Happenings and Thoughts

February 21, 2011

Hello hello, happy Monday!  Hope you had a great weekend!  There’s a lot going on this week around here.  Wish I had a ‘finished’ project to reveal today, but nope, just a whole lotta ‘works in progress’.   I have a fun craft to show you tomorrow, but today is a holiday, a slow Monday, a day to sit around in my pajamas with my kiddos.  Here’s just a few tidbits, musings, and thoughts from the past weeks.

First, I must share, I’m really enjoying this book with my morning coffee.  Don’t you love the cover?  And the teaser?  “An encyclopedia of forgotten yet delightful chic, useful, curious and otherwise commendable things from times gone by.”

It’s filled with all those nostalgic things we treasure from the good ol’ days and hunt for at flea markets, plus the novelties we spy in old movies and hear about from our grandparents.

lets bring back

Why yes think we should bring back braids, car tail fins, double features, kitten heels, pocket watches, and wicker baskets on bicycles !

Next, the sad and happy news.  A tragedy occurred in our household a few weeks ago.  My Nikon D60 clicked its last.  I was snapping away.  Click!  Click!  Click!  Then all of a sudden I heard this.

Cah-click.  Cah-click.  Cah……

Then nothing.

nikon-d60_thumb1

This has happened once before, and a professional repair solved the problem.  But this “Error” message was happening once again.  I’m thinking with all the pictures I’ve snapped with paint residue on my hands, I must have clogged up her parts.  Long story short, after much research, but also four faithful years and probably 50,000 pics, I had to retire my D60 for now.  To replace her, I invested in a Nikon D90.

Thankfully, I only had to buy the body, all my existing lenses fit.  Even better, my local camera shop agreed to match the best internet deal I could find!  I’m still getting to know the D90, but so far things are lookin’ good, like these pretty Valentine roses.

fuscia-roses_thumb2

A few years ago, I ran a half marathon, and I’m seriously thinking about training for another one.  Someone either talk me out of it, or convince me to do it.  I’m on the fence.

finished

I don’t care if Honeysuckle is ‘Color of the Year’, I’m still so very much in love with turquoise.

turquoise favorites

via here and here

Lately, I’m making more egg dishes, inspired by these gourmet preparations.

egg dishes

pancetta & egg salad; ham & egg crepe squares; cuddled eggs with bacon

The other day my baby turned seven.

seven year old

It happened overnight while I was sleeping.  I am not prepared for this.

When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me he planned to put me in the ‘shrink box’ because I was growing up to fast.  At the time, I was confused, but now I know what he meant.  Hey Dad, could I please borrow that ‘shrink box’?  Tell me you have it in storage somewhere, I really really need it right now.

I signed my little darling up for Daisies last year, which means as part of the Girl Scout organization, I have several cases of these in my kitchen.

girl scout cookie cartons

We’re supposed to sell them.  In truth I know I am contractually bound to support the Troop, which I interpret as this:

girl scout cookies

If you have a daughter in Girl Scouts, you will also find in the fine print that you are legally required to consume your fair share of Thin Mints and Samoas.

My little boy’s room looks like this.

boys room

We’re in the middle of a board and batten project.   The mister wanted to chase the Sunday sunshine and wait till next weekend, but then I reminded him that until this project is done, the lad will be crashing in our bedroom at night.  Funny how that motivated him to get back on the job . . .

But it might have been PW’s Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas I made for him, with extra goat’s milk cheddar.  Heavenly!

spinach and mushroom quesadillas

We made a lot of progress on the lad’s room, hoping to reveal soon!  That’s where I am this week.   What’s new with you?

Started any good books or fun projects lately?

124 Responses to “Happenings and Thoughts”

1. MemeGRL says:

Oh-so-jealous you have actual Samoas! Around here, the scouts use a different baker and they are called something else, they are smaller, the coconut is not toasted and the chocolate is milk instead of dark. The good news is–I gave up on buying them! But I’m glad that there is hope of an actual honest-to-goodness Samoa crossing my lips again! (Do you have actual Tagalongs too, or are they called “Peanut Butter Patties” instead?)

2. Kate says:

I grew up with my mom as the cookie mom in my Girl Scouts troop. That meant that for seven years, we always wound up with a bunch of boxes of extra cookies (we ended up buying quite a few leftovers from what didn’t sell at the cookie booth). To this day, I miss the cookie truck that would drop off dozens of cases of cookies into our garage for us to distribute.

3. I’m like the turquoise much better than honeysuckle pink. Turquoise is still popping up everywhere!

4. The Girl Scout cookie dilemma made me laugh. The other night as my hubby and I opened yet another box of chocolate covered peanut butter cookies he got really mad at me for having all these Girl Scout Cookies in the house. So I had to take what I had back to our troop leaders house for “safe keeping” until our booth sale. We already owe for about 20 boxes we ate ourselves!

5. Melissa says:

I’m new to your blog, and I love it! Recently discovered you while trying to find help to refurbish some thift store finds. Love reading your blog, you write so well!

6. Oh you soooo have to do the half marathon again! I’m back in training for a sprint-tri (this will be my third). But, seriously, I haven’t done a thing since last years. Well, okay except swimming once a week. My 2 new running partners (Buddy the dog & Nike+) just joined me for my first jog since last year. It was tough, but it felt so good to get off my blogger butt!

I know you can do it! You truly can do anything you put your mind to and then some. I’ve seen it in your projects!!!

Have a great week.

Brittany

7. Sandra says:

Ahh, the shrink box. With a 13 and 10 yr old I am in need of said device too. For a good book I recommend The Noticer by Andy Andrews. It comes with a wonderful side of perspective. Not home or design related but good nonetheless.

8. Leslie M.P. says:

Okay, this is a little off the path here…but I really love your mug in the first shot! I like to pick up pretty teacups and mugs for gift baskets.

9. Patti says:

Just found you yesterday and I am in heaven. My husband wanted to know how I could sit at the computer for HOURS and just what was I reading? We are remodeling a 70’s ranch ourselves and we are a year in. Still a few projects to go and we will complete them as money/time allows. You have provided soooo much helpful information. Thank you for that. :)
    About the half marathon, I ran one in 2007 and loved every minute of it including the training. It does take time to train but what great “me time” that is. I say GO FOR IT!

10. diane says:

Oh how I long for seven! Remember that song “turn around and you’re a young woman walking out of the door” Time flies and my only baby just turned 23….I hate it. Enjoy seven because soon it will be 8 (which is still a lovely age) and then 18 (not so lovely). If you find that shrink box send it my way. BTW…if you have the time go for the marathon…then you can say you have run it twice and never have to do another one!

11. Leslie says:

I’ve loved reading your blog these past few months since I stumbled across it and have gotten some great ideas from you. I spied the Sterling winery wine bottle, and it made me so glad to know I’ll be able to visit it again next month when I take a trip with some girlfriends up to Calistoga. Yay!

12. Brandi says:

I love you site! Also, I just ran my first full marathon last weekend and everything about it was so fulfilling! I did the half last year, and it was less of a time committment(no 20 miles runs) but still so wonderful. By all means, do it! You will feel fantastic about yourself(not that you shouldn’t anyway!)
    Best Wishes, Brandi

13. Brandi says:

Best Wishes, Brandi

14. courtney says:

I have been saying no to every girl scout. I feel awful, but I must lose this baby weight. And if there in the house I will eat every one. Not sure what to do if my little one wants to be a girl scout : ) And your baby is adorable. Isn’t it amazing how time just keeps flying by…

15. Felicia says:

I was in Daisies growing up! I was so pleased to hear it again. Although it was part of Missionettes, instead of girl scouts (basically the same, apart from its biblical background). I am currently doing a Laundry Room makeover! The washer and dryer we inherited with our home finally went on the blink! So instead of getting a handy man over to fix it I convinced my husband to let me get a new set! I can’t possibly put my new beauties in such a dull boring room so make over it is! I agree with you 100% I see honey suckle every were, but turquoise and teal still hold my heart! Have a happy day, and I will look forward to seeing your finished projects!

16. Lily says:

Oh! I love everything about this post. 1. Your daughter is beautiful. Mine is turning nine in May and i can hardly cope. So i am with you on this. Yikes! 2. Those eggs look absolutely amazing! Maybe i better learn to cook. Hard to look at delightful little numbers like those and know with complete certainty that i couldn’t make them even if offered a thousand dollars. 3. re:the half marathon. YES. you DEFINITELY should train for this and DO IT! Maybe you could choose your favorite cause, and run it for them? It will be so satisfying for you and there is no time like the future! GO GO GO! (ok, i hate running but my husband does marathons every year, so i am a great cheerleader!) But still DO IT! YES.

17. lynne says:

So run the 1/2 :0) Its a fun distance and the courses are usually sooooo pretty.

18. Sue@housepretty says:

I have to say, the turquoise still wins with me. I love whites and the colors of water, ie. blues and greens. Although, I’m not much into trends. I go for what I like, which is not necessarily the color of the day. Funny you should mention a marathon, because I swim laps at a YMCA every morning and once on weekends, so, 6 days a week. I ran into a guy who was considering entering a marathon, and I mentioned to my husband that that would be interesting, until he pointed out that my arthritis may be a slight hindering point. So, I think I will just stick to my half mile, working toward the 1 mile mark in the pool. And yes, I do have a “good read”. I’m just finishing a book titled “Bruchko And The Motilone Miracle”, subtitle “How Bruce Olson Brought A Stone Age Tribe Into The 21st Century”, authors Bruce Olson with James Lund. FASCINATING!

19. Jamie says:

Yes! Do the 1/2 Marathon! Actually, if you’re nervous about doing another 1/2, then look for a 10 mile race. I’ve done both and I love, love the 10 mile. There’s just something about that extra 3 miles that makes a 1/2 miserable. :) but, I’ll probably be doing another 1/2 marathon again in the fall. The Monster Dash in MN is SO FUN! over Halloween and everyone dresses in costumes. Yes, it’s only around 30 – 40 degrees out, but I am from MN. haha

20. Melanie says:

I have been on a blogging break and haven’t been reading any blog either. I am behind but I just wanted to know if you like your D90? I have a D40 (just the beginner one) and a D70 that my bil gave me. It has a very small screen and my 43 yr. old eyes can’t see it to well. Just wondering if you like it.

21. Melissa says:

I was thinking about this post this morning as I drove my son to preschool and thought about bringing back things of the past. I pictured someone riding by on a bicycle with a basket and thought it would be so charming, but then I thought, “What if that was commonplace? Would it still be charming?” I concluded that sometimes what makes items so charming is their attachment to days of yore and the fact that they are out of place in today’s world. :-)

22. Felicia says:

Hey! I have a question about your camera. I am going to be getting a new camera, and I am am wondering why you chose the Nikon D90 over the Canon T2i (550D), I am not sure if you did the research or not, but I am so torn! I don’t know any one who uses the Canon, and your the only one I know who has used the Nikon, so can you share some knowledge? Thanks!
    Oh, and I would definitely do the marathon!

23. linda conran says:

Hello, love your blog so much. I would love to use the brad nailer for several new chair cushions. Never tried this before but you make it sound so easy. Thanks for the giveaway opportunity.

24. Sarah M says:

You should definitely do the half marathon! Think of how great you’ll feel when you’ve achieved it, and the training will have its own positive effects too! Just make sure you leave enough time to blog – we’d miss you!