It’s A Madhouse

February 23, 2011

The last 48 hours just about did me in.  But I keep coming back to that famous saying, “That which does not kill you sends you to the madhouse.”

You see, I got this phone call many weeks ago. I was just returning home from Tahoe, and heard a voice on my answering machine, saying something about a magazine and “. . . your home is lovely and we’d like to talk to you about a photo shoot . . .”  I listened and listened and thought, oh geez, one of my friends is crank calling me, ha ha ha ha.

christmas ideas mag 2Then I listened some more and this lovely voice sounded completely legit.  So I picked up the phone, and guess what?  It was Better Homes & Gardens.  Wow.

So for the last two months, all my Christmas stuff has still been up in my house.

I’m convinced that my neighbors must think I’m absolutely cuckoo.  I can hear them now.  “What’s wrong with that family?  It’s February, for goodness sake, take your Christmas tree down!”

So I’ve suffered the shame of the neighborhood for a photo shoot in BH&G’s ‘Christmas Ideas’ magazine, taking place in my house on Thursday!  “Excited” does not begin to describe.

I had a huge dilemma a few weeks ago.  When one resides in California, where does one find fresh real cedar garland in February?

fresh cedar

One does a lot of research.  One makes friends with an online resource.

Thank you Lynch Creek Farm for coming to my rescue!

lynch creek farm

However one cannot decorate their home until fresh greenery arrives late Monday, which only allow for Tuesday and Wednesday to basically recreate Christmas in your home for a magazine.  Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

The last 48 hours put me in extreme survival mode, as evidenced by the collection of coffee cups in my car console.

coffee cups

There have been mad dashes for spray paint and wired ribbon.  Searches high and low for felt and truffles.  I’ve been precariously balanced on top of ladders and barstools, hanging greenery like a mad woman.

It’s a bit chaotic, can you tell?

balance on high boy

This is not staged.  This is my life.

Then mommy brain kicked in.  It’s been two whole months, how the heck did I decorate again?  I could use some guidance here.  Hey, that’s right I have a blog, refer to online pictures.

apothecary jar

This photo reminds me of something… what is it?

Oh yes.

“The claw . . . The claw decides who will stay and who will go!”

.I’m s .I’m sorry, I’m just a bit punchy right now.

Yet there are miles to go before I sleep tonight.

presents to wrap

As of now, I’m going underground.  I am unreachable for the next 36 hours.  And if you really love me, since I’m supposed to be ‘dressed in party attire’ in the kitchen shot, you’ll tweet me at 12 p.m Pacific time Thursday with this:  “Don’t forget to wear your Spanx!”

Thanks, you’re a true friend.

smiley_thumb6

xoxo,

cg kate signature

Tags: , ,

135 Responses to “It’s A Madhouse”

1. Aubrey says:

That really is so amazing!!! You are such an inspiration and of course BH&G’s called you, your house is amazing!!! I’m still giggling about “the claw” comments…(c:

2. Vivienne says:

Congrats! That is wonderful!
    (And did you really just quote both Toy Story AND Robert Frost in the same paragraph?! Classic! You ARE talented!)

3. Holy smokes, I would be crazy too!! All worth it though, how exciting!!

4. Pamela K. says:

I love this post! Totally made me crack up! :-D Good luck with the photoshoot. I’m sure it will go great! Can’t wait to see this issue this holiday season!

5. Sue says:

You are certainly having an exciting life these days…just remember all that success you wished for…this is it! Enjoy! I’m really excited for you and can’t wait to read about you in the mag!

6. Leslie M says:

Oh, I hope it went well!

7. Rachel says:

um i can’t believe you left your stuff up since Christmas. not in a bad way. in a i’d-tear-it-all-down-come-january-15th kind of way. i admire that. good job. nice pluck. oh and your puns, they made me laugh.

8. So exciting, congrats Kate!! It will be fabulous!

9. Stephanie says:

Omg kate!!
    Such great news! Im so happy for you!!
    I adore your blog! My 3 little mini decorators enjoy seeing wjat you are up to daily:)
    They were so excited to see you live on nates show!!
    Thank you for all you do!

10. barbara says:

How FUN!!! I took part in one of these several years ago at a friends garden! Only they gave a concept..and we pulled it off. I helped and we brainstormed and it was amazing fun! The photo shoot was fun.. Andrea is who we worked with. have a BALL!!

11. Congrats, congrats!! You truly deserve this awesome honor! Can’t WAIT to see the shoot in my BHG come November :). Congrats again!!

12. Dawn says:

I think your ideas are just lovely and shared your blog with my very dearest friend, whose taste is soooo much like yours. You definitely are gifted with an eye for style and a lot of energy, too. Please take care of yourself and put your hubby and children first…then don’t feel guilty to consider the opportunities that lie ahead as long as it doesn’t flip flop your priorities.
    Thank you for sharing your inspiration and hard work with others.
    Dawn

13. What fun ~ Christmas in February. I vote for vacation for you in March.

Fondly,
    Glenda

14. Marie says:

Oh I love this post! Especially the “chaotic” picture lol. Congrats!! When is that magazine coming out?? You inspire me. We moved into our first house a few months ago and focused on renovating the basement. But soon our couch will be delivered – and the living/dining room needs painting, we need CURTAINS…I don’t know where to begin! Help…feel free to pass by any advice from you would be so appreciated. xx

15. Wanda says:

BHG has great taste. Best wishes regarding your magazine spread. I can not wait to see it. I know it will lovely!!

16. Shannon says:

I love Toy Story and Death Proof (where I heard the last quote in there)! Congratulations on having your house published. That’s so neat! By now, everything is over so I hope you are resting a well deserved rest! :D

17. Jennifer says:

Hilarious! I am so happy for you!! YEAH can’t wait for Christmas to see the mag!

18. WOW. I am so inspired by your passion, dedication, and success. Keep up the great work, we’re all rootin’ for ya:)

-Nicole

19. Congratulations!! You deserve this…you are an inspiration to us all. Can’t wait for Christmas to see your amazing work.

20. Congrats! Can’t wait to see the mag! And I’m impressed – from the photos it looks like you had to re-wrap fake presents? You’re attention to detail is great and probably why they’re featuring you!

PS. The coffee cups pic makes me feel like I’m not along in the caffeinated world :)

21. Caro says:

Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well. I’ll be anxious to hear about it. And, don’t forget your Spanx:).

22. Kim from NC says:

SO excited for you! Can’t wait to see the finished product and buy the magazine…next November? I’m sure you ‘hit it outta the park’ – great job!

23. Sherry says:

If anyone can do it…YOU can! You go girl!! Power to ya!

24. Wow!! This is SO incredibly cool!!! I know your place will be fab… can’t believe you have to get it all out again (I think my hubs would die if I did that right now ;) but so worth it! Can’t wait to hear all about it!! Best of luck! xo

25. Jamie says:

Congrats! that’s so awesome, but man – christmas in Feb…uh. Love the claw comment. ha!

26. Carol says:

That is so awesome. I’m sure we all appreciate what a major under-taking this must be, but you are doing this for the betterment of man — no, no, that would be the betterment of your bloggy sisters who will all be waiting with bated breath for the issue to hit the newsstand. You will, of course, let us know well in advance so that we may all get a copy, right? I do hope you will blog this entire thing so that we may enjoy your BH&G fame. Please, please?
    CAS

27. Amy Dow says:

Oh I LOVE that special mag edition!! I saved the last one and put it away with my Christmas decorations to use OVER AND OVER again!!! What an honor for you! Congrats from IL!!! Here is wishing you the Christmas spirit in February! I will definitely buy the issue when it comes out at the end of the year! There ya go….one issue…sold! Best of luck to you!

28. Wow, congrats! I look forward to that magazine every year, and now I’ll have a reason to buy up every copy! Have fun with it, and remember, YOU DON’T NEED SPANX!!! :)

29. Linda says:

Congratulations !!!! Lots of hard work….. can’t wait to hear all about it!!

30. I missed this post yesterday. How exciting for you! I can’t wait to see the results! Do we have to wait until the mag comes out though? Cause that’s just not fair. :)
    In a military community, where many spouses are deployed during the holidays, it’s not unusual to have Christmas trees left up until Feb or Mar or even April so the family can celebrate Christmas together after the service member comes home. We wouldn’t think you were weird at all. :)

31. Cynthia says:

Congratulations! My craft room appeared in a national magazine a few years ago. It was so fun to see how they stage the room etc. Have fun with it!

32. Paula says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see your article when it comes out!

33. Jessie says:

Kate you are a HOOT! Reading this post made me laugh and smile. What a cool treat to have your home featured. I would have been a basket case for sure. Good Luck, which you will not need. Just be the amazing lady you are and all will go well.

34. I have been out of the loop on my blog reading, and I totally missed this. I just wanted to say congratulations, albeit very late in the game, because this is a total honor and compliment! Not too long ago I saw it was only your second blog anniversary. and I was totally blown away by that. You certainly work hard, are totally talented, and deserve all that is coming your way. You are an inspiration, and I wish you more success like these!