Fan-tastic! Hutch Makeover

March 23, 2011

When Jesyka sent over this buffet and hutch transformation I was totally and completely wowed.  Refurbishing these old treasures is all the rage, and they are easy to prime and paint, but Jesyka created something really special with this one-of-a-kind makeover.

Before:

hutchbefore

After:

Buffet&ChinaHutch

I love everything about this piece!  Not only did Jesyka paint it the perfect robin’s egg blue (that she mixed herself), but her choice of three different knobs complement each other so nicely.  And that pop of gold paint?  Swoon.   How about that incredible wallpaper!  Love that wallpaper!  Psych.  Not wallpaper.  Shelf liner.  Brilliant!

Jesyka also added lighting and changed that fixed middle window into an operating door.   Jesyka, Jesyka, you’re just a girl after my own heart.

LOVE this.

OpenHutch

Don’t miss her birdcage chandelier hanging from the ceiling that’s a wee stroke of genius.   Go on, hop over to visit Jesyka and give her big props for this inspiring piece.  Bravo!

38 Responses to “Fan-tastic! Hutch Makeover”

1. I like how she styled it too! Great feature!!!!

2. lataina says:

This piece is insanely gorgeous!!! I love, love, love the color. =)

3. Aubrey says:

That is genius. Sheer genius. Heading over now to meet the genius…(c:

4. ManWifeDog says:

Gorg-eous!! Every time I visit this site I want to take the living room makeover we’re working on to another level. Too bad we still rent. That would make me a fool! LOL! So instead I dream through your blog. Thank you!

5. Wow, I don’t even have words for how amazing that transformation is. Just, wow!

6. Katie Cook says:

I have almost exactly the same hutch. It was dumped on me when an elderly aunt passed away and I have lugged it around for 25 years. I have always hated it, but hesitated to paint since I never really felt it was mine.
    Now maybe it’s time to take full ownership of it and paint away.

I do have a question concerning the glass doors. How do you replace the rubber stripping that holds the glass in? I have another hutch I am about to work on but the rubber stuff is shot. Thanks!

7. Erin J. says:

Wow! That left me speechless! What a wonderful transition…thanks for sharing!

8. Bloggymom says:

Beautiful!!

9. wow, it is perfection!

10. Fantastic!! I love this blog!

11. Susan (Tote) says:

This is encouragement to paint my old hutch.

Susan

12. alicia mitre says:

impresive job, excelent, but—- don´t you get tired of the blue?

13. lisa says:

Boy, she put a lot of work into that! High 5 to her…great choice in color and knobs. Shelf paper, who would of thought!

14. Laura says:

wow, that is so gorgeous! I am still looking for a perfect piece to refurbish. So much fun!
    xoxo

15. I’m melting looking at that piece.

I can’t wait til it warms up here in Chicago, and I can take my old wine cabinet outside and give her a facelift.

Archiving this for inspiration. Thanks for sharing, Kate!

16. Kim says:

Wow! Looks Amazing~Cheers Kim

17. wow, that’s amazing

18. Helen says:

Lol sorry I think its hideous. I like the blue but the wallpaper is just too much for me. Each to their own though, and its certainly a beautifully finished piece.

19. Chandeen says:

Wow amazing!!!

20. That’s looks great! I would not have seen the potential in that ratty old hutch!
    BTW, my nail gun and compressor came yesterday!!! YAY!!!

21. Wow! Looks awesome! What a change! I can fully appreciate her work as I also completed a hutch makeover in December…check it out at:

I love it and if I had more space, I would do it all again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    p.s. – love your blog!

22. Hello Katie,
    Wow! Great inspirational piece for me, as I have one of these sitting in my basement screaming for some paint.

Thanks for spotlighting this creative lady. I am headed her way now.

Janet xox

23. lisaroy says:

This look so beautiful! My mother-in-law has a similar hutch – I’m hoping she’ll tire of it and pass it along to me now! :)

24. Sam says:

So amazing! I also have almost the exact same hutch sitting in my dining room right now – my grandma gave it to me when she moved out of her house. It doesn’t match ANYTHING in my house, but this makes me think all it needs is a little paint and shelf liner!

25. Becky B says:

When I first saw the before photo, I thought no way could you transform this enough to remove the dated look…but she did! This piece is gorgeous in it’s new outfit. Thanks for sharing with us.

26. LindseyR says:

way to go Jesyka! awesome!

27. wow! you are right – these types of makeovers are so popular right now, but she really did go the extra mile.i love the blue/gold combo! hey, by the way, i did a pattern similar to your trellis pattern yesterday! check it out. :)

28. Mallory says:

I love the colors! Amazing transformation. Great job Jesyka!

29. Ban Clothing says:

The colour is fantastic… I was fully expecting it to be painted white but was pleasantly extra surprised. The wallpaper/lining looks perfect with the hutch.

30. Kim from NC says:

Beautiful! I have a solid walnut dresser from the 40’s that I stripped…I want to paint it but I’m scared. This inspires me!

31. OH MY!! it’s people like these and you that got me started on thinking that MAYBE i can do this. now i’m hooked and i’m SO in trouble.

32. i just posted about my very, very first attempt where i made many mistakes…but love it anyway. it’s like no one will love your child the way you do, y’know?

33. Allison says:

I think it is stunning! Beautiful color (one of my favorites), the gold is a nice touch and the paper, very clever. I love the transformation. Jesyka did a wonderful job!

34. The color is beautiful but the shelf liner is my favorite part, it keeps the piece from looking to precious and adds a bit of fun.

35. Jennifurla says:

so drop dead gorgeous, special for sure.

36. andrea says:

I personally love how this looks, but it damages the wood permanently, no? I guess fear of covering really nice wood with paint just freaks me out… advice?

37. OMG! This is totally AMAZING!!!!

I would have passed that crappy thing up in a heartbeat–but after seeing the transformation I am banging my head on the desk:) This is so beautiful and I feel completely inadequate in the creative department when it comes to furniture.

38. Jennifer says:

LOVE it! We all have something hanging around like this that could use new life!
    Smiles,