fabric where there is a visible seam.  You can find them in fabric stores or order them online too.

Stripping an old upholstered piece is time consuming and an icky job.  There are always a zillion tacks and staples to pull, and you’ll often find the foam and old batting underneath is disintegrated.  Ewww.

chair anatomy

It took me an hour to get it down to this frame.  The springs were in great shape so I left them intact, then gave the visible parts of the frame and the legs a coat of spray gray primer, which is a great base if you’re planning to silver leaf a piece.

chair bare frame

You get a subtle crinkly texture with silver leaf, but it is a pain in the patootie to apply.  I followed the same method as with this silver leaf lamp.  However, with the chair, I couldn’t get the silver leaf to settle in the ridges very well, plus it was shinier than I really wanted, so I used some ‘Silver Leaf’ Rub ‘n Buff over the top to tone down the reflection a bit and fill in the ridges.

Then I protected it with my new favorite: wipe on water based Varathane Polyurethane in ‘Satin’.  I found it at OSH and it’s so easy to use.  Wipe a small amount on a rag, then wipe the protectant on your piece, easy peasy.    silver leaf finish

The combo of the three led to this finish.

rubbed silver leaf finish

Gray primer + silver spray paint could achieve a similar look, but the‘Silver Leaf’ Rub ‘n Buff creates a muted, hand rubbed sheen that’s so pretty.  Once the legs and frame were covered in the silver, I reupholstered the chair with new foam and batting.

new foam and batting

As an alternative, I could have sewn a slipcover for the top, then tacked it underneath, but I thought this chair was a great opportunity to practice some more with tacking strips.  If I was going to tuft the chair with fabric covered buttons like this headboard, it would be right at this stage (creating a hole in that batting of course).

back of chair before

You can see in the ‘Before’ how the original tufting occurred by pulling the buttons with twine and securing them to the wood frame before sealing the back of the chair with tack strips.

tufting underneath

To close up the back of the chair, I chose flexible metal tacking strips, also called flexible curve ease, with metal teeth.  I found this metal tacking strip at Beacon Fabrics for about $1.50 a yard.

metal tacking strip

With needle nose pliers and a hammer, you attach the strip with 3/4 inch nails (or upholstery tacks).  Then you wedge your fabric inside the metal teeth, then fold the teeth over for a clean seam, hammering it closed with a mallet.

tacking strips on back

Finally, I had to hide the stapled edges around the legs.  When hiding stapled edges, you basically have three choices.  1) Sew your own double welt cord,  2) Hide the staples with gimp, or 3) Cover them with nailhead trim.

In this case, I chose pewter nailhead trim to complement the silver leaf finish.  To apply nailhead trim, hold them individually in place with needle nose pliers, then use a mallet (not a hammer) to gently pound them into the chair.

pewter nailhead trim

silver leaf vanity chair

This thrift store chair now sits in my master bathroom.  Of course this type of gilding isn’t for everyone, but I do like how it adds a touch of Old Hollywood glamour.

Tags: , , , ,

151 Responses to “Silver Leaf Vanity Chair”

1. Bex says:

So stunning!

2. That is just amazing!

Thank you for the tutorial, it was really easy to follow the steps!

3. Mrs. Foot says:

Wow, this looks great. I love the sass the nailhead trim adds. It plays perfectly with the legs and fabric.

4. modern jane says:

It looks so beautiful! I agree with skipping the tufting.. not necessary:)

5. shiori says:

How absolutely brilliant! I really wish I had your talents.

6. Oh my goodness, that is beautiful!! You make upholstery not so scary! Thanks, Debbie

7. Aaron says:

Wow! This looks so do-able. Thanks for the how-to.

8. I could’ve used those tacking strips on my office chair. Ha! I know now. Thx!

9. Mindy says:

SO gorgeous! I love it!

10. Kasey says:

Wow, amazing transformation. You certainly took that chair from drab to fab :)

11. I think you can add re-upholsterer to your resume at this point. Job well done! I really like the pattern on the fabric you used. I wonder if maybe the tufting would have blended in and/or been too much? The silver leaf looks gooooood. :)

12. Alisa says:

ahhh! That’s stunning!

13. Hey Kate,
    Gorgeous restyle!!

Well done girl…..complete transformation from old and tired to sleek and sexy.

Janet xox

14. PJ says:

a.maz.ing!

I absolutely love what you did with this. Much glamor indeed!

15. Heather says:

Congrats Kate!! What a beautiful transformation – looks so stylish!! I have a question: How do you determine the sizes of your pieces to cut for the back and seat? Do you just lay a big piece of fabric say, on the seat, then eyeball how much is required to wrap around the sides then just cut??? I was wondering how you make sure your pieces are not too small.

Can’t wait to see more of your DIY projects!!

16. Nadir@StitchSense says:

Gorgeous! I love the nailhead trim around the legs, it gives it such a fresh look. Where did you get that fabric? It almost looks quilted. Its just beautiful! :-)

17. soooo very pretty! i love it. and i’m going to have to try that new wipe on verathane. i’m always looking for new sealer options..i feel like it’s an on-going task to find the right thing! let me know how it holds up! ps i’m doing your trellis wall look yet again for another client this week :)

18. Sara says:

no way in a million years could I make something look as flawless as this! It’s absolutely beautiful and looks SO professional!

19. This looks amazing!! I really want to learn how to reupholster! But I’m so intimidated.

20. I am so glad you did this project now!! I have a chair, href=”http://www.littlebrickranch.com/2011/02/this-beast-is-bust.html”>the Beast, that has been sitting half dismantled in our living room!! I can’t wait to finish her up now!! :)

21. Michelle says:

Beautiful chair! Thanks for the tutorial.

22. Anne says:

Wow so pretty!! I love the fabric you chose!

23. Mrs. EJ says:

You make it look really easy although you’ve probably been doing this for years! I’d love to sit in this chair at my vanity. Congrats.

24. Betsy says:

Wondering what kind of staple gun you use. Manual, electric, pneumatic? I’m just starting to dismantle 2 upholstered pcs and want to be prepared when I actually start with the new fabric.

Thanks!

25. Janell Beals says:

Beautiful, love Beacon Fabrics! This inspires me to get to a chair I posted about redoing a year ago, AFTER I get my bench done! Enjoy your new chair! Janell

26. Michelle says:

This is just GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing! I love the fabric choice. I didn’t know you should put nail head trim in with a mallet! I put some in on my dining chairs and they kept bending. Does the hammer make them bend?

27. Judy says:

What’s not to love. Gorgeous fabric, gorgeous finish. Love the tutorial as well.

28. You did a great job! The chair looks Awesome! Looks new too!

29. Oh MY, that is gorgeous! You did fabulous work – all around! I love it. It’s inspiring me to get on my own re-upholstery job here. Been kinda intimidated on that, but this tut helps~!

30. Bobi says:

LOVE IT!

31. Terrie M says:

Stunning!!! Thank you so much for more detail on upholstery. I haven’t found much about it on line. A local class was on the wrong night. Thanks!!!!

32. Charo says:

Wow what a gorgeous transformation! Looks fantastic!

33. WOW WOW WOW!!! You really make me want to try this. That is quite amazing. You have to be proud of yourself! Wow!

34. Brenna says:

Wow, this is beautiful, Kate! You make this look so easy. I’ve never used tacking strips (or even knew they existed), but now I totally want to find a project just to practice. Wonderful job; a gorgeous transformation. Well done!

35. That is so beautiful. I want to build a master bath just to have a chair like that. :)

36. Beth says:

It looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for the step by step….

37. Crystal says:

Wow, now I’m motivated to find an old chair and try reupholstery. You made it look easy…and the end result is fabulous!

38. sarah says:

lovely, lovely. very inspiring indeed.

39. lindsey says:

i’m in the middle of a reupholstery project similar to this one on my blog….i’m a newbie so i was going to skip the tufting as well. you encouraged me to use the tacking strip now so i may have a go at it…i’ve been struggling with that aspect in my brain. THANKS!!

40. Janna says:

Kate – I don’t know how you do it all! You truly are censational. The chair looks great!!

41. Oh my goodness, the chair rocks!!! You are so patient to tackle something like this! Way to go, it looks fabulous!

42. Awesome! Seriously, this post is so helpful and it’s making me feel like wrestling some chairs to the ground and reupholstering them. Thanks for the pointers (never would have guessed about those tacking strips).

43. AMAZING! I love the silver leaf and the fabric choice could not be more perfect. Great tips, too!

44. laxsupermom says:

Wow! That is one gorgeous after! Beautiful transformation! I love the fabric you used, and the silver leafing is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

45. Sherri S. says:

Oh girl you have really out done yourself!! I am always amazed to see your before & after pics. You definitely have great design sense. Thank you for sharing.

46. lisa w says:

Love that fabric!!! Thanks for the show and tell on this one. I wondered how to do the back of a piece like that and this will help so much with a sofa project I want to do!

47. Jo-Anna says:

Oh wow! So gorgeous!

48. Shaunna says:

Gorgeous and oh so chic!! Great job, friend.
    xo
    shaunna

49. Nikki Kelly says:

It looks amazing! Tack strips look so intimidating but your’s looks beautiful.

50. elaine says:

gorgeous. job well done. Thank you for all the description and pics too. enjoy your lovely chair.

51. Vicki K says:

It’s gorgeous and perfect as a stand alone chair for your vanity – perfect understated elegance!

52. Nicole says:

I don’t think I’m ready for that level of project, but WOW that is a gorgeous chair!

53. Sarah says:

Thank you for the breakdown on this and the info on tacking strips too. I so want to learn how to reupholster, but it’s harder than you’d think to find good info out there on the subject! So thanks!

54. Lani says:

OH Kate –
    Before I found you I was afraid to paint furniture. I conquered that and learned to embrace spray paint as well! After this tutorial….I am not afraid to attempt reupholstery. Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures, step by steps, and the ability to help overcome my beginner DIY fears!!!

55. Gorgeous and beautiful. I’m new to following this blog and I see you’ve done a few pieces. I was wondering if you were self taught on reupholstering or did you learn for a class etc. ?

56. Michelle says:

Love it!! Great job, so classy!

57. Lindsay says:

This looks great!! I wanted to share with you that I refinished a table a little while back and I used your dry brush painting technique. Thank you thank you for that awesome DIY! I made a little post about it in my blog and did a link back to you. Thanks again!

58. Sherry says:

Wow! You are getting to be pro at Upholstery, that is hard to do! Beautiful chair now that you’ve added your touch!

59. Wow! That is just fantastic. It is so beautiful now :)

60. Debbie says:

Wholey Glam! Love this!

61. Joy says:

The finished chair is beautiful. Thank you for such a clear tutorial.
    – Joy

62. I love it! You did a great job. I wish I had it in my master bedroom.

Hey Betsy, for this project I used a manual heavy gauge staple gun because it was only one piece. A series of chairs or a larger sofa would justify a pneumatic!

Wow Lindsay, so nice to hear that dry brushing worked out! Off to see your handiwork!

65. Lo says:

Ahhh Kate! I have been dying to re-upholster a horrific chair, and you continue to inspire. My boyfriend even knows you by name lol. Another fantastic job. Thanks for the great tutorials as well.

66. rita says:

Love it!! Love the colors. Good job!

67. Such professional results and you made it look so easy!
    You also answered a question I’ve been wondering about…paint legs and wooden parts first and risk the paintjob getting banged up by the upholstery process, or paint wooden parts last and risk getting paint on the new fabric? Thanks!

68. Claire says:

I love it! I wouldn’t have gone for silver leaf on the legs, but I definately would have changed their colour. I’ve had so many chairs that needed a new blash of life, and now I can see how to use tacking strips. Thank you.

69. Kate – sighhh – it’s absolutely stunning. I’m so impressed that you taught yourself how to do this!!!!
    xo
    Cat@BudgetBlonde

70. Heather says:

What a transformation…Such a classy chair now!

71. Wow. It really does look gorgeous! Thank you so much for telling about that tacking strip stuff. I’ve done a little bit of reupholstering but didn’t know about that yet. Whoohoo! My life just got a little better. :D

72. The chair is beautiful, and I’m totally intimidated by the reupholstering process – not because you didn’t provide a great tutorial (because you always do), but rather because I have extremely limited patience! :)

73. Kelly Varner says:

it appears you may be veering away from the “GSC” :) great work!!

74. Kacey says:

It is perfect in its simple elegance! Great job! I have yet to try silver leafing, but you make it look easy.

Kacey

75. Sarah says:

Gorgeous! Thank you for the picture of needle-nosed pliers holding the nailhead in place. I’ve only tried applying nailhead once before and this tip will make next time go So much smoother!

76. kristin says:

Oh she is a beauty!!! Thanks for showing us how you completed the back, always wondered!
    XO
    Kristin
    PS I love cheese too, pair it with some vino and ahhhhh :)

77. Kim says:

So pretty! It has a really classic elegance.

78. Suesan says:

Great job on the chair. I just did a similar silver finish on some chairs, but they’ll be a guest post on another blog so I can’t reveal them quite yet. I’ve yet to try the tack strip, but I think that’s coming on one of my next projects. It looks beautiful!

79. WOW! That looks GREAT!

80. Chandeen says:

Great chair. I have thinking o leafing one of my furniture re-dos but was discouraged by the hubby. Now I might go for it.

81. Thank you for showing us how to do this – I have a chair with a very similar style that I’ve been wanting to re-do. The silver hand-rubbed legs look divine!

82. Traci says:

Looks great, Kate! Love the nail head trim.

83. Denise says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS!!! These are excellent directions.

I would love it if you would give a cost breakdown for projects like this. Something like:

Thrift store chair $12.00
    Paint $8.00
    Fabric $20.00
    Nailheads $10.00

Total: $50.00

84. Colleen says:

Again I am amazed at your abilities..i only wish you lived next door so you could help me!!!!

85. Lynn says:

This is absolutely outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely project. I apologize in advance for my dumb question, but did you finish the underside of the seat cushion? I have no idea how to do that. Thanks again and take care!

86. Jacki says:

I wish I have the patience to do something like that. I am scared to destroy the chair, HA! Great job once again!

87. lera says:

I love that chair. I must have it!!!!

88. Kathryn says:

Way too hard for me, but absolutely love it!

89. Happiness does not come from reason but of imagination.
    Greetings.

90. Sharon B. says:

Absolutely lovely!
    You’re right, this chair had such a nice shape but ugly fabric. I am so encouraged by how you see the possibilities in run down furnishings. I’m working on changing the way I see things.

91. Jen M says:

Wow! The finished chair looks amazing! Great job and thanks for sharing the details.

92. Bridget says:

Wow! That is so gorgeous and impressive!! not sure I am brave enough to tackle a chair redo yet…;)

93. Love it! Looks like a perfect vanity chair. Thanks, Kate!

94. Vicki V says:

Wow! What a professional finish!

95. Sue says:

My goodness…it is just gorgeous! Nicely done.

96. lisaroy says:

STUNNING :)

97. Mimi says:

You did a fabulous job! I love the finishes you chose for this chair. I think they complement it nicely. And thanks for the share of the flexible metal tack strips — I’ll have to try those out!

98. It turned out beautifully! I like how you decided to leave off the tufting with that fabric too.