New Favorite Reads

January 18, 2011

Hi all!  I’m on an airplane across the country today, one of several trips I’m taking over the next few weeks.  Airplane travel always justifies a trip to the bookstore for some new books plus a handful of glossy magazines, so I picked up some new reads today.

There’s a few great books on my nightstand right now that I’ve read lately, so I thought I’d share.

kates nightstand

Let’s start with the eye candy. I’m loving Suzanne Kasler’s Inspired Interiors*, 200 pages full of classic elegant spaces, just my style!

Suzanne Kasler: Inspired Interiors

Also, Jan Shower’s Glamorous Rooms, more timeless beautiful spaces and understated elegance on all 200 pages.

Glamorous Rooms

I’m also been enjoying Nina Garcia’s The One Hundred: A Guide to The Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own.  It lists all the classic fashion essentials from A to Z, from a camel coat to knee high boots.  It was just released in paperback too, this one makes a great gift for any girlfriend!

the one hundred

The best witty fiction I’ve read in years is Muriel Barbery’s The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  I laughed my way through the entire book, it’s incredibly well written.

hedgehog

Here’s a poignant collection of short reflections on change and grace that I’m truly enjoying, Shauna Niequist’s Bittersweet.  “Change is good in a way that childbirth is good, heartbreak is good and failure is good . . . it can push us, pull us, rebuke us and remake us. . . it is a function of God’s graciousness not life’s cruelty.”   Love that.

bittersweet_cover

At the bookstore today, I picked up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and City of Thieves by David Benioff.  I haven’t read them yet, but I’m about to get started.  Have you read either of them?  What did you think?

dragon thieves

With my kids, we’ve been enjoying the classics The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  I loved both of these when I was young, so it’s nostalgic to read them to my children.

wind in willows tollbooth

For my little boy, we’re also enjoying these recent finds, If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen and Shark v. Train by Chris Barton.  My four year old son loves these two!

boys books

My six year old daughter is reading the classic Imogene’s Antlers by David Small, Owl Moon by Jane Yolen, Those Darn Squirrels by Adam Rubin, and Someday by Eileen Spinelli.

girls books

And I’ve been brushing up on my Home Rules by Nate Berkus.  Not only does he have impeccable taste and the most sensible style, he is the king of creating inviting spaces.

nate berkus home rules

But most relevant because, drumroll please . . . .

I’m going to be on his show on Wednesday!!!!

Hence the plane trip to NYC today !

I’m excited but a little nervous too.

books near bed

I keep having that dream, you know the one where you’re called onstage, then as you walk in, you slip and fall and your skirt goes flying up, and all you can hear and see is the crowd laughing out loud in extreme slow motion?  Yeah, that dream.  I keep having it.  Let’s hope it doesn’t become a reality.blushing girl

If you follow me on Twitter, I’ll be showing little glimpses of my day in NYC and The Nate Show taping on Wednesday.  Wish me luck, I’m gonna need it!

What’s on your nightstand that you’re loving right now?  Got a great design book you recommend?  A witty work of fiction or nonfiction?  A great children’s book?  Do share!

*no affiliate links anywhere here, just my favorite reads right now

120 Responses to “New Favorite Reads”

1. This is so awesome. I love his show.

2. Rebecca says:

Congratulations!

How exciting for you!

And just wear cute panties under your dress–no embarrassment that way…right?

I read “Dragon Tattoo” in November and was singularly bored with it.
    I wish I knew Swedish so I could see if that’s just a translation issue…

I just finished “The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake” which is beautiful, tragic, and true.
    I would highly recommend it.

3. Michele says:

Just set my DVR! This I can’t miss! Good luck and one of your loyal fans will be watching! :)

4. I saw your Tweet and had to come here to confirm my suspicions. That’s absolutely wonderful – 1000 Congrats!

5. {darlene} says:

wow!! good luck! You will be great!

6. congrats on the nate show! but let’s talk books- city of thieves was great, i was very invested in the two main characters and was thrown by the twist towards the end. i tried, really, i did, to read the girl with the dragon tattoo and the hedgehog book but i just could. not. do it. i second the sadness of lemon cake, it was very good, but i have to say two of the best books i read this year were room and i’d know you anywhere. you should definitely check them out.

7. Sharmin says:

Congratulations!!! How cool that you’re gonna be on Nate’s show!!!
    Don’t worry…once you get there, you’ll be talking about what you love and you’ll be in your element….I hope you have a blast!

Have you read any of Kate Di Camillo’s books with/to your kids? My daughter and I love her.

8. Heather says:

Okay, Tattoo book: Give it till page 160, then you’ll be completely hooked. And don’t worry, you’ll figure out the family along the way :) The second in the series, I never set down. Amazing. Still struggling a bit through the last one. I’ll work on it tonight in the KS snow.

Safe travels!

9. Linda Hyams says:

Loved City of Thieves. An engrossing, quick read. Even got my Hubby to read it and he is not a reader. That says something!! Congrats and how exciting for you!!!

10. Tessa says:

city of thieves – you will not be able to put it down. so, so, so good!!!

11. Erin R. says:

I tried reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo once, and it was tough for me to get past page 70, but the second time I tried reading it I got hooked. I have since read The Girl Who Played With Fire, and it is even better. Very captivating, but it does take a little while to get captivated. Don’t give up! It’s a good read :)

12. Julia E. says:

Steig Larsson is a fabulous author! I’m sad that there are only 3 in the series. They’re mystery, wrapped in drama, tumbled with intrigue – enjoy!

13. Daniela says:

I’ve read the “Girl with the dragon tattoo” and it’s a great book, you have to stick with it, it is fairly slow at first, but once it draws you in, you just can’t put it down. The second book “The girl who played with fire” is even better and much faster paced.

14. Chuck P says:

Great and creative site! Since you asked about books, I just read A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. Fantastic. A unique perspective on dogs and told from their POV. Funny, and sad and humbling. Good read!

15. brigwork says:

Just popped over for the first time from BrooklynLimestone. Love your blog! Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to find you.

City of Theives became one of my all time favorite books about a year ago. I actually gifted it to several family members on Christmas. It’s a keeper!

16. Jessie says:

If you enjoy “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” then the next two “The Girl who Played with Fire” and “The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest” are a MUST READ. I also thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy “The Hunger Games”. “The Help” was a wonderful read also.

I loved “The Girl” series too Jessie!

18. I just finished reading Elegance of the Hedgehog and LOVED it. I admit that while the characters made me feel like my IQ was scraping single digits at times, I couldn’t wait to spend more time with them and all their eccentricities. Oh, and the writing! It felt like poetry at times. I would love to know more about the author. She must be one brilliant and fascinating woman.

So glad you loved Elegance of the Hedgehog, one of my favorites to date!

20. Felicia says:

I just finished ‘Falling Home’by Karen White and ready to start ‘After the Rain’s. I read a sample on my kindle and knew it was a must read for me…try it!