Boy’s Room Tour

March 8, 2011

I’ve been falling asleep in this space for a few nights, I just can’t help it!  I find snuggling up with my little guy in this room late at night completely irresistible.  It’s here where I learn all his secrets, his battle plans, and if I listen carefully, the location of buried treasure.  It seems everyone in our house has been spending more hours in this room lately, especially the resident to whom it belongs, our five year old son.

Last year we said goodbye to the soft blue nursery walls, and upgraded to a more mature, more intense teal blue, and the completion of the board and batten treatment last week enhances the color even more.  I wanted it to be a bright clean happy place, one where he could adventure and explore.  A room where he could not only display everything he loves right this very moment, but one that would also adapt to his changing interests over time.

Want the grand tour of our boy’s room?   Come on in!

cg boys room entrance

This room measures 10 feet by 12 feet, but we managed to pack a lot of style plus storage into its square footage.  On the back of his door is a place to hold shirts or hats, or the less practical but also necessary capes and costumes.

cg back of door

You’ll spy that Hemnes dresser that I painted last year.

�

Up above are some $5 pine shelves I found on clearance in a craft store, then I primed and painted them white.

cg display shelves

This little sailboat I found in a thrift store last year, who would ever part with it?

cg porthole mirror

On the other side of the room is a storage cabinet I painted for the lad last year.

cg painted storage tower

There are many bins, baskets and cubbies to hold friends, books, keepsakes, and toys.

cg boys storage tower

I painted his humdrum white closet doors with his wall paint to make them pop.  I love the repetition of the rectangles and the contrast between teal blue and white.

cg painted closet doors

On his bed are some simple pillows that he always tosses on the floor at night.

�

My little guy loves to line up his favorite cast of characters on his new shelf when he’s not engaged in fierce role play.

band of rebels on shelf

Yes, he is going through his ‘Star Wars phase’.  I hear it lasts for years and many boys never grow out of it.  I don’t mind at all, I grew up with it too, so hearing him tell me the same stories about Luke and Leia are a trip down memory lane.

I couldn’t resist framing a few of his favorite cast of characters above his bed, but it doesn’t end with the band of Star Wars rebels.  Boats, motorcycles, sea adventures, and treasure maps all collide in his imaginative universe, so why not display them all?

�

cg art wall 1

�

Last year his bed looked like this:

bed wall before

Today it’s a little fresher:

boys room bed on wall

Beware, many battles and rescues take place beneath!

battle under bed

Again, another pic of his room from last year:

boys room before

And today:

cg dresser on wall

Do you think maybe it just might be possible that this boy likes this room ?

cg boy jumping

I reckon he does.

Oh to bottle and sip from that source of energy . . .

cg boys room after

So there’s the big tour!

Now I’m off to adventure with this imaginative boy for as long as he will let me.

Full room source guide here.

218 Responses to “Boy’s Room Tour”

1. Courtney says:

Oh.my.goodness. This room is positively one of the cutest I have seen ever!!! EVER EVER EVER! I LOVE IT!

2. Sue says:

I love his new big boy room! You have done a great job at creating a space that works now and will grow with him in the future. Love the blue and white!

3. lana says:

seriously kate? you are insanely amazing. everything you touch is gold. well done!

4. As the mom of a growing boy, I love seeing how this room has matured to match your boy’s growth. I also want to cry.

5. beautiful! i love the color combination. he looks very happy!

6. whitney says:

love it! especially the star wars figures on his little shelf :) well done. can you tell us where you got the drum shade ceiling light?

7. Samara says:

I love it! Kids appreciate good design.

8. This looks fabulous! I have the same dresser in my son’s room, and we looooove the Hemnes! Although I have to say, I love the splash of creativity you managed to add to it… it looks fab! The collection of Star Wars figurines is genius too… we have no lack of chewys and lightsabers around here either :)

9. Lori says:

Fantastic room for your son, great colors.

10. Melanie S. says:

Looks great! Can you give the source for the center ceiling light? Love it!

11. Asmic says:

Great job, Kate!

12. Now what does one say about that, which isn’t already obvious (stunning, handsome, crisp, etc…) Okay you rock, Kate. I bet you’re a great mom, too, if you put that much energy and thought into his space. I love that it is creative and inventive, both on your part and for him!

13. Kayla says:

I love it! It seems like such a fun space for him to play. I especially love the paint colors you picked!

14. Lisa says:

You have done such a wonderful job on your son’s room. It looks wonderful and the blue is just lovely. You have just inspired me to re-decorate my daughters room.

15. Cindy says:

I’ve been so excited to see the big reveal! It’s great! Thanks for sharing.

16. Jennifer says:

FABULOUS room!! Great job! I’m working on a few rooms right now… this gives me hope!
    Smiles,
    Jen

17. Love the colors! He can definitely grow with that room!
    Again, adore the board and batten!
    juliesfreshperspectives.com

18. He looks like happy little boy and why wouldn’t he be?

19. Erin says:

LOVE this room! Where did you get the drum ceiling light fixture? I LOVE it!

20. Michaela says:

It’s awesome! So grown up and boyish at the same time! I love the gallery wall of cars and boats.

21. I just love it. The special touches really make it. I love what you did with the Ilea dresser and closet doors!! Such cool graphic elements.

I love the blue with the white B&B treatment- my den would look awesome with that- maybe up to the window trim with a shelf. hmm….

22. Wow, I love it. Especially the closet doors, they look incredible.

23. jeannene says:

Great work, I want to learn how to do the board and batten!
    Did you make the curtains?

24. Amy says:

Great job! The green on the bed frame adds a great little punch to the room!

25. Heidi M says:

Love it! Oh, yes, the Star Wars phase– I don’t think it lasted more than a few years with my boys. Enjoy it while it lasts… I think you’re the only one I ever seen that does Star Wars with style!

26. Lila Ferraro says:

Amazing. That is by far my favorite little boy’s room I’ve seen to date. I love the sailboat. I want my son’s room to have one in the worst way. So, of course, when I saw you’re little guy had one I knew I had to get one! Love it all!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

27. Love, love, love it. You did an amazing job. Your son is a lucky boy. Thanks so much for sharing.

28. Jess says:

This is lovely! I’m jealous that he’s only five and has a bedroom like this — I’m 20 and it’s all I can do to keep my bed made! You’re fantastic, Kate. :)

29. Robyn says:

Again, another incredible room make-over! I bet you can’t get him out of there either. He’s a very lucky boy.

30. Stacia says:

Love this room! Great job with the colors and the way it all comes together so crisply. Can you tell us more about the tiny chair and table? Where did you get them — and did you do your magic on them, too?

31. It’s adorable! Wish my kids didn’t destroy everything.

32. Annie says:

Adorable! Makes me want to get my little guy’s room in better order.

33. I love this!! The wainscoting you chose for around his room is beautiful and i love that it is a little shelf for his toys :)

34. Danielle C. says:

It looks great Kate! You did a great job! I love that color especially with the contrast against the Board and Battan treatment!

35. I love it! It’s a little grown-up but still fun and whimsical. I’m glad to hear he’s loving !

36. Emily says:

I adore that little sailboat! My son’s room is done in a blue nautical theme as well, and I’ve been looking for a sailboat like that since he was born – I guess I wasn’t looking in the right places! I

It looks like he really does love it, and you’ve done a wonderful job!

37. Sara says:

Can I ditto Courtney? Cutest boy’s room EVER! Just perfect! If I had boys I would copy everything about it! Great work!

38. Amy says:

What a gorgeous room, and one that your little boy will definitely be able to grow into. Well done! I love the closet doors…what a great idea!

39. Looks so fantastic! What a lucky little guy. I love your photo collage too, I’ve been wanting to do one of my own and you just inspired me even more.

40. So adorable!!! Love everything you’ve done. How old is your little man?

41. Amy says:

This is absolutely gorgeous! I just bought the almost identical ceiling light fixture for my kitchen! Love it!

42. Karen T. says:

What an adorable boy and room! Good job!

43. Alice A says:

Perfection on a stick! the star was guys lined up on the ledge got me too….. I have boxes of them stored from all my boys… and the star wars posters too! Thecurtains are pretty awesome too- did you sew them too?
    Exactly right with the cool rug!
    A+ Kate!

44. Allison says:

I think I would be spending a lot of time in that room, too! Great colors, modern, fresh and simple and just plain gorgeous. A perfect room for your little man! It is perfect!

45. Mel Zeiger says:

WOW!!! AMAZING!! I would love that room for my little boy, or heck, even for me! The colors are perfection together!! Truely inspired!

46. Pita says:

I love this room! Where did you get that lovely lovely Light Fixture? I have been looking for this exact type for my room.

47. Amazing this is very very very nice I like this pretty well decorated room, definitely you have done a great job I like your post very much.
    Thank you for the sharing.

48. Wendy says:

SO much love for this! Can you tell us the names of the paint colors; specifically the blue and also the green in the bookcase? And more importantly, where you got the Star Wars and Lego pictures? :)

49. Love the paint color! name? great space!

50. ManWifeDog says:

I love EVERYTHING abut this room I’m picturing my future son in it right now. LOVE your blog. I added it to my blogroll!

51. Grey Stables says:

Love it SO much, beautiful little boys room…and beautiful little boy. How sweet is he!?

52. Charlene says:

Great job, Kate! Love it!

53. Linda says:

Kate! Great work as usual. I also have a 5 hy old obsessed with Star Wars…sucha great time in their lives. My little guy has bunk beds, so where do i put the wainscotting?Does that look to busy with bunk beds?

54. Megan says:

Delightful room, a reveal worth waiting for! Love your attention to detail and the quality in everything you do, not the least, this outstanding blog. Could you include the bed in your source guide? Thanks!

55. Catherine says:

Love the room, especially the white and teal. I’m also loving the text that is framed but can’t quite make it out. Could you let me know what it says (something about you’re braver than you…) Would love to make one for my boy’s room.

Thanks

56. Lachelle says:

Love what you have done! Cute! Cute! Cute!

57. Hi Kate,

Another fabulous re-do. I love the mix of colors and fabric. The painted closet doors and wainscotting are fabulous. You got so much in one room. What a lucky little boy.

My little guy just turned 12. I can’t believe it. Please check out my update. We’ve almost finished with our Star Wars and he’s picked up an electric guitar.

58. Tery says:

Absolutely beautiful! I have my eye on that same rug for my son! Love the board and batten!
    And that ceiling light fixture-wonderful! I will be looking forward to the resource guide.

59. It looks so good! I love the last picture of him jumping on the bed. So cute!

60. Mallory says:

This is awesome! I love that it’s great for his age now and easily something he can grow into!

61. Amy Wolff says:

You are amazing………. Just awesome….. Wish you could come and do my house!
    Where did you get the little table and chairs?

62. LiveLikeYou says:

What a fantastic place for your little boy. The doors alone are genius!! You’re my makeover queen!!

63. Maria says:

I’ve probably missed this…but I love the rug. Where can I find it?

64. Debbie Guess says:

Hi Kate! I love you son’s room. You did a great job. I am going to put board & batten in my guest bath & master bedroom (soon I hope). I will be thrilled if it turns out as nice as yours. Thank for all of the great inspiration.

65. Maria Killam says:

“It’s here where I learn all his secrets, his battle plans, and if I listen carefully, the location of buried treasure.” Kate, I love and adore the way you talk on your blog, what a stunning transformation this room is, you are so talented!
    x
    Maria

66. Great job! I love, love the new room! I just finished my daughter’s room and now my seven year old son is dying for me to redo his. You’ve given me some GREAT ideas! He is also into Star Wars so there may be a little of that incorporated as well! Thanks for the tour!

67. suzanne says:

Love the room…Please can you cite the sources of the RUG, Curtain fabric and the ceiling drum light fixture please. Pulls a tad at the heart strings seeing that little fella joy. Mine boy is now at 14 ensconced in a Calypso orange and fresh white room, replete with purple carpet, drum set and the ubiquitous drum set! Cherish that sweet little boy time….

68. Oh My that looks fantastic!! Love every bit of it!!!

69. kathysue says:

So fresh and crisp and Big Boyish, I would say your little guy loves his new room and he is a doll!!! I am still working on my playroom and our colors are similar, but I used navy and white with the green and I have a little girl in there sometimes so we add a pop of pink. Kids rooms are the best rooms to decorate especially little boys rooms, they are my favorite to do and YOU Miss Kate did an amazing job!! I am impressed, KS

70. Steph. says:

Girl, that is perfection! Enjoy this time-both of my boys are now in their teens and I miss the imaginative play! Stop by and visit me sometime! I am originally from NorCal too. :)

71. i’m in the process of finishing up my 3 1/2 year old son’s room. great job, once again. i love the color you chose to paint his bed!

72. Stacy says:

You did a fantastic job. It looks great! I love how you took pieces you had and gave them an update. I am in the process of doing all three of my girls rooms they are 10-12 and 14. So I let them pick everything out with some guidance but the colors two of them picked… I am going to have to be really creative in picking accessories to tone down the neon greens that are going up
    ( hey your only young once. right)Wish me luck.

73. I love the room, especially all the Star Wars. I don’t have a little one yet, but the Hubs still loves Star Wars. So this gives me some awesome ideas on how to eventually incorporate Star Wars in my kids room without it looking cheesy. Thanks.

74. Beth P says:

Love your son’s room! what size is his bed and where did you get his bed frame from? it is so simple and versatile I love it!

75. Jen says:

It’s absolutely LOVELY! I love all the attention to detail! The closet doors and dresser are incredible. As is the wall treatment! Our son’s have similar passions, I adore your display of art!

xoxo,
    Jen

76. tammylee says:

kids rooms are just sooooo fun to decorate! great job, looks awesome.

77. linds says:

my husband is 35 and he STILL loves Star Wars! Just the other day he was watching the Clone Wars cartoon that he DVR’d!

78. Love this room and what a fun blog to read!!! I adore the little red boots! :) I really like how the closet doors turned out…I’ve had this idea in mind for my daughter’s room which has one wall filled with 2 double door closets so now that I’ve seen how great it looks and the impact it makes on the room, will definitely put the idea to work!

79. The room is amazing! I love it!

80. I just recently found your blog. Love it. What a wonderful boys room. Thanks for sharing. What is the wall paint color. It’s Gorgeous!!!!

81. Tara says:

Love it! I was wondering if you could give dtls on the hanging lamp. I’d like to make something similar for over my son’s bed and there’s no wiring in the ceiling. Thanks!

82. Jocelyn says:

I’VE BEEN DRAWN TO YOUR SITE DAILY EVER SINCE THE NATE BERKUS SHOW! I LOVE, LOVE THIS ROOM. I TOO HAVE A LITTLE BOY AND WAS CLUELESS ABOUT HOW TO CREATE THE PERFECT ROOM FOR HIM! NOW, I THINK I CAN TACKLE IT! THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR CREATIVITY!

83. Jil says:

Can’t wait to hear which teal colour you used! Stunning – and such a sweet little boy!

84. Katharine says:

I love what you did with your son’s room. Soooo smart to paint it a color he can grow with. Did you create the nautical mirror (next to the sail boat)? I laughed when I saw his toys under the bed, all ready to play again. It was a great contrast to the very organized room and looked like where he loves to hang out. How old is he? Your son is adorable!

85. Jeanette says:

What is the paint color….love it.

86. Donna Levi says:

Kate, so fabulous! Great job and huge transformation. Well done and I love the way you did the art work and shelves. Incredible!

87. jessica says:

Everything about this is precious! I have a soon to be 5 year old boy that needs a room revamp and this makes me what to get started pronto!

88. Pam Pike says:

What a wonderful room. You did a great job. It’s fabulous!!!

89. Jill says:

I absolutely love this room. I have a 3-year-old son that would love it too. We are going to turn his room into a big boy room in the next month so this gives me a lot of inspiration. Thank you so much!

90. Cha Cha says:

I love it all, but that dresser is great!!!!! Love the whole room thanks for inspiring me.

Cha Cha

91. Carrie says:

It’s wonderful! Wish I could sleep there! I’m in the processing of doing the same thing for my 3 year-old little girl. Yesterday I posted a design board for her room and I’d love it if you’d pop over to my blog and tell me what you think…especially where the drapes are concerned. I bought a paint sample today and put some up. Tomorrow I’ll post pics of it after I get a daylight shot. Wish I could use a twin bed as the room is quite small but we already had a full and it doubles as extra guest room space since all of our family lives in other states. I’d love your advice!!!

92. Courtney says:

Oh, Kate, where to start? Love, love: the closet doors, the dresser, the color, the board and batten..I seriously need to put on my “good mommy” hat and do something w/my boys room. It is beautiful!!!

93. As always, you did an amazing job. Love the contrast between the teal and white and the pictures on the wall, especially the little orange handprint. Love that they all mean something. Great job, can’t wait to put it on my site!

94. Laura says:

I would just like to add that I checked out the website recommended for fabrics and I am in love! thanks for posting, i will be turning to that site for our new baby nursery for pillows and/or curtain fabric. Thanks for posting and thanks for the discount code.

95. LillyL says:

Hi !! I think you have done such a great job on your son’s room. We have been doing some remodeling around our house. The walls are all white, except for my sewing room, which was recently redone and our bed room which has horrid stripes on the wall and will be made over soon. My son has the master bedroom with walk-in closet. I made the closet into a TV room for him. I need to paint and do SOMETHING with the hand-me-down furniture. It is all wood and I have no idea what to do with the space. I hung up awards from school, pictures of family. I have not gotten much more creative than that. I love the ideas you have, as well as I have some of my own, but do not have any to pull it all together. If you have any could you let me know ? I can send some pics. for an idea of what I have to work with. Thanks so much !! I love your blog !!

96. Kathy M says:

An adorable room! I love how fresh it looks and how you’ve incorporated Star Wars in a way that isn’t cheesy. I bought Star Wars pillow cases to satisfy my son’s request for Star Wars room. Luckily, it worked.

97. Having seen how talented you are and being able to tell by your words and actions how much you love this little guy I was not surprised to find this room turned out as fabulous as it has. Part of the joy on that adorable happy face comes from how lucky he feels to have such a loving, caring, talented Mom. You are ever so versatile and imaginative, thanks for allowing us to share in the results of your love and talent.

Wow, thank you so much everyone, I am overwhelmed with your kindness. YOU inspire ME.
    xo

99. Beckie says:

Oh Kate it is absolutely breathtaking. Every last details is UH-MAZING. Thanks for letting us in your home. I love every bit of it.