New York + Nate

January 21, 2011

I just got back from the Big Apple very  late last night.  I’ve never been to New York City in January, and it was cold baby cold!  But not unbearable, in fact it was rather brisk.  Do people still use that word?  Brisk?  Anyway, I do a ton of walking when in NYC, and this trip was no exception.  I was staying on the upper west side.  In past trips, I haven’t had a chance to really explore it all that much, so this was the perfect opportunity!  The Upper West Side felt very "You’ve Got Mail” (minus the gorgeous weather in the film) and understandably so, since most of the movie was shot there.

I was scheduled for the afternoon taping with Nate, so I spent the earlier hours walking around the upper west side.  Loved it!  Here’s a few scenes from my long morning walk, forgive the cloudiness of some of these photos, the lens kept getting foggy from the morning drizzle!

central park taxi

dakota building

kids park

italian restaurant new york

Gorgeous brownstones! Imagine this street in spring . . .

brownstones

theodore roosevelt park

ny church

ny museum natural history

Central Park is always beautiful, even in winter.

ny lampost

ny central park rocks

seat in central park

The one place I wanted to visit was the NY Historical Society Museum, but it was closed for renovation.  Boo.

ny historical society

So instead, I made friends with these critters in the park.  They only loved me for my crackers.

ny squirrel

me n lenny
“Um, no Sir, I mean I’m sorry Sir Mr. Bird.  It’s all gone.”

were outta here birds

Sorry.  I just imagine these conversations when I travel alone.  Smile

I love the streets of New York, the energy, the pulse, the architecture.

ny architecture

ny architecture 2

You never know what you’ll see on any given day, like these three guys moving a sofa down the street . . .

sofa movers

So many moms (and nannies) walking dogs and children.

stroller

mom and dogs

This was the closest I got to these two landmarks on this short trip.

Salt & pepper shakers.

ny skyscrapers salt and pepper

I stayed at The Lucerne, chosen by The Nate Show, I had a giant king bed and a great view, it was very very nice!

the lucerne

I also ate at the hotel’s French restaurant, NIce Matin, for dinner the night before, it was packed with people for good reason, fantastic food!  I popped in to take a picture the next morning for the wallpaper all over this swanky restaurant.  Is it just me, or does this wall kind of remind you of a petri dish?

nice matin

The show sent drivers to pick up this suburban tourist from the airport, and also drive me to the show.  Wow, that’s a first for me, nice perk!

ny drivers
The Nate Show gave me my own dressing room, or ‘green’ room.  The entire staff takes great care of you, from making sure you’re informed about every detail, to getting you to hair and makeup!!!

hair and makeup

For the show, I was the 4th of 6 segments.  Having visited the studio before, I was familiar with the set, so that took the edge off.  Whew!  My segment was certainly the shortest ~ the show opened with a big celebrity guest, an awesome table stylist, me, then Michelle Adams.

You know Michelle Adams, EIC of Lonny Magazine?  She’s only one of the nicest and classiest gals to walk this planet.  See her looking so fabulous?  And me with my fugly travel clothes and flyaway ‘just walked the drizzled streets of NY’ hair?  Yeah.

michelle adams and me

So I made a “brilliant” wardrobe choice.  A short black skirt.  So they start playing my corny House Proud video (corny because of me, not the editors, they are totally fab), and I have to walk a mile across the stage in 60 seconds and get situated with Nate.

Then I see them.  Barstools.  HIGH barstools.  And me wearing very short skirt.

Panic.

The clock is ticking.  15…14…13… seconds until that red light comes on.

Me staring at high barstools: “Um, I’m wearing a short skirt.”

Camera Crew:  “You’ll be fine.  We will letcha know if you can see anything.  We’ll just crop your skirt out”.

Me:  “Um . . OK”.   Panicking inside that the world will see my, ahem, undergarments.

Camera Crew:  “You’re cool”

Me: “Um . .” nervous glance at short skirt

10…9…8…

Angel of Mercy a.k.a. Director:  “Would you be more comfortable if you were standing?”

Me:  “YES !!!”

7….6….5….

Loud guy shouts:  "BARSTOOLS OFFSTAGE!!"

So then I stepped off the barstool and tripped on the slate at the bottom of the fireplace on the set.  Caught myself, sorta straightened my top.

4….3….2….

Red light!  Smile and talk girl.  So I did.

There are three words I remember using:   "remodeling," "coax" and "strip".  I pray to God that last word I used was when I was talking about my staircase.  I’m not really sure.  It was all a blur.  So then another 60 seconds go by, we wrap it up, and then I told Nate he was an inspiration, hugged him and left the stage.  The End.  Sorta.  I actually had a very brief chat with him after.

Ten Things You Should Know About Nate Berkus.   He is 1. Genuine  2. The Ultimate Professional  3. Down to Earth  4. Witty  5. Tireless  6. Incredibly Kind  7. Welcoming 8. Crazy Talented  9. Runs a Tight Ship and 10. Extremely Good Looking (of course this last one we all know).

And he has an amazing staff.  If you ever get a call from these two fabulous people Lori or Curran (Rachel too!) from The Nate Show, run don’t walk, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Call them back immediately, because they are the absolute best at what they do, and couldn’t be any kinder or more attentive.  Big big props to the staff at The Nate Berkus Show.

kate lori curran

I just heard my brief ‘House Proud’ segment with Nate will air February 3rd!  Yay!

My drive to the airport included Fifth Avenue, always a favorite place for high style and eye candy!

bergdorf goodman

chanel and lady

I love this city.  Where else can you stare at amazing architecture, feed a squirrel, eat anything you want, watch locals moving furniture down Broadway, catch a yellow cab, and appear on TV all within in a few city blocks and within a few short hours?

only in ny title

But it’s good to be home.

xoxo,

cg kate signature

130 Responses to “New York + Nate”

1. Auntie Colleen says:

GREAT GREAT POST – LOVE THE TALKING BIRDS – ALL WONDERFUL PICS!!! PRICELESS STORY THAT’S SO MUCH FUN TO READ!
    SO EXCITED FOR THE 3RD! GO GIRL! HUGE HUGS!!!!

2. HannahJ says:

What an AMAZINg recap- couple days-experience! So exciting! You are AWESOME!

3. Adrienne says:

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!! I LOVE YOUR PRESENTATION AND STORY!!
    I CAN’T WAIT TO TALK AND SEE THE SHOW!!
    I LOVE YOU!!
    MOM

4. Yvonne says:

How absolutely cool! I love Nate and I love your blog! Can’t wait to see your segment in Feb.! Thanks for sharing all of your amazing talents with the world. You Rock!

5. Paulina J! says:

First, CONGRATS! What a wonderful opportunity!! Second, you broke my heart. I grew up in NY, but now live in the South and have been extremely homesick the past few days :(
    I really enjoyed the pictures and the talking NY birds!! You nailed the accent. Isn’t it weird that they don’t run away and just walk around the crowds. I always said they are gangsta pigeons. Guess they are just used to being around people.
    Also, just started reading your blog and I’m now subscribed. Love it and have spent a ridiculous amount of time reading old posts :)

6. Erica says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see the show and I am glad you love my home town. Your post made me a bit homesick but thats o.k. because I know that NYC will always be there. Next time you visit pop into ABC Carpet and Home. I would love to see your take on it.

As for your skirt…made me laugh!

7. Kelly says:

Congrats on the Nate show. I can’t wait to see it. So happy you enjoyed my home town. It is beautiful! You got out just in time we had snow again last night. BTW LOVE your blog!!!!!

8. Nadir@StitchSense says:

It seems like you had such a great time! Your outfit was adorable! I can’t wait to see the show, how exciting!

9. Debra says:

Just Wonderful! I’ve got my TV all set to record the show. You looked great and I’m sure it’ll be a terrific show.

Debra

10. Jennifer says:

What a fun post! :D
    I love the cute little animals! The bird quotes were spot on! Really cute/funny
    BTW, I still use the word brisk and I am only 24….maybe that’ll make you feel better? Either way, even if no one uses it, still go for it! It’s fun to bring back pleasant old words (not tacky ones from scary decades that is, if you catch my drift :) )

11. elz says:

Awesome, Kate. Very well deserved and sounds like a blast. What a Life List item. Can’t wait to see your piece.

12. Kelly says:

Kate, huge congratulations! What a fun honor, and so well-deserved. Thanks for the mini-vacay to NYC through your post… can’t wait to tune in!

13. Crystal says:

Oh how exciting to go on the Nate Berkus Show. I will have to mark Feb 3rd on my calendar. You are right NYC is just fabulous for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I think NYC is just so exhilirating that is touches all of your senses and creates such a great experience, at least for me :)

14. Shel says:

Have marked that on my calendar! Crazy exciting for me to see you on the Nate show since you are the first blogger I started following after that first day of blog surfing. So glad for you!

15. Charlene says:

Sounds like a fabulous trip!!! I can’t wait to watch – congrats!!!

16. I love all of your pictures and can’t wait to see you on the show! Remind us!!!

17. Juliana Fox says:

I love your blog and totally related to your Nate experience. My sisters and I were able to be on his show in November and it was so memorable! We stayed at the lucerne and had a driver too!!!

18. Congratulations, Kate! You’ve done a fab job in the blogosphere that it’s time you get TV exposure. So happy for you. Here’s a virtual high five :)

19. Congratulations!

I think that’s the fattest squirrel I have ever seen! I guess everything is “bigger” in NYC! :))

20. Anna marie says:

My dream is to one day be in the audience on the Nate show, great pics, love the detail you put in, Great job!

21. what a great post and trip….can’t wait to see your segment!

22. marked my calendar and can’t wait to see your segment! love your recap…sounds like a whirl wind blast!

23. Wow! Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see your segment. Love Nate too!

24. Congratulations!! I was on the Nate Berkus Show a while back. His team is very nice and warm!! I loved my experience. I can’t wait until you post your segment!!!! How fun!!

25. Fran Marie says:

Ay! Don’t none of us New Yawkahs tawk like dat boid!!!!!

LOL! We can tawk howevah we want! We are the Center of the Universe!!!

Seriously, thanks for visiting our fine City and I can’t wait to see you on Nate!!

26. Jules says:

Yay! Can’t wait to see you on the show! Your blog is definitely the best of all! I bet the others that complained of the infamous trip are dying of envy! You deserve it!!

27. Jackie says:

I really loved this post! I am a longtime reader and I grew up, and still live in, Manhattan. I love seeing visitors appreciate my home city. When you get a chance to come back, be sure to take a walking tour on the Upper East Side for some GORGEOUS architecture! Basically make your way in the area between Park Ave and 5th Avenue, and between East 67th up to East 84th (and outside of that area too of course but I don’t want you to get too tired!) Check out Google Streetview for a preview until you can make it there in person. Keep up the great work!

28. Sandy says:

Oh gosh I saw you today. I was running around the house scream “I follow her blog” … DH thought the house was on fire. You were TERRIFIC.

29. Michaela says:

So exciting!! You look beautiful, Kate! Can’t wait to watch the show on TiVo!

30. Melinda says:

I will watch your episode tomorrow, as I recorded it while at work today. I know you did a great job! Can’t wait to see it. Sounds like you had an amazing trip to NYC and the Nate show. What fun! Love & blessings from NC!